Gerbeaud House, Budapest

1052 Budapest, Vorosmarty ter 7. +36 1 429 9000

Buying some chocolates
    by didier06
  • Getting ready to enjoy my first Hungarian meal
    Getting ready to enjoy my first...
    by Jefie
    Gerbeaud Cafe on Vörösmarty Square
    by Jefie
  • Gerbeaud House: Gerbeaud

by grkboiler Written Nov 8, 2004

Cafe Gerbeaud

Gerbeaud is the most famous and also most touristy cafe in Budapest. It has been around since 1870 and has always been a favorite of the city's upper class citizens.

Desserts are of the finest quality, which means you will also pay the finest price for them. How about a banana split that costs about $8 US?

You really can't go wrong with any of the desserts, and the coffee is also very good.

• pili's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud Cafe: A great experience

by pili Updated Jun 13, 2004

Gerbeaud Cafe

Stop in at Café Gerbeaud in the heart of Budapest to experience one of the most traditional coffee houses in Europe. The legendary Gerbeaud was established in 1858. We visited Café Gerbeaud after an afternoon of wandering through the shops on Vaci utca. Café Gerbeaud is at the end of this pedestrian mall. Sit down and examine the menu, filled with wonderful pastrie.-

Hagan una parada en el Cafe Gerbeaud, en el centro de Budapest, una de las cafeterías más famosas del mundo. El legendario Gerbeaud se estableció en 1958. Nosotros llegamos al Café Gerbeaud una tarde, preguntando por la calle peatonal Vaci Utca. Café Gerbeaud está al final de esta calle peatonal. Siéntense y estudien el menú, repleto de maravillosa pastelería.

• chancay's Profile Photo

very traditional Coffee house: Don´t forget to take a coffee at Café Gerbeaud

by chancay Written Jan 7, 2003

very stylish, build in the 19th century (1858). This one is probably the most touristy coffee house, but the architecture is amazing. All around downtown Budapest you will find a lot of more coffe houses and restaurants in very special ambiances.

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud: More than a bakery

by Jefie Updated Nov 12, 2012

Hungarian pork stew at Gerbeaud Cafe

Gerbeaud Cafe is one of Budapest's most famous bakeries. Established in 1858 and relocated in 1870 in a beautiful building on Vörösmarty Square, it immediately seduced the city with its selection of French pastries and lavish Parisian ambience. Throughout the years, care was always taken to preserve its historic appeal and atmosphere as the cafe changed owners. Cafe Gerbeaud is also home to a pub that offers wide selection of local specialties at a reasonable price, and in the summertime these can be enjoyed out on the terrace. We sampled the green pea cream soup and pork stew, and both were delicious, as was the local beer!

• tpk2's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud House: A must-visit cafe

by tpk2 Written Dec 18, 2006

Located at the end of the main shopping street on Vörösmarty Square, Gerberaud is a Budapest institution. Established in 1858, it’s the oldest café in Europe. This 330 seat kávéház is a perfect spot for enjoying a cup of coffee and a piece of cake while chatting or reading a newspaper.

Gerberaud is open 9-21 every day.

Favorite Dish: Esterházy and Dobos cakes are among the most famous specialities.

• straehle's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud House: Giant Pretzels with every meal

by straehle Updated Feb 22, 2007

Sidewalk Cafe on the Square and the Danube

This is an outdoor cafe adjacent to and part of Gerbeaud. We ate a lunch and then a dinner there. The food was good, plenty, and reasonable. The restaurant is right on the square and you can watch the strollers and the sidewalk musicians while you eat.

• IngaA's Profile Photo

Gerbaud: Ancient sweet-bar in the very heart of Budapest

by IngaA Updated Nov 1, 2002

One of the oldest sweet-bars in Europe. Founded in the middle of XIXth century, it was owned by Swiss citizen Emil Gerbaud whis name it bears till now.
    Atmosphere is gentle and relaxed, like in the small restaurants about 100 years ago. Last time when we were there, it was the middle of September, the weather was nice and warm and we were sitting directly in the street near the sweet-bar, looking at the people and around and enjoying life.
    Today, Seprtember 25, 2002, I went to walk nearby again and I saw a fashion defile (poor models, it was cold and they were in evening dress). People were just staying in the street and looking. The defile ended by the common last passage accompanied by the wonderful Brams'es "Hungarian dance" which made people appload loudly.

Favorite Dish: A lot of cakes, sweet, pastries,, impossible to list
    and of course delicious wine :)))

• Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

Gerbeauld: Our first taste of Budapest

by Flying.Scotsman Written Sep 27, 2009

We had just arrived in Budapest and asked the girl at the desk of our hotel where to go for coffee and cake. She recommended Gerbeauld without hesitation. The atmosphere is very grand and elegant; the cakes were delicious;. the architecture and decor are beautiful. The clientele were a mix of tourists and local people. This coffeehouse is considered one of the great traditional coffee houses in Europe. We paid £11 for 2 pieces of gateaux and 2 cups of coffee, which is expensive for Budapest. But the experience is well worth at least one visit.

Favorite Dish: The choice of cakes and gateaux is excellent. Take a seat and relax and drink in the atmosphere.

• ozalp's Profile Photo

Café Gerbeaud: It had better times

by ozalp Written Mar 11, 2008

This place was on my mind before my visit. I was saying to myself that I had to visit some of these old café houses.
    There is a feeling you can experience in old café houses, like you have lived another life and been there in the golden ages. You can easily make up some “new” memories for you to believe. I enjoyed that feeling in Gerbeaud.
    It was our first night in the city. We passed through Vörösmarty and had a boat trip in Danube, returned to the square and had some mulled wine. Then we had some herbal tea in Gerbeaud. I was a little bit drunk because of the beverages and beauty of Danube. This situation helped me a lot about imagining.
    I drank some tea and hot chocolate, if I am right. Their service was good. I wish I could taste some of their pastries, but I was always so full because of the Christmas Fair.
    It also has a restaurant section which I haven’t visited.

