Gerbeaud, Budapest

by Jefie
  • MalenaN's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud House: Gerbeaud

by MalenaN Updated Mar 10, 2006

I thought that Gerbeaud was going to be a touristy caf? as it is mentioned in so many guidebooks as the most famous caf? in Budapest, a caf? which has been a meeting place for the elite in Pest since 1858. But the morning I was there there were only a few other customers there and they spoke Hungarian.

I only had a hot chocolate, but it was delicious and thick. A hot chocolate is 650 ft (March 2006) and whipped cream costs extra. An extra 12% is added to the bill for service.

I liked the big rooms, high in ceiling and the big windows towards the square, and the sunlight coming in.

In Gerbeaud

• german_eagle's Profile Photo

Cafe Gerbeaud

by german_eagle Written Mar 28, 2010

The Gerbeaud is a typical Viennese style coffeehouse, one of those with the longest tradition in Europe. It is named after Emile Gerbeaud from Geneva who bought it in 1908 and created the most wonderful fancy cakes.

The interior is nostalgic, traditional, elegant. Service was friendly, quick and attentive (unlike reported in guide books). If you're interested in feeling the vibrations of the trams running by then get a table in the room to the right by the window ;-)

Favorite Dish: I ordered the famous Dobos torta and a coffee which came with a glass of water - perfect. Both coffee and fancy cake were delicious. Prices are quite expensive not only for Hungary: the cake was HUF 850 e.g. Please note that the check comes with a service charge of 15% - so no tip is necessary.

Cafe Gerbeaud interior interior interior Dobos Torta and coffee

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud House: Wow...

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 28, 2008

I normally will stay away from a place that is "too touristy" or "too known". I like to venture and explore restaurants which are frequented by locals more than anything, but I happen to be in the vicinty and decided to see what this famous landmark restaurant/pastry shop was all about and why all the fan fare.

The ambiance is what makes this place so unique along with their heavenly pastries. I can see why it is so famous. Feels like you’ve stepped back into the “Renaissance” era.

Prices are pretty high, but that is to be expected with a place as famous as this. Its well worth visiting at least once for the experience.

Favorite Dish: The pastries are really heavenly. Luckily I write everything in my journal, so I took a look at my notes and impressions and the name of the piece of cake I enjoyed is called a "Creme"...so yummy!!! And, I had to have my cafe latte to go with this delicious dessert.

My cafe latte and piece of The interior Heavenly pastries My choice, which seemed popular Exterior

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud House: World Famous Cafe-Confectionery ( 2 photos )

by nicolaitan Updated Nov 25, 2006

The legendary Gerbeaud House traces its origins to 1858 and one Henrik Kugler, a member of a dynasty of cavity-inducing confectioners. His business settled on ter Vorosmarty in 1870 and rapidly became a meeting point for the cultured of central Europe. Emil Gerbeaud of Paris was added as a partner in 1883 and created a legend. His baked goods and candy products were beautiful as well as delicious. The interior decor was designed by Henrik Darilek over several years after 1910 using wood, marble, and bronze in an eclectic and very opulent deco style. For many years after Gerbeaud's death in 1989, the cafe languished and was even named Vorosmarty for some years. In 1995 a German businessman, Erwin Muller took ownership and renovated the cafe to its former glory as we see it today. The wooden panelling, marble tables, and chandeliers are stated to be in the past. The cafe not only offers the famous cakes and pastries, chocolates, and candies of the past, but has a formal restaurant and less formal bistro. However, the place to be is the outside tables on the square. We never saw a single person in the fancy restaurant. Interestingly, a wedding service is available.

Favorite Dish: As Gerbeaud was very near our hotel and adjacent our metro stop we visited several times. Sadly, we found the service staff unfriendly and uninterested. And frankly, we were not exactly blown away by the pastry offerings or the legendary coffee either. Gerbeaud is certainly better than many pastry cafes, but it is not even the best in Budapest (see Ruszworm below). Many of these problems may reflect the state-ownership of Gerbeaud, no longer a private enterprise.

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud: More than a bakery

by Jefie Updated Nov 12, 2012

Gerbeaud Cafe is one of Budapest's most famous bakeries. Established in 1858 and relocated in 1870 in a beautiful building on Vörösmarty Square, it immediately seduced the city with its selection of French pastries and lavish Parisian ambience. Throughout the years, care was always taken to preserve its historic appeal and atmosphere as the cafe changed owners. Cafe Gerbeaud is also home to a pub that offers wide selection of local specialties at a reasonable price, and in the summertime these can be enjoyed out on the terrace. We sampled the green pea cream soup and pork stew, and both were delicious, as was the local beer!

