Santorini Island Local Customs

• carolondon's Profile Photo

Weddings in Santorini for foreigners

by carolondon Written Jul 27, 2006

Capturing the wedding experience

I went to Santorini to get married, and I just had to place a reccomendation for the wedding company I chose to help me achieve this. I looked at a few companies and after looking at lots of glowing references for "Santorini Weddings" I decided to give them a go. The owner, Anna, is polite and helpful in all emails and in person she is friendly, funny and very, very approachable. I felt completely at ease with Anna and enjoyed my day so much more, knowing that someone so professional yet still so friendly and accepting of our ideas, was in charge of making it run well.
    Satorini has become a favourite place for 'destination weddings' as they are known, and I was a little worried that I may end up feeling like one in a line of many bride-like cattle, tramping through the routine before the next lorry arrives... But Anna chose a place for the wedding that was exquisite, remote and private. I felt like her energy was focussed on us when ever we were with her and that she listened carefully to our needs and wishes when putting together our day.
    We chose a package that includes photos and a video, which means that when we return to Australia to celebrate there with friends and family, we'll have some beautiful evidence of the day to show them all.

• steventilly's Profile Photo

Tavernas & Restaurants

by steventilly Written Jun 18, 2006

It's common in tavernas on the Greek islands to get some kind of freebie with your meal, sometimes by way of an appetiser (bread & dips for example) and sometimes a "desert", usually fresh fruit. Almost without exception you get an ouzo or some other kind of drink at the end too. In one place on Kos the "free" starter was delicious and substantial and almost filled us up before our meal! In Rhodes, one place brought us so much fruit (grapes, and really delicious grapes too!) we almost burst.
    On Santorini it seemed to be different. We never got anything at all anywhere except Ferentini in Oia, where we got a drink at the end, a local Vinsanto sweet wine.

• AcornMan's Profile Photo

Vinsanto

by AcornMan Written Apr 11, 2006

Santorini is home to a very sweet and tasty dessert wine called Vinsanto. Although I have seen it characterized as a white dessert wine, it is actually a rose or golden color. Typically it comes in bottles smaller than a standard wine bottle because it is stronger, more concentrated, and much sweeter than ordinary wine. It's a great way to finish a meal, especially if you're not up for a shot of ouzo.

• soccergrrl's Profile Photo

Fish

by soccergrrl Updated Apr 14, 2004

Big nets, little fish

This is a scene I caught on our way home from dinner one night in Ammoudi, the harbor at the base of Oia's cliffs. The men are pulling the little fish (sardines, maybe? I should have asked! VT member Nada1712 tells me they are called "marithes") out of the fishing nets. On Naxos, I got to sample these fish in the traditional Greek way of eating them (at least, I think these are the same kind of fish). Lightly battered, cooked, sprinkled with salt and lemon, and eaten whole.

• AcornMan's Profile Photo

Greek cats

by AcornMan Written Apr 11, 2004

Cats in Akrotiri

I once saw a big book at a bookstore here in the U.S. devoted entirely to cats in the Greek Islands. And sure enough, we saw scenes similar to those in the book repeated over and over in Greece. There must be ten times as many cats as people in some places. These two sleepy kittens were napping on a stairway in Akrotiri when I came lumbering along with my camera.

A word of warning though: Nearly all the cats we came across seemed more wild than domesticated, so give them their space and don't try petting them unless they seem friendly. I can almost guarantee that they have not been declawed!

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

Nescafe frappe

by SirRichard Written Dec 12, 2003

2 frappes

Frappe is basically a Nescafe shake. You can have it with or without milk, with or without sugar. It normally comes in a big glass with a straw to drink it.

It makes a delicious refreshment on summer days!

• ncoutroulis's Profile Photo

pups

by ncoutroulis Updated Oct 17, 2003
    stray pups

Santorini, and Greece in general, has some of the cutest dogs just wandering around the islands. A lot of people avoid them, but I couldn't resist. They just cruise around the island and find their way back again. It's pretty amazing.

• ncoutroulis's Profile Photo

Donkeys

by ncoutroulis Written Oct 17, 2003

It's nice to see that as commercial as Santorini is, there are still some traditions that live on, no matter what. Donkeys still make the trip up and down the steep hills that lead from the Sea, to the village of Oia.

• AndyRG's Profile Photo

Donkey ride...

by AndyRG Updated May 7, 2003

Poor animals... From one point of view, it can be funny to climb the tiring "footpaths" from Ammoudi to Oia and the small port of Fira to Fira -and the opposite- with their help (for the second direction better choose the cable car).
    On the other hand, these donkeys must feel unhappy...

• Horse Riding

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

Farming Style

by sandysmith Written May 31, 2008

Out in the countryside of Santorini as we were driving towards Akrotiri traditional farming methods can be seen. We stopped to watch this farmer turning these horses to flatten some crops.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

And Another Siesta!!

by johngayton Written Jun 18, 2007

Don't Want To Cuddle Too Close In This Heat!

Just had to use this pic too - I known, I know, we're not supposed to be this self-indulgent but hey it's a great pic!!

• johngayton's Profile Photo

When the sun is high...........

by johngayton Written Aug 1, 2006

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

............its siesta time. Sorry, this is just another excuse for posting a photo but it is a local custom for the dogs anyway!

• Beer Tasting

• AndyRG's Profile Photo

Cats?

by AndyRG Updated May 16, 2003

Sweet model

Cats, dogs and donkeys are so many in Santorini, maybe more than the inhabitants and its churches... Most of them will pose for you easily, they have been used to it...

Instant Answers: Santorini Island

Comments

Santorini Island Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Santorini Island local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Santorini Island sightseeing.

View all Santorini Island hotels