Favorite Dish: Hot beverages

• metallemon's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud House: Old and fabulous cafe

by metallemon Written Dec 12, 2006

It’s the most known Hungarian café at Vorosmarty ter. And it’s also the oldest café in Budapest. It’s built at 19th century and until today it holds this old style. It offers a great variety of delicious cakes and different kind of coffees. The place is separated to a café and a restaurant. It’s a must-visit place and I’m sure that you are going to be impressed by the interior.

Favorite Dish: I liked more the cakes because it was delicious and fresh and I also liked the variety of coffees, especially one cold coffee with caramel syrup and cream.

• hungariangirl896's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud House: A Classic Hungarian Institution

by hungariangirl896 Written Aug 21, 2012

Salami sandwich

Gerbeaud is a place you must try once. Although it is most famous for its pastry, cakes, and coffee, they also run a pub, restaurant, and ice cream stand. Gerbeaud dates from 1858 and is extremely elegant and grand in appearance. Although it can be a bit touristy at times and it's a little more expensive than other places, the cake, food, or coffee will never disappoint. Cakes to be sampled include Dobos, Esterhazy, Sacher, apple, and blueberry poppyseed. The Gerbeaud of course has their own signature cake, the Gerbeaud slice ("zserbo szelet" in Hungarian). The Onyx restaurant serves dishes such as caviar, goose liver, veal tenderloin, poached oysters, blackened goat cheese with walnut praline, and hazelnut raspberry cake. The coffeehouse is so fancy and elegant. The service is also really great. In a way, to experience Gerbeaud is to experience Budapest. :)

Favorite Dish: My favorite cake is the Dobos... a classic Hungarian cake with chocolate cream and a piece of crunchy caramel on top. To drink, I recommend simple coffee with milk or (on a hot day) the iced coffee with vanilla ice cream.

• Robert_Hun's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud House: Irresistible cakes

by Robert_Hun Updated Mar 25, 2005

The spectacular exterior

Probably the most famous Hungarian cafe and confectioner's.
    Elegant building, classical interior, large scale of Hungarian and international cakes, pastries, creams and coffee.

Favorite Dish: Somloi (sponge with whipped cream and chocolate) and Dobos cake (chocolate) - both are typical Hungarian.

• Delia_Madalina's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud: Famous for a good reason

by Delia_Madalina Updated Nov 6, 2010

Gerbeaud logo

Often "condemned" for being too touristic, Gerbeaud makes up for it with its history, wonderful interior, delicious cakes and chocolates and great gifts to take to the loved ones.

It's lively place, with a mixed local-tourist crowd, a bit noisy after 111 but I guess it's the perfect place for an early coffee.

Under the same roof there's also a restaurant, Onyx, which I didn't visit.

Some information from the history book:
    The cafe is decorated with rococo plaster work in Louis XV style,; the chandeliers and wall lamps in Maria Theresa style.

A bit of history:
    The first cafe was opened in Josez nador Square in 1858 by Henrik Kulger, the 3rd descendant of a confectionery family. In 879 it was moved to Vorosmarty Square.

Prices:
    A delicious Cafe Late was only 3 Euros.
    A tiramisu 6 Euros.

Favorite Dish: My favorites were the gifts bought: mini cookies for 1490 Forints (aprox. 6 Euro) and Eszter chocolates for 1900 Forints (approximately 8 Euro).

• Gerbeaud House: Don't bother

by vpatui Written Dec 7, 2006

We wanted to go to Vershamrty Ter for the festival, so the hotel recommended Gerbeaud House. It's a very old establishemnt. We ate in the formal dining area.

The dinnig room is very well appointed. Could have been very romantic.

Although we were the only diners for most of the evening, our waiter was able to make us feel not very welcome. The food was so so, and they tried to pass off old opened wine as acceptable.

I had the lamb dish which was dry although the sauce was good. My wife had chicken was "not amused". We declined deserts which brought a scowl and the waiter tossed the desert menus down on a nearby table with thump and a disgusted look on his face.

There was a private party going on in the next room and their rock music intruded into the dining room.

Given that we were the only diners, you would have thought we would have been waited with civility and attention, but that didn't happen.

I really could not recommend this restaurant.

Favorite Dish: The goulash soup was very good.

• susiederkins's Profile Photo

Gerbeaud House: Mouthwatering cakes

by susiederkins Written May 17, 2005

I had expected to feel a bit out of place in the grand cake house. The chandeliers, high ceilings and graceful surroundings made me question my choice to wear jeans and trainers that morning. However, the place is unpretensious, and I felt perfectly at ease among the varied clientele.

The array of cakes is dazzling, and the hardest part is choosing which one you want to try (of course, you could always come back for another later!) Browse the display first, to see what the cakes look like, as the menu doesn't feature extensive descriptions.

Grab a coffee to sip with your cake - I'm not a big coffee drinker, but a cappuccino was the perfect accompaniment to my treat.

Favorite Dish: I only tried one type, but I would gladly rush back for another: Esterhazy torta. It's a many-layered cake with thin layers of some sort of cream. It wasn't too sweet; just delicate and wonderful. I chose it solely because I have a degree in music, and learned all about Haydn and the Esterhazys, and though I don't know if this cake is named for the same family, it tickled me.

Instant Answers: Budapest

Comments

Hotels Near Gerbeaud House
1114 Opinions