Budapest Pubs, Budapest

Corso, Petõfi Sándor utca

Know about this? Rate It!

Velkopopovicky Kozel beer at Control Bar
    Control Bar, Budapest
    Galeria Cafe Pub, Budapest

Panic Pince: Little Dive Bar

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 15, 2009

The exterior of the place

This happen to be my favorite place for out and having a few beers while in Budapest. I had met this really nice guy on my flight down to Budapest and he invited me to come out for a drink or two with him and some of his friends. I joined him and his friends at this little dive place, which by the way served pizza as well.

We enjoyed a few beers, shared the pizza and talked about our travels. I can't recall what the address to this place is (usually I jot that info down), but I do rember that it was in the vicinty on a side street to Vaci street.

I was having such a good time that I totally forgot to take a pic of the interior, so the exterior is all I have :)

Dress Code: Its a little dive place, come as you are.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Cactus Juice

by HORSCHECK Updated May 18, 2008

Cactus Juice

Cactus Juice is an American western style pub and restaurant. Its location in a dark vaulted cellar as well as the wooden bar and furniture create a warm western atmosphere.

Various sorts of international drinks are on offer. The menu lists a wide variety of both local and international dishes. Prices are comparably reasonable for the area.

• Trains

• Reetercat's Profile Photo

Old Man's Music Pub: Nothing Old-man-ish about this spot!

by Reetercat Updated Sep 5, 2006

I wanted to check every theme for this hotspot on the Pest side of the city! We started wandering around and checking out "real" old man pubs, (because that's where you get to see and meet the people of the city), and The Old Man's came highly recommended by a bouncer with a pony tail. As with most pubs in Budapest, this one is also located in an old cellar. We had no idea what we were in for!

When we arrived, people were finishing their dinners and a live band was playing. We found a little spot in the corner and reveled in the newsprint covered ceilings for a while. After a few shots of Palinka and giant glasses of beer, the dance music started. Then I discovered that there was a whole 'nother disco on the floor below us. We "people watched" the meat-market action for hours ... and it seemed that there were people from all over the world hanging out.

Old Man's is eclectic enough to please everyone. We're not huge "disco" fans, but we really enjoyed all the options that came with drinking at this fine establishment. Food, live music and dancing with festive folks from everwhere!!! I will definately go back.

Dress Code: Anything you want! It's hot down there, so you may want to wear something light under your coat!

• Study Abroad
    • Beer Tasting

Longford Irish Pub: Longford Irish Pub

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 27, 2008

Exterior of the Pub

I was doing my usual stroll around the city when it started to rain a little harder than I care to be out in, so I ducked into this Irish Pub to wait out the rain and have a drink. The pub was pretty crowded as there were a few games going on.

The entrance is followed by a large staircase that takes you downstairs to the large cavernous pub. There were tables and TV's through the pub, but I decided to sit at the bar. They had a large selection of your usual pub food, drinks and all sorts of beers on tap.

Dress Code: I just ordered a few Stellas.

• violetnon's Profile Photo

Budapest Pubs: Castro

by violetnon Written Apr 23, 2006

In Budapest, "Castro" was our favourite pub with its student crowd and cheap beer. It is almost local pub in the university region.

In our last night, we tried "palinka", traditional Hungarian drink. I can say I extremely love it! I guess it is stronger than tequila! There are different types of palinka, but you should try the grape with honey!

Dress Code: There is no dress code, however to be in comfortable / sport dress is better!

• stevehallam's Profile Photo

FOR SALE: live music and monkey nuts

by stevehallam Updated Nov 30, 2005

I'll buy one

This was a great find at 3.30am a pub with live music. It had straw on the floors and the ceilings were crowded with messages and calling cards people had stuck up. the beer was good the music was OK - a two piece guitar combo - the locals were very enthusiatic!

Dress Code: anything

• violetnon's Profile Photo

Budapest Pubs: "For Sale"

by violetnon Written Apr 23, 2006

Opposite the new market hall, there is a pub called "For Sale". We discovered it while taking night photos in the streets. We followed the music coming from the pub and then entered the pub. There was a live local music that attracted all of us and made us stop taking more photo at that night.

It is a small country-style pub that you can see local people and tourists together.

Dress Code: no special dress required

• dcwizard's Profile Photo

Fat Mo's: Live Jazz and Blues in Pest

by dcwizard Updated Feb 25, 2004

Enjoying Blues and Beer at Fat Mo's

If you're looking for a fun, laid-back, yet still hoppin' place to hear live music, Fat Mo's is a good choice. A favorite of tourists and locals alike, Fat Mo's is a typical Budapest cellar-type bar, but with good live acts (usually jazz and blues) almost every night. The bar staff is friendly, and if you have the munchies, there is a good selection on the menu. Good selection of beer on tap. You can usually find a few places at one of the bars, but if you're planning an evening there, call ahead and reserve a table.

Dress Code: Come as you are!

