Naxos Island Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Naxos Island

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

Lefteris: Lefteris

by mindcrime Written Aug 22, 2011

My favorite place for eating in Naxos is located up in the mountains, at Apiranthos village. It’s called Lefteris and I go there every time I visit the island. Homemade foods, some typical greek plates, very delicious all the time. The prices is slightly more pricey but it’s worth every euro.

The view from the terrace is nice too although I like the interior a lot. You can also buy some nice homemade sweets for you or for souvenirs to people you love back home. I still remember the mother of the owner cooking the greatest cheese pie of my life back in 2000. I didn’t see her there in 2006 so I guess…

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

what to eat

by mindcrime Updated Aug 22, 2011

the crowdy seafront of Hora

Do yourself a favor and avoid the touristic restaurants at seafront of Hora. In some villages there are some nice small taverns, right next to the sea.

In most of the taverns you can find many plates although it’s a surprise the island isn’t famous for its fishes. I guess it has to do with the fact that there aren’t many local fishermen. Here’s a small list:
    1)Appetizers(starters) like tzatziki, saganaki(fried cheese), some salads like potato salad etc
    2)Greek salads of course! I know some tourists have it as a basic plate but it’s very funny for the Greeks seeing someone ordering just a salad! lol
    3)Meat dishes like souvlaki (like everywhere!, hehe), meatballs, chicken, beef, pork chops, lamb, rabbit with onions etc. In some villages you can try rabbit with red sauce or grilled sausages that are great. Avoid famous greek plates like moussaka, they have nothing to do with what our mothers use to cook back home! lol
    4)Seafood: I have tried some grilled octopus (you will see fresh octopus hanging in the sun in many places)but I don’t know much about the others except gavros (anchovies) and sardeles(sardines) that we use to order when we drink ouzo every time we visit an island
    5)other plates like pasta with several sauces
    6)wash everything down with cold beers(for the meat) or ouzo (for the seafood)

Lucullus Taverna: The oldest restaurant in Naxos

by mitla Updated Apr 4, 2011

In the heart of the Kastro, in the middle of nightlife, pleasantly crowded, it is better if possible to take a seat outside in the narrow pebble-covered street. Loud music and loud voices are the soundtrack of one of the best dinner in Naxos!

Favorite Dish: I took Shrimps sautè and grilled swordfish with pesto, pink pepper and basmati rice. My husband took fried squid with tartare sauce and grilled octopus with balsamic vinegar sauce. and the winner is.... The octopus!!! But every dish was simply delicious so that we really cannot complain about anything!Then we took fruit halva and yogurt with cherry sauce, espresso and kytron.... Last unforgettable night in Naxos....

• Wine Tasting

Taverna Lucullus: Oldest in Cycladic Islands

by oriettaIT Updated Feb 13, 2011

This taverna is known as the oldest and the best of the whole Cycladic islands. It is dated back in 1908.
    The dining room is nicely decorated with sea related scenes and objects and there are some tables outdoor along a tiny narrow street by the side.
    The dishes were not just delicious and very well cooked, you could tell that the chef put a special attention on presentation even if without taking away the traditional taste of the many specialties.
    It was absolutely the best experience in Naxos Town.
    Like every respectworthy Greek Taverna they offer a complimentary shot of raki at the end of your meal.

Favorite Dish: WE had tomatoes croquettes, made of tomatoes, bread, cheese and basil and fried in hot oil served on a phillo paste cup, they were delicious and I still do not understand HOW they made them stay together! Baked feta cheese, wrapped in aluminum foil, with tomato and green pepper slices. Grilled calamari stuffed with spinach and cheese,served with basmati rice. A chicken stew in a wine sauce, a old traditional Cycladic recipe.
    With a liter of white house wine and water the bill was 39 euros in 2008 for two people. Really not expensive compared to the other restaurants in town as it was MUCH better.
    HIGLY RECOMMENDED.

Waffel house: Great gelato

by oriettaIT Written Feb 13, 2011

Best ice cream joint in Naxos Town, by the water along the main stroll.
    They make their own waffles cones right away so you will eat your icecream from a fresh made tasty cone. Always very busy you cannot miss it.

