Places to eat in Santorini Island

Most Viewed Restaurants in Santorini Island

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

Greek salad

by SirRichard Written Dec 12, 2003

Greek Salad is the star of starters in most Greek restaurants... at least in the touristic ones. There are many variations on this delicious salad, but most include:
    - Feta (greek oat cheese)
    - Black Olives
    - Marjoram
    - Tomato
    - Green pepper stripes
    - Olive Oil
    - Onion

Some may add lettuce... too.

Greek salad and Amstel beer
    • Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• mapakettle's Profile Photo

We found nothing outstanding on Santorini: nothing special...

by mapakettle Written Jan 20, 2005

We can not recall any meal anywhere on Santorini that was outstanding. In fact, we can't recall eating anywhere, which says volumes about the restaurants.

In our opinion, food was ordinary. We are unable to make any recommendation.

• magdaki's Profile Photo

gero - manolis: probably the best taverna on Santorini

by magdaki Written Sep 20, 2003

Traditional greek kitchen- nothing too sophisticated. This place is special, because its original. A nice break from all the crowded resataurants in Fyra and Oia, where by the way you have to spend a month's salary on one dinner for two! If not too busy, the owner will tell you jokes (in greek though! sorry guys!)

Favorite Dish: My favotite was the Santorini salad which consists of tiny tomatoes (there's not much water on the island, so they cant grow), a special goat cheese which is only made there and "kapari" an herb which grows even on walls!
    The seafood is always fresh and the really know how to cook it.
    For desert you have to have a glass of vinsanto, a very sweet red wine :-D

sunset from the edge of Megalohori

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Cats & Dogs are everywhere

by GracesTrips Written Oct 25, 2006

This was a sight to be seen! We ate at several restaurants all thoughout Santorini. And, it didn't matter where we were, the cats and dogs were about looking for handouts. One little dog sat patiently with his head resting upon his crossed paws giving those puppy dog looking eyes longing for a bit to eat. Most of the restaurants, being outdoors, makes it difficult to keep these critters out. But, I must say, the animals seemed to be well behaved, never jumping onto your lap or reaching up at the table - they waited patiently to see if you would drop something for them.

• cheekymarieh's Profile Photo

Various: Try The Local Dish

by cheekymarieh Written Apr 17, 2003

I love to eat where the locals eat. If there is no English menu so much the better (just so long as you know what the basic Greek food dishes).

Favorite Dish: My Greek friend insisted that I try Pseftokeftedes. Usually I am not a great fan of anything fried ... but I would recommend this dish. It is a mixture of onion, tomato and mint mixed with a batter like mixture. They are then deep fried and served hot. It may sound like a strange mixture but it tastes absolutely gorgeous.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Taverna Panorama, Thirassia: Great Food, Great Views :)

by johngayton Written Sep 16, 2007

This was a great choice by our wonderful organisers during Euromeet 2007 - Cheers girls!!

The rightly named "Panorama" restaurant sits at the top of the mule path leading up from the harbour here on Thirassia and the views are stunning. Even tho' there must have been 60 or so of us the service was excellent, the food spot on and the beer cold!! Well worth a visit :)

Also well worth walking up to to get that first beer in as the mules can be a bit slow - well I always say the first beer has to be deserved ;)

Favorite Dish: I think I had the swordfish souvlaki and especially considering that we were a large party It was absolutely excellent, juicy meaty chunks of fresh fish with a subtle seasoning. The array of appetizers equally good and the bread delish. Salsagirl's moussaka looked good and by all accounts all enjoyed what they had.

My Swordfish Salsagirl's Moussaka Jill (my VA)'s Panoramic View Vt'ers Tucking In
    • Beaches
    • Beer Tasting

• The Best: Fresh Food

by Chiltonnicola Written Feb 13, 2004

Resturant The Best is situated on the beach of Perivolos. Provides a wide range of foods including.. Pizza's, Local dishes and fresh sea food. Great value for money and excellent service provided by the very friendly staff. Open till late as many people take advantage of the bar so don't be surpriced if you find yoursefl up dancing on tables by the end of the night.

Favorite Dish: Any seafood dish as it is allways fresh and full of taste

• Jeannkelly's Profile Photo

Tzanakis Tavern: Megalochori Tavern

by Jeannkelly Written Sep 21, 2008

The place look decrepit from the outside, very simple and without pretentions. But, I should say it was one of the best taverns we had in Santorini.

The place is run by a family, husband does the waitering and wife stays in the kitchen. Both are very, very cordial and accommodating. We probably were even treated better as they are friends of our hotel owner.

They are open for lunch and dinner and usually have some daily specialities. They also have a grill so you can order your steak, roast beef, lam or chicken.

Usually towards the end of your meal, they will give you some sweets courtesy of the house so you can even skip ordering for your dessert.

