Symi Restaurants

• Restaurants
    by miman

Best Rated Restaurants in Symi

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Hellenikon coffee salad and mezzes bar: Does more than it says on the tin!!

by suvanki Updated Apr 21, 2008

Hellenikon coffee salad and mezzes bar

After nearly 2 weeks of eating pleasant enough, but nothing special food at the local tavernas, I was ready for something different.

I'd been to this establishment on my first visit, and had thoroughly enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and excellent food, again I wasn't disappointed, in fact it was even better!!

Nikos the chef/ winemaster/ owner, really knows his stuff, and is happy to recommend food and wine, without being pushy. He'll tell you all about the ingredients and cooking processes.

A great position for people watching, oh and the paper table mats are quite attractive too!!

Favorite Dish: Mmmm drooling at the memory..

My starter -

Baked goats cheese with cream and blackberries...divine!

Main Course-

lamb in orange and spice sauce..double yummy!

Cooked to perfection, the meat was so tender, and the orange and spice sauce was subtle enough not to bury the taste of the meat, but complemented it perfectly.

Dessert-

Creme caramel.....bliss! one of my favourite puds, but this was the best ever!!!!

Had a glass of wine, selected by Nikos, can't remember what, but again it was of a far better quality than I'd been drinking elsewhere. (nothing wrong with the other wines, this was just noticibly superior)

Was also given a freebie desert wine from Lymos....I don't usually like sweet wines, but this was yummy!!

Just wish I could have afforded to eat here every night, but I was on a bit of a budget.

Well worth a visit!!

• Wine Tasting

Taverna "Zoi" aka Zoes: Family run taverna

by suvanki Updated Apr 21, 2008

Outside this taverna, you'll smell the charcoal grill before you see it. Climb the stairs to the rooftop eating area. Get here early or book tho' because it can get busy.

Nice friendly atmosphere, Greek background music adds to the atmosphere, doesn't drown conversation.

Zoe makes you feel welcome, but not in an obtrusive way.

I ate here by myself, but still felt comfortable and relaxed, despite most diners being in large parties, or in couples.

Favorite Dish: Had village salad, and a lamb casserole dish. 1/2 carafe of house wine. All very pleasant.

• Maggies's Profile Photo

Thalos: What a wonderful world

by Maggies Updated Nov 1, 2004

Having lunch at Thalos

Having a lunch in Thalos is a must while on Symi. The greek specialties they serve are delicious and not too expensive. The ones you shouldn't miss are: greek salad, tzatziki and bread with fresh olive oil, mmmm. The tables outside are standing just by the water so the breeze is cooling you in a hot summer day. Its atmosphere is soo relaxing, you just feel like you could sit here forever.

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

Neraida: Great Greek Cusine

by sandysmith Updated Jun 7, 2005

greek mezze starters

I past this place on the way to our apartments at the Opera House - well in fact i actually tripped in a big divot on the concete just outside and went flying on my hands and knees. :-(

The waiter here was so helpful in picking me up and sitting me on a chair with ice packs for my knees until I had recovered sufficiently from the shock and dizzinesss. The menu looked really tasty here and very reasonable so it became an obvious choice for our first evening meal here.

Favorite Dish: We stated off with a few starters - mixed beans, fried courgettes and aubergines and of course a favourite Tatziki. That was delicious enough to start with but so was the main course of tender lamb and pasta. All good home greek cooking, tasty and quite filling with the geneous portions.
    With drinks and two courses for two it came to a very reasonable 25 euros. A free desert was offered at the end too. Became quie popular in the evening so we weren't the only ones who enjoyed the food and service here.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Manos Fish restaurant: Seafood and people watching!

by suvanki Updated Apr 21, 2008

Cheers from Suvanki at Manos!

On the harbourfront. Tables in or outside. Display of various freshly caught fish/ seafood.

One of the most popular / well known eateries on Symi, especially for lovers of seafood.

Visiting celebs/VIP's are often spotted here. My first visit to Symi, the Prime Minister of Greece was on a visit, and called in here.