Taverna Garden by Manolis: Lost in the narrow streets

by oriettaIT Updated Feb 13, 2011

Nice dining are under a pergola

I had seen this small taverna walking around the Old town some other day so I decided to give it a try. It have a nice cozy outdoor dining area under a green pergola, the tables and chair are blue and the athmosphere is quieter than by the water.
    Everything have a homey feeling and the food is simple but well cooked.

We had chicken souvlaky and a stew pork with lemon sauce, both served with baked potatoes and rice plus a plate of horta. With two beers the cost was 23,70 euros in 2008 for two people. The cheaper of the whole stay in Naxos.

Be aware there were many cats wondering through the tables so if you are allergic or just do not like them this is not the place to go.

Taverna Kastro: Up to the Chora top

by oriettaIT Updated Feb 12, 2011

Outdoor dining

If you want to have dinner with a romantic wiew of the port and the roofs ot the Chora under you, I reccomend you to climb all the way the narrow streets of the Old Town up to the top to find Taverna Kastro.
    It was always full so I had to wait to get a seat but they offered me a complimentary Ouzo that made the wait more enjoyable.
    The menu is very traditional, no international food here. Many of the dishes are vegetarian and I found everything very well cooked and delicious.

We had Pepper stuffed with cheese and tomato sauce and cooked in the oven, boiled artichokes with lemon sauce, a clay pot with feta cheese green pepper and tomato sauce cooked in the oven, eggplants stuffed with feta cheese and tomatoes. IT WAS A BLAST! With water and white house wine we payed 29 euros for two people in 2008.

Taverna Irini: Close to the port

by oriettaIT Updated Feb 12, 2011

Dining outdoor

This taverna is one of the many along the water, it atracted me because of the nice pergola, wood tables with checked table clothes and because of the food I was sneakily checking out on people's plates. I liked it so much I went back another time.
    The first time we had horta (local sort of spinach veggie plate) gemista (tomatoes stuffed with rice) grilled calamari and grilled octopus, house wine and water for 34 euros in 2008.
    The second time we had zucchini croquettes, peppers boat stuffed with chease, stuffed eggplants and gemista, 32 Euros with two beers.

The only cons of this place is that both time it took them forever to bring us the bill.. I guess I could have solved the problem easily walking to the counter!

Favorite Dish: I loved the Gemista and the grilled seafood was delicious

Waffle House: A different sweet dinner

by mitla Written Mar 29, 2009

A little ice cream cafè in an americal style on the port of Naxos.

Favorite Dish: You can choose waffles to cover with ice cream among a lot of flavours. Then you can choose 3 or 4 kinds of topping like chocolate, nuts, almonds etc etc.... et voilà!! Your superb waffle is served!!

HalkI Taverna: A delicious stop in Halki

Halki taverna

Driving around in Naxos Halki is a must to visit and in the little square in the middle of the little village you find this tiny taverna where you can find very typical dishes lihe greek salad, spinach pie, fresh fried potatoes but also something weird like the dish of the day: pork with tomato sauce, onions, peppers, mushrooms and beans!!! Oh yes! The perfect diet!

Favorite Dish: In this little simple spot on the main street you'll find simple but tasty dishes for a very good price.

• mitla's Profile Photo

Elli's Restaurant: Wonderful "bifteki"!

by mitla Written Mar 29, 2009

This little restaurant lies on a street with big windows looking at the Portara. The waiters are very nice, they just have candlelight on the tables so that the atmosphere is very romantic!

Favorite Dish: They grill "bifteki" in every way with different kind of sauces: we took one with Madera souce and one with dried tomatoes. We also ate two typical dishes cooked in pots: aubergines with feta and Shrimps with feta. We drank Naxos wine and in the end Zitron! wonderful birthday form my husband!

• Wine Tasting

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Golden Beach Cafe / Patisserie: Laid back cafe in Agios Prokopios

by SWFC_Fan Updated Oct 20, 2007

Golden Beach Cafe, Agios Prokopios

Golden Beach Cafe / Patisserie is a laid back cafe on the seafront in the peaceful beach resort of Agios Prokopios.

