Gerbeaud House, Budapest

by didier06
    Hungarian pork stew at Gerbeaud Cafe
    by Jefie
  • Getting ready to enjoy my first Hungarian meal
    Getting ready to enjoy my first...
    by Jefie
  • ophiro's Profile Photo

Gerbaud: Luxury Coffee

by ophiro Written Apr 10, 2013

Gerbaud is a famous place in Budapest - great coffee , excellent cakes and chocolate.

The place is very beautiful , the service is excellent and of course the food is very good.
    This place , of course , is not cheap as other places in Budapest but still it is worth the money just for the experience.

Favorite Dish: I ordered coffee with cream and whiskey and it was great.

• Luxury Travel

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud: More than a bakery

by Jefie Updated Nov 12, 2012

Hungarian pork stew at Gerbeaud Cafe

Gerbeaud Cafe is one of Budapest's most famous bakeries. Established in 1858 and relocated in 1870 in a beautiful building on Vörösmarty Square, it immediately seduced the city with its selection of French pastries and lavish Parisian ambience. Throughout the years, care was always taken to preserve its historic appeal and atmosphere as the cafe changed owners. Cafe Gerbeaud is also home to a pub that offers wide selection of local specialties at a reasonable price, and in the summertime these can be enjoyed out on the terrace. We sampled the green pea cream soup and pork stew, and both were delicious, as was the local beer!

• Turska's Profile Photo

Cafe Gerbeaud: Worst service ever

by Turska Written Aug 28, 2012

This place is in every book, so we did also went there (it was at 2004, I just didn´t write this back then). They had delicious looking cakes and everything seemed fine so far. But we had never had so poor service in Hungary as we did then. It took ages to get a weither, and she came she was not friendly at all, and when we got our orders we allmost left without paying, since it took 30min after we had finished to get her back to our table. And all the time there was people waiting to get a table, wouldn´t it be best to get us out, when we tried everything to get the bill. When she got the payment, she said "the tip is not included". My husband said: Yes, I know! But he didn´t give any tip-why would he? We never came back, even if my husband loves cakes, and we stayed two weeks. There was plenty of better cafes with friendlier service, as good cakes and even cheaper.
    Now we are going back to Budapest and heard that they do brew their own beer. That sounds interesting, but I´m not sure if we want to visit this place even as a beer lover.
    People say it is beautyful cafe, we dislike all that goldish style, so even that didn´t make us like it.
    It was our wedding anniversary and we hoped we would have choosed some other place instead. Some places witch had word Europe in their name had great and cheap cakes, even if the cafes weren´t looking anything special. Can´t remeber the whole name.

Favorite Dish: The cakes weren´t any better than in any other place.

• Beer Tasting

• hungariangirl896's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud House: A Classic Hungarian Institution

by hungariangirl896 Written Aug 21, 2012

Salami sandwich

Gerbeaud is a place you must try once. Although it is most famous for its pastry, cakes, and coffee, they also run a pub, restaurant, and ice cream stand. Gerbeaud dates from 1858 and is extremely elegant and grand in appearance. Although it can be a bit touristy at times and it's a little more expensive than other places, the cake, food, or coffee will never disappoint. Cakes to be sampled include Dobos, Esterhazy, Sacher, apple, and blueberry poppyseed. The Gerbeaud of course has their own signature cake, the Gerbeaud slice ("zserbo szelet" in Hungarian). The Onyx restaurant serves dishes such as caviar, goose liver, veal tenderloin, poached oysters, blackened goat cheese with walnut praline, and hazelnut raspberry cake. The coffeehouse is so fancy and elegant. The service is also really great. In a way, to experience Gerbeaud is to experience Budapest. :)

Favorite Dish: My favorite cake is the Dobos... a classic Hungarian cake with chocolate cream and a piece of crunchy caramel on top. To drink, I recommend simple coffee with milk or (on a hot day) the iced coffee with vanilla ice cream.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud: Ice-cream at Gerbeaud

by croisbeauty Updated Nov 14, 2011

Gerbeaud ice-cream

The quality of Hungarian ice-cream is very good, but the quality of Gerbeaud ice-cream is superb and the variaty of the offer is just spectacular - see the picture. There are some other VTers on the picture who could confirm my statment.

Favorite Dish: Do not miss it when visiting Budapest, regardless is it winter or summer time.

• Gerbaud Cafe: Great food, overpriced

by RPD3435 Written Nov 13, 2011

Food was wonderful, great atmosphere, perfect place to people watch. Wait staff was friendly and very polite. The pastries and coffee is all that you can expect, except way over priced. But if you have never been, I recommend it at least once.

Favorite Dish: Strawberry cheesecake and cappucino.

• didier06's Profile Photo

GERBEAUD: Disappointment

by didier06 Written Sep 17, 2011
    Buying some chocolates

We wanted to go to this legendary tearoom, the scenery is rather good impression of chic style, very quickly we had the sensation to be in a tourist trap, the staff wasn't friendly, the pastries were dry and bland, and the price too expensive. Ultimately a real disappointment.

• janika's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud Cukraszda: You must have Hungarian desserts!

by janika Updated Apr 4, 2011

Gerbeaud

Desserts: This is my other favorite part in Hungary. The desserts have taste!
    They actually have flavor instead of just sugary icing like donuts. You can not compare European desserts to North Americans. You just can not.

Favorite Dish: A few of the desserts you have to try.

#1 Krémes,
    17 Rétes
    18 Bukta
    19 Kakaós tekercs
    20 Kürtös kalács

You also have to try Palacsinta. It is a pancake like dessert (crepe). It is thinner and softer though. They roll it up for you with cinnamon or chocolate sirup. Also very popular with cottage cheese mixed with vanilla and raisins. There are a lot of places where you can seat down and have an expresso with dessert, called Cukrászda.

