Central Kavehaz, Budapest

Breakfast at Central Cafe
  • Jefie's Profile Photo

Central Cafe: Good breakfast in an elegant atmosphere

by Jefie Updated Nov 1, 2012

This Budapest institution was located just down the street from our hotel, so we decided to go there for breakfast one morning. Centrál Kávéház, or Central Cafe, once had a reputation for being of the great literary cafes of Budapest, and today the cafe's elegance still bears witness to its illustrious past. The place was fairly quiet when we were there, but we still very much enjoyed the ambience, food and service. For such a nice cafe, we very much enjoyed how casual everything felt. The hungarian breakfast and cappucinos were especially good!

Budapest's Central Cafe Breakfast at Central Cafe With Sylvain at Centr��l K��v��h��z

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Central Kavehaz: Revisited And Just As Excellent

by johngayton Updated Jan 31, 2011

With over five years since my last visit I kinda amazed myself at being able to refind this place without poring over my map - I just sortof followed my nose. I was also extremely pleased that everything was just as I remembered it.

This really is an atmospheric Grande Cafe and my "Paris Without The Attitude" tag still holds true. It's difficult to believe that its present incarnation is only just over ten years old, it feels as if it is timeless institution.

This time round I ate informally in the bar on the ground floor where the waiting staff seemed to have lost their bow-ties but not their smiles. The bar itself was busy and buzzy with an eclectically-mixed clientele, ranging from a small group of students hunched over a laptop to a rather elegantly attractive blond (and her man ;(), and not an English accent within hearing distance.

Favorite Dish: About the only that had changed was the menu - the savoury pancakes and fried goose liver no longer appearing. But still plenty to choose from and so I opted for the "Roast Beetroot and Camembert Salad" to be followed by "Crispy Duck with Mushroom Gnocci and Red Cabbage".

My unostentatiously presented starter was substantial enough to have served as a light lunch with the earthy beetroot perfectly complimenting the creamy richness of the cheese and the little pluck of baby chives a zingy garnish - exactly what a garnish should be, an accompaniement rather than a decoration.

My main course duck was once again simply, but elegantly, arranged. The sliced breast was cooked perfectly-pink, the mushroom gnocci adding the starch and the spiced, sweet and sour, red cabbage providing the balance.

This was proper food and along with three beers, and a coffee the 8,300 forint bill (including 12% service) was a pleasure to pay for a very relaxing couple of hours soaking in the ambience.

PS And there were ashtrays on the tables!

Starter (And Beer #2) Perfectly Pink Duck Bow-tie-less Waiter Cafe Frontage

by Jeroenspeak Written Oct 28, 2010

I think, like many Budapest restaurants in the central area, the ficus here is slipping away a little from the quality of the food and more towards the processing of customers. Sounds alarming I know, but little things annoyed me here, White wine not served chilled (shows an abject lack of respect for on of hungarys finest exports). A bowl of bread placed on the table of all the foreigners, meaning of course they think they can charge you for the whole lot if you so much as ruffle the cloth over it. Cheap tricks imported from other east European countries. Service is very good, and not pushy, food not bad, I ordered the smoked trout, the trout was delicious, not much of it, and slightly disappointing accompaniments. Then I had the beef cheek, which was actually very good, it came with onion gravy and potato mash, a very nice dish. For dessert I recommend the cheese balls, sounds strange, but is really very good if your into rich food, comes with a cherry sorbet, which offsets it nicely.

• Rocco_Tulsa's Profile Photo

Centr?l K?v?h?z - Central Coffehouse: Historic Ambiance

by Rocco_Tulsa Written Mar 30, 2006

This historic little coffeehouse offers more than just coffee. They have a decent selection of meals and sandwiches, breakfast, almost anything you want. The wood and ceramic tile reminds one of early century (last one that is) grand train stations or cruise. You know when travelling was a grand affair. It's like something out of a novel. The main feature are 15ft windows. They even write a blurb about them on the menu.

While the meals are pretty good, this place has the best damn espresso that I've had in a while.

Favorite Dish: Come for any meal. Stay for coffee and dessert.

• sunshine9689's Profile Photo

Central Kavehaz - Central Coffehouse: Nice place with live music

by sunshine9689 Updated Sep 13, 2007

Sat on the second floor for non-smokers, next to the piano player. Enjoyed coffee, dessert and the atmosphere.

Instant Answers: Budapest