Fira Town, Santorini Island

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

THE LOCAL TAVERNAS: SITTING ON THE EDGE

by travelgourmet Updated Oct 6, 2012

THE EDGE OF THE CALDERA

While in Santorini, you must eat, and when you do, pick a Taverna that is on the edge of the cliffs of the caldera. Remember that the view is of a volcano's violent eruption. Not only is the food going to taste better, but the view is worth the price of the dessert. Many tourists gather in the restaurants that are near the cliffs. A great way to meet others that are like minded.

Favorite Dish: A shot of ouzo, a block of Feta cheese smothered in olive oil and rained on with black pepper. Followed by a cold beer chaser. Well, a cold beer goes good anytime. OPA!

• Beer Tasting
    • Cruise

• Yogues's Profile Photo

Selene's: Best food on Santorini

by Yogues Updated Jul 9, 2012

Selene's is an amazing restaurant at the souther edge of Fira overlooking the calders. The menu is very unique.I had rabbit pate, cold white eggplant salad, santorini salad (tomatos, cucumbers and goat cheese), seafood pasta, rabbit casseroll, yogurt ice cream with honey, and eggplant confit. Strange combinations very delicious.

• Spiros7's Profile Photo

Senor Zorbas: One Mexican Mistake - Three Victims Sick

by Spiros7 Written Apr 13, 2012

My friends and I had one lovely day on Santorini.. the other three, we were all sick from Food Poisoning at Senor Zorbas. I only wish I could turn back the clock and avoid this cliff side mistake not just because the mexican fast food made us sick, but because of the sharp hostility and verbal abuse we got from the thugs that run this place. I wanted to send the food back but my two friends were enjoying the view so much (taking pictures) that they munched a bit - paid and left. I have never been so ill in my life.

• STAMNA GARDEN TAVERN: obvious cheat and fraud

by tara_zhang Written Dec 14, 2011

DO NOT GO TO STAMNA GARDEN TAVERN

This is Miss Zhang writing from Shanghai China. Literally this is regarding a controversial payment I have been made on 5th August 2011 at the restaurant gSTAMNA GARDEN TAVERNh located in Thira, Santorini, Greece. I did have a great dinner over there but the enjoyment of it was spoiled by receiving my credit card statement. Let me explain.

The bill was totally 110 in Euro. I was told by the staff that they accepted credit card payment method but without a POS machine. And what they could do was to manually print and record my card and credit my card later from the bank. The staff also mentioned that there was a minimum amount limit on each transaction, so my card had to be charged by four times to finish the full amount. They asked me to sign on four of the sheets they provided for me. It was 25 Euro each and made it 100 euro all together. I had to remind them that the bill was 110 in total, so it was short of 10 Euro. So I signed an extra fifth sheet and they thanked me. Before I made my way, I even left a tip.

After my vacation in Greece, I received my credit card bill statement in China. It shows that the five transactions are separately 24 Euro, 47 Euro, 47 Euro, 47.5 Euro and 48 Euro. This is absolutely wrong and unacceptable. I am very unhappy and angry with the behavior that gSTAMNA GARDEN TAVERNh made on me. It was an obvious cheat and fraud. I am writing to ask my bank to look into the matter as soon as they can- not only on my behalf but also on behalf of other victims as far as I know. I am asking a REFUND, a reasonable EXPLANATION and a sincere APOLOGY. And I will tell everyoneCDO NOT GO TO STAMNA GARDEN TAVERN!!!

Favorite Dish: obvious cheat and fraud

• STAMNA TAVERN: DO NOT GO TO STAMNA TAVERN

by bubufifi Written Aug 29, 2011

BEWARE OF THIS SIDE STREET RESTAURANT IN CENTRAL THIRA. THEY OVERCHARGE SUBSTANTIALLY FOR BELOW AVERAGE FOOD AND THEY ARE HOSTILE AND RUDE. THERE ARE MANY NICE PLACES TO EAT OR TAKE OUT IN SANTORINI, YOU DO NOT NEED TO GO TO THIS ONE.

• Stamna Garden Tarven: Be warned! "Stamna Garden Tavern"

by Bella88 Written Aug 17, 2011

Be prepared to pay $$$ if you choose to eat at this takeaway/eat in fast food shop!

