Dinner Boats, Budapest

by Neit
  • zuhur's Profile Photo

Dining on the Danube

by zuhur Written Mar 31, 2008

Our conference arranged a dinner on board a boat. It easily fit our group of 25 or so, one could have more. This was by far the most fun! We stopped half-way down the river to pick up "Gypsy musicians" -- I guess these were, but like others we heard the next night in a restaurant, much of the music is designed for tourists; I do not believe Fiddler on the Roof is a Hungarian melody! When they asked for our request, I asked for their favorite and they played a very speedy dance (folk) piece that I liked.

The food is sort of Germanic and Slavic at the same time. Nicest - stuffed cabbages, a type of very odd string, circular cheese, a kind of spaetzle with sauce. Heavy desserts.

We went up on the roof of the boat for part of the way -- Lovely at night! This was early March, still very cool, but definitely the beginning of spring.

• Women's Travel
    • Business Travel

• Neit's Profile Photo

Dine in a boat

by Neit Updated Jan 28, 2006

There are boats along the river where you can dine while you see the entire city. Only is possible to dine in a sailing boat on the Duna if you have reserved with antelation. But eat in a boat in the Duna, although beached in a riverfront, is fantastic too.

Do not forget that in the river, at night, it is cold even in August. So catch some jacket. I did not do it and at first, before drinking some wine, I was cold.

• Cruise

Instant Answers: Budapest

Comments

Hotels Near Dinner Boats
4.0 out of 5 stars