Fatal Restaurant, Budapest

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 63 Reviews

1056 Budapest, Vaci utca 67. +36 1 266 2607

• Having trout in Fatal restaurant, Budapest
    Having trout in Fatal restaurant,...
    Fatal Restaurant, Budapest
    Dining in Fatal restaurant, Budapest
  • Fatal Restaurant: Do What they Say or go somewhere else

by tamasbr Updated Aug 22, 2010

This is a place that will not serve you what you want;only what they want! So if you only want to have a dessert, not possible here; if you only want to have a soup; not possible here. Too bad they were not this way when they first opened; But now they think that you are there to please them. The Waiters are arrogant, the managers even more arrogant. They really dont care anymore because of their popularity with people who want greasy large portions. Highly not-recommended; If you want HUGE PORTIONS go to the Paprika Restaurant instead and have a real meal or the besziszelet restaurant , see reviews for both below.

Many people since I first wrote this have commented on their lack of hospitality, read their reviews as well before you think of visiting them; fataly sadistic place.

Favorite Dish: Heapfull of sarcasm

• IngaA's Profile Photo

'Fatal' restaurant: From VT experience

by IngaA Updated Jul 4, 2003

Csirke gulyas (thanx for the pic, Boris)

Well,nothing "fatal" in this restaurant, on a contrary it is a very nice place.
    'Fatal' in Hungarian means 'wodden tableware'. And absolutely correct because they serve meal in wodden plates. Forks and knives are of steel though.
    The first person who told me about this restaurant was my VT friend Brandon aka europebn. He is a big fan of this place and now I know why.
    Later my classmates who ate at 'Fatal', also recommended it.
    Situated in the centre of the city, at Vaci utca (street), it is decorated in an old Hungarian style.
    So we (Zdenka aka Nykaenen, Boris aka Croisbeauty and Inga aka IngaA aka myself, lol) were curious to discover this place.
    Thank you Brandon, apart of all the big and small meeting u have already organised, you can also nominate yourself as smth like "B'pest VT mini meeting place idea generator" :)

Favorite Dish: Csirke gulyas & galuska (chicken gulyas & galushka)
    Galushka is a kind of cooky made of boiled dough. We have it in Ukrainian cuisine as well.
    Served with paprika & tomatoes. That's what I had. Zdenka (Nykaenen) had smth with fish and Boris (Croisbeauty) had pork with potato. For better description look at their pages (can't wait for their updates myself).
    Portions are tremendous. I still wonder who were their "ethalon" clients whose appetite they took as a standard. It seems that elephants :).
    And of course, delicious wine. Cabernet Sauvignon it was

• Wine Tasting

• Nothing But The Blues pub: Blues, Burgers and more...

by bluesmagoo Written Jun 30, 2008

This cool little basement pub has a very different kind of menu for Budapest. Yes, they have good Hungarian staples, but they also have huge burgers, full English breakfast, some Thai food and the only pork burrito I've seen in Europe. They play the full range of Blues, with live music often. Small but fun and open late.

Favorite Dish: The pork burrito is the closest thing to carnitas you will see on this side of Mexico or LA. The thing is huge!! Comes with actual home made salsa, too.

• biggeorge's Profile Photo

FATAL: Do you like big portions?

by biggeorge Written Feb 18, 2004

Serves huge hungarian meals with a minimum of fuss to flocks of tourists.
    Meals are gigantic but you end up paying for it. Waiters could politely be described as " abrupt " it's a nightmare ordering a drink , so that's it down to one star then!

Favorite Dish: The fish wrapped in cheese and bacon and deep fried , i saw Scottish people complaining it was unhealthy.

• FATAL RESTAURANT: IF YOU WANT SPECIAL FOOD ONLY FATAL RESTAURANT.

by Kati21 Written Jul 31, 2011

We had 6 times during the 12 days what we spend are vacation in Budapest. Firts step what we do walking in Vaci street and on the end of the day we wisiting Fatal restaurant. Best time ever here only what we spend time in restaurants. We tray to many but not iven one to coming close to Fatal. Inteligent people give us the best service. This place in so perfect to warm up all time in the year. Specially they have air condition all over and clien air.
    Now the food. If really want to something special just go and you have tha best taste and large size a food what you can eat. Are all frend and family have only this restaurant a special. Fress large size and good tate food stay for ever in are mine because are experience with Fatal restaurant was exelent, super. We can recomended to everybody and do you loved.

DO NOT FORGET TO VISITING THAT RESTAURANT WHEN YOU ARE VISITING BUDAPEST.

Favorite Dish: SPECIALLY ALL FOOD WHAT WE ORDERED WAS THE BEST TASTE EVER WHAT WE CAN EXPECT FROM HUNGARIAN FOOD.

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Great Food - Poor Service

by muratkorman Written Oct 11, 2007

Huge portions

This restaurant is famous and well known. Being located in Vaci utca, makes it a popular place by tourists, but locals enjoy it as well. If you want to guarantee your dinner, make a reservation. It is not easy to find place without reservation in Fatal. I really enjoyed the food there. The portions were huge and very delicious. However, I have to complain about the service. The waiters were rude and slow. At the end, they also expected tip from us which they didn't deserve. If you don't bother with bad service, but focus on good food with reasonable price, you should try here.

