Symi Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Symi

• mariaschmidt's Profile Photo

The Trawler Taverna: Real fresh and tasty food

by mariaschmidt Written Oct 1, 2008

We where on a day trip from Rhodes and found this nice Taverna with real fresh Kalamari and fried potatoes (real not frozen) and fresh Greek Salad and good bread - it is not everywhere you get that from our experience so I recommend it it is somewhere in the middle you can see the name on my picture

Favorite Dish: I had Kalamari with Fries and a Greek Salad and Tzaziki it was all delicious

• mariaschmidt's Profile Photo

Maria Tavern in Symi village: Recommended as the best taverna in Symi

by mariaschmidt Written Oct 1, 2008
    Maria Taverna

We have not eaten here because it was still early for lunch but an English couple that are in holiday in Symi recommended it as the best Tavern with the best food in Symi - and it also looks beautiful

• Manos: Expensive restaurant with old fish

by bill21 Written Jul 23, 2008

The fish comes from other islands or Turkey.At least 2-4 days old of course.The prices are REALLY expensive and the food is not so great. Pick any other restaurant for the same quality but really LOWER prices.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Mythos aka Stavros': Star of TV and Sunday Supplements!

by suvanki Updated Apr 21, 2008

Afraid I've not eaten here..yet! Have felt a bit intimidated by the clientele that occupy the crowded tables outside (English Middle class, Middle aged, Home Counties couples, often Laskarina clients) They're probably very nice, but not the best environment for me as a lone diner, I prefer somewhere a bit more relaxed, and anonymous.

Stavros has an excellent reputation, for his culinary skills, and also runs cookery courses. These could be booked through Laskarina Holidays (an English company, advertised in the Sunday newspapers (not the tabloids!), which I believe has now been sold to another company) Not sure if you can book the courses independently.

This establishment is very popular, so booking or arriving early is essential.

Live musicians, traditional greek/folk occasionally.

One drawback that I could see, was that the outside diners are very close to the roadside, and although this isn't downtown Athens, its the only road in/out of the harbour!

Favorite Dish: I haven't eaten here, but the menu looked wonderful, not your usual taverna fare!

For a special meal/ occasion, this is the place to go.
    May even spot an international celeb dining here!

TV and Sunday supplement journos are usually brought to this establishment, guess they're on a freebie, so they always write a glowing report, but I'm sure it's well deserved!

Pre booking advised

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Manos Fish restaurant: Seafood and people watching!

by suvanki Updated Apr 21, 2008

Cheers from Suvanki at Manos!

On the harbourfront. Tables in or outside. Display of various freshly caught fish/ seafood.

One of the most popular / well known eateries on Symi, especially for lovers of seafood.

Visiting celebs/VIP's are often spotted here. My first visit to Symi, the Prime Minister of Greece was on a visit, and called in here.

I missed him, as I was on a day trip to Datca. However, when I went to collect my photos I'd had printed, I was wondering if I'd had too much ouzo, because in my envelope were pics of the PM! Hopefully, these prints reached their rightful owner!

Fish is quite expensive on Symi.
    Chose from the menu or display, and check the price before deciding.

Visa, Amex, Eurocard, Access accepted.

Favorite Dish: I ate Calimari and Village salad, which was very good. Washed down with a cold Mythos (A crisp greek pilsner lager). Mmmmmm!

Taverna "Zoi" aka Zoes: Family run taverna

by suvanki Updated Apr 21, 2008

Outside this taverna, you'll smell the charcoal grill before you see it. Climb the stairs to the rooftop eating area. Get here early or book tho' because it can get busy.

Nice friendly atmosphere, Greek background music adds to the atmosphere, doesn't drown conversation.

Zoe makes you feel welcome, but not in an obtrusive way.

I ate here by myself, but still felt comfortable and relaxed, despite most diners being in large parties, or in couples.

Favorite Dish: Had village salad, and a lamb casserole dish. 1/2 carafe of house wine. All very pleasant.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Giorgios Taverna: Lift the lids and chose!

by suvanki Updated Apr 21, 2008

A popular taverna, can get quite busy. Tables inside and out.

One of the original tavernas in Chorio, which probably adds to the pleasant atmosphere.

This is one taverna where you're invited into the kitchen to inspect the array of hot and cold dishes. As each pot lid is lifted it becomes more difficult to chose!

I've eaten here a couple of times, the last time there was a large party in, at the next table to me, and I'm afraid they got served long before me, then my order was "forgotten"

Luckily I had a good book with me!

Favorite Dish: Any of the meat casseroles that I've tried have been very tasty, with herb flavourings, and fresh crusty bread.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Hellenikon coffee salad and mezzes bar: Does more than it says on the tin!!

by suvanki Updated Apr 21, 2008

Hellenikon coffee salad and mezzes bar

After nearly 2 weeks of eating pleasant enough, but nothing special food at the local tavernas, I was ready for something different.

I'd been to this establishment on my first visit, and had thoroughly enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and excellent food, again I wasn't disappointed, in fact it was even better!!

Nikos the chef/ winemaster/ owner, really knows his stuff, and is happy to recommend food and wine, without being pushy. He'll tell you all about the ingredients and cooking processes.

A great position for people watching, oh and the paper table mats are quite attractive too!!

Favorite Dish: Mmmm drooling at the memory..

