Fatal Restaurant, Budapest

4 out of 5 stars 63 Reviews

1056 Budapest, Vaci utca 67. +36 1 266 2607

Fatal Restaurant, Budapest
  • Having trout in Fatal restaurant, Budapest
    Having trout in Fatal restaurant,...
    Dining in Fatal restaurant, Budapest
  • sunshine9689's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Restaurant on Vaci street

by sunshine9689 Updated Apr 12, 2006

My stuffed cabbiage - not so good.

Well.. It was too crowded when we were there (non-smoking, downstairs).
    I mean tables were just way TOO close to each other!!! No breathing room, very hot.

The food was OK. Large portions. I was not blown away though.

• dmrtn's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: FOOOOOOOOODDD!!!!

by dmrtn Updated Apr 5, 2006

Underground, cosy, great food, decent prices and MASSIVE portions. When I can't finish my plate then you know the portions are big!

Favorite Dish: I had the Farmer's Pan - A heap of Gnochi style substances one side, mashed potato and onion on the other, a huge side portion of delicious red cabbage, a large sausage, large black pudding, large white pudding - All served in a frying pan :-) ok not everyone likes pudding and sausage but if you do then get this!

Returned here and tried the Leg of pork, both ways of serving it. Fantastic!

• morgenhund's Profile Photo

Fatál Restaurant: Don't let the name put you off!

by morgenhund Written Nov 15, 2005

I had originally heard about the restaurant from having seen a picture of the sign for it in a copy of Private Eye in the mid 1990s, so I decided to try it out on the strength of the picture. I have since learnt that Fatál in Hugarian is actually the word for a wooden plate - so there is no element of risk eating here. I first went back in 1998 when there was no problems getting a table by walking in off the street - or from the bar next door, although friends in Budapest have informed me recently that you need to reserve a table otherwise you can have a lengthy wait, because it is still very reasonably priced, with meals now costing around the HUF 2000 mark - i.e. about EUR 8.

Favorite Dish: The cuisine is traditional Hungarian cookery - I remember having Pörkölt as I had, at that point in time, never had it before. I remember the food to be very acceptable and that the wine I had with it was perfectly drinkable.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Anything but Fatal

by Mikebb Written Nov 15, 2005

Skiskebab - massive size

This restaurant is situated in a small street off the Vaci Utca a well known tourist area and has to be good to survive. We arrived at 8:00pm and as we wanted a non smoking area we had to wait 5 minutes to a table was available. Ushered through a couple of passages we came into a large room with approximately 50 people sitting mostly in larger tables. We were given a table inches from another couple, however they did not mind and we soon joined in the fun as the room was noisy.
    We had heard the servings were large and were amazed at the meals delivered to the adjoining tables, when ours arrived they were even bigger as we had ordered large meals. The meals were excellent , however I think we might have appreciated them better if the serving was smaller. We indulged in sweets and had a most enjoyable evening.

Favorite Dish: The attached photos display the meals, there is no need for an entree at this restaurant.

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Huge portions...Hungarian style

by BLewJay Written Oct 28, 2005

VT meeting at Fatal...me, LJ, Angela and Tomas

The name Fatal means wooden plate (which is what they place beneath your eating vessel) and is pretty much a tourist destination. But the food is good and if you are huntry, then this is the place to eat. Since ost customers are tourist, they have three separate menus in English, German and Hungarian. In general the dishes are pricey, but some of the best ones are reasonable.

• pmarshuk's Profile Photo

Fatal: In the cellars

by pmarshuk Updated Sep 2, 2005

One night a group of us went to a restuarant on Vaci street called Fatal. The restuarant is down underground and although the service was pretty slow the food certainly was great and came in huge portions. It was also very resonably priced. Because of its location in the cellars it has a wonderful vaulted roof which adds to the atmosphere.
    Went back again in August 2005, this time in a party of 12. This time the service was very good and the food came in monumental portions, yet was still very tasty

• micaela73's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Beautiful Bean Soup

by micaela73 Written Aug 17, 2005

A friend that used to live in Budapest for years took me to this restaurant whose name translates as Wooden Plate. It has cute menus, nice servers and is very cheap. I have heard that during peak hours it can be crazy, but we went their twice and had no problems.

