Mykonos Tourist Traps

Our rental car.....
    by Maryimelda
    Ora taverna: watch out!!!
    by mitla
  • Souvenirs are more expensive on the islands
    Souvenirs are more expensive on the...
    by aukahkay

Best Rated Tourist Traps in Mykonos

• Malcolm_Ostermeyer's Profile Photo

Overpriced restaurants in Mykonos town

by Malcolm_Ostermeyer Written Aug 29, 2003

Beware! the amazingly overpriced restaurants on the waterfront in Mykonos town. We had a two course-meal of only average quality - and were charged £95!

Unique Suggestions: Look at the menu first, and DON'T have what the waiter recommends!

Fun Alternatives: Buy your own food at a supermarket and eat it on the beach.

• aukahkay's Profile Photo

Mykonos souvenir shops

by aukahkay Written Nov 4, 2007

Souvenirs are more expensive on the islands

When you travel to the Greek islands, you will want to buy souvenirs from the many souvenir shops that line the narrow lanes of Mykonos. Attractive as they may be, they are priced higher than a similar item sold in mainland Greece. The difference is even more marked if you travel during the peak summer months.

Unique Suggestions: Look and admire the souvenirs.

Fun Alternatives: Buy all your Greek souvenirs on the Greek mainland - Athens, Delphi, etc. They are cheaper than a similar item in the islands. You can get souvenirs depicting the popular islands of Mykonos and Santorini in Athens, Delphi and other tourist destinations.

• Luxury Travel

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Car rental advice.....

by Maryimelda Updated Feb 18, 2010

Our rental car.....

Unless you intend to rent a car to get to a different remote beach every day to sunbake, then don't fall for the trap of "you'll get better value if you rent the car for three days". If you are only wanting to see around the island and have a look at the beaches and assorted little villages etc. then you only need the car for one day.

Unique Suggestions: The rental cars are very up to date and comfortable but please be sure to check the car out for scratches and dents and ensure that these are recorded properly on the rental contract. In our excitement we forgot to do this and we ended up having to pay 150 euros for a scratch that we didn't cause.

Fun Alternatives: There are buses that will take you to some of the nearby beaches from Hora. For transport in and around the port itself, taxis and your own two feet are better options than a rental car.
    Parking is at a premium in Hora with only about two public carparks available. There are some private carparks but these will charge you an arm and a leg.

• Photography

• Shopping for everyone

by Maln13 Updated Mar 24, 2007

make sure you barter on all items purchased. the price tag is certainly negotiable. maybe not by much, but you can certainly pick up some bargains. For sourviners most shops sell the same type, so shop around and don't buy from the first place you find

• ctorres1979's Profile Photo

Delos, for a break from the beaches

by ctorres1979 Written Jul 6, 2006

some of the interesting things in the museum

The half day excursion to Delos is a worthwhile trip. We found it to be not that well taken care of. Most of the individual sites that you see are not well marked. But with the map that they give you it is still interesting to walk around the island and imagine what it was like thousands of years ago... Those who have sea sickness should not attempt this trip.., the water is not good for a smooth ride. I do not get sea sick ever but I started to feel slightly queasy. They advertise it as a twenty minute ride but it actually took about 40

Unique Suggestions: Check out the museum.., Hike up the enormous hill that must have 500 steps or so.. The view from the top is amazing... try to find the theatre.. it feels so strange to sit in one of its seats

• mitla's Profile Photo

Expensive bad tasting food!!

by mitla Written Apr 2, 2009

Ora taverna: watch out!!!

If you walk up and down the chora in Mykonos it's very easy to end up in a little square where you'll find 2 restaurants: one covered with pink flowers is the "Ora Taverna", a waiter tries to catch all the tourists walking there... Well even if he seems soooooo nice: don't accept! We sat there and ordered and .... waht did they bring us?? A saganaki (fried feta) that seemed made of gum, beans which came directly from a can, dried meat.....bleah!!!! and the bill!!!! 50 € for 2 people without wine!!!! For Greece it is just incredible! From that time on we decided never to aet again in the Chora and we found out waht we already suspected: outside Mykonos Town prces are on the average!

Unique Suggestions: Order a salad, french fries and water. That's it!

Fun Alternatives: The restaurant in the front, I think the name is "The Pelican" We never ate there but it has good reviews on Routard travelguide. Anyway at every corner there'a a fast food selling pyttagiro, and if you don't like spiced food even hamburgers, cheeseburgers, hot dogs etc etc..

• uaesaint's Profile Photo

RIP OFF

by uaesaint Updated Aug 10, 2006

During the peek seasons july & august you will get ripped off on dining, partying, hotels, car rentals unless you make arrangments way in advance.... prices on drinks were 10 to 15 euros ... i felt that was not worth it !

Fun Alternatives: Get wasted in the hotel ... than crash the town for party later in the morning ... that way you will be fine.

• charlotte-jane's Profile Photo

super paradise cafe scam!

by charlotte-jane Written Jun 29, 2003

If you go to super p beach and you dont wanna be ripped off, take some food with you cause the restarant is vastly over priced and not good quality, we payed 4 times the price for an icecream that we would in the supermarket!

• Kenward's Profile Photo

Food

by Kenward Written Aug 17, 2003

Dining in town can be very expensive, so do shop around before you decide to enter an establishment. In fact, as most of the restaurants are open air, have a look at the portions being served to the diners. We were taken aback be the "Barbie doll" portions being served at some of the restaurants and all for the same price or more than other restaurants just outside the town.

