Kek Rozsa Etterem - Blue Rose Restaurant, Budapest

4.5 out of 5 stars 6 Reviews

1077 Budapest, Wesselenyi utca 9 +36 1 342 8981, 461 09 44

• Delicious grilled pork with bacon & potatos,yummy!
    Delicious grilled pork with bacon &...
    by Laura_Mexico
    Tim With His Lunch
    by johngayton
    Restaurant Frontage
    by johngayton
  • Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Blue Rose (Kek Rosza): Very fair prices, food ok!!

by Laura_Mexico Updated Oct 3, 2011
    Delicious grilled pork with bacon & potatos,yummy!

Coming soon

Favorite Dish: The summer menu included a goulash soup cup, a salad, a main dish (grilled pork with fries) and a dessert (sponge cake with chocolate sauce and whipped cream on top), all very good portions for only 2700 HUF (about 10 EUR, drinks not included)... and the waitress even gave us a card for a 10% discount for the next day (it's a pity we couldn't go back).... I thought that was very nice! The food was pretty good, although the goulash was a bit greasy and not too tasty (my opinion, I liked Szlovak's goulash A LOT better), but the main dish and the dessert were pretty good and it's all genuine hungarian food... service was nice too. Remember that all restaurants charge you a 10% of the bill for the service, so you don't have to tip anymore.

• jonathanbarker's Profile Photo

Blue Rose: Not just Goulash, more goulash

by jonathanbarker Written Sep 20, 2011

I love the Blue Rose Cafe in Wesselenyl Street, just off to the left of the Great Synagogue, great for Goulas and other Hungarian food, desserts devine
    www.keksruzsa.hu

Favorite Dish: All types of goulash, and their desserts

• MarceloRO's Profile Photo

Blue Rose: An Hungarian family and tourist restaurant

by MarceloRO Written Aug 24, 2011

There are times one just likes to feel local and experiencing the Blue Rose Restaurant is a real joy! There were 2 large families comemorating something, there were other locals and even some "lost" tourists like us! The beer was cold, the goulash soup hot and very tasty, and the pork dish (w/ paprika and sided with brow fried potatoes was good, too. What else to ask for? Ah, te price was also good.
    Thus, we had a perfect dinner! If I lived in Budapest, I would be there every once in a while just like going to Bar do Walter, in my home town, Porto Alegre, Brazil.

Favorite Dish: Well, as our first nite there, we played our role: we asked the Hungarian menu. This was a goulash soup as entré, a pork with paprika and bacon sided with brown potatoes (fried with their skin), a salad and a traditional desert.

• Study Abroad

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Kek Rosza (The Blue Rose): Quirky Service But Excellent Food

by johngayton Updated Jan 26, 2011

Chicken in the Kedvessy Style

This is very much a local's restaurant situated in the heart of Budapest VII's former Jewish area, on one of the streets leading from the main synagogue. It's the sort of place that I would have been unlikey to find on my normal meanderings and so was grateful to be introduced to it for an excellent, and very inexpensive, lunch by our very own Budapest8, Tim Vale.

This is a Spartanly chic little establishment with its blue decor, tasteful ornamentation and unlaid tables - cutlery and napkins are self-service from a dish in the centre of each table. Service was a little haphazard with our waitress disappearing half-way through our ordering but that was partly our fault for being indecisive and at least the beers arrived promptly even though we hadn't actually finished ordering our food.

Ambience-wise though this had a very pleasant local buzz with every table in use during the course of our mid-week January visit and of course the smoking section had been the first to fill!

Favorite Dish: Once we'd finally managed to complete our food ordering our lunch was soon served and delish it was too. I'd chosen the "Chicken in the Kedvessy Style" (I've no idea what, whom or where Kedvessy is!) which turned out to be grilled chicken breast finished with a rich gravy made from coarsly chopped livers, subtly-seasoned with paprika, and zinged with a dollop of soured cream.

With a portion of boiled rice topped with very tasty sauteed mushrooms this was exactly what I was after for a light, yet substantial, lunch and my total bill, including a large beer, being about 2000 HUF was a true bargain.

• Beer Tasting

• budapest8's Profile Photo

Kek Rozsa Etterem - Blue Rose Restaurant: A great little place in the centre of town

by budapest8 Updated Jun 14, 2006

View of entrance with synagogue in background

I visit this place quite often as I live
    well 4 days of the week round the corner.
    It's a small place so fills up during lunch time
    and early evening.
    Menus in English and Hungarian.
    Service is good and quick, it's a place where
    locals eat.They have a lot of English football
    paraphenalia on the walls as it's World Cup
    fever right now. There is usually a TV on all
    day and night which is typical for small Hungarian
    places. HUNGARIANS DO NOT EAT IN RESTAURANTS
    WITH GYPSIES(Roma) Playing violins while you eat!
    This is almost for the benefit of tourists.
    Be care full to not get there to late as it begins to
    slow down(IN THE KITCHEN) after 9.15pm
    There is a no smoking area too.

Favorite Dish:
    Chicken or pork dishes
    with a nice cold beer then
    a cappuchino.

I will paste what the restaurant web site says below

"Our restaurant is a traditional Hungarian second-class eating place, one of the cheapest restaurants in the city. In the broad food-selection do of course lot of international foods belong as well. Beside the eternal valid menu our daily offer needs advertence as well, in which we would like to agree with the different taste worlds. From most of our courses is putting together half portions also possible but the kitchen is only open until 9 PM. Our company does not operate local delivery, but ordering everything from the menu to take away is possible and that food can be packed on request. The accessibility of the restaurant is really simple – its distance from two main roads is only a few meters – but parking is many times a difficult task in the city. Paying is at the moment only possible in cash but except Hungarian forint are euro and American dollar accepted. The bank automat is in a distance of 50 m. In the three separable rooms – which are are-conditioned – can be eighty guests at the same time accepted. Under our regular guests we also have circles of friends and workplace collectives, from which one of the oldest is the Mensa HungarIQa association. One of our rooms is of course always for non-smokers reserved. All three, in Hungary existing general meal-tickets and for warm foods available tickets are accepted. Everybody is expected with love – everybody must be convinced: the restaurant is not accidentally full on most of the days in a year."

Great little no frills good eating place!
    All pics except 1 I took are from Blue Rose

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• mean_green_leftovers's Profile Photo

Kek Rozsa Etterem - Blue Rose Restaurant: Cheap n' decent

by mean_green_leftovers Written Dec 12, 2004

K��k Rozs�� (Blue Rose)

The Blue Rose is a nice little restaurant that serves what you would find in most Hungarian restaurants. It is a rather cheap restaurant, with an atmosphere that is nice, but without any frills. They didn't have the best goulash that I have tried here, but it was cheaper than most and from what we all had, the other dishes are pretty good.
    From my experience, the service is a little faster than other places, and when they bring out your check, they don't hover around you until you pay, which is pretty standard in Budapest.

Instant Answers: Budapest