Amorgos Island Restaurants

interior of Marabu cafe
    by mindcrime
    tables of Marabu next to the beach
    Kali Kardia cafe

Most Recent Restaurants in Amorgos Island

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

FROU FROU café: time for crepe!

by mindcrime Updated Sep 7, 2013

view from Frou Frou cafe

This is my all time favorite place in Amorgos when it comes to crepes! They have several different tastes of course, many sweets(marmalade, chocolate & nuts, cookies, banana, whipped cream, ice cream etc) and the prices are from 2,5e to 5,5e(the ones with 2 scoops of icecream). If you like chocolate like I do ask the one with chocolate and cookies(or nuts) which is way better than the one with nutella(more trouble for them to make it as it has to melt first but worth every bite of it) although nutella is sweeter.

Although I didn’t try any crepe with cheese in 2010 I remember my first visit (2000) the one with 4 cheeses which was yummyyy! The crepes with cheese cost 3euro +0.7 for any ingritient like ham/bacon/turkey/cheese salad, mayonnaise, +0.50e for tomato/green peppers/corn and many other things to destroy your diet :)

Don’t forget that Frou Frou is located on the same row of cafes opposite the old mill, so you can still sit here and have good view of the mill during the sunset although some mosquitos seem to like the trees next to it too :) Of course, you can stop here just to drink something, this café doesn’t have colorful chairs but has better prices :) They offer the same coffees like: frappe or nes coffee (2,5e), cappuccino(3e), irish coffee(4.5e), tea(2e), chocolate(2.5e), fresh juice(2.5), soft drinks(1.8e)

If you want to eat crepes seems to be the best thing (I always order a crepe here) but you can also eat a
    toasted sandwich(1.5e), yogurt & fruits (4e), cornflakes & milk(2.8e), fruid salad(4e), omellettes(2-4e), cheese cake/apple pie/walnut pie/kataifi/creamcake (2.5e)

By the way beer(500ml)/wine/rakomelo costs only 2.5e, raki/ouzo(2e) while the long drinks cost 5,5e

KOSTARAS: meat tavern, pizzeria

by mindcrime Updated Sep 7, 2013

KOSTARAS meat tavern

Not the best place to eat in town but definitely a cheap choice if you just want a souvlaki.
    The truth is that the dish prices are very high comparing to the cheap meals we had here on my first visit (2000) when the TV outside was the main reason for us to sit here during the 2000 football Euro Cup :) We felt disappointed from the meat dishes in may 2010.

We tried souvlaki with meat and chicken (2euros each one). Their menu is typical for such a place, you can have spaghetti (6.20-7.20e), pizza (7.50-10.20e), steaks(7.5-13.50e), salads (3.20-6.70) ec

There are many tables outside next to the square where the main stores of the town are. The view is nice over the port.

MARABU: cafe-pub-restaurant

by mindcrime Updated Jul 15, 2010

interior of Marabu cafe

This café is also a restaurant and a lounge bar during the evenings :) I remember the place much smaller some years before, it seems they added the place that was next to it. In may 2010 we visited it for the champions league final as it was the only option to watch the match. The TV was over the billiard table and the noise from billiards cue was annoying so the owner asked the people to stop playing!

There are many tables outside, we liked the music too, usually rock classics on the playlist. The good thing about it was that you can enjoy your swim at the main beach of Aigiali and then refresh yourself at one of the tables that lie just next to the beach under the shade of tamarisk trees(pic 2).

There’s also free wifi if you have your laptop with you but the signal was problematic most of the times I tried it although I didn’t really care so much getting connected on the web.

We payed 5 euros for a beer and a nes café, and 4,5 euros for a soft drink and a frappe. There’s a list of foods(breakfast, snacks, main meals) but we didn’t try any.

café TO TELEION: café TO TELEION

caf�� TO TELEION

One of the cafes along the port of Katapola. It was early in the morning so I just ordered a coffee and a spoon sweet (you may have noticed already that I’m obsessed with them). This time the sweet was made from apple, it was good and costed 4 euros with the coffee.

The café isn’t something special (although To Teleion means The Perfect in greek), it has a big area inside with tables and TV, nice clean WC, and the owner was very friendly. We just stayed outside watch the people passing by. I wish there weren’t any cars along the port though, check my pic, it would be perfect without them.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

JAZZMIN café bar: JAZZMIN café bar

entrance of Jazzmin cafe

This is one nice café pub at Chora. The place is a nice café during the day and turns into a pub later. You can sit downstairs or catch a table up on the balcony and enjoy the view (pic 2). The stuff was very friendly with us, the waitress explained us and suggested some desserts for me and the music was at a normal level to chill out.

