Gerbeaud, Budapest

Hungarian pork stew at Gerbeaud Cafe
    by Jefie
  • Gerbeaud House: Where the cakes is more expensive than Foie Gras

by tan1415 Updated May 28, 2014

This place is gorgeous. Quite expensive. But for western european tourists...quite a steal. Just imagine this place in Paris or Vienna.

Because of a lack of time...I went in and asked for takeaway.
    People recommend the Foie Gras pate here. And I have to second that. Simply sublime. Because I was taking it out...I was charged 2200ft for about 100grams of Foie gras. IT'S A STEAL. So delicious with still a good taste of the foie gras.They packed it in vacuum plastic and in one of the sturdy boxes. I regret not buying more.

I also bought some cakes here. Takeaway you get 50% discount. Whats quite shocking to me...cakes here cost the same as a foie gras!!!! Incredible. The cake was delicious. We had the Royal Chocolate cake. It taste a bit like ferero roche. The hungarians really love and know how to prepare chocolate.

So this place is a must try...even if you cant or dont want to pay and eat there.Take away is a great option. And if you love Foie Gras. I ate at Tigris. And this is better. Unbeatable at 2200ft for 100gr. Thats less than 8€ folks.

Favorite Dish: The foie Gras was delicious. incredible price quality.
    It's much better than what you buy in cans.
    The cakes was expensive..but quite tastefull.

• ophiro's Profile Photo

Gerbaud: Luxury Coffee

by ophiro Written Apr 10, 2013

Gerbaud is a famous place in Budapest - great coffee , excellent cakes and chocolate.

The place is very beautiful , the service is excellent and of course the food is very good.
    This place , of course , is not cheap as other places in Budapest but still it is worth the money just for the experience.

Favorite Dish: I ordered coffee with cream and whiskey and it was great.

• Luxury Travel

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud: More than a bakery

by Jefie Updated Nov 12, 2012

Gerbeaud Cafe is one of Budapest's most famous bakeries. Established in 1858 and relocated in 1870 in a beautiful building on Vörösmarty Square, it immediately seduced the city with its selection of French pastries and lavish Parisian ambience. Throughout the years, care was always taken to preserve its historic appeal and atmosphere as the cafe changed owners. Cafe Gerbeaud is also home to a pub that offers wide selection of local specialties at a reasonable price, and in the summertime these can be enjoyed out on the terrace. We sampled the green pea cream soup and pork stew, and both were delicious, as was the local beer!

Hungarian pork stew at Gerbeaud Cafe Getting ready to enjoy my first Hungarian meal Gerbeaud Cafe on V��r��smarty Square

• Turska's Profile Photo

Cafe Gerbeaud: Worst service ever

by Turska Written Aug 28, 2012

This place is in every book, so we did also went there (it was at 2004, I just didn´t write this back then). They had delicious looking cakes and everything seemed fine so far. But we had never had so poor service in Hungary as we did then. It took ages to get a weither, and she came she was not friendly at all, and when we got our orders we allmost left without paying, since it took 30min after we had finished to get her back to our table. And all the time there was people waiting to get a table, wouldn´t it be best to get us out, when we tried everything to get the bill. When she got the payment, she said "the tip is not included". My husband said: Yes, I know! But he didn´t give any tip-why would he? We never came back, even if my husband loves cakes, and we stayed two weeks. There was plenty of better cafes with friendlier service, as good cakes and even cheaper.
    Now we are going back to Budapest and heard that they do brew their own beer. That sounds interesting, but I´m not sure if we want to visit this place even as a beer lover.
    People say it is beautyful cafe, we dislike all that goldish style, so even that didn´t make us like it.
    It was our wedding anniversary and we hoped we would have choosed some other place instead. Some places witch had word Europe in their name had great and cheap cakes, even if the cafes weren´t looking anything special. Can´t remeber the whole name.

Favorite Dish: The cakes weren´t any better than in any other place.