Hungarian pork stew at Gerbeaud Cafe Getting ready to enjoy my first Hungarian meal Gerbeaud Cafe on V��r��smarty Square

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud Pub: A nice brewery

by muratkorman Written Oct 31, 2007

Many people come to Gerbeaud for having a dessert as this patisserie is well-known by everyone. However, few people know that there is a brewery in the cellar section of Gerbeaud House. The time that I discovered, it wasn't publicized much, but I am sure now it has become a popular spot. As you are in the cellar, there is no view to outside. This is not that important when you taste the brewed beer in this pub and eat something to go with it. Lots of appetizers and main courses are available, all in good quality. This is a silent and peaceful place for enjoying beer and food with friends.

Favorite Dish: Long sausage with horseradish
    Gerbeaud home-brewed beer

A real brewery Comfortable atmosphere Nice tables

• miman's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud House: MMMM

by miman Updated Mar 21, 2007

Refinement is the operative word at Café Gerbaud. And sugar, too - this is one café where indulging one's sweet tooth is elevated to an art form. For here you'll find the finest range of pastries in the city. Desserts figured prominently from the outset, as one of the first owners was a Swiss confectioner. In fact, Emile Gerbaud invented the Hungarian specialty known as konyakos meggy, dark chocolate with a cognac-soaked sour cherry in the center. Gerbaud is big and always busy, so try to secure a table in the quieter vaulted section to the right of the long, central pastry counter.

Favorite Dish: Esterhazy cake.

• tpk2's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud House: A must-visit cafe

by tpk2 Written Dec 18, 2006

Located at the end of the main shopping street on Vörösmarty Square, Gerberaud is a Budapest institution. Established in 1858, it’s the oldest café in Europe. This 330 seat kávéház is a perfect spot for enjoying a cup of coffee and a piece of cake while chatting or reading a newspaper.

Gerberaud is open 9-21 every day.

Favorite Dish: Esterházy and Dobos cakes are among the most famous specialities.

• straehle's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud House: Giant Pretzels with every meal

by straehle Updated Feb 22, 2007

This is an outdoor cafe adjacent to and part of Gerbeaud. We ate a lunch and then a dinner there. The food was good, plenty, and reasonable. The restaurant is right on the square and you can watch the strollers and the sidewalk musicians while you eat.

Sidewalk Cafe on the Square and the Danube My wife with Giant Pretzels Gerbeaud at Night

• Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

Gerbeauld: Our first taste of Budapest

by Flying.Scotsman Written Sep 27, 2009

We had just arrived in Budapest and asked the girl at the desk of our hotel where to go for coffee and cake. She recommended Gerbeauld without hesitation. The atmosphere is very grand and elegant; the cakes were delicious;. the architecture and decor are beautiful. The clientele were a mix of tourists and local people. This coffeehouse is considered one of the great traditional coffee houses in Europe. We paid £11 for 2 pieces of gateaux and 2 cups of coffee, which is expensive for Budapest. But the experience is well worth at least one visit.

Favorite Dish: The choice of cakes and gateaux is excellent. Take a seat and relax and drink in the atmosphere.

• ozalp's Profile Photo

Café Gerbeaud: It had better times

by ozalp Written Mar 11, 2008

This place was on my mind before my visit. I was saying to myself that I had to visit some of these old café houses.
    There is a feeling you can experience in old café houses, like you have lived another life and been there in the golden ages. You can easily make up some “new” memories for you to believe. I enjoyed that feeling in Gerbeaud.
    It was our first night in the city. We passed through Vörösmarty and had a boat trip in Danube, returned to the square and had some mulled wine. Then we had some herbal tea in Gerbeaud. I was a little bit drunk because of the beverages and beauty of Danube. This situation helped me a lot about imagining.
    I drank some tea and hot chocolate, if I am right. Their service was good. I wish I could taste some of their pastries, but I was always so full because of the Christmas Fair.
    It also has a restaurant section which I haven’t visited.

Favorite Dish: Hot beverages

• metallemon's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud House: Old and fabulous cafe

by metallemon Written Dec 12, 2006

It’s the most known Hungarian café at Vorosmarty ter. And it’s also the oldest café in Budapest. It’s built at 19th century and until today it holds this old style. It offers a great variety of delicious cakes and different kind of coffees. The place is separated to a café and a restaurant. It’s a must-visit place and I’m sure that you are going to be impressed by the interior.

