Kalamata Travel Guide

Our Seafood lunch at Limeni in Kalamata
    The garden terrace
    by greekcypriot
    View of the marina from the restaurant

Kalamata Hotels

• Pharae Palace

Navarinou And R Ferreou Sts, Kalamata, Peloponnese, 24100, Greece

Satisfaction: Excellent

• Filoxenia

We stayed at this hotel twice (september 2003&2004) and we were more than satisfied. Hotel is...

• Elektra Hotel & Spa

Psaron 152, Kalamata, 24100, Greece

Satisfaction: Excellent

Good for: Families

• Elite Hotel

I have never stayed at the Elite, but I go there often for coffee. It has a very nice cafe and...

• Akti Taygetos Resort

26 Aristomenous, Kalamata, Peloponnese, 24100, Greece

Kalamata Restaurants

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

by greekcypriot Updated Jun 24, 2013

Before setting off for my 10 day tour in Mani –the purpose of which was to dig out ‘gems’ (hotels, restaurants, scenic villages, hidden beauty of coasts) to enrich my Guides, I came across this specific restaurant. I was out for the very best Seafood restaurant as I wanted the tour to end in the most appropriate way. The truth is that I ‘studied’ a lot the reviews before booking anywhere to avoid traps or disappointment.

TO LIMENI is a Signature Restaurant favored by many celebrities and its high standards and good reputation makes it rank first on the charts. After having lunch here I have to agree that it deserved to stand where it is –Top!

LOCATION: It is located in the west coast of the city opposite the Yacht Marina. There is a big parking lot on the side and this is a huge relief for drivers.

THE RESTAURANT: The options of dining is both inside and out. The interior has simple lines of elegance and style and a modern touch that makes it unique. The garden terrace is secluded by pots of flowers in line around the seating area and there are huge white garden umbrellas to prevent heat or possible cloudbursts. The colour of white predominates through the building creating an air of freshness and brightness. The bar’s corner has a stand of crystal glasses hanging from a base, while the top decorations reminds the Greek country life.

CUISINE: Serves exclusively fresh fish and seafood but the catalogue includes meat recipes as well. The owner was telling me that his family is involved in farming and horticultural so the products served here are mainly the family’s own produce.
    In almost every restaurant I visited throughout the region all these days of having the tour, I noticed that the majority of businesses serve their own products since the land is rich in agriculture. The area fames for the excellent quality of Virgin Olive Oil so there is no way you can have something else. I find the Greek Oil the best in the world in quality and taste.
    In this cuisine you will find traditional and flavorsome dishes cooked in authentic tastes of the Greek cuisine. There is no way to leave disappointed!!

THE MENU LIST: We had a look on the list and thought to start with a platter of mixed boiled vegetables. They were nicely presented and had an appealing appearance, and were crunchy to keep their nutrient value. -€4.60.
    Because we had a long way to go and we were still quite far from Athens we avoided alcohol completely and had a soft drink instead.
    We had a portion of red fried mullet 300gm for €13.80. They were the catch of the day the owner told us and you could tell. They were yummy!
    My husband asked for mussel rice ‘midopilafo’ for €9.80 while I had a portion of grilled prawns. The first was really filling and rich of flavor and taste. My own dish of grilled prawns was –the piece de resistance, simply ambrosia!
    Prawns were so fresh that I did not even bother to sprinkle any oil on top or lemon. They were tender, juicy and heavenly! €12.60.
    I forgot to mention the small dish of anchovy we had. I always love to have one whenever I get to a seafood restaurant. I get ideas and I prepare them at home. The taste was exquisite and the garlic flavor on top added to its flavor. -€7.50.
    Fresh fish is served at €50.00 a kilo here, while a kilo of lobsters costs €60.00. The lobster-pasta dish ‘astakomakaronada’ costs €68.00 but this is enough to be shared between 3 even 4 persons! The signature ‘limeni’ salad is at €8.60. The menu includes also several vegetarian dishes.

WINE LIST: The restaurant has both local wine and bottled. Half a kilo of local comes in a carafe and costs €4.00. The wine list has multiple brand names of popular wineries. The cheapest costs €20.00 and the most expensive one is at €35.00.

DESSERT: The tantalizing desserts brought were a delight! I only tried a bite of each to be honest, leaving my husband to get the rest of the pleasure of sensation. Ι confined myself to a cup of Greek coffee to keep me alert for the trip back to Athens.

The overall experience was excellent. The service prompt and courteous, the freshness and good quality of what we had really made the difference. I had heard that the restaurant was good but I did not imagine that it would have been so good. Dining or having lunch out here can prove also ideal for Business meetings or social events.

