Fatal Restaurant, Budapest

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 63 Reviews

1056 Budapest, Vaci utca 67. +36 1 266 2607

Fatal Restaurant, Budapest
  • Having trout in Fatal restaurant, Budapest
    Having trout in Fatal restaurant,...
  • Entrance sign, Fatal restaurant, Budapest
    Entrance sign, Fatal restaurant,...
  • Pelegolas's Profile Photo

Fatal: Whatever you order take the Vetrece soup

by Pelegolas Updated May 24, 2008

Most of the dishes are fried, and so a little heavy for the stomach. It's a little dark because it's on a basement. The food is excellent

Favorite Dish: Vetrece soup. it's soup in bread and i like it so much because it tastes so fantastic i can't imagine it. Imagine i went there 2 times, and the second one i just ordered the soup. Delicious

• Fatal: Drowned Fatal

by fatal1 Updated May 12, 2008

As a bunch of friends and I headed to Vaci Utca, we were not expecting to experience such a rich taste of hungarian food. Staying close to Erzsebet Korüt, we departed towards this very lively street and walked into Fatal, which had an utterly cavern-like atmosphere - it felt like we were in an abbey - , filled with an orange light and sat down on wooden benches waiting to discover the wooden platters of hungarian food. The menu looked interesting so we all chose adventurous dishes, from the Roast pork Brasho Style and Fried Aubergine & Zucchini with Turkish yogurt to the simple Stuffed Paprika with Potatoes. What sounded like very earthy and simple food - especially the paprika, which one expected to be nice and crispy - turned into fatally HUGE portions of soggy vegetables drowned into approx. 2 liters of tomato & paprika sauce. I was lucky that I had brought my shovel with me that day so that I could actually rescue the two paprika from the floods, yet these were too frightening for me to brace my courage and down them. Never have I been so intimidated by vegetables before. These kept gaping at me from underneath the thick layer of sauce throughout the fatal dinner. After a few "bites" and a couple of fried zucchini slices to lighten the meal, my stomach was so full that we all burst into an explosion of laughter at the sight of this ordeal.
    I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who hasn't eaten for a week, the quantities will rest on your belly for a good month at least. Please remember to wait before you go to the Gellert baths as going after the Fatal restaurant, you will no longer be able to swim and hardly move.

• ozalp's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Don't Miss It

by ozalp Written Mar 4, 2008

Goulash

I’ve read a lot about this restaurant on VT so I started to think that it is a spoiled, over-touristy place. On the day we first strolled around by ourselves, we got tired. I’ve seen its sign and thought “Why not?” And I realized how wrong my prejudice was.
    When we opened the door, we saw stairs going down. The restaurant was located in a cellar. It was a warm, cute and nice place. The soft light makes the place relaxing.
    Waiters were not very helpful, but not very insistent, neither.
    We had a delicious meal and a good rest there. Their portions were huge, I couldn’t finish my goulash. We wanted a winter salad and realized that it was only pickled pepper. (In my country, a winter salad contains fresh winter vegetables as carrot, radish, lettuce…)
    I definitely recommend Fatal Restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Goulash

• Fatal Restaurant: You must try it!

by dadolina Written Jan 5, 2008

Very traditional ambient, lots of people of different nationalities waiting to try traditional Hungarian food. It's intimate and crowded at the same time and that's the reason it's so fantastic! Waiters are flexible and food is served without a delay.

Favorite Dish: Hungarian sausages ans Somloi Galuska! These are my favorites. Galuska is traditional dessert and no words can describe it's taste so. you must try it!

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Great Food - Poor Service

by muratkorman Written Oct 11, 2007

Huge portions

This restaurant is famous and well known. Being located in Vaci utca, makes it a popular place by tourists, but locals enjoy it as well. If you want to guarantee your dinner, make a reservation. It is not easy to find place without reservation in Fatal. I really enjoyed the food there. The portions were huge and very delicious. However, I have to complain about the service. The waiters were rude and slow. At the end, they also expected tip from us which they didn't deserve. If you don't bother with bad service, but focus on good food with reasonable price, you should try here.

