Places to eat in Budapest

Most Viewed Restaurants in Budapest

• antistar's Profile Photo

Pizza Marzano: District I: Pizza

by antistar Updated Oct 29, 2013

Hungarians generally don't make good pizza, but if you are hungering after a slice of Italian pie, then you can't go far wrong with Pizza Marzano. A branch of the same high-quality pizza chain in the UK, Pizza Express, Pizza Marzano is pretty much the same thing.

There are a few branches in Budapest, but this one is on Battyany Ter, overlooking the Danube and the Parliament building. It's huge, the service is good and the prices are reasonable. It's also open when many other places are shut, as we discovered on Christmas day.

• Turska's Profile Photo

Places around the city: Rolled bun stalls

by Turska Written Oct 20, 2013

I just found out, that the real name is kürtőskalács. Hard to remeber, so we will keep calling them "rolled buns". It even sounds so "friendly". And even more, when we say it in Finnish "rulla-pulla"..
    We just loved these things, they were so tasty. Like the top level from Finnish "korvapuusti" bun, but it is "top level" whole bun, because it is hollow.
    They are tasting the best eaten close to baking. We did bring one back home also, but it wasn´t as "cruchy" from the top anymore.
    The best ones we got near the fishermans lodge, coming from funicular.

Favorite Dish: We loved the one with coconut best.

Belgian Brasserie Henri: Paradise for Belgian beer lovers

by Turska Written Oct 20, 2013

I found this place from my guidebook. Since we are big fans of Belgian beers, it was like made for us. They had several beers we had never seen before. (Not so common to find the "new ones" for us.) And the prices were half or less from what you pay in Finland for this kind of specail beers.
    We sat for some time, and both took 3 beers, all different, so we both could taste 6 beers (zipping each others glasses).
    Many people were eating clams, and we thought it was only food they had, but we were wrong. I just checked their web page, and noticed we could have had chicken or steaks also (we don´t like seafood). We are going to Budapest again, and we will try their food at next trip!

Favorite Dish: The great beers! I was planning to put this to "nightlife", but after reading the menu, I changed my mind.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Peppers!: Something for Everyone

by shrimp56 Updated Oct 18, 2013

While there are good Hungarian dishes on the menu, Peppers! location in the Budapest Marriott requires that American tastes be considered. So you have pork and more pork and goulash alongside steaks and burgers. It seems to be the main restaurant for the hotel, thus open all day, which puts weight on a kitchen that is trying to be somewhat upscale. The barn-like space is nicely divided into several zones, using metal mesh curtains. The kitchen is open and there is a good view of the Danube as well as Castle Hill and the trolleys that along the river front.

I had the goulash twice and found it delicious and very similar to the goulash I make at home from my Hungarian cookbook. The salads were interesting, but lacked the flavor profile we expect in a good restaurant. Service was mostly good, although the servers' English was variable.

Since the Marriott was just across the street from my hotel, Hotel Zenit Budapest Palace it was a very convenient place for dinner.

Favorite Dish: The Goulash.

• Business Travel

• Turska's Profile Photo

T.G.I. Fridays: Not a Hungarian one..

by Turska Written Oct 13, 2013

Yes.. I know.. Many of you say we are stupid to go to Fridays in Hungary.. But I must say: There is no Fridays at Finland so it isn´t something we can eat "back home" and we really do like many of their foods. They have great steaks and we just love the loaded potato skins. They aren´t well known in Finland, I have not seen them in any Finnish restaurant.
    And (SORRY!!!) we haven´t found so many Hungarian food we like. Problem is not in the food, it is in us, we are not "eat everything" -people.
    We had very good food this time in Fridays again. I had fried chicken fillet and my husband did have fajitas. After we had eaten loaded potato skins of course..

Favorite Dish: Loaded potato sknis.. They do have very good steaks also.

• Turska's Profile Photo

Many places around town: You must try "langos"

by Turska Written Oct 13, 2013

There was several places offering these at 2006. Little more difficult to find at 2012, but at least at market halls they still had those. Our first ones were close to the zoo. Didn´t vivit it this time, so we don´t know if the langos stall is still there.
    Langos is like some sort of wheat bread deep fried in oil. So it´s not any kind of health food for sure ;)
    This photo was taken in Szentendre.

Favorite Dish: We think the best one version is the same we first tried. It is served with garlic (great, most things get better with garlic!) , sour cream and grated cheese. I´m not sure, but I think the "original" might have been only with garlic and sour cream.
    At the famous big market hall we saw now a shop serving them with so many toppings, that it was hard to seperate them from some kind of pizza! I wouldn´t like that!
    These simple ones are around 2 to 3 euros, and quite heavy, so it is enough for a lunch without all those extra toppings also. At least it was for us!

