Fatal, Budapest

3.5 out of 5 stars 27 Reviews

Vaci utca 67. +36 1 266 2607
    Fatal Restaurant, Budapest
  • Having trout in Fatal restaurant, Budapest
    Having trout in Fatal restaurant,...
  • Entrance sign, Fatal restaurant, Budapest
    Entrance sign, Fatal restaurant,...

• Audrey118's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: the porky dishes

by Audrey118 Written Apr 27, 2006

This is a great place to eat if you are in the touristy Vaci Utca area. Very close to the Ferecink metro (blue line), close to the white bridge also,.
    It is necessary to make reservation - it is very busy place - the service is brisk and they also tell you the latest time you can stay at the dining table.

As it was our day one dinner, we went early, jetlagged for some of us, so we went to the restaurant at 630pm - there were already many diners...tourist i presume.

We sat down n had bread, and our drinks, the boys enjoyed the local beer,and we had freshly squeezed juices. We ordered 2 mushroom soup - it was thinned soup but robust flavour and lots of sliced mushrooms and also one very thinned down Hungarian goulash. The boys complained it was too thinned down. But it was emptied !!! we ordered one Hungarian platter which was a pile of fresh sliced onions, cucumber tomatoes and other greens and it came with sliced pork, sausages, cold cuts etc. And we had one crispy pork which came with loads of shredded lasagne sheets, and another baked pork with like German speztles with bacon and lots of fried musrhooms. Tell you - it was so huge the serving we could have done one main meal less. no room for dessert!!! which looked awesome.

we walked back to our apartment hotel in a jiffy...

hungarian platter porkie in the pans!!! many many stained glass in the restaurant

• iblatt's Profile Photo

Fatal: Typical Tourist Restaurant

by iblatt Updated Nov 1, 2011

This restaurant is recommended in several travel websites and books, and that is why we chose it. It is centrally located, in a lane off Vaci utca. After entering you go down to the basement level, and the main part of the restaurant is located in a long cavernous space with an arched ceiling. Unfortunately that area of the restaurant was already full, and we were seated in a more remote small hall, which was also nice but less atmospheric than the main hall.

I ordered duck, which came with thick with Hungarian pasta; it was tasty (if you like rich, heavy Hungarian food) and very plentiful. My friend's pork leg with pasta was another huge portion, quite tasty. Our wives ordered trout, which was disappointing: somewhat dry and tasteless.

The service was not great. We never once saw a waiter after our meal had been served, no one asked whether everything was ok, not even when they brought us the bill: they seemed to be very sure of themselves that whatever they put on our plates must be excellent!

Overall most of us enjoyed our meal, but it was not great.

My duck and I Fatal Restaurant, Budapest Having trout in Fatal restaurant, Budapest Dining in Fatal restaurant, Budapest Entrance sign, Fatal restaurant, Budapest

• budapest8's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Fatal is living on it's past reputation

by budapest8 Written Jun 28, 2006

Fatal has only a few things going for it now!!!!!
    First the kitchen stays open late until midnight if your lucky.
    Second the food still tastes good and you get large portions,
    also the food is ready quickly.

Now the bad news.....They charge tourist prices and is
    double what it's worth. The waiters are not genuine and as
    friendly as they should be. They refused to give us a glass of
    normal tap water so we had to pay an extortionate rate for
    some brand name bottled water. I have visited many times and
    comparing to the other places I visited in the last few days, they
    should send the staff on a course to teach them that the customer
    comes first and service is important.

Favorite Dish:
    Most dishes are good and huuuuumungos portions.
    I had the kebab with roast potatoes.

Fatal portions are fatal.. Fish dish with lasagne at Fatal You need a large apetite at Fatal Kebab and chips on a plank at Fatal Restaurant High prices at Fatal Restaurant so no need to book

• nhcram's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Skip lunch - the portions are huge!!

by nhcram Updated Apr 16, 2006

We had seen this restaurant in a couple of guide books so thought we would try it. We were pleased we did.
    The busy restaurant is below ground level and is just off the main shopping street of Vaci U. The dark tourist filled place serves huge portions. The waiters speak good English and are attentive.
    Excellent value for money.

Favorite Dish: The best thing is the beautiful chicken soup that is served in a huge bread roll.
    The chicken salad I had the first time we went was so big that when I had finished the waiter thought I hadn't started!!

Chicken soup in a roll. Chicken Salad

by Kati21 Written Jul 31, 2011

We had 6 times during the 12 days what we spend are vacation in Budapest. Firts step what we do walking in Vaci street and on the end of the day we wisiting Fatal restaurant. Best time ever here only what we spend time in restaurants. We tray to many but not iven one to coming close to Fatal. Inteligent people give us the best service. This place in so perfect to warm up all time in the year. Specially they have air condition all over and clien air.
    Now the food. If really want to something special just go and you have tha best taste and large size a food what you can eat. Are all frend and family have only this restaurant a special. Fress large size and good tate food stay for ever in are mine because are experience with Fatal restaurant was exelent, super. We can recomended to everybody and do you loved.

• sunshine9689's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Restaurant on Vaci street

by sunshine9689 Updated Apr 12, 2006

Well.. It was too crowded when we were there (non-smoking, downstairs).
    I mean tables were just way TOO close to each other!!! No breathing room, very hot.

The food was OK. Large portions. I was not blown away though.

My stuffed cabbiage - not so good.

