Oia Things to Do

• giampiero6's Profile Photo

Enjoy the Sunset

by giampiero6 Written Jun 19, 2007

Kick Back and Relax

Yes, I know this sounds like an obvious tip, but really, this is something of an event that everyone does in Oia. You want to the very edge of the rim, to where there is nothing but ocean ahead. Thousands of people line the little walk ways and terraces to enjoy the glorious spectacle of sunset over the aegean. When Mr. Sun does his thing, the crowds gets hushed and dare I say, reverential. it's kind of nice. There's even a round of applause for our friend's performance. Sure, you may say it's touristy, but it's quite nice, and kind of charming all these people gathered together like this. (Plus, you're in Oia, not roughing it in Sierra Leone, so quite grandstanding and enjoy it)

* It's pronounced eeya.

• zindara's Profile Photo

Sunset in Oia

by zindara Written Aug 8, 2003

Sunset in Oia Santorini

After the introduction, it is obvious.
    You can NOT miss sunset in Oia. Even if it is crowded.
    Buses leave Fira in the afternoon to arrive to Oia for the sunset and return 30 minutes after sunset.
    It is worth... even in high season. Find a place to seat in the old castle, near to the mill, or in any of the streets right in the cliff, and just relax, and enjoy...

• Beaches

• AndyRG's Profile Photo

Motto...

by AndyRG Updated May 16, 2003

Not silent...

"My heart must not be silent...
    It must take part in everything that verges..."
    Pablo Neruda (1904-1973, the famous poet of Chile, who had also won the Nobel prize in literature in 1971).
    Enlarge the picture to see it all...
    I had noticed this slogan inside the courtyard of the elementary school, the war in Iraq was still present...

Getting to Oia

by Sharrie Written May 26, 2003

OIA is the 2nd largest town in the island of Santorini. Famous for its sunsets & charming shophouses. It's pretty & everyone loves it! So do I!

On this trip, I was based in THIRA though. So, I took the hourly bus for 85 cents & got there in about 20 mins. Along the way, the bus drives through small villages by the sea & beautiful terraces lining the valley. It's truly a picturesque ride!

• Cruise

Looking back at Fira

by littlesam1 Written Jun 25, 2007

Looking back at Fira from Oia you can see how beautiful the hike between the two villages could be. The trail leads from Fira an then over the cliff and across the rocks until you reach the entrance to Oia. It does appear beautiful and awesome. However I still had no regrets that I took the bus. If your a little younger than me or maybe a little more adventureous you can take the hike. I'll meet you at the bus station!

I like it

by Sharrie Updated May 27, 2003

Richie goes into churches to shelter from rain.

I go into shops to shelter from the heat!

This one I went into is very interesting. It's called Tefra Art Gallery & has many crafts from neighboring islands like Crete which appeal to me.

I like these dolls but due to my long journey (I was heading for Paris & Tours after Oia) I couldn't get them as I've no desire to lug them all over France. May be next time. :-)

The bus stop in Oia

The bus stop in Oia

Bus stops can be interesting places. Playwrites and novelists have written entire stories about adventures at bus stops. As I mentioned in the opening page for Oia Mark and I took the bus to Oia instead of hiking across the cliffs from Fira. There was a hike arranged for the Vters at the Santorini meeting. When I first signed up to join the meeting the hike sounded like a wonderful idea. Then when I arrived in Santorini and saw the cliffs, the heat, the humidity, the hike became less and less attractive to me. So Mark and I decided to take the easy way to Oia and ride on the bus. Gillian (Gillybob) joined us. We were supposed to have an area where all the VTers would meet in Oia before viewing the sunset and going to dinner, but we were unable to find the location. So after taking a tour of the village we decided to wait at the bus stop to see what other VTers would show up.

• littlesam1's Profile Photo

Go early and enjoy the views

by littlesam1 Written Jun 25, 2007

I strongly suggest go a little early before the sunset to really enjoy Oia. Take some time to walk the narrow streets, see the blue domed churches and just enjoy the traditional beauty of this village. Although its not as touristy as Fira, once the crowds start arriving for the sunset the village looses its traditional charm. Go early.

• littlesam1's Profile Photo

Ammoudi - A small port at the bottom of the cliff

Ammoudi

After viewing the sunset we were supposed to meet our VT friends for dinner at the Sunset Restaurant in Ammoudi. Ammoudi is the small port for Oia at the bottom of the cliff. As I mentioned before we decided to take a bus and not hike to Oia. However it was obvious as we looked over the cliff to Ammoudi that we still had to do quite a hike to get there. As a matter of fact there were 300 steps down the cliff to Ammoudi.

Oia in the day

by Sharrie Updated May 26, 2003

Not as charming as the evening but still a very special place. It has this shades of blues which you'll never ever forget after leaving.

I could never envision Oia in the rain... afterall, it was so sunny while I was there ... eternally hot in my mind. That's Oia for me :-)

From the top of Oia

by Sharrie Updated May 27, 2003

From the roof top of Pelekanos Cafe, you get this marvelous view. Relax & talk to Pamagiotis. He made excellent coffee frappe :-) Nice chap, took lots of pictures for me & we shared some travel stories. There wasn't anyone at the rooftop even though it has the best view of the crater. Magnificent! I had the entire paradise to myself!

Now, I have memories of calling my loved ones up here, writing postcards to friends & spending lovely moments up here, on the top of Oia!

I bought it...

by Sharrie Updated May 27, 2003

From the same shop (Tefra Art Gallery). I've to buy something for special people. So, I bought! These ceramics pieces are designed by M. & M. Patramanis & they are handcrafted.

These items (presumably monks) reminded me of one of the Star Wars series...

The Artist & His Prints

by Sharrie Updated May 27, 2003

The painter is Manolis Sivridakis & he's the man here. & this is his Art Gallery. Some are prints while others are art pieces. So far, I've seen the nicest collection in Oia here. I'm not a painting collector but some of you might be. So, check out his paintings. The gallery is on the path towards the castle.

Tel / Fax: 22860 71463

Maria & the Olympic Spirit

by Sharrie Updated May 27, 2003

You must meet her when you go to Oia. I was having a little problem navigating through the maze of Oia searching for Amoudi. I came by this shop that sells souvenir items for the Olympic. I found her! A truely marvelous person! Godsent! Her name is Maria... aha, with that name ;-)

Ok, I asked for my direction & I was hungry, so I took off. The journey to Amoudi wasn't an easy one. Even the local (I met another lady on the way down & saw her again while leaving Oia & she asked me if I survived the climb! lol...) proclaimed so. Anyhow, it was very hot... & I was almost breathless when I came back to Maria. So, she was kind enough to invite me in & we chatted ... for at least 30 minutes. It was very comfortable chatting with her. She's truly a gorgeous person. We exchanged emails & hopefully we'll see one another again sometime :-)

Enjoy the view

by littlesam1 Written Jun 25, 2007

Oia has shops, a few restaurants and tavernas and other things that would attract tourists. But for me the best thing Oia has to offer is the magnificant views. You can find a quiet spot and just sit for hours watching the waves or the volcano. During the afternoon before all of the tourists arrive for to view the sunset its possible to just get lost in your thoughts and relax overlooking the cliffs of Oia.

Instant Answers: Oia

Comments

Oia Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Oia things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oia sightseeing.