Places to eat in Budapest

Most Viewed Restaurants in Budapest

• shavy's Profile Photo

Local Food at the Market

by shavy Updated Jul 17, 2014

Strolling to the market was worth it, we didn't expected to see foods around, at first we roam to the souvenir areas, is a big market everything here is local made. And to the last round we came to the food area, we stood in front while they preparing and after awhile you will drool. It is so good to try! it didn't take a minute before we tried

Before taking this trip, we've been to a travel fair in Brussels where each country can participate and able to sell a local products such as food for example. So, we have tried Hungarian food already, we know goulash is their specialty but during the fair I didn't see goulash probably is too well-known

Believe me there are other delicious than goulash, in the market I don't know what they called it, but in that case I didn't care, they were very tasty and cheap! If might not the fanciest place to eat but I always willing to try local specialty

Local food Something to try too
    • Architecture

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Bagatellini: Coffee, Cake and Bread

by gordonilla Written Jul 14, 2014

After I finished my Friday afternoon meetings, I left for the weekend. The hotel was a few minutes walk away and I dropped off my bag and then went out to explore MOM Park.

I had a relaxing walk around the shopping centre and stopped for coffee and cake (two actually!) just as things were closing.

Favorite Dish: Please, Please, Please do try:

"Esterházy torta is a Hungarian cake (torta) named after Prince Paul III Anton Esterházy de Galántha (1786–1866), a member of the Esterházy dynasty and diplomat of the Austrian Empire. It was invented by Budapest confectioners in the late 19th century and soon became one of the most famous cakes in the lands of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy.

Esterházy torta consists of buttercream spiced with cognac or vanilla, sandwiched between four to five layers of almond meringue (macaroon) dough. The torte is iced with a fondant glaze and decorated with a characteristic chocolate striped pattern. There are, however, many different recipe variations. In Hungary, the original almonds have been entirely replaced by walnuts."

Exterior Esterh��zy torta and coffee plus another cake

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Da Lello Étterem: An Italian in Budapest

by gordonilla Written Jul 14, 2014

The restaurant was a short walk from our Budapest office. It was in the MOM Park shopping centre. It was enjoyable and quite busy. Good service and good food.

Favorite Dish: Chicken Milanese, rosemary potatoes and a mixed salad

Exterior Lunch

• Tigris restaurant: Foie Gras specialist

by tan1415 Updated May 28, 2014

After carefull deliberation...i chose Tigris as the place to be for my Foie Gras.
    I chose the fresh foie Gras with fig and fennel.
    I felt it as a bit underseasoned as a whole and it didnt blew me away as I hope.

But everything was great. Very nice restaurant. With a great location.Just off the Vaci street and the river. Waiters were really nice professional even when I arrive at 2200 after going to the opera and having dinner eslewhere. Even though we ordered a dessert(not so nice according to people I was with) and teh foie Gras. They treated as really really nice. Even had an amuse bouche...even though i didnt really enjoy it.

What i loved was the tokaj wine i got. Mesmerizingly golden in colour. So sweet and warm...like drinking the juices of the sun.

Anyway this may sound contradictory...even though the food was less than expected...I wont mind going there again to give them a second chance. I guess service and ambiance really inlfuence me somehow.

Favorite Dish: They specialises in Foie Gras.
    But what i love was the Tokaj wine.

• Business Travel
    • Wine Tasting

• Trofea Grill Etterem: Local favourite:Free flow Nirvana

by tan1415 Written May 28, 2014

It's free flow nirvana in food and drinks and at what prices. One of the greatest deals ever.

Trofea comes so highly regarded by the locals. Their eyes simply lights up when i ask about it. And it didnt dissappoint.
    Concept has been done before in other countries..and has been done better. Food wise. But when you consider teh drinks and the prices...Trofea is simply unbeatable.

Let me start with the bad. The grill. Simple cheap meats that has been nicely seasoned is grilled and after 5 minutes you get to pick it up. Not bad, but not great either. Simple. IMO ok.

