Budapest What to Pack

My guidebook in Hungary
    by Kuznetsov_Sergey
    My guidebook in Budapest
    by Kuznetsov_Sergey
  • All packed and Cookie thinks she is going with me
    All packed and Cookie thinks she is...
    by Gypsystravels

Most Recent What to Pack in Budapest

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

My guide book in Hungary

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written May 27, 2012

My guidebook in Hungary

Miscellaneous: Here it is my guide book that provided me details about a geographic location, tourist attractions, or most interesting itineraries in Hungary.
    Hungary. Polyglott Verlag GmbH, Munchen, 1999, 96 pages.

• german_eagle's Profile Photo

The best guide book!

by german_eagle Written May 1, 2010

Budapest guide book

Miscellaneous: I spent a lot of time with preparations for my Budapest trip. Of course I used the internet, the pages here on VT but also other travel forums, but the most helpful ressource was a guide book that I found in my State und University Library: Andras Török's "Budapest - ein kritischer Reisefüher". It must be available in English, too. Both the New York Times and The Independent had rave reviews about it.

Török, born 1954, was a dissident, later State Secretary for culture followed by his position as chairman of the foundation for Hungarian culture. His guide book gives inside information on everyday life in Budapest, he covers more off the beaten path places than the so called 'must' places. He writes with a great sense of humour, doesn't spare negative comments on current developments - but always with deep love for his city. A great read even if you don't plan to visit Budapest. The only complaint I have is that the third edition from 1999 is the only copy my library had - no idea if there's a newer one.

• Architecture

• illumina's Profile Photo

Pack for a Hungarian Winter

by illumina Written Jan 17, 2010
    No snow, but look how the fountain has frozen!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Budapest in January was absolutely FREEZING! It was the coldest place we encountered in the trip across the continent, the temperatures were consistently below zero. If you're going to be there during winter, take jumpers, a warm coat, scarf, hat, gloves, the works!

• cobrioc's Profile Photo

Packing List

by cobrioc Updated Mar 9, 2009

Luggage and bags: When packing, it's important to know the value and contents of each bag, just in case they're lost. Label them with your name, contact number and destination address in Budapest if traveling as a couple, group or family, avoid packing each person's clothes into just one bag/case. That way, even if you do lose baggage, you'll still have some fresh clothes on day two.

If you plan to take a PC notebook onto a flight, international safety regulations mean you won't be able to use it during takeoff and landing.

Photo Equipment: 35 mm film lost or damaged during developing, laboratories are only obliged to replace it with another of the same value.

Miscellaneous: Your guidebook is your best resource for finding important information such as places to stay, eat, local customs, everything you need to know about the city or country that you're in.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

A Prepared Traveller

by cjg1 Written Mar 3, 2009

Luggage and bags: We took a rollaboard since we were just visiting for an extended weekend.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: We visited in winter (February) so we knew to bring warm weather clothes and layers. We packed scarves, hats, gloves and plenty of warm sweaters.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Shampoo, conditioner, hair gel, toothbrush, toothpaste, contact lenses, contact lens solution, deodorant, lotion, glasses and brush.

Photo Equipment: Digital camera, video camera and memory card reader

• Don't forget the sun cream

by Andonya Updated Jul 14, 2008

Luggage and bags: We went to Budapest in June and we knew we would have a sunny weather, but don't forget to take sun cream as you will walk a lot under the sun. Also take some light clothes, but do take respectful clothes (not too short as people there didn't seem to wear very short clothes, though bermuda and skirts are no problem, and also you might visit some religious buildings like Mathias church where they'll have a look at your clothing).

• ophiro's Profile Photo

A lot of films or Digital card

by ophiro Updated Jul 12, 2008

view from st. stephen basilica

Photo Equipment: This city is very beautiful - so many places to see , so many things to do.
    A lot of monuments , statues , buildings , good food , green parks , The danube.

Take a lot of film or digital media if you are using digital camera.
    If you are using Digital SLR to to take a good lens that will cover a good range - something like 28-135 or 18-200 will be very good to capture a lot.
    For Digital camera (not SLR) - an optical zoom X6 to X15 will be very good option.

If you are planning some night shots take a tripod with you - it will make your pictures better.

• Architecture

Rain every month

by ophiro Written Jul 12, 2008

Rainy weeping willow on the jewish synagogue

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: If you are visiting Budapest in the winter you MUST bring warm clothes and an umbrella !!!
    But in the summer also bring a scarf or a small jacket for the evening near the Danube and a small umbrella with you just in case it will rain - we had 2 rainy days on our trip although it was July and very hot.

