Rafina Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Rafina

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

by Maryimelda Written Feb 14, 2010

Agios Nicolas

This church is perched on one of the highest points in the town centre, not far north of the town square.
    The story goes that it was built afterWWII by a group of condemned prisoners whose lives were subsequently spared when thy were replaced by another group of people who were rounded up and executed as payback for the assassination of the German Commandant.
    Unfortunately, we couldn't get inside, but it was lovely to see any way.

• Photography
    • Religious Travel

Rafina - Our farewell to Greece

by littlesam1 Written Jun 22, 2007

Mark at the harbor in Rafina

Mark and I throughly enjoyed our last day in Greece. We walked the quiet streets of Rafina. We shopped for pastry. We visited a church. We ate at a seafood taverna. And we relaxed. It was a wonderful way to end our visit and rest the day before flying home.

Rafina - Fish Markets

Fresh seafood

There is no question that Rafina is a fishing village. As you walk along the harbor there are small fish markets filled with fresh seafood to see. You know when you order seafood at one of the restaurants that you are receiving todays catch because its visible at the market right next to the restaurant.

Although many times smaller, the harbor area of Rafina reminded me of the harbor in Marseilles on a much smaller scale.

Rafina - Small attractive streets

by littlesam1 Written Jun 22, 2007

I love palm trees. If there is a palm tree in sight I must take a picture of it. Rafina has several streets lined with decorative palm trees that gave the city a very pleasing appearance. I had a good time walking the quiet streets, meeting some friendly people and just relaxing taking in the atmosphere.

Rafina - Some street art for me to view

by littlesam1 Written Jun 22, 2007

If you have read any of my previous pages on Virtual Tourist you will know that I always mention statues, memorials, and street art in my tips. Finding street art is one of my favorite things to do when I travel. Although just a small city Rafina did have some street art to satisfy my curiousity.

Rafina - public beach

by littlesam1 Written Jun 22, 2007

There is a small public beach at Rafina. The hotel Avra is just a few steps from the beach. The beach was small and very clean. There were a few lone people on the beach the afternoon I arrived in Rafina.

Rafina - A doorway to the Greek Islands

by littlesam1 Written Jun 22, 2007

You don't have to go to harbor in Athens to catch a ferry to the Greek Islands. You can also come to Rafina. There are ferrys and high speed ferrys at the harbor in Rafina to take you to the islands. Rafina is the second largest port in the Athens area.

• littlesam1's Profile Photo

Rafina - its just a small fishing village

The harbor at Rafina

I was asked by many people during my trip to Greece "Why are you going to Rafina? Its just a small fishing village." That was exactly my reason to want to see Rafina. I had seen the ruins of Athens. I had been to the volcanic wonder of Santorini. I wanted to spend my last day in Greece in a out of the way place away from other tourists. I wanted a day to relax before heading to the airport and beginning my journey back to Baltimore.

Rafina is a picturesque small city on the Agean Sea. Most of the people I met spoke little or no English. There was no pretense. There was nothing fancy. I had the chance to sit down in a Greek bar and have a few drinks. I ate at a fish restaurant next to the waterfront. And I had one last day to relax. Rafina was the perfect choice.

Instant Answers: Rafina

Comments

Rafina Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Rafina things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Rafina sightseeing.