Know about this?
An oddish phenomenon in Greece
As you know it, Greek honesty is beyond question, but it is not applicable sometimes, primarily if you take a taxi. You may not to be persuaded of the honesty of drivers, but it seems, as if something would happen with the honest Greeks when they drive taxi.
Unfortunately, only few of the drivers will charge you with the real fee, or driving in circles, they try to take you on a detour, in order to sack you.
You should always insist to turn on the counter and if it is not any or you are told it does not work, avoid using it, and better take an another taxi.
One more thing you should pay attention, there are day fare and night fare, and many of the drivers like to use the more expensive night rate, day and night.
Taxi fares 2007:
Counter starts at €1.00, fare day/night/km: €0.34/ €0.64
Waiting time €9.10/hour
- Family Travel
- Budget Travel
- Business Travel
Problems at Taxi Stand at Train Station
When we arrived by train, we encountered serious difficulties procuring a cab for the short ride to our hotel. Although most cab drivers spoke at least a little English, there seemed to be no organized taxi stand, and we had difficulty finding a cab driver who would take us to our hotel. Most simply ignored us or shrugged. The cab driver who finally agreed loaded us in his cab and then kept us waiting on a very hot day for a good five minutes until he found others to share the cab, resulting in a very crowded and uncomfortable ride. He and the new passengers argued throughout the trip. Their conversation was in Greek, but I inferred that they objected to sharing the cab. One cab driver told me that the problem was that we arrived during a shift change, but our driver implied that the problem was that our hotel was too near (about 5 minutes) and the drivers were waiting for a more lucrative fare. I have no suggestions for dealing with this situation other than to be prepared for problems.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
Thessaloniki Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Gulmarg Hotels
- Laguindingan Hotels
- Murree Hotels
- Fort Walton Beach
- Sunny Beach
- Minneriya Hotels
- Safe and less than safe areas
- Santa Monica Warnings and Dangers
- Bogotá Warnings and Dangers
- Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Warnings and Dangers
- Cartagena Warnings and Dangers
- Dar es Salaam Warnings and Dangers
- Positano Warnings and Dangers
- Oahu Warnings and Dangers
- Albania Warnings and Dangers
- Quito Warnings and Dangers
- Liverpool Warnings and Dangers