Cafe Vian, Budapest

by Jetgirly
    Indoor
    by muratkorman
  • Jetgirly's Profile Photo

Cafe Vian: "Everything You Want, All the Time"

by Jetgirly Written Mar 13, 2011
    Terrace Dining at Cafe Vian, Budapest

I think for something to be considered a tourist trap, it has to exploit tourists rather than just appeal to them. And while Cafe Vian on Liszt Ferenc Ter may market itself to the tourist crowd, on my visit several tables were occupied with locals who chose this restaurant as the place to meet their friends and family. Don't be put off by the English menu- give it a try!

I stopped at Cafe Vian for breakfast one morning while I waited for the Tourist Information office at Oktogon to open. I was happy to find they had a large breakfast menu, and opted for something (sort of) light: a "fitness breakfast" with muesli, yogurt and fresh fruit. I ordered it with a cafe au lait. My food and drink were served very quickly and everything was good (though I'm not always sure that full-fat yogurt should be categorized as "fit"!). I returned for a second breakfast later in the week and had a Mediterranean omelette; this wasn't as good as the fresh fitness breakfast. Service was very polite and friendly, though they did seem a bit overstaffed. I noticed they have a HUGE cocktail list, and I think their terrace (which can seat 150 people outside!) would be a great place to start your night out on the town in Budapest.

• Work Abroad

• german_eagle's Profile Photo

Cafe Vian: Hang out place

by german_eagle Written Mar 28, 2010

Sorry, no pictures on this one. I didn't bring my camera.

Cafe Vian is one of the busiest places at the very popular hang out place Ferencz Liszt square right around the corner from the Music College of the same name (and my hotel). Most guests are younger/students; it is also one of the few places where I encountered relatively many foreigners.

The ambience is modern, quite nice. A large flat-screen TV was centre of attraction for some of the guests. Others chatted animatedly and some were apparently on a date. People watching is definitely fun here.

Service was good, friendly and quick.

Favorite Dish: I ordered roasted duck breast 'Vian' style. It came with an assortment of salad and the obligatory goose liver. It was very good. I also ordered dessert - mascarpone with strawberries, very good also. With a glass of tap beer (Dreher, excellent), a small glass of Tokaji Aszu (3 buttons) and a small bottle of water the check was HUF 6,720. Service fee not included, so a good tip was in order.

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

Cafe Vian: My favorite in Liszt ferenc Ter

by muratkorman Written Oct 31, 2007

Indoor

Cafe Vian is one of the most friendly cafe in Liszt Ferenc Ter. It has a nice indoor atmosphere with comfortable coaches and outdoor tables are available during spring/summer. The menu is wide with starters, soups, salads, main courses, all types of beverages and desserts. The service is very friendly and warm which is not very common in Budapest and this makes here my favorite place in Liszt Ferenc Ter. I had meals in cafe Vian, but my favorite treat was to have a delicious mascarpone cheesecake with raspberry sauce while drinking capuccino.

Favorite Dish: All meals are good in quality, but I can't resist the cheesecake there!!!

• chess_machine's Profile Photo

Cafe Vian: Great place

by chess_machine Written Dec 9, 2005

Very nice bar/restaurant located in Lizst Ferenc, a charming street in the center of Pecs, near Oktogon.

Beautiful decoration, beautiful women, and a upper class atmosphere.

NB: It is said to be French, though what you will eat there is not truely what you find in France.

• Cafe Vian: Cafe Vian

by grkboiler Written Nov 8, 2004

Liszt Ferenc ter

Cafe Vian is a cafe located on Liszt Ferenc ter. It is a great place to sit outside at night for coffee or drinks. The drink menu is endless and there is a good selection of coffee.

Hours are 9 AM - Midnight daily.

• IngaA's Profile Photo

Cafe Vian: Kavéhas (coffee-house)

by IngaA Written Oct 19, 2002

Nice elegant cafe, with beautiful furniture and pictures on the walls. Mostly panoramas of Budapest.

Favorite Dish: Coffee 'Melange' : like cappuchino with some spicies
    Coffee with honey : interesting taste, but a bit too sweet, for me at least

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Cafe Vian: Try the paprikish

by easterntrekker Written Aug 4, 2008

So many restaurants to choose here, this one was popular ( maybe for the huge drink menu) We tried the Chicken paprikish here . It was good but quite mild tasting , a good break maybe.

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

• Skibbe's Profile Photo

Cafe Vian: Sidewalk Cafe Dining

by Skibbe Written Aug 11, 2004
    Great restaurants are all over Budapest

I loved the sidewalk cafes in Budapest--great food and atmosphere and much cheaper than sidewalk cafes in Western Europe. Cafe Vian was nice but I had no complaints on any of them.

Favorite Dish: Honey orange duck.

Instant Answers: Budapest

Comments

Hotels Near Cafe Vian
4.5 out of 5 stars