• wdh2880's Profile Photo

Alagút Bisztró: Light at the end of the Tunnel

by wdh2880 Written Sep 18, 2013

The location is not very shiny: at the other end of the tunnel at the Chain Bridge, but it surely is worth the walk through the ghastly tunnel (you could take the bus/taxi through it or climb over the hill of course).
    The Alagút Bisztró and Café is a cosy Pub which seems to be mostly frequented by local middle class people. It has a large TV on one side of the bar showing a sports channel. If there is no major match on, they play unobtrusive lounge music. They have Wifi.
    The menu is short (and available in English). Tonight it was even shorter than normal, because they were transitioning into another menu the waiter explained. Through a window behind the bar you can see the cooks preparing the food.
    The waiter was a pierced young lady, yet friendly and attentive. As many waiters in Hungary, she was fast bringing menu and food, but shy in bringing and collecting the bill.
    Apart from the standard draft and bottled beers, they also have their own (?) microbrews. I had the 6° 'bitter and honey'; quite good for a non-belgian beer.

Favorite Dish: I had a delicious onion soup followed by a savory Camembert 'schnitzel' with apples, berries and rice.

• Business Travel

• shavy's Profile Photo

Local Food at the Market

by shavy Updated Aug 31, 2013

Big market where you can buy souvenir and some local stuff, they also selling local food as well, you can see how they are preparing. Try tasting it as you will be regret leaving the city without testing their local food at the market

• hungariangirl896's Profile Photo

Szeged Vendeglo: A Traditional Hungarian Restaurant

by hungariangirl896 Written Aug 6, 2013

The Szeged Vendeglo is a very traditional Hungarian restaurant not far from the Danube. If there is a particular Hungarian dish you want to try, then you can probably find it here. The restaurant’s specialty is food from Szeged, a city in southern Hungary. The place itself is very large and can accommodate large groups. The dining room is decorated with Hungarian folk art, fish nets, and dark red fabric. This is a place to come to if you’re really hungry, since they serve large portions. The most popular dishes here are the Szeged-style fish soup as well as the trout and carp. Other dishes include beefsteak with crispy onions and goulash soup. Live gypsy music can be heard in the evenings. The service here is great and we got our food pretty quickly. The location is great since it’s next to the Gellert Hotel and is close to the river, so you can go for a nice walk afterwards. I recommend this restaurant to anyone who would like to try good Hungarian food.

Favorite Dish: The stuffed cabbage was excellent! It came with plenty of sauerkraut and pork meat on the side.

• Wine Tasting

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Bohemia: Fab Food, Wonderful Wine and a rather Tasty Tout!

by johngayton Updated Jul 30, 2013

The little square of Liszt Ferenc, just off the Oktogon, is one of Budapest's "restaurant quarters" with its dozen or so eateries clustered around its central garden. Unlike many other similar locations around Europe here the restaurants compete against each other by proclaiming their individuality, whereas in, say, Brugge the cafes around the market square are pretty much one of a oneness.

Whilst I have discovered some other Budapest gems, most noteably (so far) the Central Coffeehouse, I still like this square and I also like the fact that the restaurants all have their touts outside trying to catch whatever trade they can. I know a lot of people don't like the idea of touts outside restauarants but me I do. The great thing about the touts (or meeters and greeters if you want to call them that - maybe sounds better but I'm still happy with "touts") is that you can have a quick chat about the menu, get things explained for you, and then make your decision as to whether to eat there or not based on that.

On this visit - a chill, dank, January midweek evening about 8 pm - the shivering tout outside Bohemia bade me a welcoming "Hi" and so I had a quick look at the menu. There was no hard sell and as I handed her the menu back and said I was going to have a walk round the square she cheerily said something like "Hope to see you again."

I had my wander round the square, a couple of the other touts variously beckoned me and I duly considered their wares but there was just something about Bohemia that had caught my professional instinct as being worth giving a try.

I wasn't disappointed at all and there's a tale to follow about paying the bill.

But first let me get back to the restaurant. So I sidled up to the tout and whispered in her ear, "Any chance of a table for one, doll?"

"No problems sir - smoking or non-smoking?"

I've just fallen in love (lust!) with this woman!

The restaurant itself is an atmospheric twin-floored piece of perfectly Bohemian egalitarianism with its wood panelling, open brickwork and a really buzzy ambience. Being mid-January I assume that most of the clientele were locals, well I didn't notice any foreign accents (except of course my own), and the couple sitting next to me simply had a bowl of pasta each whilst the table in front were going the whole hog and giving the menu a serious work-out.

I also noted that you are as welcome to just drop in for a beer or two as you are for a meal and they not only have bar stools (with ashtrays at the bar!) but also quite a good range of beers - locals and some Belgian crackers.

I was in the mood for treating myself and so went for the "Truffled Duck Liver Pate with Tokaji Grape Sauce and Brioche" to start and then followed that with the "Tenderloin of Beef with Olive and Sun-dried Tomato Gravy, Chive and Sour Cream Potato and Pancetta Rolled Fine Beans".

All good stuff and very trendily presented.

Hmmm...A few faults though:

Favorite Dish: The truffled pate was superb - rich with just a hint of truffle which left the liver to speak for itself. The accompanying sauce though was too bland to cut the richness of the pate (a splash of vinegar in it would have worked better) and the brioche was too complex with its seeded coating.

The fillet steak was a good tasty piece of meat and I was especially impressed by the fine beans wrapped in crispy pancetta. The jacket potato was fluffy and the chive and sour cream dressing a tasty addition.