On our first day in santorini, the owner pulled us into his shop and asked us where we were from. He then quickly grabbed one of his staff who was so from Australia to snap up a coversation with us. At the end of the conversation, they asked us to go back to the Tarven and they will "look after" us as they were the best place to eat in Fira Town.

The following day, we decided to grab takeaway for dinner from Stamna Garden Tavern as we thought that they were quite warm and friendly. When we ordered, we did not ask for the price and neither were there prices on the walls. We ordered 6 souvlaki sticks and 4 grilled prawns which came with chips and tomatoes. We had eaten at other places in santorini and the souvlaki sticks were around €1.50-2.50 per stick.

To out horror, the bill came to €45 which is around €60!! that's the sort of price you'll pay in santorini to dine in at a resturaunt with an ocean view!! We asked how the bill totaled to €45 and he said €30 for 6 souvlaki sticks and €15 for the 4 grilled prawns. I've gotta say that it was ridiculous but we couldn't argue about it as there were no prices listed. If they had to fish the prawns and slay the cattles then fair enough!

To top things off, the souvlaki was raw. We told the owner and he brushed us off saying that that was how they serve it in Greece. I'm not sure about you, but raw chicken and pork is definitely not on my menu!

The Aussie bloke who worked there and chatted to us on the first day saw what was happening but didn't say anything at all. My advice is to not eat there unless your willing to throw your money away. They're only nice to you until you order with them.

• Photography

• Orkaena's Profile Photo

ARGO RESTAURANT: FRIENDLY PLUS GOOD MEALS

by Orkaena Updated Apr 4, 2011

once upon a time...I was the cheff

This resto belongs to a greek couple very friends of mine, Bibi and Mihalis. They both works a lot every summer season in this place located at the main pedestrian street of Fira with a great view to the Caldera. Typical greek foods with a home made touch given by the expertise hands of Mihalis, the cooker.
    As you can see the price is qualified as "About Average", but it doesn't means "cheap". It's expensive as every things in this island, so, "Average" for the Santorini standards.

Favorite Dish: Moussaka, garides (shrimps) kai melanouria (a fish almost black skin color), supported neccessarily with a cold bottle of Rose Boutari wine... parakalo!

• DAO's Profile Photo

KIPOS: CHEAP GYROS - NOT ANYMORE !

by DAO Updated Sep 29, 2010
    NOT CHEAP ANYMORE

When I came across Kipos in 2007 I was really impressed. They actually roast their meat in the front window. I ordered a Gyros and the barbeque man cut off some tender Souvlaki and made me a super fantastic Gyros. And it was well priced! In fact I went there several times in the space of a few days. It’s no wonder they have a sign up inside the Taverna with their award as the best Garden Tavern in 2006.

Fast forward to the year 2010. Should 2 Gyros really cost me 16 Euros to takeaway!? NO!!!! OK, one was supposed to be ‘Large’. The ‘Large’ look exactly the same as the small except they threw in about 10 french fries. Tasted OK, not great like it was. The weird thing? Nothing has changed. Still grilled in the window by the exact same guy. Cashier? Same woman. Décor inside and out? Look at the pictures for yourself. The only things that have change are:

• Price up
    • Quality down

Unfortunately it’s actually easier to get a better quality Gyros CHEAPER in Athens!

To many ‘Boutique’ Restaurants being dinned in by people like you are killing off traditional Tavernas and Taverna food here in Santorini. Please patronise local Tavernas or one day you will not be able to even get Greek food on this island.

Favorite Dish:

GYROS. Well, it used to be.

• Singles

STAMNA – GARDEN RESTAURANT

by DAO Updated Sep 28, 2010

This place is great for either the quick lunch takeaway or a romantic dinner. Great food, huge and varied menu, friendly and quick staff and a great setting. This restaurant does not have Caldera views to drive up the prices. It is just slightly down the hill from the main square in Fira. For lunch they do a full range of Gyros: pork, lamb and chicken! For dinner they will grill any seafood or meat you want. They also make a good Stamna and Mousaka. Just go to the large glass case and pick your choice. You can then watch the fantastic chefs cook your dinner to perfection right in front of you.

They also do traditional Greek dishes like Mousaka and have vegetarian options as well.

