Related Santorini Island Favorites Tips

Most Viewed Favorites in Santorini Island

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

View from Ancient Thira

by sandysmith Updated Jun 5, 2008

Favorite thing: The rock separating Kamari from Perissa is known as Cape Mesa Vouno . Ancient Thira sits atop this barren rock - the site is more of an interest destination for tourists, and not much of an important archaeological site 'at this time'. Old building foundations are apparent, as is a poorly preserved theatre, and many very faint carvings of an erotic nature apparently. The site is only open from 8.30am - 2.30pm and is closed on Mondays - we were going to go on our last day..but that was a Monday. However we have seen many good archaeological sites in Turkey so didn't really feel as if we'd missed out. We drove up the hairpin bends and enjoyed the incredible views anyway. Superfit people (you know who you are) walked up here in 30 mins, if you don't have a car there is a minbus service from the bottom of the hill. Bear in mind there is still a bit of climbing once you reach the top bus stop. The hiking paths either side of the hill came be seen as well.

hairpin bends up to ancient Thira. view back down view onto Kamari beach path going up to Thira
    • Archeology

• Helga67's Profile Photo

Architecture

by Helga67 Written Jun 3, 2008

Favorite thing: I loved the picturesque whitewashed villages on the top of impressively high cliffs with the small white cubed houses with blue doors and windows and caves built in the hill. This was so typical for the island.

Pyrgos Pyrgos Emborio

• Helga67's Profile Photo

Beaches

by Helga67 Updated Jun 2, 2008

Favorite thing: Most beaches on Santorini are black lava sandy beaches and are located on the east side of the island. The most famous ones are in Perissa and Kamari.

However, I liked especially the Red Beach, near Akrotiri. It is located in a quitter area in the southern part of the island. The beach is composed of black and red volcanic rocks.
    It can only be reached by boat or private car. From the parking lot you still need to walk over a rocky path towards the beach.

There is a kiosk with drinks on the parking lot.

Red beach a secluded beach Kamari beach Red beach

PICKING UP WOMEN

by DAO Written Feb 16, 2008

Favorite thing: NO. This is not a dating tip. For some reason, after a lot of beer, I thought it would be funny to pick up some ladies. I mean physically pick them up. I think they drank a lot of beer too as they thought this was as funny as I did. Oh well. You have to have fun don't you?

MEETING OTHER PEOPLE !

by DAO Updated Feb 16, 2008

Fondest memory: Believe it or not – I met people who were not VT Members. In fast in addition to the wonderful new VT friends I made, I also had the privileged of meeting some other fantastic men and women on my short adventure. I think the combination of good weather, scenic beauty and magic of Greece gets people to relax and make it easy to be friendly. Some of the people I met:

Picture 1
    A fun couple from Liverpool. Also known as ‘Scousers’ they had the typical Liverpool sense of humour and adventure. We danced and drank and sang. A great, if not inebriated time.

Picture 2
    The lovely lady bartenders who not only survived the full drunken onslaught of the VT gang – they actually enjoyed it! Great service with big smiles! Thank you ladies!

Picture 3
    The waiter at The Friendly Greek Taverna. This guy reopened the restaurant for me at MIDNIGHT and still brought us free olives. He stayed open until THEY RAN OUT OF BEER! He seemed to dance around and opened beers quick as lightening. He told me I was the best and Number 1. He even gave me a beer on the house!

Picture 4
    The most beautiful woman from Northern Ireland, her mum and her attractive friend. I walked up the Volcano with them and they were funny, friendly, charming and absolutely down to earth. Nice one ladies!

Picture 5
    Daria from London. She was leaving in 3 hours in the middle of the night. Still she let me pick her up and throw her across the bar. Just joking! She danced with us and thought VT people were great. She is right, but she should also see us sober to before she makes her final judgement!