Prices are a bit high but they are justified by the type and quality of what the restaurant offers. I would definitely return if I am in the area and I highly recommend it for all the above reasons.
    Costa, keep the high standards as they are today! Your business is simply the best.

Our Seafood lunch at Limeni in Kalamata The garden terrace View of the marina from the restaurant Boiled veggetable salad at Limeni Lunch at Limeni -Kalamata

• psifidoo's Profile Photo

by psifidoo Updated Sep 22, 2007

This place is an alternative to the usual taverna found in Greece. It lies in the old part of town (the "historic center", the locals call it), it is small, cozy, has a few uncomfortable chairs (but who cares, since most of the chairs in most tavernas are uncomfortable), BUT the atmosphere is great, the food good, and the music always just right...and if you don't like it, Thanasis, the owner, will gladly put on some other track. A mix of locals frequent here, often carrying musical instruments and when they do you, can be sure that the place will stay open late. Thanasis makes the most wonderful mixed salads, and always has on hand good barrel wine and tsipoyro (a highly alcoholic beverage similar to the Italian Grappa), which of course, should never be consumed without various delicious tidbits to protect you from total inebriation.Thanasi has a thing lately about cooking dishes where he combines meat with fruit, and the results have been great!

Favorite Dish: Whenever I go there, I say to myself, I'll have something different this time. But I don't. A huge mixed salad (depending on what's in season, Thanasis will throw in anything that's good, fresh, crunchy, leafy...one time we even found sliced strawberries!), a plate of assorted cheeses, and an even larger plate of "a-little-bit-of-everything" ( for example: beef stewed with apricots and prunes, sweet & sour chicken, pork simmered in wine, cheese filled meat patties)...needless to say, this is NOT for only one person!

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

• Kalamata Hotels

16 Hotels in Kalamata

Kalamata Nightlife

• by WillAntoniou Written Jun 9, 2006

Al Bahar is a relatively new club in Kalamata. It has a belly dancer every night, and nice comfortable couches. They also have a huge variety of teas. It's a very nice atmosphere overall, you can dance and meet people, but it's also not very big so you don't feel crowded.

Dress Code: Anything

Kalamata Transportation

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

by greekcypriot Updated Mar 9, 2011

If you are visiting Messinia in the Peloponese, find all the info you need on the thread below.
    It has been very helpful to me as it includes all means on transport for this destination.

Greece is beautiful

• by kerrf Written Oct 31, 2007

As most flights from the UK go to Athens and not Kalamata, the only public transport to Kalamata is by bus and will be cheaper than renting a car. First you must get a bus from the airport to Athen bus station which takes around 45 mins.

The trip from Athens to Kalamata takes between 3 and a half to 4 hours. The ticket price is 19 Euros single Adult and must be purchased before boarding the bus in Athens Bus station. You will arrive in the centre of Kalamata.

Mini tips

Remember to keep your ticket as half way into the journey they check the tickets !

There is a 10 min break after 2 hours of the journey, so you can grab a drink and a bite to eat , toilets , smoke etc tc.

Some bus drivers do not like people eating or drinking during the journey, so best to check with the driver before tucking into your meatballs !

• Don't Forget Insurance

If your current health insurance doesn't cover you while your abroad, you should consider getting international travel insurance just in case something should go wrong.

Kalamata Warnings and Dangers

• by kerrf Updated Oct 31, 2007

Don't assume that traffic will stop for you to cross the road, traffic has right of way here.
    Be careful and always let way to bikes and motorists as the speed at which they travel is a lot faster than what you may be used to. So if you have kids be extra vigilant.

Kalamata Tourist Traps

• psifidoo's Profile Photo

by psifidoo Written Sep 21, 2007

Kalamata doesn't really have any serious tourist traps...mainly because there aren't that many tourists around and the locals are too worried about scaring off the few that are!

BUT, since the locals KNOW that the rest of the world considers The Olive a delicacy... the likes of which (oil, various types of olives, prepared in various ways) are used sparingly do to its usually high prices... here they can have the tendancy to go way overboard...especially if one buys a small jar of the stuff... in a SOUVENIR shop!

Fun Alternatives: Your best bet is just going to a local (super)market (or the farmer's market every Wednesday and Saturday - near the bus station), and buying whatever amount you want there. The olives will be placed in a small plastic bag, which also makes them more travel friendly. Just wrap them up in some more plastic bags before stashing them in your suitcase to avoid possible oil leaks. The price difference can be up to 65%, especially on prepared olive products!! You will find the olive products usually near the cheese section (not the prepacked cheeses!).

• Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: Kalamata

Comments

Kalamata Travel Guide
Map of Kalamata