Naxos Island Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Naxos Island

Finikas: Eating on the beach

by BurgerQueen Written Aug 24, 2007

The entrance

Saint George beach is bordered by nice bars and restaurant.
    Since Finikas was the closest bar/fast food to our hotel, we used to go there for breakfast, but we also ate there at lunchtime once.
    What we liked the most about this place is that it is right on the beach, so that we could enjoy our breakfast looking at the sea. This bar is very quiet in the moring, but gets more and more crowded as the day goes by.
    The staff is very friendly and they always serve fresh food.

• BurgerQueen's Profile Photo

Leftéris: The best terrace on the island!

by BurgerQueen Written Aug 24, 2007

The restaurant terrace

This small family run restaurant is located on Apiranthos main street. As you enter, you'll see a large counter full of sweets and cakes. The first floor is mainly used as a café, but if you ask to be seated outside, you'll enjoy a wonderful view of Naxos mountains and valleys while eating under walnut trees.
    The menu is made up of a few freshly cooked and delicious dishes, but deserts are definitely the speciality of the house.

Favorite Dish: Deserts! We had a vanilla and lemon cake and a cinnamon rice pudding!

• BurgerQueen's Profile Photo

Abram: Family run tavern on a wonderful beach

by BurgerQueen Written Aug 23, 2007

The restaurant terrace

This nice tavern (and guesthouse) with terrace is located on the wondeful beach of Abràm.
    It is a family run traditional tavern where you can eat fresh fish and organic vegetables coming from their vegetable garden after taking a bath in the wonderful bay facing the restaurant.
    Close to the beach you can also find some bushes offering you a shelter in the shadow for an after-lunch siesta.
    On the tavern terrace you will also find some sculpures of a famous greek sculptor who frequently spends his holidays in this guesthouse.

Favorite Dish: Homemade vegetables cakes.

• BurgerQueen's Profile Photo

Scirocco: Excellent food and reasonable prices!

by BurgerQueen Written Aug 21, 2007

The Scirocco restaurant is located in the square defined as Main Square in Chora maps.
    It is a very clean restaurant, staff is more than friendly, and the food is absolutely excellent!
    We noticed that a lot of people just could not help going back to the restaurant, as we did for 3 times in a week!

Favorite Dish: Everything is great!

• Vija_v's Profile Photo

Meze 2: Best place for dinner!

by Vija_v Written Aug 16, 2007

We notice this place already on day time while was having our walk by the seaside.
    We came back to it at the evening and we were right. It was the most tasty dinner during whole our trip in Greece.

It is not hard to find Meze, just walk to the port side and u ll find it just by the sea!

Piccolo Mykonos & more Souvlaki: Mykonos: 2 cafes for hungry stomachs

by xuessium Updated Apr 28, 2007

PiccoloMykonos

I decided to lump both together as they happen to be along the same alley!

I had the Souvlaki prior to my exploration of Mykonos and ended my invasion with a good hearty glass of cold Cappuccino Fredo @ Piccolo Mykonos.

Can't read Greek folks, so I really have no idea what is the name of the Souvlaki shop. Manned by a lady-boss who tried her best to please every customer. The shop was designed with a (cheesy) ship and marine motiff and awashed with blue, but it was the rich aroma of freshly grilled meat that pulled my stomach in. The Souvlaki was tender and I couldn't complain more.

Favorite Dish: Piccolo stood out with its posh and bright interiors. You could understand that sandwiches and salads have to be its forte from the grand display of fresh ingredients - crispy green salad, crumbly enticing feta cheeses, vibrantly red tomatoes, and good coffee not far behind; a seductive aroma of coffee wisping around in the air.

• Hiking and Walking

The cafes of Halki: The cafes of Halki

by xuessium Written Apr 27, 2007

MyHalkiLunchEatery

Face it. It's a small town/big village. Stay and wander long enough, you'll get to know every eatery and tavern soon enough.

I had 6 hours in the interior and really spent 4 hours roaming around to the point I think you can actually see the tracks I took from space.

The village is sleepy but pretty charming and rustic in its own way. I have no way of knowing the exact name of the eatery I had my lunch but sitting under a vine canopy, having lemon pork pasta with Greek coffee, watching Greek lads playing Backgammon and a light gentle breeze blowing....well!!