The good. The buffet. From the dessert bar with lot s of pastries. To the regular buffet and coldcuts lineup. Lots and lots of hungarian specialities. IMO if you want sample some local dishes ..this is the place to go. I like it. Because this is not a tourist trap.(most are locals) teh local food is quite good and seems quite authentic. From venison to Pig trotters and Gulash. quite tasty. Matter of fact I enjoyed this more than the grill meats section. And they dont let things hang out to long...the dishes keeps on coming from teh kitchen.

The best. Free flow drinks. And I am not talking just soda and beers. but it includes wines and even sparkling wine(aka champagne) Served not by the glass...but by the bottle. Also the fruitjuices were included. When we ordered 3 glasses of the sparkly...we got a bottle along with some strawberry juice to make our own cocktails with. Omg it's so delicious. Unforgettable experience. And Hungary being a wineproducer meansthey are quite ok.
    Also if you like Foie Gras...they have foie gras pate. Of course AYCE. Quite tastey even though gerbeauds was better. There it cost you 3500ft for 4 slices. Here...well you get the picture.

This place is a MUST eat when you visit Budapest. You will get one of the best values dinnerwise ever anywhere in the world. Enjoy a huge array of local delicacies and dishes thats actually quite good. The free flow of drinks is quite awesome. A no brainer if you want to arrange any kind of parties.

Oh yeah when you arrive after 9pm..you will get an extra discount of 500ft per meal. And dont worry in Hungary people stay and eat up late. Even at 2200...on a wednesday night it was busy and active.

To make this place truly first class. Better meats and fish at the grill sections.

Place is very highly recommended. Unbelieveble it's not reviewed yet in VT.

Favorite Dish: The Buffet, from Foie Gras to other local dishes like Goulash.
    If you want to taste local favourites this is the place to go. Cheap and really tasty.

• Business Travel

VAR BISTRO & CAFE: GOOD - REASONABLY PRICED FOOD

by balhannah Written Apr 18, 2014

It was time to find somewhere to have a meal!
    We had finished looking at Buda Castle and were walking along the pedestrian area on Castle Hill when we saw a sign out the front of the Bistro. It was for an all inclusive meal - we thought quite reasonably priced. It was very busy inside and quite hard to find a seat.
    It was Buffet style dining, food was good and we had no complaints, we would return again.

Var Bistro/Cafe

PATISSERIE AUGUSZT: LOVELY FOOD IN HISTORIC BUILDING

by balhannah Written Apr 1, 2014

After plenty of walking around Budapest, our legs were feeling rather weary and our stomach in need of replenishment.
    We happened to come across the Patisserie Auguszt. At the time, I didn't know it was a family run business that has been run by five generations. It was first established in 1870, making it one of the oldest Patisseries in Budapest.

People seemed to know about it, no wonder, as the cake & pastry display was overwhelming!
    What to choose! Well, we eventually made up our minds and ordered a coffee & cake each and were given a table number. We decided to head upstairs, a good choice, as we looked down onto the chandelier, had a good view of the wall paintings on the ground floor.
    It wasn't long before our coffees & cake arrived - We both agreed - very good.
    After a rest and a use of the Toilets, we made our way downstairs to pay, and then onto the street to continue our walking tour of Budapest.

Opening hours: Monday-Friday 9 am to 7 pm, Saturday 11 am to 6 pm
    Sunday closed

Auguszt Patisserie Auguszt Patisserie Auguszt Patisserie Auguszt Patisserie Auguszt Patisserie
    • Women's Travel

ECO CAFE ANDRASSY: 95% ORGANIC FOOD & COFFEE

by balhannah Written Mar 12, 2014

As we didn't have anything with us to cook breakfast, we started walking along Andrassy avenue near our Apartment in hope of finding a Café.

It wasn't long before we came across some appealing tables & chairs outside the Eco Café. Inside we went, happy to see NO smoking was allowed.

