Budapest What to Pack

My guidebook in Hungary
    by Kuznetsov_Sergey
    My guidebook in Budapest
    by Kuznetsov_Sergey
  • All packed and Cookie thinks she is going with me
    All packed and Cookie thinks she is...
    by Gypsystravels

Best Rated What to Pack in Budapest

• MedioLatino's Profile Photo

Nothing special...really! :)

by MedioLatino Written Sep 10, 2004

Me with my

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Depending on the time you come! The weather is continental, summer is hot, winter is cold and there might be some rain sometimes...nothing special...really! :)

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: You can get it all here, however for special medicaments you will need a doctor's prescription, so if you use something regularly, it's easier to just bring it with you.

Photo Equipment: You can by all types of negative/dia films, batteries, chargers, memory cards or whatsoever needed, so bring just the equipment you are using! :)

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo

Healing baths?

by belgianchocolate Updated Oct 30, 2004

Toiletries and Medical Supplies:
    We visited a bath every single day of our trip
    and enjoyed it a lot. After that week my skin
    had never feld that smooth.

But it doesn't work for your hair... my hair was
    as dry that it would probably catch fire if I walked
    too long in the sun. And it looked like one of
    those bushes that has to roll over the screen
    in those very warm and desolated villages
    in westernmovies.So take some conditioner
    with you. Some extra towels wont hurt either.

Another thing to take with you when you go bathing
    is something to put on your head.
    Only the géllert bath provides a ridiculous
    blue double plastic thing to put on your head.
    At the other baths if there is a swimming
    section you need to bring it yourself.

Don't forget.

• Spa and Resort

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Keep it simple and easy

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 27, 2008

All packed and Cookie thinks she is going with me

Luggage and bags: For a short visit like the one to Budapest I usually take a carry on (the one my pup is sitting on). I will also take along a great handbag, like my Coach or Gucci, which are large enough to carry my travel book, my journal, reading materials, my ipod pencil (I love writing in pencil) and any research I've done about the location.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I'm always prepared for the best and worst weather and traveling to Budapest during the winter time narrowed my clothing options. I knew I was going to do quite a bit of walking, so my MC Harley Davidson boots are my best friend for walking in colder weather and they are quite "fashionable" (no need to forsake fashion for function). I also take along a pair of my comfy medium heeled boots for night time. A few pair of jeans, a few warm sweaters, lite cotton long sleeve tops (in case the weather was warmer), my trusty umbrella, my pashmina scarf that can double as a blanket on the flight.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: I'll always pack travel size toiletries as well. I have very long hair and I am super picky with the shampoo and conditioner I use along with the type of soap I bath with, so I always carry my own. I also take a few "first aid" items as I will admit that since I do a lot of walking, there have been times where I have taken a fall (yeah, I am a bit of a klutz at times :)

Photo Equipment: My trusty digital, two memory cards, so I can take as many pictures as my little heart desires.

Miscellaneous: I'm asthmatic, so I must carry my meds with me...I also wear contact lenses so an extra pair along with my glasses are always in my bag.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Know before you go!

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 27, 2008

Miscellaneous: I do a lot of research before I travel to any location, I am very well informed about the options for transport to and from the airport. I'm a big history buff, so I tend to read up on the history of the city I am traveling to, the local customs, the expectations the locals have on travelers. I tend to get a hold of a map and familiarize myself a bit with the streets and where my hotel is in relation to all the "important" places to visit. I will also go online with my bank to check to see if there is a branch location making my cash withdrawal easier and cheaper.

I will also make a tentative itinerary when I have only a few days, but I will not commit myself to that list. It is a way for me to narrow down the places I would like to see. This proves to be a good way to see as much as I do, but allows me to be spontaneous as well.

A few days before traveling I will also check the weather to have a better guide of my packing list.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Summer in Budapest

by Dabs Updated Feb 26, 2006

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: We visited in August and experienced a severe change in the weather. The first two days it was extremely hot and the 3rd day it was cold and rainy. So even in the summer it's a good idea to pack a rain coat, sweater and an umbrella.

Miscellaneous: If you plan on visiting the baths, pack a swim cap if you have one or else you'll have to wear the shower caps they sell

• cjg1's Profile Photo

A Prepared Traveller

by cjg1 Written Mar 3, 2009

Luggage and bags: We took a rollaboard since we were just visiting for an extended weekend.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: We visited in winter (February) so we knew to bring warm weather clothes and layers. We packed scarves, hats, gloves and plenty of warm sweaters.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Shampoo, conditioner, hair gel, toothbrush, toothpaste, contact lenses, contact lens solution, deodorant, lotion, glasses and brush.

Photo Equipment: Digital camera, video camera and memory card reader

• brwgrl's Profile Photo

Pack your bathing suit!

by brwgrl Written Mar 30, 2006

Luggage and bags: Bring a day pack for all of the walking you'll do. We were here in March and the weather was a bit gloomy but pleasant enough to walk every day. I'm guessing that we walked somewhere between 4-10 miles a day depending on the day.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Bring good walking shoes. Both because it's easy to walk around the cities (Buda & Pest), but also because some of the sidewalks are very uneven and you want to make sure that you don't twist an ankle anywhere, especially in some of the old parts of the cities.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Febreeze - helps with the fact that all of our clothes smelled like cigarette smoke and fried food at the end of every day. We just spritzed them and were good to go.