• Beer Tasting

• hungariangirl896's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud House: A Classic Hungarian Institution

by hungariangirl896 Written Aug 21, 2012

Gerbeaud is a place you must try once. Although it is most famous for its pastry, cakes, and coffee, they also run a pub, restaurant, and ice cream stand. Gerbeaud dates from 1858 and is extremely elegant and grand in appearance. Although it can be a bit touristy at times and it's a little more expensive than other places, the cake, food, or coffee will never disappoint. Cakes to be sampled include Dobos, Esterhazy, Sacher, apple, and blueberry poppyseed. The Gerbeaud of course has their own signature cake, the Gerbeaud slice ("zserbo szelet" in Hungarian). The Onyx restaurant serves dishes such as caviar, goose liver, veal tenderloin, poached oysters, blackened goat cheese with walnut praline, and hazelnut raspberry cake. The coffeehouse is so fancy and elegant. The service is also really great. In a way, to experience Gerbeaud is to experience Budapest. :)

Favorite Dish: My favorite cake is the Dobos... a classic Hungarian cake with chocolate cream and a piece of crunchy caramel on top. To drink, I recommend simple coffee with milk or (on a hot day) the iced coffee with vanilla ice cream.

Salami sandwich Truffel cake Gerbeaud sweets Sacher and Dobos cakes Apple cake and coffee

• Gerbaud Cafe: Great food, overpriced

by RPD3435 Written Nov 13, 2011

Food was wonderful, great atmosphere, perfect place to people watch. Wait staff was friendly and very polite. The pastries and coffee is all that you can expect, except way over priced. But if you have never been, I recommend it at least once.

Favorite Dish: Strawberry cheesecake and cappucino.

• didier06's Profile Photo

GERBEAUD: Disappointment

by didier06 Written Sep 17, 2011

We wanted to go to this legendary tearoom, the scenery is rather good impression of chic style, very quickly we had the sensation to be in a tourist trap, the staff wasn't friendly, the pastries were dry and bland, and the price too expensive. Ultimately a real disappointment.

Buying some chocolates

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud Sorhaz (Beerhouse): Good But Missing Something!

by johngayton Updated Jan 31, 2011

Gerbeaud is undeniably Budapest's classiest restaurant building. As well as its world-famous confectioners' and cafe the house also hosts a classy restaurant (Onyx), a gift shop, several private dining salons and a pub in its basement.

It was the pub that caught my eye when reading one of the listings magazines with my welcoming "Champagne" at the Mamaison Andrassy and the article promised an informal dining experience in a lively brewpub patronised by local characters.

Well it was relatively informal but...

OK a Monday night in January is probably not the best time to look for the lively local characters and apart from myself there was only a couple of other tables occupied, each of which was being patronised by English speakers.

The pub was certainly welcoming and with its long bar and brewery paraphenalia looks the part. Service was spot-on, friendly and professional, the food was good, the house beer nicely chilled and flavoursome and despite being in the basement the dining room was spacious and classy.

Favorite Dish: My "Beef Goulash with spicy Debreceni Sausage and Parsley Potatoes" was exactly what I'd expected. A rich, warming stew with melt-in-the-mouth chunks of meat zinged by the spicy sausage and the generous portion of potatoes up to the task of mopping up the gravy. The house beer, which I don't think they brew themselves, perfectly drinkable and even the 5,100 HUF bill (which BTW included a 15% service charge) more than reasonable considering this is the Gerbeaud.

However there was just no atmosphere and so I ate, drank, paid and left (and it being non-smoking didn't help!).

My Tasty Goulash Stunning Building (Metro is in front) Sorhaz Entrance
    • Beer Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• Delia_Madalina's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud: Famous for a good reason

by Delia_Madalina Updated Nov 6, 2010

Often "condemned" for being too touristic, Gerbeaud makes up for it with its history, wonderful interior, delicious cakes and chocolates and great gifts to take to the loved ones.

It's lively place, with a mixed local-tourist crowd, a bit noisy after 111 but I guess it's the perfect place for an early coffee.

Under the same roof there's also a restaurant, Onyx, which I didn't visit.

Some information from the history book:
    The cafe is decorated with rococo plaster work in Louis XV style,; the chandeliers and wall lamps in Maria Theresa style.

A bit of history:
    The first cafe was opened in Josez nador Square in 1858 by Henrik Kulger, the 3rd descendant of a confectionery family. In 879 it was moved to Vorosmarty Square.

Prices:
    A delicious Cafe Late was only 3 Euros.
    A tiramisu 6 Euros.

Favorite Dish: My favorites were the gifts bought: mini cookies for 1490 Forints (aprox. 6 Euro) and Eszter chocolates for 1900 Forints (approximately 8 Euro).

Gerbeaud logo Gerbaud Interior

• german_eagle's Profile Photo

Cafe Gerbeaud

by german_eagle Written Mar 28, 2010

The Gerbeaud is a typical Viennese style coffeehouse, one of those with the longest tradition in Europe. It is named after Emile Gerbeaud from Geneva who bought it in 1908 and created the most wonderful fancy cakes.