I missed him, as I was on a day trip to Datca. However, when I went to collect my photos I'd had printed, I was wondering if I'd had too much ouzo, because in my envelope were pics of the PM! Hopefully, these prints reached their rightful owner!

Fish is quite expensive on Symi.
    Chose from the menu or display, and check the price before deciding.

Visa, Amex, Eurocard, Access accepted.

Favorite Dish: I ate Calimari and Village salad, which was very good. Washed down with a cold Mythos (A crisp greek pilsner lager). Mmmmmm!

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Giorgios Taverna: Lift the lids and chose!

by suvanki Updated Apr 21, 2008

A popular taverna, can get quite busy. Tables inside and out.

One of the original tavernas in Chorio, which probably adds to the pleasant atmosphere.

This is one taverna where you're invited into the kitchen to inspect the array of hot and cold dishes. As each pot lid is lifted it becomes more difficult to chose!

I've eaten here a couple of times, the last time there was a large party in, at the next table to me, and I'm afraid they got served long before me, then my order was "forgotten"

Luckily I had a good book with me!

Favorite Dish: Any of the meat casseroles that I've tried have been very tasty, with herb flavourings, and fresh crusty bread.

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

Georgios: Come into my Kitchen...

by sandysmith Updated Jun 11, 2005

Georgios collage!

With only 2 nights on Symi we decided on eating once in Yialos and once in Chorio and apparently Georgios is the place to try. A popular taverna with outside seating - first of alll you are requested to come in to the kitchen where the chef lits the lids on the pots and pans so you can see what you would like!

Favorite Dish: So much choice but we decided on stuffed corgettes and aubergines - delicious - followed by chicken stuffed with pine nuts and gorgously flavoured rice and beef metaxa (tenderr beef in brandy sauce) for me - three big chunky slices of it too! We were given the wrong billl at the end but it was soon sorted out - it was really busy but the waiters worked so hard to keep up with everyones requests. Meals were just over 30 euros with drinks.

please expand picture for detail

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Mythos aka Stavros': Star of TV and Sunday Supplements!

by suvanki Updated Apr 21, 2008

Afraid I've not eaten here..yet! Have felt a bit intimidated by the clientele that occupy the crowded tables outside (English Middle class, Middle aged, Home Counties couples, often Laskarina clients) They're probably very nice, but not the best environment for me as a lone diner, I prefer somewhere a bit more relaxed, and anonymous.

Stavros has an excellent reputation, for his culinary skills, and also runs cookery courses. These could be booked through Laskarina Holidays (an English company, advertised in the Sunday newspapers (not the tabloids!), which I believe has now been sold to another company) Not sure if you can book the courses independently.

This establishment is very popular, so booking or arriving early is essential.

Live musicians, traditional greek/folk occasionally.

One drawback that I could see, was that the outside diners are very close to the roadside, and although this isn't downtown Athens, its the only road in/out of the harbour!

Favorite Dish: I haven't eaten here, but the menu looked wonderful, not your usual taverna fare!

For a special meal/ occasion, this is the place to go.
    May even spot an international celeb dining here!

TV and Sunday supplement journos are usually brought to this establishment, guess they're on a freebie, so they always write a glowing report, but I'm sure it's well deserved!

Pre booking advised

• Maggies's Profile Photo

Any: In the shadow

by Maggies Updated Nov 1, 2004

There are few cafes and restaurants along Kali Strata, some are set together right next to village square. They give you some shadow, something to eat or drink and great views. Even if just for a glass of water, these are very nice places to sit in and take some rest.
    Also, they are not overcrowded as genarally not that many tourist go all the way up the Kali Strata.

Syllogos: Original Symi Taverna

by suvanki Written Dec 8, 2004

Syllogos Taverna, Chorio, Symi

Syllogos is one of the original Symi tavernas, located in Chorio at the top of the Kali Strata.
    Run by Lefteris and Lemonia, a friendly couple, who are happy to welcome you to their taverna, help you decide what to eat/drink, and show you the kitchen if you want to see what dishes are on offer.
    Eat inside, or out, with views over the Pedi Valley

• steventilly's Profile Photo

Don't Know, But It Was Next Door To "The Club": How Many Times Can You Have Yoghurt In One Day...?