Halki Cafe on the other hand, sits along the main street and attracts a fair share of customers who were waiting for their bus back into Hora. The interior was a tad gloomy and many old gentlemen sat forlorn at dusty corners, staring into space with a cup of coffee around their hands. I myself? I joined the scene peeling out of a flaking oil painting, except I chose most gratefully for a hearty cup of cold Cappuccino Fredo.

Favorite Dish: Nothing really really sticks out.

In this case, it was really about being there at the moment.

Nikos Restaurant (Agio Prokopios): Agio Prokopios beach front restaurant

by xuessium Updated Mar 31, 2007

OctopusDrying

A string of restaurants littered the beach front of Agio Prokopios Beach, each competing for the sliver of people who chose to stay at this small stretch of beach.

I was drawn into Nikos simply because the place was packed (always a good sign) and I could smell something wonderfully grilled in the air. Yes - the allure of grilled octopus was too great to pass!

Not much in the way of ambience. Rustic is the word I would use. Service was fast and pronto though and heck, I even detected a hint of a smile. I had a table to myself at the far side and from there I surveyed a rather crowded dining space full of smiling people. (Yes, another good sign)

Favorite Dish: The problem of course with dining solo, is that you can only eat that much without feeling you are carrying the world in your stomach.

I had Dormades for starters. Lovely done. Exquisite. Beats any I ever had back home.

However, the highlight was the Grilled Octopus. I was expecting something dry and chewy so when the tentacle (yes, you read right, tentacle) was served, smelling intoxicatingly wonderful, I was expecting a real tough fight ahead. Imagine my shock when the knife went through it without a hitch. Even more shock when that morsel turned out juicy, moist and flavourful.

I was left craving for more....but I decided that my wallet couldn't take the shock. (grin)

Gosh, the dinner I wasn't expecting to be a highlight turned out to be something more.

• xuessium's Profile Photo

Apostalis Taverna: Old world Greek Tavern in busy modern Naxos Town!

by xuessium Updated Mar 31, 2007

ApostalisTaverna

Came recommended in the "Let's Go" guide as a great place to seek out old world traditional Greek chow.

So, I had a great day in Delos and Mykonos, what better else to end the night but to stuff yourself with good hearty Greek food before calling it a day?

Tucked away in a side street amidst the maze that is Naxos Town but away from the crowded waterfront....this is a place indeed where old friends meet. The owners were busy chatting up with old patrons and loyal clients as the place slowly netted starry-eyed weary travellers seeking hunger salvation and soon before long, the place was clattering with the sounds of a hundred conversations and the hasty shufflings of waiters' feet.

I had a solo table at the far street end of the restaurant. Despite the warmth of the Greek day, the long windy alleys seemed to draw cool draughts in and before long, people in the outer fringes were putting on warmer clothings.

The entire place had a cosy tavern feel to it. Hanging lights from tree branches lit up the tables occupying this little square of a place. I could literally hear the kitchen at work with the shouts of orders. Above my head, the stars shone.

Favorite Dish: My 2 grouses?

What happened to service with a smile? True, I'm not a petite Oriental lass who is fond of exploding into embarassed giggles, but would it kill anyone to at least smile a little? All the waiters looked so serious with knitted brows and tightened lips. I thought Greece was at war.

Another, the S....L....O....W service. It was almost a good hour when my dinner order finally arrived and by then, my hunger literally ate itself. I lost my appetite. Yes, I heard the Greeks usually have their meals behind everyone else, but a hour? In Asia, be prepared to close your eatery FOR GOOD!

I had a greek salad, a kleftiko-style earthern pot pie and a good cup of Greek coffee. All good and tasty, but my appetite refused to be re-ignited.

Very satisfied for the food and ambience; Totally unsatisfied with the speed of the service!

Snack Bar Dionysos: Laid back snack bar in Agios Prokopios

Snack Bar Dionysos, Agios Prokopios

Snack Bar Dionysos is a simple, laid-back cafe located on the quiet main street of Agios Prokopios. It is just a 2 minute walk from Agios Prokopios' stunning beach and is about 6km from the capital Naxos Town.

It is a family-run establishment and the small children of the family were noisily playing with their toy trucks and footballs between the dining tables at the time of my visit, one evening in May 2006.

The menu includes a large selection of snack foods, including pizzas, burgers, sandwiches, spaghetti dishes (bolognaise, carbonara, napolitan) and steak with french fries.

Also on offer is an extensive breakfast menu, including eggs and bacon, croissants with jam, toast, ham and cheese, yoghurt with honey and a selection of cakes and ice creams.