The Café had a good selection of pastries, cakes, snacks, drinks, ALL ORGANIC.
    Everything is baked fresh that morning and all is 95% or more organic. Butter, not margarine is used, organic veggies and cheese to make sandwiches - pick your own fillings.
    They have 7 different organic coffee-types and 20 kinds of organic leaf teas, variations of black, green, white, herbal and fruit teas. Lactose-free, organic soy, rice and oat milks are available at no extra charge. Also there are organic syrups to try out. Flavours are Hazelnut, vanilla, caramel or coconut latte. I can't remember which we chose for our Latte.

We both chose carrot cake, then went outside to sit and people watch on this busy road. It wasn't long and our Carrot cake and coffee arrived. The carrot cake was moist and yummy, one of the best I have eaten. Coffee was good, so we had no hesitation in returning here the next day!

The Café was quite busy, so many people must know about its quality, service and use of organic food.

Open:Monday-Friday: 7:00 AM-8:00 PM
    Weekend: 8:00 AM-8:00 PM

Organic carrot cake Eco Cafe
    • Seniors
    • Women's Travel

• grayfo's Profile Photo

Hard Rock Cafe: Hitting it Hard

by grayfo Written Jan 21, 2014

The cafe is located within a UNESCO World Heritage building and is spread over 4 levels, plus an outdoor dining area in the spring and summer, the Rock Shop is situated on the ground floor, as you walk into the building. The main restaurant, bar, kitchen and the performance stage are all on the 1st floor whilst the top floor commands excellent views of Vörösmarty Square and Váci Street. The walls are covered with the usual memorabilia one comes to expect from the chain; including items from Madonna, Janis Joplin, Michael Jackson and Tina Turner to name but a few.

Seats 220.

Favorite Dish: Hickory-Smoked Bar-be-cue Ribs, Fries and Beans

• Architecture

Fulemule: District VIII: Jewish/Hungarian

by antistar Updated Oct 29, 2013

This was my first foray into district eight dining after over two years living in Budapest, and it proved to be a real tasty little hideaway. Mixing Hungarian with (non-kosher) Jewish dishes differentiates this restaurants food from the hundreds of others in the city, but it's the quality, taste and great service that makes it stand out.

Don't be surprised to find it empty or close to it. It's a little more expensive than the average Hungarian eatery, and it's a little too far off the beaten tourist path to be popular with foreigners, so they seem to have been struggling through the recent recession. Don't be put off by it's quiet location: go straight in and enjoy some good Hungarian cooking.

Food wise expect lots of goose. You can even get chilled goose fat dumplings covered in paprika. But you can get other food too, including steak and cholent (a kind of Jewish stew) based dishes. There's even a vegetarian dish (a rarity in Hungary), and you can mix together some of the starters, like pita and humus, to make a hearty meal.

All the dishes are quite big and filling, so even hungry eaters might struggle with more than two courses. Don't worry, though, as they don't mind you taking the leftovers home in a doggy bag.

Despite its name (fulemule means nightingale in Hungarian) the place shuts quite early, at 11pm, so turn up with plenty of time to eat and enjoy a good glass of wine. The wine list is excellent and reasonably priced.

Favorite Dish: Couscous and Feta with a bottle of Thummerer Blauburger.

Walhalla Club: District VII: Local Eating and Drinking

by antistar Updated Oct 29, 2013

The Walhalla Club can't make up its mind. Is it a restaurant? Is it a bar? Is it a club? Is it a pool hall? It's also a hodge-podge of styles. It calls itself the Walhalla Club, but you won't find anything Scandinavian here. The beer and food is strictly Hungarian, although there is Fosters on tap. Once you get past the Viking themed exterior, you go downstairs into what looks like a Japanese garden, complete with glass bridge over flowing water. If you follow the life size replica of the Bayeux Tapestry (which kind of looks a bit Viking if you didn't realise it represents the invasion of Britain by French Normans) you will find yourself in an American style pool hall, complete with bowling alley at the far end.

Now don't get me wrong - it's a fine place to eat and drink. The food is good, the drinks are reasonably priced and the pool tables are high quality. It's just weird. But maybe that's part of its charm. I'd certainly go back!

Best point: Perfect for large groups. There's something to please everyone, and the long tables downstairs fit a lot of people.

