Nisos Sifnos Restaurants

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Taverna Tsikali (sp?): Lunch With The Skippers

by johngayton Updated Dec 24, 2009

View From The Dock

This is where a little local knowledge goes a long way - sharing lunch with the skippers of our little flotilla I ate what they ate, drank what they drank - well not quite literally in as much as I had my own plates and glasses!!

The extensive menu covers pretty much most of what the average tourist would want, and perhaps expect, from a perfectly situated taverna where the gentle waves lap mere inches from your toes. Plenty of easily identifiable fish, calimari et al. My lunch companions however sorted out a menu of their own devising. I was more than happy to follow the lead.

Excellent service, perfect waterfront location, good company and a very reasonable bill made for one of my best meals ever in Greece - and I should say that I've had a hell of a lot of good ones!

Favorite Dish: Appetizers of the Island's own cheese along with tomato salad, tarama, olives and great bread were simple perfection. Then the goat stew to follow - perfectly tender and not at all "goaty", just flavoursome and simply accompanied by crispy fried potatoes. A couple of cold beers and a carafe or two of wine, sitting slightly ashade in the early afternoon sun, I learnt that all the charter skippers must be millionaires as the main topic of conversation seemed to be property investment (Yamas! Vasilli for keeping me in the loop!) .

This I enjoyed :)))

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• johngayton's Profile Photo

The Blue Taverna (?): Who Cares About A Menu?

by johngayton Updated Dec 24, 2009

Lobster Spaghetti :)))

This is the way to eat - arrive at the restaurant, don't bother with menus - just eat what's come off the boat that morning with the Aegean lapping around your ankles. Along with great company, great service, cold beer and local wine this little place really did it for me!!!

Favorite Dish: As I said there was no menu as they hadn't expected to be busy that night. When a dozen or so of us dropped in for dinner all they could offer was sun-dried octopus, little fishes and lobster - HEY! That was exactly my personal dream combo and absolutely delish it all was too!!!

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• Petali Gourmet Restaurant

by dimilag Written Aug 14, 2007

It is situated at Ano Petali and offers a panoramic view at Appolonia Village and to the surrounding islands. Its tables are situated at its beautiful garden. It offers international cuisine accompanied by selected Greek wines.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

THE ONE WITH THE HUGE CLAY OVEN: VATHI RESTAURANT RIGHT ON THE WATER

by LoriPori Updated Jul 5, 2007

Restaurant in Sifnos

The highlight of our day in Nisos Sifnos, was in the evening when we went out to eat. I have a card from this restaurant, but I just can't read the Greek writing on it. All I know is that the meal was delicious. The restaurant was in the beach area in the town of Vathi, to the right of the Harbour and it was literally on the water, just a few steps to the beach and it had a huge clay oven. Most of us had Lamb Marsalis, as in the kitchen they had a huge pot of it going and it looked soooo good. There was a generous portion of tender lamb in a red wine sauce. Also some potatoes came with it - all for 7.50 Euros.

• janetanne's Profile Photo

Seat on Sifnos Seaside

by janetanne Updated Jun 13, 2007

Have a Swim and then a bite to Eat

The food was tooooo much! I had the best Mousaka ever, but it must have had at least 2,500 calories! But, someone told me that there were no calories in food when you are on vacation, and especially on Greek islands.
    The setting was the best! It reminded me so much of the old days when I first came to Greece in the late 70's. Places like this were the norm in the summer. Unfortunately, they have been lost and can only be found on islands like Serifos...but, don't tell too many people or we will find a 'fast-food' restaurant next time we go!!! So, mums the word about this well-kept secret!

Favorite Dish: Mousaka! But, the Kokinisto (Beef in Red Sauce) looked as tempting served in a clay pot! I didn't see anything that looked bad. You decide if you get to this taverna on the sea in Sifnos!.

• Beaches

• arbendb's Profile Photo

?: Best restaurant on the island

by arbendb Written Aug 31, 2006

Situated on the central square in Artemonas. The square is kept carfree. This tavern serves delicious traditional local food. It is just a little bit more expensive than other taverns, but quality is very high. Try the capre-salad, a local specialty.

• CAMARON: PIZZA with a Greek touch

by vrondy Written Oct 21, 2005

Small convivial outdoor trattoria run by a charming greek couple from western Greece Rania and Panos who came to Sifnos over 10 years ago for a vacation and ......never left .