Bottled beers include Amstel, Mythos, Heineken and Alfa, and Amstel is also available on draught. There is a long cocktail menu and the usual selection of spirits, soft drinks and hot beverages.

The service was very friendly and efficient.

Pizza Special Cost: 6 Euros

A large pizza topped with cheese, tomato, ham, bacon and mushroom. The base was thick, the toppings plentiful and the cheese well cooked. I also received a complimentary portion of soft white cheese in olive oil and topped with herbs.

Alfa beer (500ml bottle) Cost: 2 Euros

A laid back snack bar with the usual selection of snack foods available. Not exceptional, but no complaints at all with my meal or the service.

All Seasons Snack Bar: Cakes and milkshakes in Agios Prokopios

All Seasons Snack Bar at night

All Seasons Snack Bar is an informal snack bar located on the main street of the beach resort of Agios Prokopios (circa 6km from Naxos Town).

It offers just a couple of tables out front on the street and a couple more inside. There is a glass counter by the entrance which displays the various cakes and pastries available (they surely shouldn't be allowed to prey on the weak-willed like that!! ;-))

I stopped here for a cake one evening during my visit to Naxos in May 2006.

The menu includes cakes and pastries such as:

- chocolate brownie with ice cream;
    - sugar coated doughnuts;
    - vanilla filled doughnuts;
    - honey drenched baklava;
    - waffles with ice cream;
    - cherry pies;
    - cheese pies;

Also available are a selection of ice creams, milkshakes (chocolate, vanilla, strawberry), soft drinks, beers and hot beverages.

Chocolate brownie with ice cream Cost: 3.50 Euros

A reasonable sized square of chocolate and nut brownie topped with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream and a thin trickle of chocolate syrup.

Strawberry milkshake Cost: 4 Euros

A medium sized glass of milkshake produced from strawberry ice cream. Milkshakes seem to be particularly expensive in this part of the world.

A small snack bar, close to the beach, with a tempting selection of cakes, pastries and milkshakes.

Cafe Hideaway: Comfortable cafe in Agios Prokopios

Cafe Hideaway, Agios Prokopios

Cafe Hideaway is an intimate little cafe on the quiet main street of Agios Prokopios, about 6km from the capital Naxos Town.

The setting is very peaceful and despite being right by the road, it doesn't feel that way. It feels more like sitting in somebody's garden than it does sitting in a cafe. The dining area is full of plants and foliage, and comfortable cushioned seats, some in separated booths, provide a great place to relax while enjoying your food. In the evenings, the only light is provided by candles on the tables. Cafe Hideaway is a very apt name for this little cafe that feels shut off from the outside world.

I ate here one night during a visit to Naxos in May 2006.

The cafe offers an excellent selection of breakfast items (croissants, toast, eggs, bacon, ham, cheese, pastries, fruit juices, coffee and tea) and lunchtime snacks (pizzas, toasted sandwiches, omelettes....), as well as ice cream sundaes, and a selection of beers, wines, spirits, soft drinks, milkshakes and hot beverages.

Funghi Pizza Cost: 5.50 Euros

A medium sized pizza topped with cheese, mushrooms and green peppers. Nice enough, but could have been cooked for longer......I like the cheese to be cooked to burning point! Served with no accompaniment.

Mythos beer (500ml bottle) Cost: 1.70 Euros

An intimate little cafe in a peaceful beach resort. The choices on the menu are probably better for breakfast or lunch than an evening meal.

Nikos Restaurant: Traditional Greek fare in Naxos Town

by SWFC_Fan Updated Jun 20, 2006

Nikos Restaurant, Naxos Town

Nikos Restaurant is a traditional Greek taverna in the heart of Naxos Town.

It is located just behind the seafront road and consists of a large interior (above the Commercial Bank) and a host of outdoor tables on a pleasant back street.

I opted to eat outside in the sunshine during my lunchtime visit to this restaurant in May 2006. The setting is excellent, with some tables in the sun and others in the pleasant shade, located on a quiet, flowery back lane. Whenever I passed the restaurant, there was a line of squid hanging to dry outside, across the street, just above head height.

