Local Food, Budapest

4 out of 5 stars 20 Reviews

• Turska's Profile Photo

Places around the city: Rolled bun stalls

by Turska Written Oct 20, 2013

I just found out, that the real name is kürtőskalács. Hard to remeber, so we will keep calling them "rolled buns". It even sounds so "friendly". And even more, when we say it in Finnish "rulla-pulla"..
    We just loved these things, they were so tasty. Like the top level from Finnish "korvapuusti" bun, but it is "top level" whole bun, because it is hollow.
    They are tasting the best eaten close to baking. We did bring one back home also, but it wasn´t as "cruchy" from the top anymore.
    The best ones we got near the fishermans lodge, coming from funicular.

Favorite Dish: We loved the one with coconut best.

• Turska's Profile Photo

Many places around town: You must try "langos"

by Turska Written Oct 13, 2013

There was several places offering these at 2006. Little more difficult to find at 2012, but at least at market halls they still had those. Our first ones were close to the zoo. Didn´t vivit it this time, so we don´t know if the langos stall is still there.
    Langos is like some sort of wheat bread deep fried in oil. So it´s not any kind of health food for sure ;)
    This photo was taken in Szentendre.

Favorite Dish: We think the best one version is the same we first tried. It is served with garlic (great, most things get better with garlic!) , sour cream and grated cheese. I´m not sure, but I think the "original" might have been only with garlic and sour cream.
    At the famous big market hall we saw now a shop serving them with so many toppings, that it was hard to seperate them from some kind of pizza! I wouldn´t like that!
    These simple ones are around 2 to 3 euros, and quite heavy, so it is enough for a lunch without all those extra toppings also. At least it was for us!

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

Langos: Typical hungarian snack

by Laura_Mexico Updated Oct 17, 2011

This tip isn't about a particular restaurant, but about a snack that they say - or so I read somewhere - that you must try while in Hungary. You can find it in many places but it's rather a snack or sort of fast food, so you won't find it in most "big" restaurants.... it's rather small stands or specialized shops where you'll be able to find them. They are cheap, huge and fulfilling, so if you don't eat a lot (like myself) you can make a full meal out of one of these!

Langos are big flat circles made of dough (thick) and deep-fried in oil. Then you can put all sorts of toppings on them, both savory and sweet. I found a stand where they sold them just outside a metro station (they were closed at 2 PM so maybe the guy was having lunch or something, but after 4 PM they were open again) and they only had savory options: cheese, bacon, cream, beans, etc. But then I went to the big Budapest market and they had all these sweet treats to put on your langos: jam, sugar, cinnamon, syrup.... so I guess both are just as popular. You may see what langos look like in the picture, and also that right behind these "samples" they had a bunch of ingredients (cheese, onion, corn) to put on your langos. They were rather pricey in the market, since it's a touristy spot, but there are other places around town where you can buy them cheaper (one langos is probably 2 USD or so).

Favorite Dish: I asked for a cream-bacon-cheese langos and it was really good. The only thing I don't love about these things is that they are soooo saturated in fat and so greasy, that they just can't be too healthy, and you get all dirty while eating them too. But we have that kind of stuff in my country too, so I'm rather used to it and I did enjoy it.

Sweet langos @ the main market

• azz8206's Profile Photo

Affordable Lunches and Expensive Dinners

by azz8206 Updated Oct 9, 2010

I don't know the name of this restaurant but I do know where it is located. It's located across from the City Park and behind Hosok Tere.
    In the evenings this is one of the most expensive restaurants in all of Europe where a dinner for two could cost you upwards of 15000euros. But at lunch this restaurant is open for tourists and locals alike. Your lunch won't be as expensive as dinner, only 12euro.
    I didn't eat here so I couldn't tell you how the food was but if people are paying 15000euros for dinner then the food must be good, even for lunch.

The restaurant behind Hosok Tere
    • Castles and Palaces

• halikowski's Profile Photo

Meat!

by halikowski Written Aug 16, 2010

Butcher's shop on the right side of the street as you head out of town. At lunchtimes it serves food. Very popular with builders and manual workers. As you might imagine, the menu tends to be meat and `savany ujsag', pickled vegetables, better for winter perhaps. But the place has a special atmosphere, and the meat looks good.

• whiteritter's Profile Photo

Budapest: Hungarian food

by whiteritter Written Jun 7, 2009

I've tryed cow dug with spices,Hurka(special fryed hungarian sausage),Halaszli(Hot freshwater fish sоup with paprika),Gulyash and a good bottle of Tokayi Bor.Everything quite delicious.Theyr sweet paprika is one of the best in the world.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

Hot Hungarian Baumkuche

by mvtouring Written Apr 15, 2009

These are simply the best! I discoved them a few years ago in Romania. You can have them sprinkled with nuts/chocolate/coconut or cinnamon sugar. You eat them nice and hot directly from the friendly baker on the street corner.