Favorite Dish: Meat dishes are very delicious and huge :)

• leostarico's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Great food but poor service

by leostarico Written Sep 3, 2007

I have gone to Fatal several times. The food is absolutely fabulous and the portions are huge!
    SERVICE (if you are looking for friendly waiters...forget it!). These may be the most unfriendly waiters I have ever seen...also please note that the access to the restaurant is not good for people with walking disabilities. Long and steep stairs down!

• WillieGib's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Do Not Walk Past This Restaurant

by WillieGib Written Feb 28, 2007

A First Class Traditional Hungarian Restaurant serving Excellent food with great service and unbelievable prices...Please do not walk past...!!!!! Enjoy the service and food..and when the bill arrives you will not believe what you see!!

Favorite Dish: A Hungarian mixed grill served in its own cooking pot....and Do not forget the Goulash!!

• isasa's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: good value! cheap and fullfilling

by isasa Updated Feb 3, 2007

very nice place in the city centre (pest side)
    dishes are very big and it is quite hard to finish them..but delicious, tasty, fresh and good quality of food
    the only problem is that you are forced to choose a 2 courses menu so you can't "surf" on it as you like...i have eaten there 4 times in few days and it costed me 15 euros per person(starter,main course of fish or meat) i had goulash soup and a very big dish with lots of meat, veg like red cabbage cooked in a nice and tasty way, mashed potatos and another typical ungarian mash made with a kind of gnocchi they say...anyway it is worth to eat there and it is very easy to find
    enjoy this nice restaurant and his staff (they are very kind)
    p.s. i went there on christmass time, it was always full but it is always opened as well..

• marica's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: It's o.k. to walk out!

by marica Updated Oct 17, 2006

Good: the food & portions. See other reviews.

Bad: Pushy & they cheat both tourists & Hungarians.

We have visited Budapest once a year (or more) for the last 8-9 years. Our host has always taken us (at least once/year) to Fatal. On more than one occassion, and admittedly after palinka, beer and wine, our host, a native Budapestian from the university (read: not easily pushed around) has received a check that was absolutely incorrect.

This past week my husband and I (pretty savvy to tourist trap stuff) entered, asked for smoking section, were told they would only serve us if we were out by 9pm (it was about 7). O.k.-- the food is worth it. Then were told we could not order just one very large entry, we could not order soup and a very large antry (even though we had already placed a drink order of some size).

"The head waiter will not allow me to serve you unless you order more."

Guess what? We know other great restaruants.

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO JUST GET UP AND WALK OUT! The folk you are passing on your way out may wish they had done the same when they see their inflated bill.

Do not be fooled by the seemingly cheap prices if you are a novice to the Vaci area restaurant practices.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Huge portions of Hungarian food

by Dabs Updated Jun 29, 2006

Fatal Restaurant

This restaurant seemed to be recommended by everyone-Vters, guidebooks, websites, etc. so I was pleasantly surprised when we made our 1st visit for lunch that there was no waiting. Service was quick, although not particularly friendly, and the food was excellent. We went back for dinner the next night (weekday) and it was much busier although we still got a table right away we seemed to be relegated to the "bad American with no reservation section". Once again service was fairly quick except dessert which took a bit longer and the server was less than pleasant.

The restaurant's entrance is just off the main tourist shopping street Vaci Utca, it is well marked with a sign.

And I hope you enjoy my photo of the meal, other patrons were pointing at me and laughing :-)

Favorite Dish: On my first visit I tried the chicken gulyas which is chicken in a paprika/sour cream sauce with a healthy portion of spatzle to accompany it. It was absolutely delicious and the portion was enough for two. David tried the pork schnitzel which was also quite good and came with a side of onion fried potatoes. He only finished about 1/2 as well.

On the 2nd visit, we tried something different and I forgot to write it down it's actual name, a pancake with chicken and mushrooms which was a little too salty and David's was a kebab of some sort which he liked but I definitely liked my first meal better. This seemed to be a smaller portion so we still had room left for dessert, mine was banana fritters with ice cream and it was OK but nothing special.