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Great Food - Poor Service

by muratkorman Written Oct 11, 2007

This restaurant is famous and well known. Being located in Vaci utca, makes it a popular place by tourists, but locals enjoy it as well. If you want to guarantee your dinner, make a reservation. It is not easy to find place without reservation in Fatal. I really enjoyed the food there. The portions were huge and very delicious. However, I have to complain about the service. The waiters were rude and slow. At the end, they also expected tip from us which they didn't deserve. If you don't bother with bad service, but focus on good food with reasonable price, you should try here.

Favorite Dish: Meat dishes are very delicious and huge :)

Huge portions Nice food My brother finished all of it !!!

• marica's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: It's o.k. to walk out!

by marica Updated Oct 17, 2006

Good: the food & portions. See other reviews.

Bad: Pushy & they cheat both tourists & Hungarians.

We have visited Budapest once a year (or more) for the last 8-9 years. Our host has always taken us (at least once/year) to Fatal. On more than one occassion, and admittedly after palinka, beer and wine, our host, a native Budapestian from the university (read: not easily pushed around) has received a check that was absolutely incorrect.

This past week my husband and I (pretty savvy to tourist trap stuff) entered, asked for smoking section, were told they would only serve us if we were out by 9pm (it was about 7). O.k.-- the food is worth it. Then were told we could not order just one very large entry, we could not order soup and a very large antry (even though we had already placed a drink order of some size).

"The head waiter will not allow me to serve you unless you order more."

Guess what? We know other great restaruants.

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO JUST GET UP AND WALK OUT! The folk you are passing on your way out may wish they had done the same when they see their inflated bill.

Do not be fooled by the seemingly cheap prices if you are a novice to the Vaci area restaurant practices.

• Fatal Restaurant: Don't Miss It

by ozalp Written Mar 4, 2008

I’ve read a lot about this restaurant on VT so I started to think that it is a spoiled, over-touristy place. On the day we first strolled around by ourselves, we got tired. I’ve seen its sign and thought “Why not?” And I realized how wrong my prejudice was.
    When we opened the door, we saw stairs going down. The restaurant was located in a cellar. It was a warm, cute and nice place. The soft light makes the place relaxing.
    Waiters were not very helpful, but not very insistent, neither.
    We had a delicious meal and a good rest there. Their portions were huge, I couldn’t finish my goulash. We wanted a winter salad and realized that it was only pickled pepper. (In my country, a winter salad contains fresh winter vegetables as carrot, radish, lettuce…)
    I definitely recommend Fatal Restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Goulash

Goulash Alley to restaurant Signs on the corner Inside

• mingul's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Tasty Hungarian food even if in a touristic area

by mingul Written Apr 27, 2009

Rustic ambience in a basement restaurant. There is a good selection of dishes most of them Hungarian. Do not forget to ask them about bringing the paprika so that you can spice up your dishes. The dishes are packed with big amounts of meat so there is a great chance that you will not finish your meal. However they will kindly offer take away boxes so that you can enjoy your meal even later.

Favorite Dish: I believe 90% of the dishes are worth ordering. Hungarian cuisine is very good. Not reccomended for dietists and vegetarians!

• violetnon's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Delicious and huge dishes!

by violetnon Written Apr 23, 2006

If you are so hungry and want to have an experience of Hungarian kitchen, go directly to Fatal. We did so!

I was so curious with my two friends about Hungarian cousine and I can say I was enough full while leaving from Fatal. They have amazingly huge plates. Although I thought I can't finish my meal, there was nothing left:)

And also I should add that the price is highly convenient for students or limited-budget travelers.

Favorite Dish: I had heard the main dish of Hungary was "goulash". In Fatal, I tried it. It was delicious, spicy tasty, and huge:)

I also ordered cucamber salad with yogurt, however there was sugar on yogurt, I didn't like it so much...

• leostarico's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Great food but poor service

by leostarico Written Sep 3, 2007

I have gone to Fatal several times. The food is absolutely fabulous and the portions are huge!
    SERVICE (if you are looking for friendly waiters...forget it!). These may be the most unfriendly waiters I have ever seen...also please note that the access to the restaurant is not good for people with walking disabilities. Long and steep stairs down!

• WillieGib's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Do Not Walk Past This Restaurant

by WillieGib Written Feb 28, 2007

A First Class Traditional Hungarian Restaurant serving Excellent food with great service and unbelievable prices...Please do not walk past...!!!!! Enjoy the service and food..and when the bill arrives you will not believe what you see!!

Favorite Dish: A Hungarian mixed grill served in its own cooking pot....and Do not forget the Goulash!!

• FATAL RESTAURANT: Worst restaurant in Budapest

by clod69 Updated Apr 6, 2009

This restaurant is placed near the commercial street Vaci Utca. The restaurant is full of tourist and even the food is prepared to fill the stomachs of tourists with food of low quality. The environment is noisy and the waiters rude and hurried. At the end of the evening you did not spent much but the food has met there. If you are looking for a real Hungarian restaurant please search another place.

• Fatal Restaurant: A place to avoid

by hoflor Written Jan 6, 2011

Since we like to live on the edge we decided to check this place out while vacationing in Budapest. This despite of some locals telling us to avoid the place. Well, now I know why and we really should have listened to them. The service is absolutely horrible, these people make you feel like you should consider yourself lucky they let you in. The food is brutal and had much better from street vendors only a few blocks from this place. They really ought to do 2 things: Change owners and bring in new staff.

Favorite Dish: None.