My starter -

Baked goats cheese with cream and blackberries...divine!

Main Course-

lamb in orange and spice sauce..double yummy!

Cooked to perfection, the meat was so tender, and the orange and spice sauce was subtle enough not to bury the taste of the meat, but complemented it perfectly.

Dessert-

Creme caramel.....bliss! one of my favourite puds, but this was the best ever!!!!

Had a glass of wine, selected by Nikos, can't remember what, but again it was of a far better quality than I'd been drinking elsewhere. (nothing wrong with the other wines, this was just noticibly superior)

Was also given a freebie desert wine from Lymos....I don't usually like sweet wines, but this was yummy!!

Just wish I could have afforded to eat here every night, but I was on a bit of a budget.

Well worth a visit!!

• Wine Tasting

• Goryrory's Profile Photo

"Piazza": Real GREEK!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Goryrory Written Jul 10, 2007

Centre of town, Pastida, Rodos.
    Ambience, At first a liitle threatening with the local Greek lads hanging about the front of the restaurant. But far out weighed by the owners service. A tour of the kitchens and food, introduced to his chef/dad?
    IT WAS JUST GREEK, OK!

Favorite Dish: Giant white beans, roasted potatoes. The bread at the start of our meal. Cooked to perfection
    The best Greek salad we had in 2007. OH! by the way, the Mythos was ok to. If you are in Pastida, Rodos, give this guy a chance , he's struggling a bit. You will enjoy your meal lv P

• Hans_MUC's Profile Photo

MYTHOS by Stavros: One of the best cooks in Greece!!! In symi! True!

by Hans_MUC Written Jun 29, 2006

Stavros creates something one can call FUSION FOOD,. a impresing mixture of greek kitchen and international cuisine art! That´s why he is famous and already big magazines reported about his place!
    Full every day, Stavros only has a small number of tables on the street... nobody would expect such a great cook having a place where one could think it´s a fast food place (not from decoration, but from location!)

GO THERE!!!!
    There is a "menue" - ask Stavros for it...

Favorite Dish: the menue... fantastic!

• Hans_MUC's Profile Photo

Manos Vapotaverna(fish Tavern): Fish specials and turkish(!!) Partynights!

by Hans_MUC Written Jun 29, 2006

Manos owns the Taverna with the best fish on the island, and many people come from far away to taste his plates! Don´t worry about high prices. Fusj IS expensive in the Med, however it is important to have it prepared fine (and not only let it burn black on a charcoal grill, as in usualy Tavernas!)

In the evenings, often (rich) turkish people come over and tey party sometimes half the night...

Favorite Dish: Shrimp Saganaki and Mussel saganaki! It´s DELICIOUS!!!

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

Georgios: Come into my Kitchen...

by sandysmith Updated Jun 11, 2005

Georgios collage!

With only 2 nights on Symi we decided on eating once in Yialos and once in Chorio and apparently Georgios is the place to try. A popular taverna with outside seating - first of alll you are requested to come in to the kitchen where the chef lits the lids on the pots and pans so you can see what you would like!

Favorite Dish: So much choice but we decided on stuffed corgettes and aubergines - delicious - followed by chicken stuffed with pine nuts and gorgously flavoured rice and beef metaxa (tenderr beef in brandy sauce) for me - three big chunky slices of it too! We were given the wrong billl at the end but it was soon sorted out - it was really busy but the waiters worked so hard to keep up with everyones requests. Meals were just over 30 euros with drinks.

please expand picture for detail

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

Neraida: Great Greek Cusine

by sandysmith Updated Jun 7, 2005

greek mezze starters

I past this place on the way to our apartments at the Opera House - well in fact i actually tripped in a big divot on the concete just outside and went flying on my hands and knees. :-(

The waiter here was so helpful in picking me up and sitting me on a chair with ice packs for my knees until I had recovered sufficiently from the shock and dizzinesss. The menu looked really tasty here and very reasonable so it became an obvious choice for our first evening meal here.

Favorite Dish: We stated off with a few starters - mixed beans, fried courgettes and aubergines and of course a favourite Tatziki. That was delicious enough to start with but so was the main course of tender lamb and pasta. All good home greek cooking, tasty and quite filling with the geneous portions.
    With drinks and two courses for two it came to a very reasonable 25 euros. A free desert was offered at the end too. Became quie popular in the evening so we weren't the only ones who enjoyed the food and service here.

Syllogos: Original Symi Taverna

by suvanki Written Dec 8, 2004

Syllogos Taverna, Chorio, Symi

Syllogos is one of the original Symi tavernas, located in Chorio at the top of the Kali Strata.
    Run by Lefteris and Lemonia, a friendly couple, who are happy to welcome you to their taverna, help you decide what to eat/drink, and show you the kitchen if you want to see what dishes are on offer.
    Eat inside, or out, with views over the Pedi Valley

• Maggies's Profile Photo

Any: In the shadow

by Maggies Updated Nov 1, 2004

There are few cafes and restaurants along Kali Strata, some are set together right next to village square. They give you some shadow, something to eat or drink and great views. Even if just for a glass of water, these are very nice places to sit in and take some rest.
    Also, they are not overcrowded as genarally not that many tourist go all the way up the Kali Strata.

Instant Answers: Symi

Comments

Symi Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Symi restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Symi sightseeing.