There is an extensive menu available, including:

Seafood: octopus, squid, cod, dogfish, swordfish, mackrel, red mullet, white bait, sole, mixed fish, lobster. (Approx. 6-8 Euros, except lobster which cost 20 Euros);

Greek dishes: Greek salad, moussaka, gyros, meatballs, fish soup, beef, chicken and pork souvlaki, beef Naxos, stuffed goat, rabbit with onions, lamb chops, veal (Approx. 5 Euros);

International dishes: beef steaks with garlic sauce, green pepper sauce or fried onions, spaghetti bolognaise, spaghetti carbonara (Approx. 5-8 Euros);

Desserts: traditional Greek pastries (eg baklava, milk pie) and ice cream sundaes;

Drinks: bottled beers, local red and white wines, spirits, cocktails, soft drinks and hot beverages.

The service was friendly and efficient. It took a while for my meal to be brought to me, but that is because I wanted my steak to be well done......I'd rather wait longer and have a properly cooked steak!

Sirloin steak with fried onions Cost: 7.50 Euros

A pretty average steak, but very well cooked. Served in a very tasty onion sauce and accompanied by chips, rice and salad. Also served with a couple of slices of crusty bread and butter (included in the cover charge of 0.60 Euros).

Amstel beer (500ml beer) Cost: 2 Euros

A nice peaceful setting to enjoy a varied choice of seafood and local specialities. The food wasn't outstanding, but I had no real complaints with my meal.

Nikos Taverna: Large taverna on Agios Prokopios seafront

by SWFC_Fan Updated Jun 17, 2006

Nikos Taverna, Agios Prokopios

Nikos Taverna is a large Greek taverna located across from the beach in the laid-back resort of Agios Prokopios (approx. 6km from Naxos Town and connected by frequent buses and taxis).

I ate here one evening during a visit to Naxos in May 2006.

In common with many of the tavernas in Naxos, the menu at Nikos is dominated by seafood and traditional Greek dishes. For example: shrimps, octopus, squid, fish, souvlaki, beef steaks, moussaka, pork and lamb. There is also a selection of salads, soups, appetizers and desserts (including ice cream, fruit and yoghurt).

This is quite a popular taverna and tended to get busy in the evenings even as early in the season as mid-May.

Minestrone soup - Cost: 2.60 Euros

A bowl of soup with lots of vegetables and just a few small pasta rings. More like a vegetable soup than minestrone, but it was thick and tasty. Served with 3 slices of crusty bread (toasted and topped with melted butter) - included within the cover charge of 0.80 Euros.

Fried codfish - Cost: 5.50 Euros

A decent sized piece of cod (containing a large bone), battered and served with a jacket potato, tzatziki, peas, sweetcorn, chickpeas and lemon. The food was good but I lacked an appetite that night so I just picked at the meal.

Mythos beer (500ml bottle) - Cost: 2 Euros

An extensive choice of good food in a peaceful seafront location.

Platia Taverna: Seafood and meat dishes in Naxos Town

by SWFC_Fan Updated Jun 17, 2006

Platia Taverna, Naxos Town

Platia Taverna is a grill house and restaurant located on a picturesque square in the centre of Naxos Town.

A host of green tables with red checked tablecloths sit inside the restaurant and outdoors beneath a canopy of green leaves.

I ate here one lunchtime during a visit to Naxos in May 2006.

The menu at Platia Taverna was similar to that of many of Naxos Town's restaurants, with an emphasis on seafood and traditional Greek meat dishes, and a few international dishes. The menu included, for example:

Seafood:: shrimps, octopus, grilled squid, fish;

Traditional Greek dishes:: moussaka, beef stifado, pork souvlaki, meatballs, oven-cooked lamb;

Spaghetti dishes:: bolognaise, carbonara, with mushrooms;

Pizzas:: a variety of pizza choices;

Desserts: a selection of cakes and pastries, ice cream, fruit, yoghurt with honey and nuts;

Drinks: bottled beers, local wines, spirits, soft drinks and hot beverages.

Spaghetti with mushrooms - Cost: 5.50 Euros

A large plate of spaghetti with mushrooms in a creamy mushroom sauce. Similar to spaghetti carbonara but with no meat in. Served with 3 slices of crusty bread with melted butter and herbs on (included within the cover charge of 0.90 Euros). A very filling meal which I could not finish at that time of day.

Mythos beer (500ml bottle) - Cost: 2.50 Euros

Upon paying my bill, I received a complimentary piece of cake (similar to baklava but filled with coconut and topped with cinnamon).

Good quality food at average prices in a central location.

Instant Answers: Naxos Island

Comments

Naxos Island Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Naxos Island restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Naxos Island sightseeing.