Rhodes (Island) Tourist Traps

• One of the many  planes which will fly over you.
    One of the many planes which will fly...
    by kat-m
    Municipal Market
    by gale.blog.pl
    Rodos Beach
    by Maggies

Best Rated Tourist Traps in Rhodes (Island)

Epta Piges (7 Springs)

by Maggies Updated Nov 8, 2004

Seven Springs

It's supposed to be one of top Rhodes attractions but it's nothing extraordinary. This picture shows all seven springs, one right next to another.
    It's just one of many same places in the hilly forests making a nice setting for the restaurants, especially with the peacocks walking around. I wouldn't bother to go there unless I had a spare day and had absolutelly nothing to do but sleeping in the hotel room.

West coast

by Maggies Updated May 13, 2005

Rodos Beach

If you happen to stay in the western part of the island you won't be too happy seeing the beach. In Rhodes Town it's still quite wide but then it gets really narrow, dirty, shringly, empty. The water colour is beautiful (thanks to the stones) but at the same time it's quite dirty.
    The picture below shows the beach in the western part of Rhodes Town. As you see, it's totally empty... and it's the first week of August. Not nice for spending the time on the beach... even for the people who don't like the crowds. This is far from being a secluded cove and there is a busy road and big hotels right next to it. So, if you go to Rhodes, choose the east side!

• gale.blog.pl's Profile Photo

Rhodes Town Municipal Market

by gale.blog.pl Written Aug 8, 2006

Municipal Market

What is called a municipal market in Rhodes is totally different from what I saw and adored in other Greek towns. The market of Rhodes is a real tourist trap, an ugly building close to Mandraki Harbour and bus station, full of small and expensive shops offering casual tourist stuff. You can also have a snack there in one of numerous stinky bars.

Unique Suggestions: You can drop in, have a look and... leave. It's as simple as that.

Fun Alternatives: I don't really know why people spend their time and money there. Rhodes downtown is only a few minutes away...

• katza's Profile Photo

Rhodes To Lindos Taxi Rides

by katza Updated May 4, 2005

If you don't rent a car (which is, by far, the best way to see the island) and you have to get a cab to get from Rhodes or Ixia to Lindos, the driver will try to convince you that two hours is all you need in Lindos and they will offer to wait for you there so they can bring you back for the "measly" price of 80 Euro. Don't be fooled. Lindos will take more than two hours to see - and trust me, you don't want to check you watch every five minutes. A one-way drive should cost 30-35 Euros. There are also buses that run between the two towns, but I haven't been able to figure out the schedule.

Fun Alternatives: Take the bus - if you manage to find out the schedule. The ride takes just as long (approximately 80 minutes) and it only costs 7 Euros.

Also, be advised that most of the taxi drivers won't use the meter, but the fares are supposed to be fixed - for instance, a fare from Rhodes Old Town to Ixia was always 6 Euro. If you call a cab from the hotel, it costs more.

• iilovepiink's Profile Photo

Don't bother with the "Butterfly Valley"

by iilovepiink Written Aug 11, 2004

"Butterfly Valley", I read. Hmm, I thought to myself, imagining a vast meadow with flowers, tall blades of grass, and gorgeous butterflies of different colors.

Wow was I off! The place wasn't totally unfortunate but it just wasn't what I expected, at all. The "valley" was a forest really, a trail in the mountains where nocturnal butterflies rested between migrations. The butterflies were quite uninteresting while still, their beautiful orange color was hidden under folded wings. It is only a place you will want to see once. The tickets are 5 euro a person and it is in the middle of nowhere, you have to pay about 20-25 euro to get there by taxi. I would recommend a relaxing day on the beach instead.

• Adventure Travel
    • Eco-Tourism

• wyagi6's Profile Photo

Avoid organised tours!

by wyagi6 Updated Jul 15, 2004

Don't be tempted to go on any organised tour trips (especially those touted by tour organisations if you're holidaying on a package deal). Some of these are total rip-offs and for the most part they are expensive. Buy a decent guide book, hire a car and save yourself a bit of money as well as being able to see things at your own pace.

• katza's Profile Photo

Lindos Acropole

by katza Written May 4, 2005

When you first get to Lindos, you will think that the Acropolis is a long, tiresome walk and you will, probably, be tempted to get a donkey ride. Much to my surprise, it wasn't such a difficult climb and it didn't take more than 15 minutes. The advantage is that you can stop at any time, to take pictures of the breathtaking views.

• Mountain Climbing

• eladr's Profile Photo

How much time getting to Lindos?

by eladr Written Jun 9, 2003

I wanted to go to Lindos by boat.
    There are many sales man in Mandraki.
    One of them told me it will take 1 hour to reach Lindos.
    He sold me a ticket and told me to be in the port in the next day.
    Finally in the next day it took me 3(!) hours to reach Lindos.

Fun Alternatives: Make sure about the traveling time when buying the ticket.
    Also prefer to buy the ticket from a boat and not just a sales man who stands on the dock.