Favorite Dish: Ask for the tomato balls, those were very good. Their fish plates are also highly recommended.

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Zafora: Super Sunset Mezes

by SabrinaSummerville Written Oct 4, 2009

We went to Zafora to watch the sunset, but stayed for the food.

A beautiful, typically Greek restarant, the largely open property clings to the clifftop in the town of Fira right beside the entrance to the cable car stop. It's rustic, with wooden fencing and cobbled floor - clean, great service, and good food at the right price.

I ordered us some cocktails and hot mezes. You could choose hot or cold but I would have to recommend the hot ones.

Plates appeared quickly, then a large platter of vegetarian starters; filo parcels stuffed with spinach and cheese, sausage-like dishes that turned out to be melted cheese sticks, pastries full of lightly spiced onion and others with vegetable. The filo parcels crumbled in our mouths and then melted. I longed for more, but reminded myself that there was a huge dinner waiting on our ship.

One disappointment was the dessert. I ordered Baklava and ice cream but it was heavy and stodgy, unlike any Baklava I have ever eaten anywhere. Two days later we had proper Baklava in Turkey and I was relieved to be able to show my Mum I wasn't day dreaming about what is usually a delicious dish.

Don't forget that one of the big things about this place is that it's recommended as the best spot to watch the sunset and so it can get crowded around that time.

Also, if you decide to sit at oone of the edge tables closest to the street you will be treated to the odour of freshly laid donkey dung as the animals walk the steep incline from the port below.

• Photography
    • Cruise

• TracyLB's Profile Photo

Senor Zorba: Great food, with a beautiful view of the sunset

by TracyLB Updated Apr 2, 2005

Although this was not a Greek Restaurant, it was a great place to enjoy great food, have a beer, watch the sunset....Plus, it was a great walk up the side of the cliff from Volcano View Villas....Totally enjoyed it!!

Sunset....

• ncoutroulis's Profile Photo

Psiaritaverna Perivolas (Perivolas Fish Taverna): beach front taverna

by ncoutroulis Written Oct 17, 2003

On the beach at Perivolas (Santorini) is this great Taverna with fresh fish. It's just a local joint with great food, adn a laid back atmosphere. Go and hang out on their beach for a few hours (chairs are 3 euros each) and then take lunch at their restaurant. A great day!

Favorite Dish: Fresh sardines, and octopus

• lisha74's Profile Photo

Roka: Where the locals go

by lisha74 Updated Jul 7, 2009

Roka, if you can find it, will be one of the best meals you have in Santorini. It is located in Oia, but not on the main tourist path along the caldera. Our hotel manager recommended we try Roka's for authentic Greek cuisine, assuring us it is where the locals go. Sure enough, after making our way through Oia's back alleys, we came across this completely charming restaurant with beautiful patio seating, and were treated to a delicious meal. Even better, it was by far our least expensive meal on the island!

Favorite Dish: I tried bekri meze - beef sauteed in red wine and herbs. Delicious!

• SurfaceTravel's Profile Photo

1800 Restaurant: One of the best meals ever, in the best setting

by SurfaceTravel Written Sep 13, 2006

We were staying in Oia and kept walking by this restaurant, so decided to try it out. We were lead to the roof garden, which has amazing views of the caldera and the sea. The rooftop was candle-lit after dusk, the service excellent, and the food fantastic.

We hadn't had much luck with Greek wine so far, but the waiter insisted that we try again, and suggested a local red (I'm sorry, but I completely forget what it was). It was great! We went through two bottles that night, a rare event for us.

The food, the setting, the views, the service, the wine - it was one of the best meals we have ever had.

• Wine Tasting

• marybellone's Profile Photo

Dimitri's Taverna: Dimitri's is Great

by marybellone Written Jan 1, 2006

Dimitri's Taverna is a great place to go on this area. It is located on the cliffs overlooking Vlichada marina. Dimitri will help you get cars and scooters and feed you while you wait. When our group ate there he frequently came to our talbe to make sure we were ok!
    The wine was delicious but be careful if you have to climb back down the cliffs to the marina. It's pretty steep when you've had wine!

It's also night because you sit outside at the top of the cliffs and overlook the marina!

• lisha74's Profile Photo

Dmitri's: Fresh seafood in Ammoudi

by lisha74 Updated Jul 7, 2009

Some of the fresh fish was a little pricey, but the smaller items were reasonably priced and very good. Price range completely depends on what you order. I really wanted to try the lobster pasta, but in the end settled for the small fried fish and was very happy with the meal. Also a great atmosphere, eating right along the water.

Santorini Island Hotels

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Hotel Porto Fira
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Santorini Island

Comments

Santorini Island Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Santorini Island locals.
Map of Santorini Island