Yoghurt, Honey & Walnuts, Symi

When I was in Rhodes (& Symi) I fell in love with "Greek Yoghurt & Honey". It's not like I haven't had Greek Yoghurt before, nor had it with honey... but over there it was somehow "nicer". The yoghurt is thicker & creamier; the honey is more flavoursome & fragrant; the weather is warmer; the views are better.
    So anyway, this one day on Symi I happened to have Yoghurt & Honey at every meal, and in this one place I had only that, for my lunch, even though it was from the "breakfast" section of the menu. And it was sublime!

Favorite Dish: Yoghurt, Honey & Walnuts

To Klima: Great Food, Great Views

Sue Outside

To Klima gave us one of the best meals we've ever had. The menu was quite extensive and imaginative, though many of the things we asked for were not on at that time because they are "seasonal" and we were out of season. However, the dishes that we did eventually have were superb, and the service was very friendly and efficient. You can sit outside with views down to the waterfront, or inside if you prefer.
    (To Klima is only open in the evenings, from 5:30 for drinks and from 7:30 for food)

Favorite Dish: Haha, we had a bit of bother here. Almost every dish we asked for was off the menu, not just for that day, but for the forseeable future, because the ingedients were not available anymore.
    Good Greek restaurants rely heavily on fresh ingredients, and getting fresh ingredients all year long is a problem, not like at home. Figs & Strawberries were both unavailable "you can't get them in October"... Well, Tesco at home still has them both in stock...
    We eventually found some dishes that were "on" and had one of the best meals I've had. Susan was not too fond of the Skodalia (cold potato puree with garlic). This was part of our Mezze starter, along with "Giant Beans", a real favourite of mine.
    For mains we had... something! Have to ask Sue!
    Our meal (a Mezze for two and then a main course each, soft drinks and no desert) was 34 euro in total.

Hellenikon: Harbourside Location

Hellenikon Placemat

A nice place in the row of restaurants, cafes and bars that run just past the end of the harbour, towards the busy centre of this little town. The tables are all out front, under a leafy canopy - this is common in these parts, and I have no idea what kind of tree or vine that it is that they train to provide these canopies.

Favorite Dish: The food was excellent, as was the service, but once again, I cannot remember what it was, other than that it was pasta. I think on Symi I was just too busy enjoying myself (and my food) to make notes about what I ate at each meal ;-)

• Goryrory's Profile Photo

"Piazza": Real GREEK!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Goryrory Written Jul 10, 2007

Centre of town, Pastida, Rodos.
    Ambience, At first a liitle threatening with the local Greek lads hanging about the front of the restaurant. But far out weighed by the owners service. A tour of the kitchens and food, introduced to his chef/dad?
    IT WAS JUST GREEK, OK!

Favorite Dish: Giant white beans, roasted potatoes. The bread at the start of our meal. Cooked to perfection
    The best Greek salad we had in 2007. OH! by the way, the Mythos was ok to. If you are in Pastida, Rodos, give this guy a chance , he's struggling a bit. You will enjoy your meal lv P

• Hans_MUC's Profile Photo

Manos Vapotaverna(fish Tavern): Fish specials and turkish(!!) Partynights!

by Hans_MUC Written Jun 29, 2006

Manos owns the Taverna with the best fish on the island, and many people come from far away to taste his plates! Don´t worry about high prices. Fusj IS expensive in the Med, however it is important to have it prepared fine (and not only let it burn black on a charcoal grill, as in usualy Tavernas!)

In the evenings, often (rich) turkish people come over and tey party sometimes half the night...

Favorite Dish: Shrimp Saganaki and Mussel saganaki! It´s DELICIOUS!!!

Instant Answers: Symi

Comments

Symi Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Symi restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Symi sightseeing.