Kos Island Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Kos Island

• SLK's Profile Photo

Mosquitoes

by SLK Updated Sep 4, 2007

Argh! Never had problems with these before but got bit several times and several looked nasty on my legs and body. I noticed two sorts of flying monsters, the big obvious looking mosquitoes and some smaller fuzzy looking ones.
    The little fuzzy ones seemed to love our bathroom and that little drain they have in the shower floor, after locating where they were coming from I placed toilet paper over the hole. Keep swatting anything that flys! I think this made the biggest difference to not getting bit.

I have since been recommened to use DEET available from most UK chemists Boots/Superdrug. I didn't see any in Greek pharmacies.
    The Greek supermarkets and pharmacies sell citronella/eucalyptus spray oils. I went through two bottles in two weeks, spraying myself, the beds, the curtains! (Pharmacies seem to sell a stronger version).

Good luck.

• Miesque's Profile Photo

Road conditions

by Miesque Written Sep 18, 2004

Take care if you follow the road past Ag Fokas - it terminates in a dead end after about 3 of the most dangerous miles I've ever endured. Narrow road, poor surface with potholes and a noticeable camber, steep drop over both sides of the road and a strong gusting wind. We were on a moped & it was terrifying.

• Kos, the darker side

by giddygirl Written Jun 24, 2004

I completely agree with Micacka's tip. I have just returned home early from my job in Kardamena, Kos due to a horrible experience in where I too had a lucky escape. I was held at knife point in my own apartment after letting my guard down. DONT DO IT!!! Girls NEVER walk alone at night and never open your door without knowing who's there. Kos is a beautiful island and I don't want to scare people away from it as it has alot to offer, just be careful.

• Work Abroad
    • School Holidays

• Greek men

by macicka Written May 12, 2003

This is that sunrise:)

If you are a girl, it's better not to be alone outside during the night.
    Even if Greek men are not so bothering you should be careful.
    I wanted to take a picture of a sunrise and I almost got a bad experience. But fortunately I can run very fast and i never give up when I have to escape.

Instant Answers: Kos Island

Comments

Kos Island Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Kos Island warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kos Island sightseeing.