• WStat's Profile Photo

Europcar, the unfriendly (in Mykonos, at least)

by WStat Updated Jun 20, 2006

As a regular customer of Europcar (and a very satisfyed one up until now), I do NOT recommend to use Europcar in Mykonos.
    Although they have official conditions / rebates/ rebates with TUI, the EC representative did not know about them until I produced the Europcar-folder. Unfriendly and arrogant, the representative was each time half an hour late (what I would not criticize in Greece, if a word of apology would have been mentioned) and acted extremely arrogant, as if he were the customer and i would have tried to sell him something. Never again !
    The car was ok, so I`ll forget the experience - but there are other beautiful daughters (car rentals) below the lovely Greek sky !

Unique Suggestions: Bring with you any documentation you have, Europcar`s representative won`t believe you, if you stay undocumented to prove (official) packages and - deals !!

Fun Alternatives: any other car rental inh Mykonos, there are plenty !

• Business Travel

• Kapari Handicrafts -- Do Not Trust Them to Ship

by davidsf Written Aug 9, 2012

We purchased several ceramic items from KAPARI HANDICRAFTS. The owner assured us that she could ship them safely to our home in California. The shipping cost was 75 Euros. When the items arrived they were very poorly packed and two of them were damaged beyond repair, literally in pieces. The owner refused to replace or refund, telling us that the items were insured for loss only not for damage. She was extremely rude and unhelpful and said that it was our problem. We have had items shipped from all over the world during our travels and have never experienced such disdainful and irresponsible service from any merchant.

Unique Suggestions: If you must deal with the merchant be sure to take your items with you!

Fun Alternatives: There are lots of shops on Mykonos. Go anywhere else but Kapari Handicrafts.

• Cruise
    • Luxury Travel

• "NOT" OK Car Rental

by ace42598 Written Aug 16, 2011

If you read no further, my strong recommendation is that you NOT rent a car from OK Car Rental in Mykonos. If I had to do it again, I'd rent from Avis or Budget, both of which rent on the Island

In August 2011, I rented a car from OK Car Rental in Mykonos. I used OK because it was listed on our hotel's (the San Marco) website. The car was delivered to the hotel at 4:00 PM. I used it the first night to drive my family into town for dinner. I tried cleaning the dirty windshield but the wipers were worn and simply streaked the windshield with dirty water making it more difficult to see. Driving on the windy, narrow and unlit roads in Mykonos is difficult enough so a dirty windshield makes driving there dangerous. The next morning, on the way to the beach I first dropped by OK to have them change the wipers. I was surprised to hear from the manager that they didn't stock wipers. He told me he'd order them and that I could come by later in the day to have them changed. He then told me the car is new. I responded that it might be "new" but that doesn't change the fact that the wipers are worn and the seat back lever for the driver seat was broken and I couldn't adjust the seat. He said let me try the wipers and, as I told him before, they streaked the windows even when he tried them. When he said he didn't have wiper blades I asked if he could switch the wipers from another similar car sitting in his lot but he said that he wouldn't. At this point I was getting nowhere and told him that I'd return later (as he suggested) to have the blades changed. He then told me that he wouldn't have the wiper blades until the next day, thus, he was lying to me earlier. By now, I was completely frustrated especially having been lied to and told him to just get out of the car and I would go to the beach. He became very angry and told me not to talk to him that way, "that he's not our peasant" and then that he was taking the car back. When I said I already had paid for the car he said he didn't care and started driving off with my arm through the driver's side window. He then continued with his angry tone and threatened to "chop my head off." He demanded that my family get out of the car with all our things leaving us stranded even though I had paid for the car in full for three days.

At this point my friend, who had also rented a car from OK came by and the manager started yelling at him also. It was only after I had to apologize to him, repeatedly (I guess for getting angry when he lied to me) that he relented and returned to me the car I had already paid for in full.

Finally the car was delivered to me with virtually no gas. The gauge showed one blinking bar. I was told that was how it was returned by the previous renter but for whatever reason OK Rental did not add any gas before delivering the car to my hotel. I somehow made it to the nearest gas station, @ 5 miles away, and put in 10 euros of gas. Over the next three days the gas gauge, rather than showing fewer bars as the gas was used actually showed more bars even though I didn't add any more gas. My friend, who rented a similar car, had a similar malfunction in his gas gauge. When he tried to add gas, 12 euros worth, the gauge didn't move. As a result, OK tacked on an additional charge of 10 euros for gas. Thus, even though my friend and I drove similar cars for three days and drove with our families the exact same routes, he ended up paying 22 euros in gas while I paid 10 euros. All in all, we had a very negative experience with OK and I doubt that we would have the same experience with a more established and reputable company. Stay away from OK Rental in Mykonos.

• zindara's Profile Photo

Shops and shops and shops...

by zindara Written Aug 7, 2003

Souvenirs

It is ok buying some souvenirs to take home. But PLEASE compare prices. There are a LOOOOT of shops around and not all of them offer reasonable prices...

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

SOUVENIRSThere are thousands...

by SirRichard Written Aug 25, 2002

SOUVENIRS
    There are thousands of nice postcards everywhere, as much as any kind of souvenirs to take home.

Instant Answers: Mykonos

Comments

Mykonos Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Mykonos tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mykonos sightseeing.