The interior is nostalgic, traditional, elegant. Service was friendly, quick and attentive (unlike reported in guide books). If you're interested in feeling the vibrations of the trams running by then get a table in the room to the right by the window ;-)

Favorite Dish: I ordered the famous Dobos torta and a coffee which came with a glass of water - perfect. Both coffee and fancy cake were delicious. Prices are quite expensive not only for Hungary: the cake was HUF 850 e.g. Please note that the check comes with a service charge of 15% - so no tip is necessary.

Cafe Gerbeaud interior interior interior Dobos Torta and coffee

• Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

Gerbeauld: Our first taste of Budapest

by Flying.Scotsman Written Sep 27, 2009

We had just arrived in Budapest and asked the girl at the desk of our hotel where to go for coffee and cake. She recommended Gerbeauld without hesitation. The atmosphere is very grand and elegant; the cakes were delicious;. the architecture and decor are beautiful. The clientele were a mix of tourists and local people. This coffeehouse is considered one of the great traditional coffee houses in Europe. We paid £11 for 2 pieces of gateaux and 2 cups of coffee, which is expensive for Budapest. But the experience is well worth at least one visit.

Favorite Dish: The choice of cakes and gateaux is excellent. Take a seat and relax and drink in the atmosphere.

• Gerbaud: Only for tourists!

by drszaszpeter Written Aug 22, 2009

If you want to go to a real tourist place, go to Gerbaud house, it some awful cake and never want to go back. If you want to go where the locals go, and have some really good cake and coffee, go to Auguszt cukrászda! You will go back every day of your stay!

Favorite Dish: Kremes, E-80 cake, (made for the 80th birthday of grandfather of the owner)

Auguszt cukr��szda, Budapest Auguszt interior, beautiful Auguszt cafe, Budapest

• ozalp's Profile Photo

Café Gerbeaud: It had better times

by ozalp Written Mar 11, 2008

This place was on my mind before my visit. I was saying to myself that I had to visit some of these old café houses.
    There is a feeling you can experience in old café houses, like you have lived another life and been there in the golden ages. You can easily make up some “new” memories for you to believe. I enjoyed that feeling in Gerbeaud.
    It was our first night in the city. We passed through Vörösmarty and had a boat trip in Danube, returned to the square and had some mulled wine. Then we had some herbal tea in Gerbeaud. I was a little bit drunk because of the beverages and beauty of Danube. This situation helped me a lot about imagining.
    I drank some tea and hot chocolate, if I am right. Their service was good. I wish I could taste some of their pastries, but I was always so full because of the Christmas Fair.
    It also has a restaurant section which I haven’t visited.

Favorite Dish: Hot beverages

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud House: Wow...

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 28, 2008

I normally will stay away from a place that is "too touristy" or "too known". I like to venture and explore restaurants which are frequented by locals more than anything, but I happen to be in the vicinty and decided to see what this famous landmark restaurant/pastry shop was all about and why all the fan fare.

The ambiance is what makes this place so unique along with their heavenly pastries. I can see why it is so famous. Feels like you’ve stepped back into the “Renaissance” era.

Prices are pretty high, but that is to be expected with a place as famous as this. Its well worth visiting at least once for the experience.

Favorite Dish: The pastries are really heavenly. Luckily I write everything in my journal, so I took a look at my notes and impressions and the name of the piece of cake I enjoyed is called a "Creme"...so yummy!!! And, I had to have my cafe latte to go with this delicious dessert.

My cafe latte and piece of The interior Heavenly pastries My choice, which seemed popular Exterior

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud Pub: A nice brewery

by muratkorman Written Oct 31, 2007

Many people come to Gerbeaud for having a dessert as this patisserie is well-known by everyone. However, few people know that there is a brewery in the cellar section of Gerbeaud House. The time that I discovered, it wasn't publicized much, but I am sure now it has become a popular spot. As you are in the cellar, there is no view to outside. This is not that important when you taste the brewed beer in this pub and eat something to go with it. Lots of appetizers and main courses are available, all in good quality. This is a silent and peaceful place for enjoying beer and food with friends.

Favorite Dish: Long sausage with horseradish
    Gerbeaud home-brewed beer

A real brewery Comfortable atmosphere Nice tables

Instant Answers: Budapest

Comments

Hotels Near Gerbeaud