Hiking, Santorini Island

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

HIke from Thira to Oia

by Agraichen Updated Mar 18, 2014

The easiest method of travel between the two villages is the bus, but hiking between the two is a magical experience. You can hike the 6+ miles easily and get some great photos as well as meet the local people along the way.

• yagapova's Profile Photo

Hiking, beach

by yagapova Written May 22, 2011

I was recommended by my Greek friends to stay in Fira,small town in Santorini island. I don't understand why. Fira is a very small town with tiny central street. There are a few restaurants, very touristic shopes and not much else. You need ,to geT a bus anyway to get around the island, why stay in Fira? If I did it again I would deffinitely stay on a beach,like Kamari or Perivolos. And ,then if I wanted to go Fira,I would take a bus.
    Santorini is definitely very beautiful, but be aware of Greek nature. I.ts dessert like with almost no greenery. You will do a lot of hiking if you want to see sites,which are volcano crater, some ancient cities like Oia. It gets very hot during the day and cold at night.
    Night life is definitely overrated. Yes, they do stay open until morning, but unless you are in your early twenties and looking for some action specifically on a Greek island, I can't imagine going drinking until sunrise after all day of hiking.
    My opinion Santorini is perfect for beach vacation but if you don't mind cold sea. It gets warmer during June and August, but those months are very crowded.
    Food is exe lent, very inexpensive. Dinner for 2 with a bottle of local wine less than 30$,and it's plentiful.
    Be sure to go to small taverns on a beach. It's beautiful, it's traditional. Stay away from Americanized bars where food is not great and expensive, unless you are looking for a scene.
    Don't expect great friendliness with locals. They are polite but Nothing more than that. It's not Italy where people are chatty and warmhearted.
    Will I come here again,probably not. I keep returning to Italy,but I don't think I will return to Greece. It's ok to experience it once. But again, it's just my opinion.

• Water Sports
    • Beaches

Hike to the Monastery

by 88Starflite Written Oct 20, 2010

Either climb from Kamari or from Pressia. I will point out that the last the last few hundred feet are very steep and that I chose to turn around as any slip come result in falling to your death. Most of the trail is very hard climbing and you must be careful not to knock any rocks down the mtn.

Hike From Fira To Ioa

by 88Starflite Written Sep 26, 2009

Ramdon pics taken along the trail.

Try to do so with someone who knows the way as it will make the hike more enjoyable. Also do not try it if you are not in good shape, I was use to some hiking and I still felt I pushed myself too hard. I could see problems if your not in good enough shape and end up over working your body.

Take A Hike

by 88Starflite Written Sep 21, 2008

Trail To Pressia

My friend Elias, from Arion Bay Hotel, suggested that I hike from Kamari to Pressia so I did. If you do this make sure you start early before it gets to hot, bring lots of water or a energy drink and maybe eat a banana first as this will help your mussles. Anyway you will really enjoy the views and you can always take the water taxi back. BTW, the gap that you claim, between the mtns, is a fault line! You can see how the mtn. is pulling apart. Oh, stop by Ancient Thira, at the top!

• Mountain Climbing

• FruitLover's Profile Photo

Hiking from Fira to Oia

by FruitLover Updated Jun 15, 2007

Hiking from Fira to Oia (11K) for the sunset and dinner is M-U-S-T.
    It's not easy but well worth the effort. Take it easy, 3 - 4 hours, and enjoy the views,
    the S-I-L-E-N-C-E, the pure air.
    Relax from time to time with deep breaths.

Hike Akrotiri

by 88Starflite Updated Jun 2, 2010

Get a different view of Santorini, trust me this area of Santorini is very nice, one of the nicest views of the volcano and the Caldera.

Instant Answers: Santorini Island

Comments

View all Santorini Island hotels