There are the regular coffees, Nescafe/frappe/cappucino(3e), turkish/espresso(2e), frappe with bailyes/irish coffee but also some not so common coffees like:
    Italian with sambuca, Russian with vodka/Mexican with tia Maria, pirate coffee with raw sugar and dark rum(6e). The menu has also chocolate(3,5e), warm amaretto with whipped cream(6e), salep with vanilla(3e), and several teas (3e). I got surprised of their menu, they can satisfy everyone, they even have organic soya milk, something really rare in Greece, even at the super markets!

You cant really eat here if you are hungry but they serve sandwiches(3-5e), greek salad(5e) and several different breakfasts(6e-12e), based on homemade marmelades, local bread and virgin olive oil. They also have some nice desserts, I tried the Russian cake (4e, pic 3) which was homemade too and so yummy I ate it in a few seconds :)

If you go later in the evening you can try some alcohol too (you can drink during the day too but you have to be brave when the temperature is up to 35’c). There are 3-4 different bottles of wine (the white moschofillero was nice), local beers(3e) and import beers(6-8e), rakomelo/ouzo(3e), long drinks(6,5e) and cocktails(8e)

We also liked that there were many books and board games that you can use while there.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

Kalisto café: tasty homemade sweets

Kalisto caf��

We stopped here for coffee but then I realized they specialized on great, tasty desserts! So, for 5 euros I enjoyed my frappe coffee and a huge yummy piece of mpaklavas. We checked inside and they had several different homemade desserts so we took some for the hotel too :)

The owner was very friendly and he seemed surprised when we returned another day as it was off season and only the locals go there that period to buy desserts (a good reason for you to go there too).
    Although there are tables inside you wont resist the picturesque alley where Kalisto is located, just check the pic. I would have stopped there even if the place was closed! :) They also sell psimeni raki and rakomelo, great for gift but also for you to have something local to drink :)

LOZA: LOZA cafe

Loza cafe

Loza café is located at Loza square(of course), the main square of Chora. The tables in front of the cathedral are great for relaxing and people watching. We enjoyed our coffee there and we tried the fruit gel of the day which was based on cherry (after the owner’s suggestion). They had some other sweets too but I wanted something light. It was very calming in the area in the middle of the day, not much people around, we just made a stop before we continue to a monastery from there.

The lady that served us holds the key for the castle! You have to give her your ID, you visit the castle and
    then you return it to her.

Korali restaurant: Korali restaurant

Korali restaurant

Ideally located, the atmosphere here is the main reason to come because of the spectacular sea view. Check my photo, the place looks great, isn’t it? :) For some strange reason we never made it to stop for dinner here! But I have read about it even on guide books and although it has to wait for next time I think it’s a good idea to write something here…

EMPASSA/Mple/Amorgis: row of cafes

cafes at Aigiali

Just opposite the port on the road that leads to Chora is a row of small cafes that overlook the old mill. It’s great to be there during sunset no matter which café you will choose. As we spend many afternoons there we tried all of them. It’s funny but there’s no real difference between them, small (isolated) interiors and some tables on the front patio that get packed from people that want to enjoy the view. The cafes just have different colors in decoration/lights. The owner of Mple café seemed more relaxed that the others probably because of the music that was coming from the speakers, some nice jazz tunes that were playing at the background.

All the cafes serve the usual coffees like frappe/cappuccino/fredochino(2,5-4e), irish coffee(5e), chocolate(3e), tea(2,5e) and fresh juice(3e).

If you prefer alcohol they have beers(3-5e), whiskey/vodka/tequila(6e), ouzo/raki/psimeni(2,5-3e), wine(3e)

In the morning some of the cafes offer simple breakfasts like eggs with bacon/omelletes(2,5-4e), you can also try salads(4e), sandwiches(2,5-3e) etc I didn’t try any of the desserts but they have some simple ones like applepie(2,5e) etc

Amorgialos: cafe pub Amorgialos

Amorgialos cafe pub

We spent some evenings here because the stuff was very friendly and the atmosphere relaxed. They usually have good greek music on the cd player playing till late. I noticed some people ordering simple plates and salads but we just tried their beers and raki. I dont have really much to say about this place, its warm atmosphere was good so we visit it again.