• Singles

DRINKING AT THE FRIENDLY GREEK TAVERNA

by DAO Updated Feb 16, 2008

Favorite thing: I ended up drinking in the Friendly Greek Taverna (Also known as Koutouli) for 3 nights in a row with phenomenal members of VT! We had a honeymoon couple, single travellers, small groups and absolute drunkards like myself. What a great time! Our hosts even opened for us after they had closed when I asked them nicely. They also gave us free olives and other food to go with our well priced big beers. We sat outside and laughed and sang and talked. I even saved a cat from certain death and we fed the offending dogs anyway. VT! What a website! Wow!

Thank you to all the VT Members who came and drank with me! I really enjoyed your company and we had a great time.

All the very best!

DAO

• Singles

• DAO's Profile Photo

GALATEA THANK YOU! JANET THANK YOU!

by DAO Updated Feb 16, 2008

Fondest memory: Janet and Galatea, Thank You both for inviting me to Santorini and the VT Euro Meeting! I remember how excited I was when I got that invitation and booked my flights. Before the meeting you both did so much to organise boats (lots of boats), restaurants, tours, busses and timetables. Wow! This was on a huge scale and I don’t know how you did it!

I really enjoyed the 3 ½ walk organised by Galatea, especially when she had our group gatecrash a family wedding (pictured!). I also enjoyed the volcano walk and swim in the hot springs right up to the moment I lost my glasses in the ocean.

Then there was the last night and the big dinner. I finally got to see broken plates even though Galatea told me they don’t do that anymore (I have a picture of that too). Janet and I had a chat about our days in Michigan and our favourite grocery store. Ok, so we had a lot to drink.

Then the Big Party!

What a party! Dancing in the bar, dancing in the streets, and being thrown out by Giampiero repeatedly. We even attempted to do Greek Dancing, but we probably should have done it earlier in the evening. I remember walking back to my hotel with a huge smile on my face even though I was sad to leave and say goodbye to the last person. I promptly went skinny dipping in my hotel pool because my clothes would not dry before my flight. But that’s a different story.

Ladies- THANK YOU for the times people didn’t show up, boat captains shouted at you and when the money did not cover the drinks. I know you both had to cover costs by others when they did not show up.

We were quite a handful and it required endless patience with us and Santorini’s ideas of organisation. I know I was more than a handful just by myself! Thank you for dancing with me, I really enjoyed it.

I will always remember my VT Meeting because of you.

All the very best.

Love,

DAO

• Spa and Resort
    • Luxury Travel

• om_212's Profile Photo

Preventing sea sickness

by om_212 Written Oct 2, 2007

Favorite thing: if you are planning to do island hopping in September-October, when the Aegean Sea is quite restless, make sure to take some pills against sea sickness. My friend has recommended to buy Drimen (Dimenhydrinate 50mg) while in Greece. it worked great. just take one pill (instead of two) an hour before your board a boat to keep you well and ready to explore the next destination.

• Beaches

• 88Starflite's Profile Photo

Hike Before You Visit

by 88Starflite Written Sep 27, 2007

Favorite thing: Being in pretty good shape I was surprised at how I tired from all the walking I did while during my first two trips to Santorini. My third trip was better, I was able to hike up ancient Thera and also felt much better over all. I would say it's similar to going on a ski trip when you're out of shape vs. one that you are in shape for. You can't go wrong even if you don't explore that much it's good to be in shape.

Fondest memory: I would say it's the nights a spent with friends at Arion Bay Hotels bar and also the Boat House Hotels Bar

View Of Kamari From My Ancient Thera Hike View Of Pressia From My Ancient Thera Hike Roman Ruins In Ancient Thera Mtn. Road Winds Up To The Ruins Feeling Good After Hiking A Mtn. In Crete

AMAZING VIEWS

by LoriPori Updated Jul 21, 2007

Favorite thing: I guess the thing I will remember most about Santorini are the AMAZING VIEWS. They simply take your breath away. The terrace from our hotel was an amazing spot as you could see the islands in the distance. Far - yet close. There - but not quite. A space for solitude. From there I could also feel the wind blowing softly over my face - the sun warming my body - truly magical!