Favorite Dish: Cinnamon sugar ones

• ophiro's Profile Photo

Raday Street: trendy restaurants and locals

by ophiro Written Jul 9, 2008

Raday street is very trendy street , with many good restaurants , cheaper than Vaci Utca , a lot of locals sitting in the restaurants and drinking wine or beer , or enjoying a talk with friends while eating.

Most of the restaurants have menu on English and German beside the Hungarian one.

Favorite Dish: we ate on Red Cafe - check the tip.
    The food was very good - onion soup , hungarian style chicken shishlik and steak.

Raday Street Red cafe , a great restaurant

• ophiro's Profile Photo

Vaci Utca: Restaurants for tourists

by ophiro Written Jul 7, 2008

On Vaci Utca you will find a lot of restaurants for tourists.
    A lot of the waiters stand outside the restaurant and welcome you and try to offer you to check their dishes and menu.

Most of them have the same offer - a soup for starter , a light drink or a beer and a meat/chicken dish.

a sample menu on vaci utca

• balfor's Profile Photo

For the vegetarians out there...

by balfor Written May 27, 2008

If you are not amazingly hardcore about the facilities being Vegan with no meat products in the area, I would say that you will not have a difficult time in Budapest. Almost every restaurant I went into had some sort of main, side and appetizer dishes that would befit a vegetarian. I don't know how a Vegan would fare, but as I am a fan of pork, beef, etc. I did not pay THAT close of attention to the menu offerings from a vegetarian viewpoint.

But a vegetarian shouldn't have any problems finding good food without meat while there.

• DurhamTom's Profile Photo

Alfodi Vendeglo: Cheap Hungarian Goulash in City Centre

by DurhamTom Written Jul 1, 2007

Small local restaurant on a sidestreet a couple of minutes walk from Deak Ter Metro Stration. Hungarian local fayre on offer, however the stew / goulash seemed to contain little in the way of meat! Unlike what we are used to in England, the beef is extremely fatty (like most Hungarian restaurants) and contains many 'unusual' shaped pieces of organs. This is made up by the fact they have fantastic stodgy bread to start with, hot out of the oven - a texture similar to suet dumpings! The accompanying curd is also very tasty and something you need to taste as an example of proper Hungarian heavy dinners!
    Nonetheless extremely cheap and with the ubiquitous Hungarian live folk music.

Favorite Dish: Fresh bread / suet dumplings on the table on arrival.

• Juyish's Profile Photo

Other restaurants: Look for Specials

by Juyish Written Jun 25, 2007

Look for specials, also don't overlook the small cafe's that sell Turkish food, they can be very inexpensive. At night we would go to Vaci Street and try different resturants by looking to see who had a better deal such as the tourist specials. Ask in advance what it comes with and what is included in the meal. The majority of the folks at the restuarants basically all speak english so don't be discouraged.

Favorite Dish: The Hungarian Goulash is amazing it's pretty much like beef stew but more flavorful. Their Gypsy roast is also great so if you want to try local taste, try their staples.

• SueWarwick's Profile Photo

Pertu Station: Nice simple food

by SueWarwick Updated Aug 30, 2006

Sat outside in the restuaurant which got very busy when I went (around 8 pm)
    I started with goulash soup (paprika flavour sauce with meat, potato and carrot) served with bread. Main corse was steak served with roasted potatoes, goose liver and peas in a paprika sauce.
    Washed this down with some Hungarian wine and finished with a coffee

Unlike some restaurants, gratuities are not included in the bill, if you want to tip, add about 10-15% to the cost.

When the underground train stations underwent a renovation, Pertu Station got a a few fixtures and fittings, lamp posts and rails. These are displayed in the restuarant

Favorite Dish: Great meat based stews.
    There are some good value set menus from 2900 HUF (about £7) expect something similar to:
    Palinka
    Goulash soup
    Hungarian style Chicken breast
    Strudel with cherry and apple

Not a great picture sorry!

• Other restaurants: Picnic lunch in Old Town

by DebbieLA Written Jul 2, 2006

We found a grocery store on the corner just across the street from the park next to Fisherman's Bastion. The grocery store had a deli counter. We were able to get a sandwhich, chips and soft drinks very inexpensively. The park across the street has picnic tables hidden in the very back. We found the picnic area to be a nice break from the tourist crowds.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Princess Food Stand -- Eating cheap

by Ewingjr98 Updated Apr 4, 2006

For our first few hours in Budapest we wandered trying to get our bearings. After looking for recommended restaurants in the area which all seemed to be closed, we ended up at Szena Ter and Moszkva Ter north of Castle Hill. Here we ducked into the entrance of the somewhat-sleazy Moszkva Ter metro station and picked up a few meat-filled rolls at a neat little food stand. They tasted like little sausage or pepperoni rolls, were pretty filling, and cost just 180 HUF each (0.83 USD). The little shop was called Princess.

• Trains