• Delia_Madalina's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud: Famous for a good reason

by Delia_Madalina Updated Nov 6, 2010

Gerbeaud logo

Often "condemned" for being too touristic, Gerbeaud makes up for it with its history, wonderful interior, delicious cakes and chocolates and great gifts to take to the loved ones.

It's lively place, with a mixed local-tourist crowd, a bit noisy after 111 but I guess it's the perfect place for an early coffee.

Under the same roof there's also a restaurant, Onyx, which I didn't visit.

Some information from the history book:
    The cafe is decorated with rococo plaster work in Louis XV style,; the chandeliers and wall lamps in Maria Theresa style.

A bit of history:
    The first cafe was opened in Josez nador Square in 1858 by Henrik Kulger, the 3rd descendant of a confectionery family. In 879 it was moved to Vorosmarty Square.

Prices:
    A delicious Cafe Late was only 3 Euros.
    A tiramisu 6 Euros.

Favorite Dish: My favorites were the gifts bought: mini cookies for 1490 Forints (aprox. 6 Euro) and Eszter chocolates for 1900 Forints (approximately 8 Euro).

• german_eagle's Profile Photo

Cafe Gerbeaud

by german_eagle Written Mar 28, 2010

Cafe Gerbeaud

The Gerbeaud is a typical Viennese style coffeehouse, one of those with the longest tradition in Europe. It is named after Emile Gerbeaud from Geneva who bought it in 1908 and created the most wonderful fancy cakes.

The interior is nostalgic, traditional, elegant. Service was friendly, quick and attentive (unlike reported in guide books). If you're interested in feeling the vibrations of the trams running by then get a table in the room to the right by the window ;-)

Favorite Dish: I ordered the famous Dobos torta and a coffee which came with a glass of water - perfect. Both coffee and fancy cake were delicious. Prices are quite expensive not only for Hungary: the cake was HUF 850 e.g. Please note that the check comes with a service charge of 15% - so no tip is necessary.

• Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

Gerbeauld: Our first taste of Budapest

by Flying.Scotsman Written Sep 27, 2009

We had just arrived in Budapest and asked the girl at the desk of our hotel where to go for coffee and cake. She recommended Gerbeauld without hesitation. The atmosphere is very grand and elegant; the cakes were delicious;. the architecture and decor are beautiful. The clientele were a mix of tourists and local people. This coffeehouse is considered one of the great traditional coffee houses in Europe. We paid £11 for 2 pieces of gateaux and 2 cups of coffee, which is expensive for Budapest. But the experience is well worth at least one visit.

Favorite Dish: The choice of cakes and gateaux is excellent. Take a seat and relax and drink in the atmosphere.

• Gerbaud: Only for tourists!

by drszaszpeter Written Aug 22, 2009

Auguszt cukr��szda, Budapest

If you want to go to a real tourist place, go to Gerbaud house, it some awful cake and never want to go back. If you want to go where the locals go, and have some really good cake and coffee, go to Auguszt cukrászda! You will go back every day of your stay!

Favorite Dish: Kremes, E-80 cake, (made for the 80th birthday of grandfather of the owner)

• ozalp's Profile Photo

Café Gerbeaud: It had better times

by ozalp Written Mar 11, 2008

This place was on my mind before my visit. I was saying to myself that I had to visit some of these old café houses.
    There is a feeling you can experience in old café houses, like you have lived another life and been there in the golden ages. You can easily make up some “new” memories for you to believe. I enjoyed that feeling in Gerbeaud.
    It was our first night in the city. We passed through Vörösmarty and had a boat trip in Danube, returned to the square and had some mulled wine. Then we had some herbal tea in Gerbeaud. I was a little bit drunk because of the beverages and beauty of Danube. This situation helped me a lot about imagining.
    I drank some tea and hot chocolate, if I am right. Their service was good. I wish I could taste some of their pastries, but I was always so full because of the Christmas Fair.
    It also has a restaurant section which I haven’t visited.

Favorite Dish: Hot beverages

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud House: Wow...

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 28, 2008

My cafe latte and piece of

I normally will stay away from a place that is "too touristy" or "too known". I like to venture and explore restaurants which are frequented by locals more than anything, but I happen to be in the vicinty and decided to see what this famous landmark restaurant/pastry shop was all about and why all the fan fare.

The ambiance is what makes this place so unique along with their heavenly pastries. I can see why it is so famous. Feels like you’ve stepped back into the “Renaissance” era.

Prices are pretty high, but that is to be expected with a place as famous as this. Its well worth visiting at least once for the experience.

Favorite Dish: The pastries are really heavenly. Luckily I write everything in my journal, so I took a look at my notes and impressions and the name of the piece of cake I enjoyed is called a "Creme"...so yummy!!! And, I had to have my cafe latte to go with this delicious dessert.

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud Pub: A nice brewery

by muratkorman Written Oct 31, 2007

A real brewery

Many people come to Gerbeaud for having a dessert as this patisserie is well-known by everyone. However, few people know that there is a brewery in the cellar section of Gerbeaud House. The time that I discovered, it wasn't publicized much, but I am sure now it has become a popular spot. As you are in the cellar, there is no view to outside. This is not that important when you taste the brewed beer in this pub and eat something to go with it. Lots of appetizers and main courses are available, all in good quality. This is a silent and peaceful place for enjoying beer and food with friends.

Favorite Dish: Long sausage with horseradish
    Gerbeaud home-brewed beer

Instant Answers: Budapest

Comments

Hotels Near Gerbeaud House
1108 Opinions