For a 200ml of psimeni raki we payed 7e.

LIMANI TIS KATINAS: best restaurant at Aigiali

LIMANI TIS KATINAS

Right in the center of Ormos Aigialis, in a small picturesque alleys, this restaurant is my favorite spot for dinner. I remember some delicious plates from 2000 and 10 years after they still have a nice tasty cousine. No surprise they always have customers while other taverns are empty in low season. The stuff was quick, friendly and explained everything.

For starter we tried chorta(greens), local cheeses and tasy fava(split peas, 3e), all of them were great! But there many options like olives, tzatziki, eggplant salad, garlic salad, octopus salad, greek salad, fried feta cheese, dakos, pie of the day etc

The main plates vary each day and in may 2010 I was surprised when they told me that every Friday they have Thai food!!! Of course, we skipped it because you don’t go to a greek island to taste thai food :) You can try all the usual greek foods based on meat (or not) but also spaghetti, green beans, stuffed eggplant with cheese(yummy!), butter beans, stuffed tomatoes, chick peas in the oven (great!), soups etc

Of course there are some fish plates, we tried calamari (mediocre), fried octopus (good, 8e), shrimps (good), portion of small fishes (great and cheap, about 5,5e) but you can also try grilled sepia, sword fish (I don’t like its taste) and lobster (too expensive for me). We washed the food with beer (2,5e).

We tried for baklava for dessert and the bill (that came with free shots of psimeni raki) was about 40 euros. When I went to the WC I noticed many garlics hanging at the back side of the restaurant. It seems they use a lot of them! (pic 3)

KALI KARDIA: local cafe

by mindcrime Updated Jul 14, 2010

Kali Kardia cafe

This is my favorite spot at Tholaria village, a tiny café opposite the main square/church of the village. And what a nice name “Kali Kardia”(good heart ). I asked for “gliko koutaliou”(spoon sweet ). These sweets are sweet preserves from fruits and depending on the season you may find grapes, bergamot, apple, tangerine, figs (my favorite), orange etc They are very popular in Greece (and general in Balkans) and when it’s homemade they are really great, retaining the original taste of the fruit. We payed 3,5 euros for the sweet and a coffee. They also serve small portions of food, salads etc but we didn’t try it.
    We always stop there for playing tavli(backgammon).

By the way, next to the café are 2 restaurants where you can eat if you are more hungry that we were that morning. “Thalasino Oneiro”(sea dream ) is focusing on meat while “Santouraki” is more into the fish plates or that was what I though but a friend of mine told me that they have very tasty pork in gastra(ceramic pot) . I have tried the food of Thalasino Oneiro in the past and it was good but I cant remember more details…

• Orkaena's Profile Photo

KAPETAN DIMOS: THE CLASSICAL GREEK TAVERNA

by Orkaena Written Mar 24, 2006

KAPETAN DIMOS

One night we were wandering the surroundings of the port, just watching the tiny crowd of locals and foreigners enjoying the sweet weather of the evening, when suddenly we were hungry again!!
    The next door were the door of the "Kapetan Dimos". We went inside as soon as possible. A small place with few tables, traditional greek music (beautiful indeed) and a smiling waiter dressed with the typical island clothes. Typical food too, this night we ordered pastitzio and a bottle of white wine of the island. Tasty and cheap

Favorite Dish: We only tasted pastitizio. perhaps if we... well, I should back to Amorgos to tell you the truth.

• Orkaena's Profile Photo

VINTZENSOS: THE FIRST IMPRESSION...

by Orkaena Updated Mar 24, 2006

Vintzensos tables under the shadow

First impression is definitive. Just arrived to Katapola the tribe were hungry, after we left our baggages in our just rented rooms we went off looking for food, and at a few meters to the north of the apartments we found out this lovely place, where a very old woman were like waiting for us with a warm smile and a better variety of fried fishes and octopus in olive oil. Generous, tasty and very cheap, we ate like vikings after the battle.

Favorite Dish: I told you, fried melanourias and octopus in olive oil, black olives and a frozen bottle of beer. Who needs anymore?

Instant Answers: Amorgos Island

Comments

Amorgos Island Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Amorgos Island restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Amorgos Island sightseeing.

View all Amorgos Island hotels