Fatal, Budapest

3.5 out of 5 stars 27 Reviews

Vaci utca 67. +36 1 266 2607
    Fatal Restaurant, Budapest
  • Having trout in Fatal restaurant, Budapest
    Having trout in Fatal restaurant,...
    My duck and I

• iblatt's Profile Photo

Fatal: Typical Tourist Restaurant

by iblatt Updated Nov 1, 2011

This restaurant is recommended in several travel websites and books, and that is why we chose it. It is centrally located, in a lane off Vaci utca. After entering you go down to the basement level, and the main part of the restaurant is located in a long cavernous space with an arched ceiling. Unfortunately that area of the restaurant was already full, and we were seated in a more remote small hall, which was also nice but less atmospheric than the main hall.

I ordered duck, which came with thick with Hungarian pasta; it was tasty (if you like rich, heavy Hungarian food) and very plentiful. My friend's pork leg with pasta was another huge portion, quite tasty. Our wives ordered trout, which was disappointing: somewhat dry and tasteless.

The service was not great. We never once saw a waiter after our meal had been served, no one asked whether everything was ok, not even when they brought us the bill: they seemed to be very sure of themselves that whatever they put on our plates must be excellent!

Overall most of us enjoyed our meal, but it was not great.

My duck and I Fatal Restaurant, Budapest Having trout in Fatal restaurant, Budapest Dining in Fatal restaurant, Budapest Entrance sign, Fatal restaurant, Budapest

• Fatal: Awfull

by Pirulinha Written Oct 9, 2011

We were two days ago in this restaurant, indicated in almost all the guides that we had with us. We ask for a bottle of wine. My husband was hungry and asked for one of the most expensive dishes. Generally, I don't eat in the night, but I wanted to try one of the typical soups of Hungary (more expensive there than in other places). After asking, the server said "Only soup no". We get up and we went away. What to say of an attitude like this one in a tourist restaurant?

Favorite Dish: none

by Kati21 Written Jul 31, 2011

We had 6 times during the 12 days what we spend are vacation in Budapest. Firts step what we do walking in Vaci street and on the end of the day we wisiting Fatal restaurant. Best time ever here only what we spend time in restaurants. We tray to many but not iven one to coming close to Fatal. Inteligent people give us the best service. This place in so perfect to warm up all time in the year. Specially they have air condition all over and clien air.
    Now the food. If really want to something special just go and you have tha best taste and large size a food what you can eat. Are all frend and family have only this restaurant a special. Fress large size and good tate food stay for ever in are mine because are experience with Fatal restaurant was exelent, super. We can recomended to everybody and do you loved.

• Fatal Restaurant: Beste Küche in Budapest

by hawudri Written Jul 30, 2011

Ungarische und internationale Küche vom Feinsten, riesige Portionen zu vernünftigen Preisen.
    Öfter dort gewesen und immer äußerst zufrieden.

Favorite Dish: Ungarische Gulaschsuppe, Filetsteak, Texmax (Spareribs), Kastaninreis-Palatschinken,verschiedene tolle Nachspeisen.

by Herceg Written Jul 30, 2011

Favorite Dish: Everything is so good. Hard to tell because we stray to many different food and everything is so fantastic good taste. Congratulations!!!

• Fatal Restaurant: A place to avoid

by hoflor Written Jan 6, 2011

Since we like to live on the edge we decided to check this place out while vacationing in Budapest. This despite of some locals telling us to avoid the place. Well, now I know why and we really should have listened to them. The service is absolutely horrible, these people make you feel like you should consider yourself lucky they let you in. The food is brutal and had much better from street vendors only a few blocks from this place. They really ought to do 2 things: Change owners and bring in new staff.

Favorite Dish: None.

• Fatal: Hungarian food at its best

by balcsi1960 Updated Dec 23, 2010

Visited Fatal Restaurant with my family as recommended by a business partner of mine. Although we are an international family, my daughters can not deny their roots since they love Hungarian dishes introduced to them by their grandmother. Of course , they picked their favorites from the menu such as the rantott hus ( Wiener snitzel), Liba comb (goose leg) and turos csusza. I had my childhood favorite , the szalontudo ( soure lung) while my wife had the brassoi appropecsenye (meat and potato dish with lots of garlic). The real surprise came when the food was delivered. The portions were huge. The snitzel was twice the size of the largest one I have ever seen before. The left over was enough to make sandwiches for the girls next morning for our sightseeing trip. All dishes were fresh and very tasty, in close competition with grandma's cooking. Overall, the ambiance was pleasant, service was prompt, food was great and the pricing was very reasonable. I would strongly recommend this restaurant to any of my friends or business partners visiting Budapest.

• Sirvictor's Profile Photo

Fatal is fataly bad. Don't go there!: Fatal is fataly bad

by Sirvictor Written May 23, 2010

It is much written about this restaurant in this forum. It is really fatally bad. I havent dined in such a bad restaurant in my life. Please dont go there. It is a trap.mIt is very expencive. On the night of May 19th at 21:00 I went there with my wife and younfger son.. My wife didn't want to go there. She wanted do dine in an another restaurant. For the first time I did'nt obeyed the wishes of my wife and entered into the restaurant. A sharp smell, a scent of fried fish broke my nose. The smelss of various fried fish, meat and garlic strict to my cloths and longed for 2 days. The waiters were very unfriendly. They were serving as if there were ready to hit us. We only ordered a cheese plate with 3 home made wine. I found the wine a little watery as if they add water in the wine. Normaly I order cheese plate when I drink wine. but this time it was not a cheese plate but red onion slieds plate. There was only 3 small peaces of cheese for 3 person. The plate was fuul of red onion which was sharp. In Turkey we are used to east union with bread but we have not sharp and bitter unions. naturally we couldnt eat the red unions.