Amazing view from our terrace

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

THE PIRATE SHIP -- Arrrrr!!!

by LoriPori Written Jul 4, 2007

Favorite thing: Saturday, our VT group headed down the Funicular to the Port area as we were going on the PIRATE SHIP. At least 50 of us were on board that day and what a fun day it was. First place we went was across the Caldera to the Volcano on Nea Kameni. Many got out and walked along the lava rock. It was quite hot to be doing that. Our next stop was at the hot springs. That was awesome, to see everyone jump from the ship into the water. Hansi did a magnificent belly flop. The water near the shore was a brown colour because of the sulphur.
    Next was the stop on Thirassia island. We were to have lunch at the Panorama, but first we had to get up the steep hill where the restaurant was located. So you could either walk up or take the Donkey ride up the hill which most of us did. Now that was a hoot. (See my travelogue on Thirassia Donkey Ride). The lunch was fabulous with traditional Greek dishes.

VT gang having fun on the Pirate Ship Pirate Ship on Nea Kameni G and Hansi

THIRASSIA

by LoriPori Updated Jun 22, 2007

Favorite thing: Saturday June 2, 2007
    VT Pirate ship trip to Thirassia
    Off Santorini, near Oia, THIRASSIA is the largest of a chain of islets formed by volcanic activity and the only one inhabited. It is across the Caldera from Santorini.
    It's sole village, Horio, is a pretty place with whitewashed houses, reached by a flight of 250 steps from the landing-place.
    On Saturday, a large group of VTers went on the Island of Thirassia as part of the Pirate Ship trip. We all went up by donkeys (see my "Donkey" travelogue ) up to the Panorama Restaurant where we had lunch of traditional Greek food. There was amazing views from up there.

View of Island from Pirate Ship Going up By Donkey View from the Panorama Restaurant View of steps going down

MAGICAL SUNSETS

by LoriPori Updated Jun 19, 2007

Favorite thing: Friday, Saturday & Sunday - June 1, 2 & 3, 2007
    Our fifth Port of Call & Final Destination
    Built on the rim of a submerged volcanic crater, the beautiful island of SANTORINI is our last Port of Call. Renownd for its magnificent views, remarkable landscapes, turquoise seas and magical sunsets, Santorini is the Black Pearl of the Aegean. The winding streets of its quaint villages are lined with shops, restaurants. open-air cafe's and nightspots.
    The princiapal towns of Fira and Oia are perched on the rim of the submerged crater and their colorful restaurants and tavernas tumble down the cliff-face. Sunsets defy description and are best shared with others celebrating "Sundown", just as we did Friday night in Oia with our fellow VTers.

• luckybluesman's Profile Photo

A fun way to test your knowledge

by luckybluesman Written Jun 18, 2007

Favorite thing: After you have done your pre-vacation research and looked at all the wonderful photo's sent in by other VT members check out the video of Santorini at this website and see if you can identify where you are. The video runs about 6 minutes, so have a bit of wine, sit back, and dream while you watch.

• luckybluesman's Profile Photo

Let the barganing begin

by luckybluesman Updated Jun 18, 2007

Favorite thing: I love to bargain, even if I know the prices of things have been inflated to allow for it. Thanks to a tip from another VT member I decided to stay at the Villa Ilias in Firostefani. http://www.villailias.gr.
    Their high season prices begin on July 15th. When I asked for a room on July 13th they told me they were fully booked. They said they had a room available on July 17th. I offered to take the room but would only pay the mid-season rate, which they agreed to. These folks are so nice to work with on the phone and I look forward to my one night stay with them. I will review the hotel upon my return.

Santorini Island Hotels

Best Western Kallisti Thera Hotel
Sunny Villas
Arapiou Apartments

Instant Answers: Santorini Island

Comments

Santorini Island Favorites

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Santorini Island locals.
Map of Santorini Island