This friendly cafe has a host of white plastic chairs and tables outside, some in the sun and some shaded by a canopy, with views of the beach and a good view of the sunset in the evenings. The staff are friendly and talkative and the setting is quiet and peaceful......I enjoyed a drink and an early evening snack here on several occasions during my visit to Naxos in May 2006.

The menu includes:

Breakfasts: - including, toast, cheese, ham, eggs, coffee and tea;

Ice cream sundaes: - a selection of exotic ice cream flavours with fruit, wafers, sauces and toppings. Quite expensive at 5-6 Euros;

Yoghurts: - with cherries, strawberries, fruit salad, walnuts, Naxian honey;

Cakes and pastries: - cheesecake, fruit tart, baklava, milk pie and a large assortment of other honey drenched cakes and pastries;

Drinks: - bottled beers, red and white wines, spirits (ouzo, raki, local Naxos Citron, brandy), soft drinks, hot beverages and milkshakes (available in all the flavours that the ice cream is available in).

Favorite Dish: On my various visits here, I tried:

Yoghurt with cherries - Cost: 3.50 Euros

A dish of thick Greek yoghurt top with a tin of preserved cherries. The sour yoghurt and sweet cherries were an ideal contrast.

Milk pie - Cost: 2 Euros

A honey drenched cake, similar to baklava but with a milk based filling (similar to a vanilla slice). Topped with icing sugar and cinnamon.

Baklava - Cost: 2 Euros

A honey drenched pastry filled with nuts and cinnamon..

Coca Cola (500ml bottle) - Cost: 1.60 Euros

Served with ice and lemon.

Alfa beer (500ml bottle) - Cost: 2 Euros

Served with a complimentary bowl of salted peanuts.

A lovely, relaxing cafe with friendly staff and a peaceful location. A great place to enjoy breakfast, lunch or an evening drink. Highly recommended!

• jasoneboyd's Profile Photo

Lucullus: Best food we had on Naxos

by jasoneboyd Written Sep 14, 2007

Rooster (would you believe it: gamey and firm!)

We found this restaurant on our fifth day in Naxos so we'd tried quite a few already; this however was by far the best! Being the oldest Taverna in Naxos (since 1908) hasn't stopped them providing traditional fare in an exciting and novel way. You can find almost any Cycladean specialty here but presented beautifully - contemporary plating up but traditional portions and flavours. After our first meal here, we knew we'd come back. On the second night here, we started to recognise other people and everyone we talked to said that if they could pick only one place on the island, this is the one they would come back to. I would feel happy suggesting to anyone that they should come here, but especially perfect for a quiet romantic night though!

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish was two large half-moon pastries stuffed with Feta and drizzled with a honey and toasted sesame seed sauce - simply done, but rich and beautiful tasting. Called "Cheeses of the 12 gods" or some-such. My wife loved the stifado, a beautiful rabbit stewed with all those great greek flavours. Impeccably presented!

• BurgerQueen's Profile Photo

Finikas: Eating on the beach

by BurgerQueen Written Aug 24, 2007

The entrance

Saint George beach is bordered by nice bars and restaurant.
    Since Finikas was the closest bar/fast food to our hotel, we used to go there for breakfast, but we also ate there at lunchtime once.
    What we liked the most about this place is that it is right on the beach, so that we could enjoy our breakfast looking at the sea. This bar is very quiet in the moring, but gets more and more crowded as the day goes by.
    The staff is very friendly and they always serve fresh food.

• BurgerQueen's Profile Photo

Leftéris: The best terrace on the island!

by BurgerQueen Written Aug 24, 2007

The restaurant terrace

This small family run restaurant is located on Apiranthos main street. As you enter, you'll see a large counter full of sweets and cakes. The first floor is mainly used as a café, but if you ask to be seated outside, you'll enjoy a wonderful view of Naxos mountains and valleys while eating under walnut trees.
    The menu is made up of a few freshly cooked and delicious dishes, but deserts are definitely the speciality of the house.

Favorite Dish: Deserts! We had a vanilla and lemon cake and a cinnamon rice pudding!

Instant Answers: Naxos Island

Comments

Naxos Island Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Naxos Island restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Naxos Island sightseeing.