Favorite Dish: They serve a variety of pizza and pasta . Our favorite dishes are the Camaron pizza
    (like All dressed ) and the Mexican ( Hot and spicy ) . Panos also cooks a mean pasta dish
    with a wonderful roquefort cheese sauce .
    We spent 10 days on Sifnos and ate 5 times at Camaron .............

• Orkaena's Profile Photo

MANOLIS RESTAURANT: DON'T MISS THE FRESH SEAFOOD?? OF COURSE!!

by Orkaena Updated Aug 16, 2005

Manolis Resto, Vathy

The locals say that here is the best clay oven of the whole island, and may be it's true. The owner Manolis move ahead the restaurant with his son Stellos, and believe me, the results are marvelous. Lamb, shrimps, kalamaris, melanourias, local goat cheese, wine straight from the barrel... well it should be enough for anyone.
    Then, if you like this marvelous place and you enjoy the meals from Manolis Restaurant then rent a room beside and wait for the ending of your vacations or the ending of the world.

Favorite Dish: Lamb roasted in his clay oven, of course.

• Orkaena's Profile Photo

PETRA HOSPITALITY: THIS IS NOT A RESTAURANT, BUT...

by Orkaena Written Aug 14, 2005

German buddies and me

During our first journey to Sifnos we rented a 4WD Suzuki and with a map on my hands we'd done the amazing trip to Hieronissos, when we arrived, after the first grateful impact we started to felt hungry.
    A couple of kind germans were in the same situation, but know what... there wasn't anything to eat or to drink! (the Psarotaverna was not working yet)
    We asked to a local man that was working ceramic handcrafts and with a big smile he told us in a hard english (worst than mine, imagine...) "No sir, there are nothing here... but wait a minute, I'll go to talk with Petra, my wife", and disappeared.
    After two minutes he came back and told us: "Go to the pier (30 meters) and ask for Yiannis the fisherman, buy him a fish or whatelse and come back, Petra will cook for you, endaxi? (OK?)
    The germans and we said yes with a huge smile and we went to find Yiannis and our fishes.
    When we were back the man had installed an old wooden table under a tree on the beach with four trembling old chairs, a pack of frozen Heineken and told us again: "OK, give me the fishes (melanourias, I remember) and wait here a half hour more or less" And disappeared again.
    At all, Petra came with an old iron pot with the fishes ready to eat. Believe me, our best lunch in the island.
    A bonus, Petra were working in Germany along 12 years, so, she spoke almost perfect german, our friends were stunned, really happy.
    After a looong conversation (as long as the number of bottles of beer...) we back to Apollonia regreting because the time flyes.

Favorite Dish: Melanourias (a black/metal color fish) cooked with olive oil in a very strange manner, absolutely unforgettable, the meals and of course Petra and her husband, the Ceramic man.

RESTAURANT IN KASTRO: MORE DELIGHTFUL COURSES

by Orkaena Updated Aug 14, 2005

Fresh fish? they still moving on!!

I dont remember the name of this restaurant, (But I was in there three times) I only remember that you should go downstairs from the parking area of Kastro Village (a looong heavy stairs indeed) and when you´re at the level of the sea turn to your left between those few houses and when you're arriving to the beach at your left on the foot of the escarpment you'll find a small house with some tables looking straight to the sea, indeed this is the backyard of the house. You can see the small kitchen, a refrigerator with beers and wines, and a metallic wood/coal oven on the beach, beyond this a small boat ready to depart to catch your lunch/dinner.
    The whole family of the owner works for you, fresh fish is the main (only) course, and believe me it is really good. By night, with the moon reflecting on the waves, the silence (except the voice of the sea) and a warm conversation drinking wine could be the most similar thing to the paradise I ever seen.

Favorite Dish: Fish (anykind) roasted in the metal oven with olive oil and some local herbes, saganaki (fried cheese) and a bottle of cold white wine.

• KTF-NY's Profile Photo

Fish is EXPENSIVE!

by KTF-NY Written Nov 20, 2003

We couldn't believe how expensive fish was. There must not be many left in the Mediteranean.
    Careful! Little fish is not a small fish. It's fried anchovies, and they are bad unless served fresh in season.

Instant Answers: Nisos Sifnos

Comments

Nisos Sifnos Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Nisos Sifnos restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nisos Sifnos sightseeing.