Favorite Dish:
    I had the mixed grill (pictured) with house wine. Fantastic for meat lovers! They also do some fantastic seafood (also pictured). Enjoy!

PELICAN CAFE & WINE RESTAURANT: NICE ENEOUGH

by DAO Updated Sep 27, 2010

This new restaurant loves to tell you in their menu that they have a 400 year old cave 9 meters (30 feet) serving as a wine cellar housing 200 labels. I only wanted the 1 waiter to actually appear when I requested him about a dozen times. From about 10 bored staff walking around doing absolutely nothing.

This restaurant is really pretty. I wanted it to be more than it was, but it wasn’t. It’s actually a hotel restaurant for the nearby Costa Marina Villas and Pelican Hotel. The surroundings are lovely. Actual grape vines form part of the canopy and the garden is an oasis of peace right in the heart of Fira Town. The food was very good. Not great. Prices were appropriate for what you get.

The problem is the service. 1 waiter on a busy night? What were all the other staff for? When I finally wanted to order a bottle of wine – the waiter arrived 20 minutes later to talk me out of it! The bottle I got was severely below average.

As for the salads, they seemed to be thrown together. The Greek Salad had Feta cheeses with no taste. It had not been marinated or even had oil put on it until I rectified that. It only took about an extra 10 minutes to get the oil and vinegar. What were the other staff for again? I kept asking for things and they kept telling me they would ask the waiter to come. Then the waiter would finally show up and ask what I wanted. He even tried to talk me out of using the toilet I was walking towards to use another farther away. What was he for?

If you want to be ignored by at least 5 staff – this is the place to eat. Food OK. Nothing better, service stupid.

Favorite Dish:

I had the almost tasteless Greek salad and the actually delicious stuffed squid. And a rubbish bottle of red wine.

• Luxury Travel
    • Wine Tasting

• DAO's Profile Photo

TRIANA: "YOU NEVER CHANGE YOUR TAVERNA"

by DAO Updated Sep 26, 2010

Triana Restaurant is a must eat at Taverna in Fira. Why? Because it is one of the few surviving traditional Tavernas left. They have been serving up great Greek food at great prices for 45 years. The owner, Aris Pashalidis told me that the Greeks have a saying: “You don’t change your barber and you don’t change your Taverna”. Too many traditional tavernas in Fira have lost business to ‘fusion’ art houses parading small morsels of food as ‘meals’. Triana serves you traditional meals that fill you up and make you happy. They also serve good beer and wine if you want to sit and have a relaxing drink without the need of a bank loan.

The interesting thing about the quality of the food was when we first noticed the Greek Salad. The huge chunk of Feta cheese just tasted better than any we enjoyed in Greece. Why? Because they had properly marinated the cheese like any Greek household would! Find a busy restaurant in Fira and I will show you restaurants that do not properly prepare their Feta! Eat here and taste the difference.

Triana is on the main road and has a lovely terrace overlooking the ocean and several nearby islands. It does not have Caldera views so its prices are not elevated, only its terrace.

And yes, I ate there twice on my last visit. Everything is just good. Greek salads, Stamna, spaghetti, vegetarian dishes, house wine. All well prepared and served with a nice conversation and smiles.

Mr. Pashalidis is looking to retire, so if you would like to carry on a proud tradition, you can actually buy Triana!

Favorite Dish:

I enjoyed STAMNA a traditional dish of baked beef in a casserole dish. It had huge hunks of tender beef seasoned to perfection. I had a Greek salad to start the festivities and washed it down with house wine that was cheap in price, great on quality.

When we had lunch there I had the ‘Tirana Special Salad’ with fresh seafood.

• DAO's Profile Photo

NON-CALDERA VIEWS: SUPPORT LOCAL TAVERNAS !

by DAO Updated Sep 25, 2010

Would you make your on meals MORE expensive if you could? Read this very carefully or you will be doing just this in Fira. In Fira you can get some really great Moussaka for less than $10. You can get some really average Moussaka for more than $20. Why? Because some really average and poor restaurants have Caldera views. They charge you a premium for this fact. Not the quality of their food. The non-Caldera view restaurants are more likely to be family owned/run and really make great food so you come back.

