Rethymno Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Rethymno

• Restaurant Pallazzo Rethymnon: Restaurant Palazzo: the catch of the day -fraud

by vhautio Updated Jul 28, 2012

The 'catch of the day' in this restaurant is the tourist who orders the catch of the day. The waiter recommended this meal. I asked about the price. The waiter told that it is 47€/kg, and that the fishes are round 600g. 'So it will be a bit below 30€', I say. 'Something like that', says the waiter. 'Sounds OK' I say. 'We'll make it a nice dinner with vegetables and prawns' says the waiter. 'Sounds good', I say.

The waiter forgot to tell that this 'nice dinner' doubled the price! I especially wanted to know and asked about the price before ordering because I travelled with a budget, so I feel cheated.

When I complained about the bill the waiter mumbled something like the fish has kg price, but the dinner from it another, and then run away and went hiding into the kitchen.

The food itself was mediocre, not good not bad. The fish was the smalles 600g fish I've ever seen.

The view is nice though.

Favorite Dish: Lamb: my daughter ordered that. It was tasty and had a clear price in the menu.

• Mona Lisa: Good and cheap sheep milk ice cream

by vhautio Written Jul 28, 2012

The Mona Lisa -ice cream bar is located in the middle of the old town of Rethymno. It serves excellent ice cream made from sheep milk, suitable for those who have cow milk allergy or who just enjoy tasty ice cream. One scoop cost 1,5€. Their cakes are also delicious.

Favorite Dish: Baklava cake with vanilla ice cream

• mingul's Profile Photo

Life and Hen (Æùç êáé êüôá): Your best budget meal in Rethymno!

by mingul Written May 11, 2011

I chose this place since the locals (also the policemen) were having dinner here. Completely satisfied, even if it looks just like an ordinary fast food place from outside. The dishes however were fabulous.

Favorite Dish: Mixed Grill - an amazing selection at an even amazing price!

• Jawnuta's Profile Photo

Taberna Knossos: great seafood in harbour

by Jawnuta Updated Apr 4, 2011

we were sitting on private balcony

Great atmosphere, great food, friendly owners. It is not very cheap but you can find plates that are cheaper than others.

Favorite Dish: We had seafood plater for 3, and it was a mountain of all kinds of seafood with the carafe of wite Cretan wine.

There were no more empty tables so the owner brought us upstairs to the private balcony. It was a squize for 3 adults and one child, but it was wort it. The view was fantastic, and the most important we were above the crowded harbour.... feeling freeeeee.

• TarjaH's Profile Photo

The Lemon Tree Garden: Under the lemon trees

by TarjaH Updated Sep 26, 2010

Athmosphere and surroundings are very good.
    A little minus of service; slow and little unfriendly.
    But I've eaten here only once so it could have been one of those bad evenings when everybody are tired.

• TarjaH's Profile Photo

Erofili: classy and athmospheric

by TarjaH Written Sep 13, 2010

Very classy restaurant between old town and fortress.
    I was little afraid that this evening will cost a lot.
    But happily noticed that they had a whole range of dishes. If you wanted to eat expensive fish and meat dishes it was possible as well as getting normal priced and traditional Greek food.

• Jawnuta's Profile Photo

PETALADIKA: caracoles!!!! fantastic waiter - great food!

by Jawnuta Updated Apr 13, 2008

party of four

On our last night we were looking for a place where we can try caracoles (snails).
    We passed many places and finally end up in this restaurant that happened to be right by our favorite bakery (where my friend Gosia was graciously buying fresh pastries for us every morning).

Favorite Dish: The staff.... in a form of a handsome and talkative young man wearing very tight white see-trough pants...was fantastic and very accommodating.
    The food was wonderful and our caracoles were so delicious that even my 8 yo niece tried them what can bee seen on the picture.
    The waiter insisted on taking picture of all of us, and took so many of them until he was satisfied with everybody looking good on it. ...well I already chugged down plenty of wine....so ...did not looked any good.

taverna: good food

by Jawnuta Updated Apr 13, 2008

waiting for the shrimps and wine

One of many tavernas you will come across while strolling through Rethymno's magical streets.

In tavernas like that owners and service changes from year to year, so one year you may find it delightful, the other year...not.
    You just have to stroll down the street and look at people plates and see the menu. Some places have higher prices but portions are bigger, some are really taking an advantage of the tourists.
    We developed a nose to find a good places to eat and are not afraid to walk out when 3 out of 5 items we want to order are "mysteriously" not available that night.