Not so impressed with the "Olive and Sun-dried Tomato Gravy" which tasted of neither olives nor sun-dried tomatoes and wasn't even made from a decent enough stock to call it a "gravy".

Such is life but overall this was a good meal. The bottle of Takler Pince's Kekfrankos 2008 was duly lush and whilst my bill came to 14,400 HUF which is towards the most expensive part of eating out in Budapest it wasn't overexpensive for the holistic experience.

I did have a final surprise or two though!

The 14,400 bill included a 12% tip and so I gave my waiter 15,000 and waited for my 600 change. The change duly arrived and I didn't click on at first but for some strange reason I got 3,900 back instead of the expected 600.

I tried to catch the waiter but he wasn't interested in me any more. The manager though caught my signs of a "customer in distress" and asked what the problem was.

Having explained that I had too much change I was treated to a glass of the house's best Palinka and my waiter thanking me profusely as the shortfall would have had to come out of his own pocket.

As I left, feeling both replete and suitably righteous, my gorgeous tout asked whether I'd enjoyed my meal. Upon replying and telling her that she was the best part of my experience we ripped each other clothes off and made mad passionate love in the middle of the leafless trees on the square - Ach, to hell with January weather in Budapest there are always ways to keep yourself warm ;)

PS The last bit isn't true.

• Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• halikowski's Profile Photo

Kehli Inn, Obuda: On the Gyula Krudy trail

by halikowski Updated Jul 26, 2013

One of the biggest gourmands in Hungarian literature is the journalist and writer Gyula Krudy. His stories recite the sour lungs, cabbage, Wiener sausages and csirke paprikas he feated on when his finances allowed. His favourite restaurant was this one, and there is a plaque in his name. Accompanying literature: Michael Jacobs's brilliant Granta guide on Budapest; Krudy's 'Life is a Dream', although I appreciate his less rumbustuous more nostalgic and fantastic novels written when he was younger, like 'The Adventures of SIndbad'.

• hungariangirl896's Profile Photo

Fragola Fagyizo: The best ice cream in Budapest

by hungariangirl896 Updated Jul 13, 2013

Fragola serves the best ice cream in all of Budapest!! The ice cream is "Italian style" and is very rich, creamy, and flavorful. They don't even scoop the ice cream, instead they use what looks like a cake-frosting utensil to scrape the ice cream into a cone or cup. It is not the cheapest ice cream, but it is definitely worth a try because you won't try anything like it in another place. When you taste the ice cream, you can automatically tell that real, natural ingredients were used and not artificial flavoring, chemicals, etc. Examples of flavors include pistachio, chestnut mascarpone, cabernet sauvignon, chocolate chili, lemon basil, dark chocolate lavender, caramelized fig, lemon ginger, grapefruit, coconut nutella, pomegranate yoghurt, coffee, cinnamon plum, raspberry, camembert cheese, green apple, and chocolate mint candy. It is not uncommon for people to come back for a 5th or 6th scoop! It is also open a lot later than all the other ice cream places. :)

Favorite Dish: The best flavor at Fragola is the Sicilian pistachio. This ice cream is not really sweet...it has a very creamy and almost salty flavor like real pistachios! When we come to Fragola, my husband always gets at least 4 scoops of this.

Irish Cat pub: Small irish pub

by ophiro Written Apr 11, 2013

Just outside the hotel i;ve stayed in , i found a nice pub with a cat logo outside.
    The pub , Irish Cat pub , is a small pub , that serves some irish beers and some local.
    The owner was very nice , i came in a quiet time so e talked a few minutes.

Although the beer prices in Budapest are very cheap , and the price here was also , still i paid a little bit more than beers in Raday.

I bought Dreher and it cost me 600 HUF (he included the tip although i sat on the bar !)

Favorite Dish: I bought only Dreher beer

Pampas: Great Steaks

by ophiro Written Apr 11, 2013

Pampas Steakhouse is a great restaurant very close to the Market hall and Vaci Utca.
    The restaurant is very beautiful inside and the staff is very friendly (and also speaks very good english).

The food is very good and not too expensive although more expensive than the avarage.

Favorite Dish: The Angus steak was excellent , made exactly like i ordered.

• Luxury Travel

Puder: RuinPub - Puder

by ophiro Written Apr 9, 2013

On Raday Street there is nice local pub that is mentioned in Ruinpubs.com
    The interior of the pub is very beautiful , the food is tasty and service is excellent.

Favorite Dish: The soproni demon is an excellent beer that i first tasted here in Budapest.

Budapest Hotels

Marco Polo Hostel
Latest: Apr 6, 2014
Mercure Budapest City Center
Boscolo New York Palace Hotel Budapest
Budapest Apartment 4 (Locust Tree Apartments)
Latest: Jan 30, 2014
InterContinental Budapest
Art'otel Budapest, by Park Plaza
Four Seasons Gresham Palace
Domina Inn Fiesta
Latest: Mar 22, 2013
Sofitel Budapest

Instant Answers: Budapest

Comments

Budapest Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Budapest locals.
Map of Budapest