Oia Things to Do

by jitkaceska

Most Recent Things to Do in Oia

A castle?

by Sharrie Updated May 28, 2003

On my way down, I spotted this castle... or fortress... whatever. All I know is, no way am I going to climb up there & then down again & up again back to Oia. That's insanity! Even though I love castles, but the heat was just too much to bear!

So, people, all you see here is a photo of it. If anyone on VT managed to climb up there, do let me know. I'd love to see what it's like up there!

Getting a glimpse

by Sharrie Written May 28, 2003

There it is! That kept me going down... but I knew there & then the returning trip will be a messy one!

It was a reminiscence of my last hike to Preikestolen (Norway) where I took it one step at a time & finally made it there! & then on the return, I ran out of water & all I could think of was Coke Light & that thought actually sustained me all the way! It was that powerful! Coke Light is not that light... a very powerful stimulant!

• Cruise

Maria & the Olympic Spirit

by Sharrie Updated May 27, 2003

You must meet her when you go to Oia. I was having a little problem navigating through the maze of Oia searching for Amoudi. I came by this shop that sells souvenir items for the Olympic. I found her! A truely marvelous person! Godsent! Her name is Maria... aha, with that name ;-)

Ok, I asked for my direction & I was hungry, so I took off. The journey to Amoudi wasn't an easy one. Even the local (I met another lady on the way down & saw her again while leaving Oia & she asked me if I survived the climb! lol...) proclaimed so. Anyhow, it was very hot... & I was almost breathless when I came back to Maria. So, she was kind enough to invite me in & we chatted ... for at least 30 minutes. It was very comfortable chatting with her. She's truly a gorgeous person. We exchanged emails & hopefully we'll see one another again sometime :-)

The Artist & His Prints

by Sharrie Updated May 27, 2003

The painter is Manolis Sivridakis & he's the man here. & this is his Art Gallery. Some are prints while others are art pieces. So far, I've seen the nicest collection in Oia here. I'm not a painting collector but some of you might be. So, check out his paintings. The gallery is on the path towards the castle.

Tel / Fax: 22860 71463

I bought it...

by Sharrie Updated May 27, 2003

From the same shop (Tefra Art Gallery). I've to buy something for special people. So, I bought! These ceramics pieces are designed by M. & M. Patramanis & they are handcrafted.

These items (presumably monks) reminded me of one of the Star Wars series...

I like it

by Sharrie Updated May 27, 2003

Richie goes into churches to shelter from rain.

I go into shops to shelter from the heat!

This one I went into is very interesting. It's called Tefra Art Gallery & has many crafts from neighboring islands like Crete which appeal to me.

I like these dolls but due to my long journey (I was heading for Paris & Tours after Oia) I couldn't get them as I've no desire to lug them all over France. May be next time. :-)

From the top of Oia

by Sharrie Updated May 27, 2003

From the roof top of Pelekanos Cafe, you get this marvelous view. Relax & talk to Pamagiotis. He made excellent coffee frappe :-) Nice chap, took lots of pictures for me & we shared some travel stories. There wasn't anyone at the rooftop even though it has the best view of the crater. Magnificent! I had the entire paradise to myself!

Now, I have memories of calling my loved ones up here, writing postcards to friends & spending lovely moments up here, on the top of Oia!

Oia in the day

by Sharrie Updated May 26, 2003

Not as charming as the evening but still a very special place. It has this shades of blues which you'll never ever forget after leaving.

I could never envision Oia in the rain... afterall, it was so sunny while I was there ... eternally hot in my mind. That's Oia for me :-)

Getting to Oia

by Sharrie Written May 26, 2003

OIA is the 2nd largest town in the island of Santorini. Famous for its sunsets & charming shophouses. It's pretty & everyone loves it! So do I!

On this trip, I was based in THIRA though. So, I took the hourly bus for 85 cents & got there in about 20 mins. Along the way, the bus drives through small villages by the sea & beautiful terraces lining the valley. It's truly a picturesque ride!

• Cruise

• Jimmytravel's Profile Photo

The sunset in Oia,Santorini!...

by Jimmytravel Written Feb 25, 2003

The sunset in Oia,Santorini! The cliffs,the volcano,the red beach,the black beach...
    If you're coming by ferry,the car-/busride from the harbor can be kind of scary. Especially if the ride is 30 years old. If that doesn't make you sweat,try the donkeyride down the stairs from Fira down to the sea! Madness! If you fall off,you will roll all the way to the bottom... ;-)

• Cycling

• Jimmytravel's Profile Photo

Check out Black beach & Red...

by Jimmytravel Written Sep 5, 2002

Check out Black beach & Red beach in Santorini. But beware of men who's trying to reveal what's in their shorts... Thank God they were tight! Lucky for you and us!
    The sand in these beaches can be incredible hot,so be careful.

• jitkaceska's Profile Photo

Volkanos - NEA KAMENI

by jitkaceska Written Jul 21, 2007

You can take a boat trip from Santorini to Nea Kameni. You need comfortable walking shoes for this trip. DonĀ“t miss it- Half day trip is enough to see the most important.

New lava from last eruption in 1950s On the top of island Swimming in hot sulphur springs There are many ships to sail to Nea Kameni You can enjoy panorama of Santorini
    • Sailing and Boating

• Restless-in-kl's Profile Photo

Stop & smell the roses

by Restless-in-kl Written Feb 10, 2006

Or in this case, the famous Santorini daisies that grow wild everywhere. All part of that special magical touch of Santorini which puts you under her spell!

Santorini daisies
    • Beaches

• AcornMan's Profile Photo

Touring the village

by AcornMan Written Jul 27, 2004

Oia is full of memorable sights. Its colorful buildings clinging to the cliffside present countless photo opportunities, so bring plenty of film or memory cards for your camera.

• zindara's Profile Photo

Small Churches

by zindara Written Aug 8, 2003

I loved the Bell Tower I found here and there while walking around the village...
    So many little (or even tiny) churches...

Bell Tower
    • Architecture

Instant Answers: Oia

Comments

Oia Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Oia things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oia sightseeing.