Favorite Dish: We had there nice seafood dinner with lots of fresh Cretan wine.

• Gefsiplous Restaurant

by dimilag Written Sep 11, 2007

Our Table

It is an excellent restaurant, well situated above the rocks and almost in to the sea. We were enjoying our meal and the waves were crashing on the rocks. Fresh seafood and excellent service. Try the local white wine.

• Meli Ice Cream

by dimilag Written Sep 7, 2007

The art of making ice cream has been improved and new flavours are added every week, think that makes me to want to try each one of them. This is my favourite flavour: wild cherries with local yoghurt. The ice cream is made from goats milk that makes it have a special flavour. Enjoy your ice cream at its tables while you watch the sea.

• Avli Restaurant

by dimilag Written Sep 7, 2007

It is situated at the Old Town of Rethymno, in an old Venetian house of 15th century, is romantic decoratioted and probably it‘s the best restaurant in town. It serves Cretan cuisine by using pure local products only.

• Guru Restaurant

by dimilag Written Sep 7, 2007

It is a bar-restaurant situated at Nea Paraliaki Leoforos with cosy atmosphere based on the red colour. It serves French and International cuisine. It has a relly great wine list from selected Greek wine producers.

• Melina Cafe & Restaurant: Great Views Of City

by PhilC2 Written Jul 3, 2007
    View from our table at the restaurant

I'm 99% certain this is the name of the restaurant. Upon reaching the top of the steps to the East Gate entrance to the Fortezza, the restaurant can be found to your left. Don't be put off by the name cafe, which is misleading, as there is no disputing that this is a restaurant and a well furnished one at that.
    The main attraction for this restaurant must be its views across the town and out to sea, which are magnificent. It makes for a romantic setting whilst watching the sun go down over such a picturesque view. It goes without saying that everyone wants to sit outside, although the interior has been recently decorated to a high level that would not be out of character in say London.
    Low classical music is piped out in the background and all waiters wore bow ties and waistcoats, which was a nice touch. We visited this place a couple of times and it is worth at least one visit for the view alone. However, there is more to this restaurant than just the view. The main waiter there cracked me up. Funny guy?

Favorite Dish: I had a great fish dish (sorry I can't remember what though). It wasn't as roasted & oily as those dishes I had sampled in other restaurants, which made a change.

• Sky Restaurant: New Harbour Restaurant

by PhilC2 Written Jun 22, 2007

The restaurant was on this road overlooking the se

Besides the seafood restaurants in the Venetian harbour, there is a collection of restaurants to be sampled looking out on the new harbour. One of these is the Sky restaurant, which we ate at a couple of times on each visit.
    Like the other restaurants on the new harbour, this offers a cheaper alternative to the Venetian harbour restaurants. However, I would say that I enjoyed every meal here and would recommend at least one visit. Whilst it lacked in character a little and was reminiscent of those restaurants with the big wicker chairs & cushions that you may find in many a holiday destination, it offered a great sea view. It is set off the main walkway into town from the beach hotels, which throngs with people, so there was a good atmosphere.
    I also found the owners to be very helpful and friendly and they remembered us from the previous year, which was a nice touch.

Favorite Dish: I saved the fish for the Venetian harbour restaurants and more expensive alternatives, so I order a steak dish and a couple of local dishes (not all at once). I would add that you get very large portions also.

• Taverna Erotokritos: Another Venetian Harbour Seafood Restaurant

by PhilC2 Updated Jun 14, 2007

This was another of my favourite restaurants in Rethymnon. It is another Venetian Harbour restaurant that offers an array of fresh fish caught that day. The restaurant is situated on the main port side and is basically the last restaurant on the harbour before you reach the entrance to the main port.
    As with all the Venetian harbour restaurants, it offers stunning scenery with a view over the small harbour and its small fishing craft. By the way, the view is from another harbour restaurant but of the Erotokritos. Eating whilst the sun sets was memorable. A wooden canopy distinguishes this restaurant apart from the others. Like the others though it is a little more expensive than other restaurants in Rethymnon but you won't be disapointed with the fare. Again, I would definitely advise eating here at least once.

Favorite Dish: Like the other Venetian Harbour restaurants, the Taverna Erotokritos offers a set menu, which we opted for. From memory, I believe that for 50 Euros they offered a starter, main course and dessert, which wasn't shabby by any means. The main course was lobster with assorted fresh fish. Gorgeous! I don't have lobster often, so this topped it off.

Instant Answers: Rethymno

Comments

Rethymno Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Rethymno restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Rethymno sightseeing.