We stayed at the nH Budapest and they had toiletries in each room if you forgot anything at home.

Photo Equipment: We brought 2 cameras - a regular pocket 35 mm and a digital camera. We used both. Just remember to bring extra film or SD cards because there's so much to take pictures of. Seemed to be plenty of places to buy film, but you can bring it with you.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Bring your swim suit! The baths are great - we went to the Szechenyi Baths and spent about 2.5 hours in the outdoor baths and the sauna. Whenever the baths are mixed you will need a suit. Even some of the non-mixed will require suits so be aware. Also bring a towel - you can rent them, but sometimes things get lost in translation (or the lack of translation).

• Spa and Resort
    • Women's Travel

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Map of Budapest

by HORSCHECK Updated Oct 6, 2003

Free Budapest Map

Miscellaneous: Take a free map of Budapest at the Tourist Information Office. The map includes the locations of the main sights and a plan of the public transport system (suburban railway, metro, tramway, bus).
    Budapest has a few Tourist Information Offices all over the town. The Main Office with a daily 24-hour service is located at Vorosmarty ter.

• Trains

• german_eagle's Profile Photo

The best guide book!

by german_eagle Written May 1, 2010

Budapest guide book

Miscellaneous: I spent a lot of time with preparations for my Budapest trip. Of course I used the internet, the pages here on VT but also other travel forums, but the most helpful ressource was a guide book that I found in my State und University Library: Andras Török's "Budapest - ein kritischer Reisefüher". It must be available in English, too. Both the New York Times and The Independent had rave reviews about it.

Török, born 1954, was a dissident, later State Secretary for culture followed by his position as chairman of the foundation for Hungarian culture. His guide book gives inside information on everyday life in Budapest, he covers more off the beaten path places than the so called 'must' places. He writes with a great sense of humour, doesn't spare negative comments on current developments - but always with deep love for his city. A great read even if you don't plan to visit Budapest. The only complaint I have is that the third edition from 1999 is the only copy my library had - no idea if there's a newer one.

• Architecture

• ophiro's Profile Photo

A good guide and a map

by ophiro Written Jul 12, 2008

walking in andrassy street with a map and a guide

Miscellaneous: Although you will find a lot in Virtual Tourist site , i recommend that you will take a good guide book in your language and a good map.
    A map you can find in almost any hotel you stay or a tourist information stand.

In a guide book you will sometime find small anecdotes about a place or a tip about hidden attraction that you will not find in the internet.

Another thing i am doing in my trips - writing the tips i found on the internet (and VT) in a notebook and check it too.

• Duffelgirl's Profile Photo

LUGGING LUGGAGE

by Duffelgirl Updated Oct 2, 2003

Top of Gellert Hill

Luggage and bags: You can buy everything you need in Hungary (for a good price too!).

I wouldn't recommend walking around with a big heavy rucksack as it can be awkard, especially on public transport.

Weather-wise we went in March, which was fairly warm and it didn't rain once. Try to pack layers rather than bulky clothes - I took a few jumpers with me and they didn't make it out of my rucksack for the whole three weeks!

In the summer months I can imagine Budapest becoming very stuffy and hot .

Make sure you pack a swimming costume for all those thermal spas and a corkscrew to open your bottle of Bulls blood!

• Water in Hungary is WEIRD!!

by djferros Written Jun 10, 2006

Miscellaneous: The water in this country is weird!! You can only seem to buy sparking water everywhere and even that tasted weird. One day I stumbled across a supermarket called, "Match" and found Volvic mineral water. It was like finding gold!!

• veigapaula's Profile Photo

Raincoat

by veigapaula Written Sep 11, 2006

Luggage and bags: Extra bag (soft) to expand capacity after buying lots of souvenirs, books and posters. You go with one bag with the soft one inside and come back with two!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Rain coat, umbrella, plastic hat...whatever you want to protect from rain if it happens.

Photo Equipment: Lots!

Miscellaneous: Good walking shoes...

• Disabilities
    • Women's Travel
    • Singles

• Packing List

by mmcguire Written Aug 24, 2002

Luggage and bags: Any bag is suitable, but take some kind of small backpack or bag to carry necessary items like water bottle and sunscreen, because in the summer average daytime temperature can be up to 35 degrees.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: For the summer light clothing and sum kind of sport shoes or sandles are best for that time of year.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Anti-perspirant, insect repellant, anti-histamine, sunscreen

Photo Equipment: Normal photographic equipment will be OK. Most hotels and shops will carry the standard batteries and films for cameras. For video equipment (i.e. recharging the batteries) the plug/socket is the standard european two pin. So it you are from Britain/Ireland or the US/Canada bring an adapter.

• DPando's Profile Photo

no clean trains

by DPando Written Nov 23, 2005

nice pic on my romanian  train from Budapest

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: just a few trains are quite clean. above all the toilet ..so go in advance if you are a girl cos it not more comfortable have to go one get in and take wih u a roll paper because there often isnt

Photo Equipment: So useful will be a tripod for night shots above all at Buda hill

Instant Answers: Budapest

Comments

Budapest What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Budapest what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Budapest sightseeing.