• Fatal Restaurant: Worth every penny

by crackhammer Written Apr 24, 2010

We chose this restaurant after recommendation from VTers. Initially, we were rather upset as the guy just wouldn't take our orders and we had to sit for almost 30 mins doing nothing, except eating bread. Later on, the guy did apologize and took orders. Listen to everyone, the portions are HUGE, hence you may want to consider halving your order. We almost left more than half. Food was brilliant for almost all of us, one of our friend didn't like it though. Overall, recommended, book table in advance.

• mingul's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Tasty Hungarian food even if in a touristic area

by mingul Written Apr 27, 2009

Rustic ambience in a basement restaurant. There is a good selection of dishes most of them Hungarian. Do not forget to ask them about bringing the paprika so that you can spice up your dishes. The dishes are packed with big amounts of meat so there is a great chance that you will not finish your meal. However they will kindly offer take away boxes so that you can enjoy your meal even later.

Favorite Dish: I believe 90% of the dishes are worth ordering. Hungarian cuisine is very good. Not reccomended for dietists and vegetarians!

• FATAL RESTAURANT: Worst restaurant in Budapest

by clod69 Updated Apr 6, 2009

This restaurant is placed near the commercial street Vaci Utca. The restaurant is full of tourist and even the food is prepared to fill the stomachs of tourists with food of low quality. The environment is noisy and the waiters rude and hurried. At the end of the evening you did not spent much but the food has met there. If you are looking for a real Hungarian restaurant please search another place.

• Pelegolas's Profile Photo

Fatal: Whatever you order take the Vetrece soup

by Pelegolas Updated May 24, 2008

Most of the dishes are fried, and so a little heavy for the stomach. It's a little dark because it's on a basement. The food is excellent

Favorite Dish: Vetrece soup. it's soup in bread and i like it so much because it tastes so fantastic i can't imagine it. Imagine i went there 2 times, and the second one i just ordered the soup. Delicious

• Fatal: Drowned Fatal

by fatal1 Updated May 12, 2008

As a bunch of friends and I headed to Vaci Utca, we were not expecting to experience such a rich taste of hungarian food. Staying close to Erzsebet Korüt, we departed towards this very lively street and walked into Fatal, which had an utterly cavern-like atmosphere - it felt like we were in an abbey - , filled with an orange light and sat down on wooden benches waiting to discover the wooden platters of hungarian food. The menu looked interesting so we all chose adventurous dishes, from the Roast pork Brasho Style and Fried Aubergine & Zucchini with Turkish yogurt to the simple Stuffed Paprika with Potatoes. What sounded like very earthy and simple food - especially the paprika, which one expected to be nice and crispy - turned into fatally HUGE portions of soggy vegetables drowned into approx. 2 liters of tomato & paprika sauce. I was lucky that I had brought my shovel with me that day so that I could actually rescue the two paprika from the floods, yet these were too frightening for me to brace my courage and down them. Never have I been so intimidated by vegetables before. These kept gaping at me from underneath the thick layer of sauce throughout the fatal dinner. After a few "bites" and a couple of fried zucchini slices to lighten the meal, my stomach was so full that we all burst into an explosion of laughter at the sight of this ordeal.
    I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who hasn't eaten for a week, the quantities will rest on your belly for a good month at least. Please remember to wait before you go to the Gellert baths as going after the Fatal restaurant, you will no longer be able to swim and hardly move.

• Fatal Restaurant: Don't Miss It

by ozalp Written Mar 4, 2008

I’ve read a lot about this restaurant on VT so I started to think that it is a spoiled, over-touristy place. On the day we first strolled around by ourselves, we got tired. I’ve seen its sign and thought “Why not?” And I realized how wrong my prejudice was.
    When we opened the door, we saw stairs going down. The restaurant was located in a cellar. It was a warm, cute and nice place. The soft light makes the place relaxing.
    Waiters were not very helpful, but not very insistent, neither.
    We had a delicious meal and a good rest there. Their portions were huge, I couldn’t finish my goulash. We wanted a winter salad and realized that it was only pickled pepper. (In my country, a winter salad contains fresh winter vegetables as carrot, radish, lettuce…)
    I definitely recommend Fatal Restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Goulash

Goulash Alley to restaurant Signs on the corner Inside

• Fatal Restaurant: You must try it!

by dadolina Written Jan 5, 2008

Very traditional ambient, lots of people of different nationalities waiting to try traditional Hungarian food. It's intimate and crowded at the same time and that's the reason it's so fantastic! Waiters are flexible and food is served without a delay.

Favorite Dish: Hungarian sausages ans Somloi Galuska! These are my favorites. Galuska is traditional dessert and no words can describe it's taste so. you must try it!

Instant Answers: Budapest