Favorite Dish: Meat dishes are very delicious and huge :)

• sunshine9689's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Restaurant on Vaci street

by sunshine9689 Updated Apr 12, 2006

My stuffed cabbiage - not so good.

Well.. It was too crowded when we were there (non-smoking, downstairs).
    I mean tables were just way TOO close to each other!!! No breathing room, very hot.

The food was OK. Large portions. I was not blown away though.

• siwi's Profile Photo

Fatál: Popular and busy!!!

by siwi Written Jan 19, 2003

Mostly served on a wooden plate (that's what the name means) these dishes are not very cheap, but so large that you can expect to be able to share. Variable service: some guests mention feeling "rushed" through this huge meal and out the door to clear the space for the next customers at busy times.

• ozalp's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Don't Miss It

by ozalp Written Mar 4, 2008

Goulash

I’ve read a lot about this restaurant on VT so I started to think that it is a spoiled, over-touristy place. On the day we first strolled around by ourselves, we got tired. I’ve seen its sign and thought “Why not?” And I realized how wrong my prejudice was.
    When we opened the door, we saw stairs going down. The restaurant was located in a cellar. It was a warm, cute and nice place. The soft light makes the place relaxing.
    Waiters were not very helpful, but not very insistent, neither.
    We had a delicious meal and a good rest there. Their portions were huge, I couldn’t finish my goulash. We wanted a winter salad and realized that it was only pickled pepper. (In my country, a winter salad contains fresh winter vegetables as carrot, radish, lettuce…)
    I definitely recommend Fatal Restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Goulash

• marica's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: It's o.k. to walk out!

by marica Updated Oct 17, 2006

Good: the food & portions. See other reviews.

Bad: Pushy & they cheat both tourists & Hungarians.

We have visited Budapest once a year (or more) for the last 8-9 years. Our host has always taken us (at least once/year) to Fatal. On more than one occassion, and admittedly after palinka, beer and wine, our host, a native Budapestian from the university (read: not easily pushed around) has received a check that was absolutely incorrect.

This past week my husband and I (pretty savvy to tourist trap stuff) entered, asked for smoking section, were told they would only serve us if we were out by 9pm (it was about 7). O.k.-- the food is worth it. Then were told we could not order just one very large entry, we could not order soup and a very large antry (even though we had already placed a drink order of some size).

"The head waiter will not allow me to serve you unless you order more."

Guess what? We know other great restaruants.

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO JUST GET UP AND WALK OUT! The folk you are passing on your way out may wish they had done the same when they see their inflated bill.

Do not be fooled by the seemingly cheap prices if you are a novice to the Vaci area restaurant practices.

• mingul's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Tasty Hungarian food even if in a touristic area

by mingul Written Apr 27, 2009

Rustic ambience in a basement restaurant. There is a good selection of dishes most of them Hungarian. Do not forget to ask them about bringing the paprika so that you can spice up your dishes. The dishes are packed with big amounts of meat so there is a great chance that you will not finish your meal. However they will kindly offer take away boxes so that you can enjoy your meal even later.

Favorite Dish: I believe 90% of the dishes are worth ordering. Hungarian cuisine is very good. Not reccomended for dietists and vegetarians!

• violetnon's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Delicious and huge dishes!

by violetnon Written Apr 23, 2006

If you are so hungry and want to have an experience of Hungarian kitchen, go directly to Fatal. We did so!

I was so curious with my two friends about Hungarian cousine and I can say I was enough full while leaving from Fatal. They have amazingly huge plates. Although I thought I can't finish my meal, there was nothing left:)

And also I should add that the price is highly convenient for students or limited-budget travelers.

Favorite Dish: I had heard the main dish of Hungary was "goulash". In Fatal, I tried it. It was delicious, spicy tasty, and huge:)

I also ordered cucamber salad with yogurt, however there was sugar on yogurt, I didn't like it so much...

• leostarico's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Great food but poor service

by leostarico Written Sep 3, 2007

I have gone to Fatal several times. The food is absolutely fabulous and the portions are huge!
    SERVICE (if you are looking for friendly waiters...forget it!). These may be the most unfriendly waiters I have ever seen...also please note that the access to the restaurant is not good for people with walking disabilities. Long and steep stairs down!

• WillieGib's Profile Photo

Fatal Restaurant: Do Not Walk Past This Restaurant

by WillieGib Written Feb 28, 2007

A First Class Traditional Hungarian Restaurant serving Excellent food with great service and unbelievable prices...Please do not walk past...!!!!! Enjoy the service and food..and when the bill arrives you will not believe what you see!!

Favorite Dish: A Hungarian mixed grill served in its own cooking pot....and Do not forget the Goulash!!

• FATAL RESTAURANT: Worst restaurant in Budapest

by clod69 Updated Apr 6, 2009

This restaurant is placed near the commercial street Vaci Utca. The restaurant is full of tourist and even the food is prepared to fill the stomachs of tourists with food of low quality. The environment is noisy and the waiters rude and hurried. At the end of the evening you did not spent much but the food has met there. If you are looking for a real Hungarian restaurant please search another place.

Instant Answers: Budapest