Walhalla Club, Budapest

M Restaurant: District VII: Hungarian

by antistar Updated Oct 29, 2013

M is one of the progressive Hungarian restaurants trying to push the cuisine beyond the vein busting goose fat and bacon of more traditional etterems. Its menu is short and ever changing, but always inventive, especially if you take a chance on the "vegetarian surprise".

If you order this, and you are lucky, the chef will come to your table and ask what ingredients you hate, so that this doesn't turn into a nasty surprise. Even though I didn't get this special treatment, the food itself was special: I didn't really know what was in the dish, but the flavours matched and contrasted fantastically. There was coriander, cinnamon, a little chilli and a lot of pumpkin.

The restaurant itself is a bit of a surprise too. It's easy to miss from the street, and if you didn't know it was one of the best restaurants in Budapest, you might easily think you'd wandered into some cheap eatery. The walls are covered in brown paper, as are the tables, and a rough paper menu will show you what's available that day.

But it all adds up to a unique feeling, and definitely a top contender in the Budapest restaurant scene.

Il Terzo Cerchio: District VII: Italian

by antistar Updated Oct 29, 2013

Rated as one of the best restaurants in Hungary, I have to admit I wasn't overwhelmed. The food and service was fine, but nothing special. And it was relatively expensive by Budapest standards. The dining area, though, was very pleasant, with lots of wood and brick and a vaulted ceiling.

My pasta dish sounded great: ricotta and walnut ravioli in a gorgonzola sauce, but it's presentation and execution was a little flat. White pasta, with white filling, in a white sauce in a shallow white bowl, with not even a sprinkle of herbs to brighten the scene. It tasted pretty good, but it was a very small portion. For over 2500 forints (including a obligatory 10% service charge) it wasn't great value.

The pizza looked a lot better, and they had a genuine wood fired brick oven for the perfect pizza base. The pizza, like the rest of the cooking, is claimed to be authentic Tuscan. The pizza was very good by Hungarian standards, and at around 8 euros was definitely the value buy. The base was fantastic, and the sauce had a distinctly sweeter, fruitier flavour than I'm used to with traditional Napoli pizzas. Not sure I preferred it, but it was good.

Il Terzo Cerchio, Budapest Il Terzo Cerchio, Budapest

Wasabi: District VI: Sushi

by antistar Updated Oct 29, 2013

Not quite Nobu but decent Sushi at a decent price. The restaurant on Podmaniczky utca was the first conveyor belt sushi restaurant in Budapest back in 2005 or something. Today it has branched out to several restaurants around the city. It has a huge menu, the sushi is good by Hungarian standards, the ingredients are fresh, and it even has a decent selection of vegetarian options. It's definitely my favourite sushi runner in Budapest.

It's also the restaurant where I discovered a surprise entry on the menu. Check out the picture.

Favorite Dish: The sushi is good. The noodles are so-so and a bit greasy.

Special Menu Item, Wasabi

Taj Mahal: District VI: Indian

by antistar Updated Oct 29, 2013

After three years in Budapest this is my new favourite Indian restaurant. It's as good as anything you might expect to find in the UK and better than pretty much anything I've eaten on the continent. There are other good Indian restaurants in Budapest, but none have been able to match the consistent heights of Taj Mahal. The prices are a bit above average for Budapest, but the quality matches the price.

The restaurant itself isn't anything special. It's functional and everything you'd expect from a good Indian: clean, gaudy and with Indian pop music playing in the background over tinny speakers. The service is friendly and fast, and seems mostly staffed by young Hungarian women who speak English but don't appear to be able to offer expert advice. I wouldn't come here for a romantic night out but I would come here for a damn good curry.

Favorite Dish: Anything tikka is particularly good. The paneer tikka masala is addictive.

Budapest Hotels

Mercure Budapest City Center
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 9 Reviews
Boscolo New York Palace Hotel Budapest
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Budapest Apartment 4 (Locust Tree Apartments)
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 5 Reviews
Novotel Budapest Congress
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews

Instant Answers: Budapest

Comments

Budapest Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Budapest locals.
Map of Budapest