• Beer Tasting
    • Music
    • Singles

Paul's Pub: Paul's Pub

by Gypsystravels Updated Nov 18, 2008

Exterior of the pub

During my evening walk on Vaci street I came across this place. There were quite a few people inside just haning out, eating and drinking so I decided to have a quick beer and just rest for a bit. I was exhausted at this point and had a quick beer and left. They have a full menu, but I didn't even bother to check it out since I was just here for a quick drink.

Dress Code: Come as you are.

• american_tourister's Profile Photo

John Bull Pub: A roaring good time!

by american_tourister Written Apr 9, 2004

Pirates Ahoy!

It has a bit of a "British Manufactured" feeling, it is a good place to swill grog until the wee hours. It is the only British style pub that I ran across while I was there.

I ran into a couple of drunken English boys who could drink like fish. We hung out and drank Bitter unitl even the hookers left!

Dress Code: Shirts and shoes required, pants optional.

• kirmarsh's Profile Photo

Budapest Pubs: the For Sale pub

by kirmarsh Written Aug 28, 2006

the pub is friendly place which appears to be frequented by both locals and tourists. it has live music at weekends and is great fun. the walls are covered with notes and messages left by past visitors.

Dress Code: none

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

Old Man's Pub: Music, Food and Dance in Old Man's Pub

by muratkorman Updated Nov 30, 2007

This is a great pub for live music in Budapest. Since the concept is pub and restaurant, there are many tables available for dining around the small stage. Many good Hungarian bands take stage in this warm pub from 8 pm till 11 pm. Blues, rock and jazz from various artists both in English and Hungarian. During the live performance, you can either enjoy your meal if you have already made your reservation or stay in the bar side to watch the band. After the live music, the place turns into a disco until the early morning. Prices are reasonable and very beautiful lady bartenders add more joy to the atmosphere. Air conditioning is not enough around dance floor especially when it becomes really crowded after midnight. Both weekdays and weekends you can enjoy this place.

Dress Code: Casual

• Music

• roomania's Profile Photo

Morrison's Music Pub: Drinking and Dancing

by roomania Updated Apr 4, 2011

A great music pub, dancing and a great bar. People are incredibly friendly and a heady mix of expats and locals. 800 Ft. cover, but well worth the price and drinks are inexpensive compared to other pubs. Open daily... uh... nightly from 21:00 to 04:00.

I was introduced to this pub by a group of American students from the University of New Hampshire, celebrating after their final exams. Looking to meet ppl? Looking to dance? This is the place.

• Study Abroad
    • School Holidays

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Galeria Cafe Pub: Lively bar and cafe in downtown Pest

by SWFC_Fan Written Mar 30, 2008

Galeria Cafe Pub, Budapest

My friend and I visited Galeria Café Pub one evening during a visit to Budapest in January 2008.

This bustling bar and restaurant is located on Akacfa utca in the heart of downtown Pest, and is popular with young Hungarians and tourists.

We stood in the small downstairs bar area, in a room which felt much larger as the walls were mirrored, and chatted to a group of young locals about football and Britain. Thankfully, we were not too intoxicated as we were quizzed about Hungarian footballers playing in England, so we were able to impress our new found friends by correctly identifying Zoltan Gera as being the Hungarian star currently playing for West Bromwich Albion. We fielded questions about the availability of jobs for Hungarian immigrants in the UK, as one of the lads was planning to move to Liverpool the following month.

As well as the bar area, there is another downstairs room with tables and a wooden staircase leading to an upstairs dining area.

We didn’t eat there, but you can find more details about food on the café’s website: Galeria Cafe Pub

Click on “ETLAP” in the top right hand corner to bring up an online menu with food and drink prices. It is all in Hungarian, but at the very least you’ll be able to identify salads, spaghetti dishes, chilli con carne and burgers, as well as prices for soft drinks, beers (sorok), wines (borok) and spirits.

We each had a draught Dreher brown beer (450 HUF / 1.50 GBP for 500ml), which was similar to Guinness, while listening to the loud background music.

Open until 1am Sundays to Thursdays and 3am on Fridays and Saturdays.

A popular bar and restaurant in the heart of downtown Pest!

• Mique's Profile Photo

Budapest Pubs: Miro

by Mique Written Nov 28, 2003

Miro cafe

This is a bart Inga took as to. The interior is very Miro. And they had some really nice drinks on the menu card. So we tried several.. yes, all non alcoholic!

The bar is on Buda hill. When you enter the street opposite the Mathias church you'll see it on the rigt hand side when you come to the first crossing..

Instant Answers: Budapest

• Mylo28's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Srof is quite simply a wonderful little pub/bar that serves great quality food at remarkably reasonable prices. I visit Budapest fairly frequently and this is my all time favorite. Set over 3 levels this place is the antithesis of all the bars and restaurants on Ferenc terrace opposite.
    Staff are friendly and efficient, the food is always good and the prices are fantastic.
    There is a fine selection of palinka, live football shown when on and upstairs has a very funky old school Star Wars poster.
    If you are looking for somewhere to unwind and have a drink and a bite to eat then you really can't go wrong by visiting this place!