Favorite Dish: I liked more the cakes because it was delicious and fresh and I also liked the variety of coffees, especially one cold coffee with caramel syrup and cream.

• hungariangirl896's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud House: A Classic Hungarian Institution

by hungariangirl896 Written Aug 21, 2012

Gerbeaud is a place you must try once. Although it is most famous for its pastry, cakes, and coffee, they also run a pub, restaurant, and ice cream stand. Gerbeaud dates from 1858 and is extremely elegant and grand in appearance. Although it can be a bit touristy at times and it's a little more expensive than other places, the cake, food, or coffee will never disappoint. Cakes to be sampled include Dobos, Esterhazy, Sacher, apple, and blueberry poppyseed. The Gerbeaud of course has their own signature cake, the Gerbeaud slice ("zserbo szelet" in Hungarian). The Onyx restaurant serves dishes such as caviar, goose liver, veal tenderloin, poached oysters, blackened goat cheese with walnut praline, and hazelnut raspberry cake. The coffeehouse is so fancy and elegant. The service is also really great. In a way, to experience Gerbeaud is to experience Budapest. :)

Favorite Dish: My favorite cake is the Dobos... a classic Hungarian cake with chocolate cream and a piece of crunchy caramel on top. To drink, I recommend simple coffee with milk or (on a hot day) the iced coffee with vanilla ice cream.

Salami sandwich Truffel cake Gerbeaud sweets Sacher and Dobos cakes Apple cake and coffee

• Delia_Madalina's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud: Famous for a good reason

by Delia_Madalina Updated Nov 6, 2010

Often "condemned" for being too touristic, Gerbeaud makes up for it with its history, wonderful interior, delicious cakes and chocolates and great gifts to take to the loved ones.

It's lively place, with a mixed local-tourist crowd, a bit noisy after 111 but I guess it's the perfect place for an early coffee.

Under the same roof there's also a restaurant, Onyx, which I didn't visit.

Some information from the history book:
    The cafe is decorated with rococo plaster work in Louis XV style,; the chandeliers and wall lamps in Maria Theresa style.

A bit of history:
    The first cafe was opened in Josez nador Square in 1858 by Henrik Kulger, the 3rd descendant of a confectionery family. In 879 it was moved to Vorosmarty Square.

Prices:
    A delicious Cafe Late was only 3 Euros.
    A tiramisu 6 Euros.

Favorite Dish: My favorites were the gifts bought: mini cookies for 1490 Forints (aprox. 6 Euro) and Eszter chocolates for 1900 Forints (approximately 8 Euro).

Gerbeaud logo Gerbaud Interior

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud Sorhaz (Beerhouse): Good But Missing Something!

by johngayton Updated Jan 31, 2011

Gerbeaud is undeniably Budapest's classiest restaurant building. As well as its world-famous confectioners' and cafe the house also hosts a classy restaurant (Onyx), a gift shop, several private dining salons and a pub in its basement.

It was the pub that caught my eye when reading one of the listings magazines with my welcoming "Champagne" at the Mamaison Andrassy and the article promised an informal dining experience in a lively brewpub patronised by local characters.

Well it was relatively informal but...

OK a Monday night in January is probably not the best time to look for the lively local characters and apart from myself there was only a couple of other tables occupied, each of which was being patronised by English speakers.

The pub was certainly welcoming and with its long bar and brewery paraphenalia looks the part. Service was spot-on, friendly and professional, the food was good, the house beer nicely chilled and flavoursome and despite being in the basement the dining room was spacious and classy.

Favorite Dish: My "Beef Goulash with spicy Debreceni Sausage and Parsley Potatoes" was exactly what I'd expected. A rich, warming stew with melt-in-the-mouth chunks of meat zinged by the spicy sausage and the generous portion of potatoes up to the task of mopping up the gravy. The house beer, which I don't think they brew themselves, perfectly drinkable and even the 5,100 HUF bill (which BTW included a 15% service charge) more than reasonable considering this is the Gerbeaud.

However there was just no atmosphere and so I ate, drank, paid and left (and it being non-smoking didn't help!).

My Tasty Goulash Stunning Building (Metro is in front) Sorhaz Entrance
    • Beer Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

Instant Answers: Budapest

Comments

Hotels Near Gerbeaud