Nisos Sifnos Favorites

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

VATHI - NISOS SIFNOS

by LoriPori Updated Jun 17, 2007

View of our boats from the beaches

Favorite thing: Vathi, meaning deep, takes its name from the depth of the sea in the harbor, as well as from the fact that the harbor here is situated at the low end of the surrounding area. VATHI is located on the south-west side of the island of Sifnos. Actually we sailed right passed it. We were all having fun with it and chiding our captain Pavlos. The other two captains teased him too when we finally turned around and got into the harbour.
    A quiet and picturesque village, it is easily accessible both by land through the newly built road, and by sea, now that the harbor has a wharf. The old trail as well as the new two-lane highway reaches Vathi through Katavati.
    An old traditional fishing village VATHI or Vlathy was famous for its well-made ceramic pots.
    Its horsehoe-shaped beach was absolutely beautiful, clean and coooold. I admit I only put my feet into the water. As we were eating at the restaurant, we were all thrilled to see Stephanie and Gerry come out of the water in their inflatable, colourful inner tubes. What a hoot! You two are just too cool!!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

WHITE CHAPELS & AMBER SAND BEACHES

by LoriPori Updated Jun 17, 2007

Favorite thing: Wednesday, May 30, 2007
    Our Third Port of Call
    Located 79 nautical miles fromPiraeus, NISOS SIFNOS is blessed with fine amber sand beaches, picturesque windmills and an abundance of churches and white chapels (365).
    Our three sailboats moored at the Harbour in Vathy.

• bebabarbouna's Profile Photo

SIFNOS -VATHI

by bebabarbouna Written Aug 6, 2004

Favorite thing: A wonderful gulf, a great place to stay if you like to be 10 steps from the sea!!!I always stay in Vathi (check out for Areti's rooms) so that I can have the sea at my feet the whole day and go to the town of Appolonia at night just for a walk or a drink. I find this more convenient than driving aroun the whole day. Vathi is a very very quiet place, not known to tourists very much. The road ends up behind the houses. The houses are built across the shore and the ony way to walk across Vathi is by walking on the sand!!! (DO NOT take high heels, there!!not recommended!) There are 2 beautiful taverns just in front of the sea (you can actually wet your feet there!) and a small caf'e with EXCELLENT traditional sweets (try them fresh every day-yummy!)

Vathi has very clean waters and is an ideal family or couple spot.

Fondest memory: I went there 2 summers and I got to know everybody living there! Very friendly!

• Beaches

Instant Answers: Nisos Sifnos

Comments

Nisos Sifnos Favorites

Reviews and photos of Nisos Sifnos favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nisos Sifnos sightseeing.