Just let me put this in perspective. 2 of the 3 Restaurants used at the big VT Euromeeting in 2007 are out of business in 2010. The 3rd was not in Fira. Both were excellent and did not have Caldera views. I ate in a 3rd and had a delightful meal. Today it’s an empty building. The Friendly Greek Taverna I rode a scooter through? Closed. No more fun.

The Caldera view restaurants also have more dinners and faster turn-over. Often serving mediocre food at high prices.

The owned of Triana Restaurant has been just over the hill from the Caldera for 40 years. He told me ‘You don’t change your barber and you don’t change your Taverna’. He makes a lot of sense. So much so that I ate there twice on my last visit. Great food, great price, great conversation.

So make sure you eat SOME of your meals in the non-Caldera viewed restaurants! Support local businesses and families, have some great meals and save some money. They have good cheap house wine in these places. Most restaurants with the good views don’t even have ‘House Wines’!

• Cruise

NIKI: TOP OF THE HILL WITHOUT THE (BIG) BILL

by DAO Updated Sep 24, 2010

This place is pretty special. Niki has extraordinary views over the Caldera, has wonderful food, actually fills you up with good sized portions – and does not a require a loan from a bank to pay for it. They have been here since 1965 and must be doing something right. I found their menu prices to be lees than the other Caldera view restaurants when I was scouting out a place for that last night meal. Despite their prices, their food looked fresh and they staff gave me a business card and invited me back. We went, we saw, we ordered and we ate. We ate very well! Totally impressed.

We sat on the rooftop (they have tables inside) and feasted. The starting salads were very big. Dinner was beautiful.

So why the great views without the price? Well, I didn’t order wine. I had some reasonably priced large beers. The wine was expensive, so there you go. Also they have great Caldera views, but not good views of the main part of Fira. All in all I would recommend Niki highly. You do get the dinning experience and the food without simply paying for the location.

Well done Niki!

Favorite Dish:
    I had a special salad (pictured) and swordfish. Surprisingly the swordfish was one of the cheapest dishes, but it was great. Please note – the Tuna salad has a mustard-based dressing rather than mayonnaise. I washed it all down with some cold beers. Other dishes enjoyed by my party were spaghetti carbonara, mushrooms with halloumi cheese, and a chicken dish. We all but licked the plates clean.

• Luxury Travel

ACROPOLIS: THEY PROMISED IT WOULD BE GOOD

by DAO Updated Sep 21, 2010

My first night in Santorini I was exhausted and wanted a good place to eat that was within my budget. As I walked past the Acropolis Restaurant I first noticed a sign with a meal & a beer deal. Then the waiter came to the entrance and promised me that the food would be good. I decided to walk around and see what else was on offer. A I walked closer to Fira Square, I noticed the prices going up rapidly. Caldera view? Forget it!

So I went back and noticed local people eating inside. A good sign! The food was well presented (see the pictures!) and tasted wonderful. It was as the waiter promised! Fantastic. The beer was ice cold as well. Stay away from Thira Square and eat here. They also have an outdoor terrace if you want to sit outside. Please do not be put off by the odd exterior. It is nice and spotlessly clean inside.

UPDATE SEPTEMBER 2010:
    Sadly this great restaurant has now closed.

Favorite Dish:
    I had a starter of baked Feta Cheese (Pictured), which contained tomato and green peppers. Yum. This was followed by a fantastic Gyro (also pictured) served with an ice cold beer in a frosted beer glass. Wow! Then I was given an Ouzo to finish off my meal!

FRIENDLY GREEK TAVERNA - KOUTOUKI: NICE PRICE

by DAO Updated Sep 20, 2010

Looking for a quiet romantic meal at reasonable prices, great service and out of the wind? This is the place! They offer a full menu, seating outside in a tree covered garden and will happily throw some more tables together for larger groups. Food and drink prices are much cheaper than ones with Caldera views. It also sits below the road so you do not get swept away by the wind or need a jacket. Its is also a great place just to meet for dinks. The staff are fantastic and they have the best waiter in Greece – it’s official.

Enjoy!

UPDATE SEPTEMBER 2010:
    Sadly this great restaurant has now closed.

Instant Answers: Santorini Island

Comments

View all Santorini Island hotels