• wyagi6's Profile Photo

Embonas Village - not at all traditional

by wyagi6 Written Jul 15, 2004

The village of Embonas was described to us by our tour rep as an authentic Greek village where the locals often wear local dress. This may be true at the height of the holiday season, or perhaps they get a few people in costumes to wander about when an organised tour passes through but we drove there in our hire car and found the place to be completely dull. No happy freshed faced villagers in traditional costumes greeting us with cheerful smiles etc. We found it to be a sleepy one street town sweltering in the sun with absolutely nothing of interest to see.

Butterfly Valley

by Maggies Updated Jul 23, 2007

See, no picture here. Well, I haven't actually been to Butterfly Valley and I have to blame all the strawberry margharitas and baileys drunk the night before. Anyway, I stayed in the quiet and dark hotel room while my friends went for a short trip. Apparently, there were almost no butterflies in Butterfly Valley and it wasn't worth visiting at all. I decided to believe them :-)

• piglet44's Profile Photo

ferry to Symi... a long day

by piglet44 Written Jul 25, 2005

I am not sure if this is really a tourist trap. But... after I read rave reviews of Symi I really wanted to go there.We only had 4 days in Rhodes and we wasted one with the trip to symi and this is why. The ferry boat left Rhodes at 9 am (we had to take a bus from Mandraki harbor to get to it) .The trip took 2 hours so we arrived at Symi at 11am. We asked when the ferry returned and they said 2.30 from Symi and 4pm from Paramitis. We didnot really want to go to Paramitis as it was really hot so we stayed at Symi where there really was not much to do for only 3 hours.Then when the ferry left it stopped at Paramitis for about 30 minutes and everyone got off. We said "Isn't this ferry continuing to Rhodes?" and they said yes later. So we finally got back to Rhodes at 6pm,after 5and a half hours on the boat and only 2 and a half hours on the island. I don't think it was really worth it especially when the weather is so hot..
    maybe in the spring when you can walk it is better, but think twice if you don't like the heat.
    (we did not want to go and fry ourselves on the beach between 11 and 2pm)

Unique Suggestions: I would only do this trip when the summer heat is not so strong (unless frying yourself is your thing) or if you have a longer trip stay over on the island.but skip it if you are only in Rhodes for a few days

Fun Alternatives: My alternative would definitely have been to have spent that extra day walking around the old City of Rhodes ... there is plenty to see and do there.

• iilovepiink's Profile Photo

Ostrich Farm

by iilovepiink Written Aug 11, 2004

That is not a smile; its a grimace. Scary ostrich!

After seeing the "Butterfly Valley" my mom, sis , and I decided to head out to see if the ostrich farm would be any better. Our taxi driver said that he would wait for us because it would be near impossible to find one.

No one was at the entrance so we just walked in (don't worry! we paid on our way out). In the brochure the place sounded great!
    "...over 120 ostriches, foxes, a kangaroo, llama, a monkey, antelopes, dwarf goats, deer, wild boar, ponies, rabbits, ducks, parrots, partridges, ferrets, skunks, and more".
    It seems that a local farmer that decided they could make some money by opening their place to the public. The animals were in poor condition, exposed to the heat and sun. Many of the smaller ones were packed in cages. = /

• Zoo
    • Eco-Tourism

• kat-m's Profile Photo

Trianta & Ixia

by kat-m Updated Oct 18, 2006

One of the many  planes which will fly over you.

These resorts are not traditional greek villages. If you are after a Greek experience please do not even contemplate going to these places. The whole area is built up to provide classy hotels for those who get up in the morning and never leave a sunbed whether it be beach or pool side. The shops and supermarkets are expensive and false. There is also a lot of touters going around on scooters trying to coax you into the timeshare market. It was like being in Tenerife!

Unique Suggestions: If big classy hotels are your thing, then at least get off the sunbed , hire a car or take a bus and see the real Rhodes. These resorts do not do it justice.

• Luxury Travel
    • Seniors

• iansheff's Profile Photo

African women in Rhodes Town

by iansheff Written Aug 19, 2006

When walking along the side of the harbour where the day trip boats go from this year 3 women introduced themselves to us and asked where we were from then one started to tie a piece of coloured string with beads on around my wrist then said words in her native language and blew on it saying leave it on for 3 hours for luck and another did the same to my GF then asked for money. As I started to walk away the other woman took my hand and started to read it she said you have children I said no she said now you pay me I said what for and walked away. On a brighter note this year we only got asked where we were from once by the holiday club salesmen.

Unique Suggestions: If the African women speak to you just be polite say hello and carry on walking, don't stop and talk as they are so quick they have you before you realise. Same applies to the holiday club sales last year we were stopped several times this year I just said not interested and carried on walking.

Fun Alternatives: If you like walking round the harbour then head for the road where the windmills are or around the commercial harbour as we never got pestered there.

• Castles and Palaces

• ellen1's Profile Photo

Towels

by ellen1 Written Nov 2, 2006

The hotel we stayed required a 15 Euro deposit for each beach towel. I presume if we lost a towel that is what we would be charge. That is exorbitant. There are very nice beach towel with lots of designs including Rhodes themes on sale around all the hotels for 3.5-5. Euro. We bought several. They make great souvenirs and unused ones make nice gifts.

Instant Answers: Rhodes (Island)

Comments

Rhodes (Island) Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Rhodes (Island) tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Rhodes (Island) sightseeing.

View all Rhodes (Island) hotels