Budapest Pubs, Budapest

Corso, Petõfi Sándor utca

Know about this? Rate It!

Colourful decor at Control Bar, Budapest
    Velkopopovicky Kozel beer at Control Bar
    Control Bar, Budapest
  • johnny63's Profile Photo

Budapest Pubs: Ruin pubs

by johnny63 Written Jan 13, 2012

I was in the Szimpla Kert, and it was really fantastic :) beautiful girls and nice people and many alcohol :D I tried a famous hungarian spirit, the palinka, is made by fruit and very very strong. the place is designed by old furniture and a Trabant car. I found this place in the old jewish quarter. The most important word is egeshegedre, it means 'cheers'!!

Dress Code: jeans, street wear

• Music

• Budapest Pubs: Jazz in Budapest

by krekaf Updated Aug 5, 2011

This place is unique in Budapest. Not just because I love the jazz and they supports high quality jazz concerts, but the atmosphere, the prices, the nice and compliant staff all assist for a pleasant night in the city. Unfortunately we didn't know the contacts of the club before we arrive to the city, so it was a luck that we found that, but they said us that everybody can check the actual events on their website (www.bjc.hu) or on facebook. (I checked it. The website is good enough, but on facebook the recommendations are only in Hungarian. Anyway, next time I'm sure that I will check the programs.

The entrance fee was a bit expensive for us (maybe 'cause we are students :) ), but finally we didn't regret becouse after the concert we suprisedly met with a free jam session till dawn. The feeling was incredible. The musicians played in turn and enjoyed each other. It was fascinating and as I know it's every weekend and free everytime.

A real jazz club feeling from New Orleans mixed with Hungarian taste!

• Music

• The Queen Victoria: Real English pub

by bluesmagoo Updated Apr 4, 2011

This very cool new place has the feel of an authentic English pub, as well as live Sky Sports and live music 4 times a week. Great CD library as well. Eclectic "pub grub" menu has everything from Thai spring rolls to pasta to Mexican tastes as well. Nice friendly spot from the guys who used to run "Nothing But The Blues" pub. Nice mix of "local" expats and Hungarian folks. Hasn't been open long enough for the tourists to find!!!

• roomania's Profile Photo

Morrison's Music Pub: Drinking and Dancing

by roomania Updated Apr 4, 2011

A great music pub, dancing and a great bar. People are incredibly friendly and a heady mix of expats and locals. 800 Ft. cover, but well worth the price and drinks are inexpensive compared to other pubs. Open daily... uh... nightly from 21:00 to 04:00.

I was introduced to this pub by a group of American students from the University of New Hampshire, celebrating after their final exams. Looking to meet ppl? Looking to dance? This is the place.

• Study Abroad
    • School Holidays

• Budapest Pubs: House of Fun

by dazlazz71 Written Feb 2, 2011

In Budapest, you will generally find an assortment of things to do, from the hot steam baths, the amazing scenery, trips down the Danube. The city is filled with culture.
    The problem is the language, which is very difficult, so I was relieved to find an English bar and restaurant called The Fun Palace situated in the Pest party area - Szt. István Krt 13 (rear)
    Budapest 1055
    It has English speaking staff, a full English menu, all the sports, the latest music and there is generally something happening each night, from karioke to comedy nights.
    They call Fun Palace the House of Fun and I have to agree!! Well worth a visit!!
    The beers are very reasonable less than £2 per pint of local beer, whereas the numerous Irish bars will tend to charge Dublin prices.

Dress Code: No real dress code, but I would advise being smart casual, as the crowd generally are.

Panic Pince: Little Dive Bar

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 15, 2009

The exterior of the place

This happen to be my favorite place for out and having a few beers while in Budapest. I had met this really nice guy on my flight down to Budapest and he invited me to come out for a drink or two with him and some of his friends. I joined him and his friends at this little dive place, which by the way served pizza as well.

We enjoyed a few beers, shared the pizza and talked about our travels. I can't recall what the address to this place is (usually I jot that info down), but I do rember that it was in the vicinty on a side street to Vaci street.