Favorite Dish: My friend insisted we order the bean soup- and was she right. It comes in THE PAN! It has a great flavor- it is very hearty. And it was more than enough for us two girls. It was also very cheap! Under 10 bucks for beers and soup.

• MoreBarTime11's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Go with an appetite!

by MoreBarTime11 Written Jul 8, 2005

Just off of Vaci without the price!

You will walk down a few stairs and be seated in a dimly lit dining area. They said our area was non-smoking though we noticed ash trays at each table. Very few people in the restaurant so it did not matter anyway!

The huge portions will satisfy any appetite! The food is fantastic and full of flavor.

Hours 1130 to 2 am 7 days a week
    NOTE:::: CASH ONLY

• ouate12's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: The farmer plate "HUGE"

by ouate12 Written Jun 23, 2005

Excellent local underground restuarant. Good aptmosphere and also very good value and large portions all served on wooden plates .

Favorite Dish: The farmer plaste was excellent. Large and served in the pan and gave a little taste of many local specialities.

• Mique's Profile Photo

FATAL: So much food on your plate..

by Mique Updated Mar 17, 2005

Cathja, me and Inga (IngaA)

Inga took us to Fatal to celebrate her birthday... . And what a good choice. When our neighbours got their food, all of us couldn't help but stare. It was a whole tower of food. And i swear i saw another 'dish (read huge plate) passing by with a whole chicken on top...

We also got easily enough food for ourselves and we had the 'smaller' dishes And it was delicious.

Fatal can be very busy thoug so it is possible you have to wait or even come back another night..

2005 update: We found it again.And also this time it was very very crowded. But we got seats for all 5 of us. The food still tasted great and even the hungarian among us left very satisfied.

After asking if people ever finished an entree and a main course the waiter told us that is someone did they offered him/her a dessert for free.

• shirez's Profile Photo

Picard Caffe

by shirez Written Mar 9, 2005

Very nice and quiet coffehouse 2 min walk from the Parliament.
    While walking in Falk Miksa Str, you would be suprised how many antique shops take place in one street, actually you might find I think up to ten.

Entering Picard will cause you a little suprise, because the place looks really small, but has a very happy atmosphere, and there are a wide range of meals. Cant even choose what to eat: toasted ciabbatta or salad or baked vegetables or maybe home made cakes.

I recommend to have breakfast in Picard with fresh croissant and coffe au lait:-)

(and dont be suprised if you meet some Hungarian celebrities. but you go to Picard to ffel good and not for be seen.)

Favorite Dish: I love brown ciabatta with prosciutto and mozarella and tomato... it is huge, fresh and beautiful!!

• Fatal Restaurant: great food - poor service

by periquito Written Feb 27, 2005

It is a great place to eat, though we had a bad experience with the waiter. Wouldnt mention it if it wasnt because I read the same in a previous tip.

Favorite Dish: wouldnt call it the favourite dish, but try the wienerschnitzel. It is HUGE!

Just go for a main dish unless you are very very hungry.

• c1503's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: excellent meal

by c1503 Written Jan 26, 2005

The place is in an old basement, lighting is low level but the crowd is loud enough that it gives the place a feeling of openess.
    This was an excellent place to dine. The good thing was that the portions were huge and very filling all served on a wooden plate. Staff was pretty friendly, the only thing that I thought they could improve on was that they should hire female waitresses and budapest has a lot of beautiful women.
    But over all a great place to eat and relax.

Favorite Dish: Cant specify witch one they were all good.

• mandybailey's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Huge Portions!

by mandybailey Written Dec 17, 2004

Cosy little restaurant with a really relaxed atmosphere.
    It's the perfect place to introduce yourself to Hungarian food, there's lots of choice on the menu and the portions are huge!!!

Favorite Dish: I had steak which (thank god!) came up in not too big a portion! It was really good.
    Some peoples portions were seriously huge!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Fatal - The Budapest Restaurant

by HORSCHECK Updated Oct 29, 2004

Receipt of Fatal

On my first day in Budapest VT member Nykaenen and me met for a dinner VT meeting. After checking a few restaurants we decided to go to Fatal, where Nykaenen had already been before.
    Fatal is Hungarian for "wooden plate", which is what they usually place under your dish here. The restaurant is a bit touristy, but the Hungarian portions are big, tasty and affordable.

Instant Answers: Budapest