Imerovigli, Santorini Island

by Helga67
    Easter Lunch
    by Yogues
  • Astraeus's Profile Photo

La Maison: Quite simply unbelievable. The best.

by Astraeus Written Jun 5, 2012

WE VISITED La Maison on an evening trip to Imerovigli during a week-long stay on Santorini in June, sitting down to eat at 7.40pm. Despite toying with the idea of having the salmon, I opted for a Tandoori Chicken Souvlaki whilst my partner ate a Moussaka - these had by now become the signature dishes of our holiday! And, of course, we started with pitta bread and tzatziki between us.

I don't know what to say. I knew this place was going to be something special when we were seated with probably the best view in the house. The waiters were incredible. They were conversational, polite, incredibly well-versed in English and acted in a manner usually reserved for the very finest dining establishments in the UK. They didn't turn their backs on you until they had left the table and, important in my eyes, they were the only waiters all week to hand my girlfriend the menu before me - they did the same when pouring water and serving the food.

The plaudits did not end with the waiting staff. The location, perched high atop a 300 metre cliff overlooking the caldera, and with a view over Imerovigli towards the sun setting in the West, speaks for itself. It was quite simply magnificent. That we spent so long in this restaurant was testament in part to the breathtaking views it affords you.

And the food. The food was sublime. I could easily exhaust superlatives when describing La Maison as every aspect of the meal was simply perfect. Everything was done just as it should be to make the occasion special and the waiting staff were the first all week where I actually felt compelled to tip above and beyond that which is already included in the prices.

The Tandoori Chicken Souvlaki was as good as any meal I've ever eaten anywhere. It was so subtly spiced with the tandoori flavours and the chicken was so delicate, so moist and brilliantly tender. I found myself wishing Indian restaurants at home would be as relaxed with the spicing of the tandoori meals they prepare as this, though by no means bland, was not overly spiced. For once, there wasn't a chip in sight. The souvlaki came with wild rice and I was overjoyed. No more stodge, no more feeling too full. The amount of food was ideal and I ended the meal feeling like I couldn't eat any more but without feeling bloated in the slightest. This meal was the stuff dreams were made of.

My girlfriend's moussaka went down just as well. She, and indeed I, had found many of the moussakas to be tinged by the overcooking of the eggplant. Not so here. They had cooked it wonderfully and it retained all the flavours that make it a welcome addition to such a dish. Coupled with supremely tender mince, it was a real joy to eat.

We finished the meal shortly before 8.45pm and, knowing the sun was to set around the corner in 8 minutes, we asked the waiting staff if we could return for desserts. They obliged and we left to catch the beautiful, bright, burning sun set into the waters behind distant islands. In just a few minutes, the glow had dimmed and night was almost upon us. At that point, we returned to a full La Maison to be told there'd be a 15 minute wait for a table.

We sat on a wall next door and, after a few minutes, one of the waiters walked up to meet us and invite us in. We were both blissfully unaware that they knew we were there and it was very much appreciated that they came to fetch us. With an appetite brewed up from the walk up and down Imerovigli's pathways, we dived in to a "Lava" Chocolate and Apple Tart. The apple tart, designated on the menu as being for two people, was more than enough to satisfy my hunger. It was delicious. There was such a rich apple flavour coming through with a punch from the cinammon powder that decorated the plate. The soft vanilla ice cream atop the tart melted slowly into the tart, adding a refreshing coolness to the dish.

The Lava Chocolate was sheer indulgence. Ice cream contained in a chocolate dish, a very rich, sumptuous chocolate brownie and chocolate sauce made it a chocolate-lover's dream. Fortunately, my girlfriend is a chocolate lover. We shared each dessert and both of us were left speechless by how perfect everything seemed.

Having finished the dessert, and after a short period of sitting and taking in the now-moonlit setting, we were brought some dessert wine. It too was absolutely sublime and, after asking the waiter at the end, I learned that Vinsanto, the wine which we were served, was a product of Santo Wines near Pyrgos. A shopping trip the following day meant there is now a bottle of Vinsanto sitting beside me as I write. The stuff is delicious.

Afterwards, I was to utter something to my girlfriend and she nodded in affirmation - that was the best meal I had ever eaten.

The view from La Maison

• Helga67's Profile Photo

Cafe Spiliotica: Great for chilling out

by Helga67 Updated Jun 4, 2008

The cafe belongs to an hotel but is free accessible from the caldera path. It has nice white chairs and enjoyable lounge music. The view is also wonderful as you are directly in front of the Skaros rock.

It is a great place to relax and enjoy your lunch or coffee and dessert.

Cafe Spiliotica

• Frappe coffee in Imerovigli!

by gmadmax Updated Apr 1, 2003

Drinking my favorite cold coffee in the only cafe shop i found in Imerovigli! The prices are very cheap for the place and the view is amazing!!!

Instant Answers: Santorini Island

Comments

View all Santorini Island hotels