A good guide and a map

by ophiro Written Jul 12, 2008

walking in andrassy street with a map and a guide

Miscellaneous: Although you will find a lot in Virtual Tourist site , i recommend that you will take a good guide book in your language and a good map.
    A map you can find in almost any hotel you stay or a tourist information stand.

In a guide book you will sometime find small anecdotes about a place or a tip about hidden attraction that you will not find in the internet.

Another thing i am doing in my trips - writing the tips i found on the internet (and VT) in a notebook and check it too.

Shoes

heroes square

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: If you are planning to walk a lot around the city you must take good and comfortable walking shoes.
    The distances here are big and you might find yourself walking a lot from sight to sight even if you will use public transportation like the metro or tram.

For example - on the first day i walked from the hotel on Kelvin square to the Jewish synagogue and from there around the Jewish quarter and to heroes square from Andrassy street - something like 10 km.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Know before you go!

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 27, 2008

Miscellaneous: I do a lot of research before I travel to any location, I am very well informed about the options for transport to and from the airport. I'm a big history buff, so I tend to read up on the history of the city I am traveling to, the local customs, the expectations the locals have on travelers. I tend to get a hold of a map and familiarize myself a bit with the streets and where my hotel is in relation to all the "important" places to visit. I will also go online with my bank to check to see if there is a branch location making my cash withdrawal easier and cheaper.

I will also make a tentative itinerary when I have only a few days, but I will not commit myself to that list. It is a way for me to narrow down the places I would like to see. This proves to be a good way to see as much as I do, but allows me to be spontaneous as well.

A few days before traveling I will also check the weather to have a better guide of my packing list.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Keep it simple and easy

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 27, 2008

All packed and Cookie thinks she is going with me

Luggage and bags: For a short visit like the one to Budapest I usually take a carry on (the one my pup is sitting on). I will also take along a great handbag, like my Coach or Gucci, which are large enough to carry my travel book, my journal, reading materials, my ipod pencil (I love writing in pencil) and any research I've done about the location.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I'm always prepared for the best and worst weather and traveling to Budapest during the winter time narrowed my clothing options. I knew I was going to do quite a bit of walking, so my MC Harley Davidson boots are my best friend for walking in colder weather and they are quite "fashionable" (no need to forsake fashion for function). I also take along a pair of my comfy medium heeled boots for night time. A few pair of jeans, a few warm sweaters, lite cotton long sleeve tops (in case the weather was warmer), my trusty umbrella, my pashmina scarf that can double as a blanket on the flight.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: I'll always pack travel size toiletries as well. I have very long hair and I am super picky with the shampoo and conditioner I use along with the type of soap I bath with, so I always carry my own. I also take a few "first aid" items as I will admit that since I do a lot of walking, there have been times where I have taken a fall (yeah, I am a bit of a klutz at times :)

Photo Equipment: My trusty digital, two memory cards, so I can take as many pictures as my little heart desires.

Miscellaneous: I'm asthmatic, so I must carry my meds with me...I also wear contact lenses so an extra pair along with my glasses are always in my bag.

• alex0312's Profile Photo

Comfortable shoes

by alex0312 Written Feb 11, 2007

Luggage and bags: From my own experience, pack as light as possible so you don't have to lug your suitcases if you have to.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Bring comfortable shoes because you will be walking a lot if you want to see as much as possible and your feet will get tired. If you are going in May, it could be a warm month (May of 2006) was very warm so if every month of May in Budapest is the same (temperature wise), bring light shirts/polo shirt and brighter colors (no black/dark brown) as you will get very hot and very quickly.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Bring the usual things, but if you forget, they are all available in Budapest at about the same or lower price than what you would have paid in US.

• Study Abroad

• veigapaula's Profile Photo

Raincoat

by veigapaula Written Sep 11, 2006

Luggage and bags: Extra bag (soft) to expand capacity after buying lots of souvenirs, books and posters. You go with one bag with the soft one inside and come back with two!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Rain coat, umbrella, plastic hat...whatever you want to protect from rain if it happens.

Photo Equipment: Lots!

Miscellaneous: Good walking shoes...

• Women's Travel
    • Disabilities
    • Singles

• Water in Hungary is WEIRD!!

by djferros Written Jun 10, 2006

Miscellaneous: The water in this country is weird!! You can only seem to buy sparking water everywhere and even that tasted weird. One day I stumbled across a supermarket called, "Match" and found Volvic mineral water. It was like finding gold!!

Instant Answers: Budapest

Comments

Budapest What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Budapest what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Budapest sightseeing.