I was having such a good time that I totally forgot to take a pic of the interior, so the exterior is all I have :)

Dress Code: Its a little dive place, come as you are.

Paul's Pub: Paul's Pub

by Gypsystravels Updated Nov 18, 2008

Exterior of the pub

During my evening walk on Vaci street I came across this place. There were quite a few people inside just haning out, eating and drinking so I decided to have a quick beer and just rest for a bit. I was exhausted at this point and had a quick beer and left. They have a full menu, but I didn't even bother to check it out since I was just here for a quick drink.

Dress Code: Come as you are.

• Cafe Vig, Istvan Krt: Rip Off Bar

by JohnMGleeson Updated Aug 7, 2008

Cafe Bar Vig on Istvan Korut is a rip off joint.. Two friends and I had two rounds of drinks and when attempting to pay our bill, found that we were being overcharged 220Huf(€1) per drink than specified on the drinks Menu. Our bill was initially presented as €34 but was actually €24. After an argument, not an apology, this was adjusted. When trying to pay in Euros we were offered an exchange rate of 190Huf/€1, more than 20% less than average rates offered in other cafes and bars. One of our group got Forints from a cash point and on eventually settling our bill, we were further shocked to see the barman attempt to give us incorrect change, in his favour! Overall, three serious efforts to rip us off, each thwarted. Nice Bar & atmosphere but not worth this hassle. Rating out of 10....0.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Cactus Juice

by HORSCHECK Updated May 18, 2008

Cactus Juice

Cactus Juice is an American western style pub and restaurant. Its location in a dark vaulted cellar as well as the wooden bar and furniture create a warm western atmosphere.

Various sorts of international drinks are on offer. The menu lists a wide variety of both local and international dishes. Prices are comparably reasonable for the area.

• Trains

• Nothin' But The Blues pub: More than the Blues

by bluemago Written May 9, 2008

I found this cool little spot on budapestblues.com and had to check it out. They have live music, very nice people and quite possibly the best burger I EVER ate.... easily the best burger in the city. The new managers are from London and the US, so maybe that explains it. If you're looking for a place to hang out and listen to the best Blues, live or on CD, you need to check this place out. They even have Thai and Mexican food from time to time, something you wouldn't expect from a music pub, and better yet, it's delicious. I went on a Sunday afternoon, and a live jam was going on.. a little ragged but still a lot of fun. I'll be back on my next visit.

• Study Abroad
    • Singles

Control Bar: Underground bar near Nyugati railway station

Control Bar, Budapest

My friend and I visited Control Bar for a beer one afternoon during our visit to Budapest in January 2008.

This well-hidden, underground bar is located on Podmaniczky utca, close to Nyugati railway station in the northern part of Pest.

We didn’t know what to expect when we entered the bar, as there was no way to see inside from street level. A bright green door leads down a flight of stairs, and at the bottom we found a large bar with brightly coloured décor and no other customers.

The bright orange walls feature paintings of silhouetted figures dancing, playing pipes and beating drums. The furnishings consist of simple round tables and bright green stools. There is a large karaoke machine in one corner of the bar, and a TV (showing live international handball action at the time of our visit) in another corner. While we were there the jukebox was continuously playing Red Hot Chilli Peppers songs.

We paid 280 HUF (0.95 GBP) for bottles of Velkopopovicky Kozel beer.

A brightly coloured underground bar near Nyugati railway station.

Galeria Cafe Pub: Lively bar and cafe in downtown Pest

Galeria Cafe Pub, Budapest

My friend and I visited Galeria Café Pub one evening during a visit to Budapest in January 2008.

This bustling bar and restaurant is located on Akacfa utca in the heart of downtown Pest, and is popular with young Hungarians and tourists.

We stood in the small downstairs bar area, in a room which felt much larger as the walls were mirrored, and chatted to a group of young locals about football and Britain. Thankfully, we were not too intoxicated as we were quizzed about Hungarian footballers playing in England, so we were able to impress our new found friends by correctly identifying Zoltan Gera as being the Hungarian star currently playing for West Bromwich Albion. We fielded questions about the availability of jobs for Hungarian immigrants in the UK, as one of the lads was planning to move to Liverpool the following month.

