Symi Restaurants

• Maggies's Profile Photo

Thalos: What a wonderful world

by Maggies Updated Nov 1, 2004

Having lunch at Thalos

Having a lunch in Thalos is a must while on Symi. The greek specialties they serve are delicious and not too expensive. The ones you shouldn't miss are: greek salad, tzatziki and bread with fresh olive oil, mmmm. The tables outside are standing just by the water so the breeze is cooling you in a hot summer day. Its atmosphere is soo relaxing, you just feel like you could sit here forever.

Hotel Nireus: Frappés By The Water

by steventilly Updated Oct 26, 2003
    Waterside Tables At The Nireus

The Nireus is one of the top hotels of Symi, in fact maybe it's the best. It has a canopied eating and drinking area set back from the water, and it has some tables that are right by the waters edge - you couldn't get closer. It amazed us how many people chose to sit away from the water. I suspected that the prices for a waterside table at this swanky hotel were quite expensive. I was in for a pleasant surprise...

Favorite Dish: We only stopped here for Coffee & Cake - well, to be more precise, Frappé & Cake, and we stopped here more than just once!
    The Greek Islands claim to be "the home of the Frappé" and who am I to argue. It's served everywhere, and the ones at The Nireus were possibly the best. Susan had a Bailey's Frappé, I had it plain, without the alcohol.
    The cakes were delicious too - we had walnut cake (rich with honey syrup, of course) and katafia.

Hellenikon: Harbourside Location

Hellenikon Placemat

A nice place in the row of restaurants, cafes and bars that run just past the end of the harbour, towards the busy centre of this little town. The tables are all out front, under a leafy canopy - this is common in these parts, and I have no idea what kind of tree or vine that it is that they train to provide these canopies.

Favorite Dish: The food was excellent, as was the service, but once again, I cannot remember what it was, other than that it was pasta. I think on Symi I was just too busy enjoying myself (and my food) to make notes about what I ate at each meal ;-)

Bella Napoli: Finest Italian Food

by steventilly Written Oct 22, 2003
    Starter at Bella Napoli

Great Italian food, served outdoors down a sidestreet in the Yialos part of Symi. The restaurant has a wood fired pizza over, and you can actually watch them making and firing the pizzas if you're in the right seat.

Favorite Dish: We started with a salad of rocket (ruccola), tomatoes and parmesan to share and then we both had different Pasta dishes. Oh how I wish I could remember what they were! Usually I take a picture, but this time the waitress took a picture of US, which is kinda no good when you try to remember what meal you had!

• steventilly's Profile Photo

Don't Know, But It Was Next Door To "The Club": How Many Times Can You Have Yoghurt In One Day...?

Yoghurt, Honey & Walnuts, Symi

When I was in Rhodes (& Symi) I fell in love with "Greek Yoghurt & Honey". It's not like I haven't had Greek Yoghurt before, nor had it with honey... but over there it was somehow "nicer". The yoghurt is thicker & creamier; the honey is more flavoursome & fragrant; the weather is warmer; the views are better.
    So anyway, this one day on Symi I happened to have Yoghurt & Honey at every meal, and in this one place I had only that, for my lunch, even though it was from the "breakfast" section of the menu. And it was sublime!

Favorite Dish: Yoghurt, Honey & Walnuts

To Klima: Great Food, Great Views

Sue Outside

To Klima gave us one of the best meals we've ever had. The menu was quite extensive and imaginative, though many of the things we asked for were not on at that time because they are "seasonal" and we were out of season. However, the dishes that we did eventually have were superb, and the service was very friendly and efficient. You can sit outside with views down to the waterfront, or inside if you prefer.
    (To Klima is only open in the evenings, from 5:30 for drinks and from 7:30 for food)

Favorite Dish: Haha, we had a bit of bother here. Almost every dish we asked for was off the menu, not just for that day, but for the forseeable future, because the ingedients were not available anymore.
    Good Greek restaurants rely heavily on fresh ingredients, and getting fresh ingredients all year long is a problem, not like at home. Figs & Strawberries were both unavailable "you can't get them in October"... Well, Tesco at home still has them both in stock...
    We eventually found some dishes that were "on" and had one of the best meals I've had. Susan was not too fond of the Skodalia (cold potato puree with garlic). This was part of our Mezze starter, along with "Giant Beans", a real favourite of mine.
    For mains we had... something! Have to ask Sue!
    Our meal (a Mezze for two and then a main course each, soft drinks and no desert) was 34 euro in total.

• miman's Profile Photo

Meraklis Taverna: Meraklis Taverna Symi

by miman Written Aug 17, 2006

Meat (dont miss out on the Lamb!) and Meat and fish dishes, with famous lemon potatoes cooked in olive oil, various vegetarian food, Meze menu.

Instant Answers: Symi

Comments

Symi Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Symi restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Symi sightseeing.