• budapest8's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Fatal is living on it's past reputation

by budapest8 Written Jun 28, 2006

Fatal portions are fatal..

Fatal has only a few things going for it now!!!!!
    First the kitchen stays open late until midnight if your lucky.
    Second the food still tastes good and you get large portions,
    also the food is ready quickly.

Now the bad news.....They charge tourist prices and is
    double what it's worth. The waiters are not genuine and as
    friendly as they should be. They refused to give us a glass of
    normal tap water so we had to pay an extortionate rate for
    some brand name bottled water. I have visited many times and
    comparing to the other places I visited in the last few days, they
    should send the staff on a course to teach them that the customer
    comes first and service is important.

Favorite Dish:
    Most dishes are good and huuuuumungos portions.
    I had the kebab with roast potatoes.

• Audrey118's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: the porky dishes

by Audrey118 Written Apr 27, 2006

hungarian platter

This is a great place to eat if you are in the touristy Vaci Utca area. Very close to the Ferecink metro (blue line), close to the white bridge also,.
    It is necessary to make reservation - it is very busy place - the service is brisk and they also tell you the latest time you can stay at the dining table.

As it was our day one dinner, we went early, jetlagged for some of us, so we went to the restaurant at 630pm - there were already many diners...tourist i presume.

We sat down n had bread, and our drinks, the boys enjoyed the local beer,and we had freshly squeezed juices. We ordered 2 mushroom soup - it was thinned soup but robust flavour and lots of sliced mushrooms and also one very thinned down Hungarian goulash. The boys complained it was too thinned down. But it was emptied !!! we ordered one Hungarian platter which was a pile of fresh sliced onions, cucumber tomatoes and other greens and it came with sliced pork, sausages, cold cuts etc. And we had one crispy pork which came with loads of shredded lasagne sheets, and another baked pork with like German speztles with bacon and lots of fried musrhooms. Tell you - it was so huge the serving we could have done one main meal less. no room for dessert!!! which looked awesome.

we walked back to our apartment hotel in a jiffy...

• violetnon's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Delicious and huge dishes!

by violetnon Written Apr 23, 2006

If you are so hungry and want to have an experience of Hungarian kitchen, go directly to Fatal. We did so!

I was so curious with my two friends about Hungarian cousine and I can say I was enough full while leaving from Fatal. They have amazingly huge plates. Although I thought I can't finish my meal, there was nothing left:)

And also I should add that the price is highly convenient for students or limited-budget travelers.

Favorite Dish: I had heard the main dish of Hungary was "goulash". In Fatal, I tried it. It was delicious, spicy tasty, and huge:)

I also ordered cucamber salad with yogurt, however there was sugar on yogurt, I didn't like it so much...

• Heniko's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Fatal

by Heniko Written Apr 16, 2006

Although it may seem strange to have a country-style restaurant just off Váci utca, Fatâl is a decent enough place, serving up rural sized portions of traditional food at average prices.

In Hungarian, the restaurant's name actually means 'wooden platter', which unsurprisingly is how most dishes are presented to a mainly tourist clientele. Not that you'd guess from the building's faceless façade though (which gives few clues as to the type of cuisine on offer here). Service has been reported as ropey in the past, but was okay when we visited. Essential to book ahead.

• nhcram's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Skip lunch - the portions are huge!!

by nhcram Updated Apr 16, 2006

Chicken soup in a roll.

We had seen this restaurant in a couple of guide books so thought we would try it. We were pleased we did.
    The busy restaurant is below ground level and is just off the main shopping street of Vaci U. The dark tourist filled place serves huge portions. The waiters speak good English and are attentive.
    Excellent value for money.

Favorite Dish: The best thing is the beautiful chicken soup that is served in a huge bread roll.
    The chicken salad I had the first time we went was so big that when I had finished the waiter thought I hadn't started!!

Instant Answers: Budapest