As well as the bar area, there is another downstairs room with tables and a wooden staircase leading to an upstairs dining area.

We didn’t eat there, but you can find more details about food on the café’s website: Galeria Cafe Pub

Click on “ETLAP” in the top right hand corner to bring up an online menu with food and drink prices. It is all in Hungarian, but at the very least you’ll be able to identify salads, spaghetti dishes, chilli con carne and burgers, as well as prices for soft drinks, beers (sorok), wines (borok) and spirits.

We each had a draught Dreher brown beer (450 HUF / 1.50 GBP for 500ml), which was similar to Guinness, while listening to the loud background music.

Open until 1am Sundays to Thursdays and 3am on Fridays and Saturdays.

A popular bar and restaurant in the heart of downtown Pest!

Akacfa Sorozo: Local pub in the heart of Pest

Akacfa Sorozo, Budapest

My friend and I visited Akacfa Sorozo for a few drinks one evening during a visit to Budapest in January 2008.

This local pub is located on Dohany utca, right in the heart of downtown Pest.

We were looking to find a pub that was frequented by locals, rather than the usual tourist filled Irish/English bars, and this place fitted the bill perfectly.

The clientele was a mixture of locals of all ages, as well as seemingly being popular with Turks and other ethnic minorities. I would hazard a guess that we were the only tourists in there that evening.

There was little in the way of interior décor, and it was reminiscent of a canteen or a Working Men’s Club. A very old jukebox stood against one wall, a few fruit machines stood against another, next to a boxing punchbag game, and a football table that had seen better days (and lots of spilled pints!) stood next to the bar. We also stood next to the bar, in one of the few corners that wasn’t thick in cigarette smoke.

The drinks were cheap and a couple of local beers were available on draught. We paid 260 HUF (0.85 GBP) for 500ml of Arany Aszok and 320 HUF (just over 1 GBP) for 500ml of Dreher. We also took this opportunity to sample the infamous local Unicum liqueur (VTer Dabs has warned me against doing so!), and I can confirm that it is certainly an acquired taste! 4cl shots cost 400 HUF (1.35 GBP) each.

Naturally, there is a large selection of other spirits, vodkas, bottled beers and alcopops, as well as coffee and tea.

A local pub with local people and local beers in the heart of downtown Pest.

Longford Irish Pub: Longford Irish Pub

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 27, 2008

Exterior of the Pub

I was doing my usual stroll around the city when it started to rain a little harder than I care to be out in, so I ducked into this Irish Pub to wait out the rain and have a drink. The pub was pretty crowded as there were a few games going on.

The entrance is followed by a large staircase that takes you downstairs to the large cavernous pub. There were tables and TV's through the pub, but I decided to sit at the bar. They had a large selection of your usual pub food, drinks and all sorts of beers on tap.

Dress Code: I just ordered a few Stellas.

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

Budapest Pubs: Fat Mo's

by muratkorman Written Nov 30, 2007

If you want to enjoy live music in a friendly and relaxing atmosphere, Fat Mo's could be a good option. Jazz and blues bands take stage here usually. You can have a decent dinner as you watch the live music and after the programme you can stay as much as you like for dancing. Check out the website for the events schedule and the wide menu.

Dress Code: Casual

Instant Answers: Budapest

• Mylo28's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Srof is quite simply a wonderful little pub/bar that serves great quality food at remarkably reasonable prices. I visit Budapest fairly frequently and this is my all time favorite. Set over 3 levels this place is the antithesis of all the bars and restaurants on Ferenc terrace opposite.
    Staff are friendly and efficient, the food is always good and the prices are fantastic.
    There is a fine selection of palinka, live football shown when on and upstairs has a very funky old school Star Wars poster.
    If you are looking for somewhere to unwind and have a drink and a bite to eat then you really can't go wrong by visiting this place!