Related Guernsey Favorites Tips

Most Viewed Favorites in Guernsey

• flyer_e901's Profile Photo

Guernsey Money

by flyer_e901 Written Nov 2, 2007

Favorite thing: When paying with cash the locals accept Guernsey, Jersey, and English currencies on this island. If you plan on taking your Guernsey money with you to Jersey, not a problem. But if you take it back to England for spending, you're out of luck! Unfortunately they're not accepted there. Either change the money at a currency exchange on the Channel Islands or spend it before leaving.

• Singles

• Jasen71's Profile Photo

Allsorts Internet Cafe

by Jasen71 Updated Apr 2, 2006

Favorite thing: If in need to check your VT pages or those handy hints on VT you'll probably need to find an internet cafe. If you go up the Old Quarter and Mill Street there is such a place... The Allsorts Internet Cafe which is run by biker Pete Harrison (Greenman Pete). This cafe has skype and MSN and is very friendly and has high speed conections....

Fondest memory: Needed my VT fix.

Church and Chapel

by kaloz Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: I am Church, me. I was christened Church and I will be buried Church; and, if I'd got married, I would have been married Church. I go in the Vale Church sometimes, when there is nobody there. I like the old place. I have lived all my days to the sound of the bells of the Vale Church, coming to me on the wind over the water. When I was a boy I used to hear them playing a hymn of a Sunday Evening, and then the quick ding- dong, ding-dong, before the service began; and I would hear them practicing of a Wednesday night.

Fondest memory: I have heard them ring out merry for weddings, or toll the big bell for funerals; but, even when they ring out for joy, they are sad, the bells of the Vale; and now I am old, and when I hear them, I tremble.

Prince Albert the Good

by kaloz Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Old Wally Budden, who was ninety, if a day, and whiskers on his chin like a fringe of vraic, said, 'I say to you it is the duty of every Guernseyman with red blood in his veins to go and fight for Prince Albert the Good!' I said, 'What on earth have Prince Albert the Good got to do with it? It's George and Mary now.' He didn't know about those. He said Queen Victoria came over and only made bad worse, but when Prince Albert came with her he made it all right. I said, I don't know nothing about what happened in those days. What is the use of digging up the past? It's the present we got to live in!'

Fondest memory: He said, 'His statue is on the Albert Pier.' 'A nuisance of a statue it is too!' I said. 'The birds make their mess in his hat.' 'He'd have liked that, Prince Albert the Good,' said old Wally and started shaking his stick at me. He only wished he was a young man again so he could go and shed the last drop of his red blood for Prince Albert the Good! It's not too late, yet, Gran'-pere,' said Jim Le Poidevin. 'If the Kaiser saw you coming, he'd run!'

Bounty of the Sea

by kaloz Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: My father had crab-pots out and we had plenty of crabs; and sold some. It was the lobsters we sold most of. They are for the English, those; and the gentry. You can't trust a lobster. He's often half empty. A crawfish is always full as an egg; but then he have coarser flesh and, of course, no claws. We used to have chancre for supper of a Saturday night when we came home from Town. It was cooked on the Friday in the copper in the wash-house.

Fondest memory: Fish she (mother) was very particular about. It had to be fresh from the boat. She wouldn't cook a mackerel unless it had its tail up. I liked the long-nose better. The English are funny about the long-nose; or orfi, as we call it. They say it is poison because it got green bones. Well, I've eaten orfi all my life and I'm still alive. The fish I liked best was conger. My mother would buy the thickest part and stuff it like a fowl and bake it. It was so good you would never have thought it was fish.

• Fishing

Time with father

by kaloz Written Sep 6, 2002

Favorite thing: I used to go to work with my father some days: that is, before I was big enough to go to school. I liked going to the quarry with my father. He would sit me on the horse in the horse-box and I would go right down into the pit. When the gun sounded for dinner-time, I had to climb the ladder up the side, because the horse ate from his nose bag and didn't come up for dinner. My father would be behind me on the ladder shouting 'Va t'en fenyion! Va t'en, donc!' I wasn't afraid. I knew if I was to fall, he would catch me.

Fondest memory: The dinner-hour I'd sit in the tool-house with the men and have a sip of his tea and a bit of his dinner; then he would take me down to St Sampson's Harbour to see the ships.

Guernsey Hotels

36 Reviews - 96 Photos
Alderney Hotels
36 Reviews - 86 Photos

Instant Answers: Guernsey

Comments

Guernsey Favorites

Reviews and photos of Guernsey favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Guernsey sightseeing.
Map of Guernsey