Marquis de Salade, Budapest

4 out of 5 stars 6 Reviews

1065 Budapest, Hajos utca 43 +36 1 302 40 86

• Marquis de Salade
    by sunshine9689
    Larissa76 (at the right) and me :)
    by IngaA
    chicken is mine
    by Natalie77
  • hungariangirl896's Profile Photo

Marquis de Salade: Great Azerbaijani Food...

by hungariangirl896 Written Feb 18, 2013

Marquis de Salade is a very interesting restaurant with a quiet ambience. The restaurant itself is located underground in a cellar, so it has a cozy feeling. The brick walls are decorated with Azeri carpets and photos of Baku. The service was excellent and I didn't have to wait a long time for my food. They have a very extensive menu, so sometimes it's hard to choose. On the menu, choices are marked with either an Azeri, Hungarian, or Russian flag to show what type of cuisine it is. You can order a set 4-course menu from either of these cuisines, or you can order a la carte. Some of their many offerings include various salads, homeade yoghurt, Russian salad with red salmon caviar, lamb meatball soup, borscht, grilled chicken saslik, beefsteak, king prawns in white wine and garlic sauce, grilled salmon, stuffed vegetables, baklava, whole baked apples, and chocolate soup. Only Hungarian wines are served. The menu items are very unique. Whenever I go to a restaurant more than once, I usually start to order the same things every time, but here I would definitely want to try something new each visit. I definitely recommend this place if you like to try new things. Overall, it was a great experience.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dishes were the Sudaba-hanum salad with lettuce, spring onion, cucumber, and pepper with lemon honey dressing and the Dushbare (lamb soup with meat dumplings and mint). The salads were extremely fresh and the soup was very flavorful.

• Wine Tasting

• Marquis de salade: very disapointing

by ena0104 Written Nov 19, 2010

we went there cause it was recommended in two travel guides. don´t believe it.
    we waited 50 minutes for the meal (there were only 3 more couples there) and it was not good at all. the portions were very small, the price absolutly too high and there were flys in the vinegar and oil dispensers. when we ask for new ones, they brought us some, but there were also flys in it. 10 euro for a so-called "marquis de salads"-salad (some pieces of cucumber and paprika, 5 pieces of chicken, which were definitlely cooked too long and some shrimps from the chest freezer) which didn't taste good...far too expensive and it was not worth being called "salad"! the noodles (15 euro) were not al dente at all and the seafood on top from the chest freezer too (and u really had to search for them...there were only a handful on the noodles).
    we didn't have to pay for it, because we told the waiter about it...but we spent round about 2 hours there...monumental waste of time and nerves.

• sunshine9689's Profile Photo

Marquis de Salade: Good Azerbajanian cuisine next to the Opera

by sunshine9689 Written Apr 4, 2006

It`s a bit pricy (two of us paid $45 for 2 main dishes and beer) but I really loved the taste of the food.
    The interior was cool too: village style.
    The waiter was kinda funny: kept saying 'thank you' after every word coming out of my mouth. :-)
    We did wait a little long for our food though.

• IngaA's Profile Photo

Restaurant “Marquis de Salade”: Azerbaidjan-Hungarian-Russian restaurant????

by IngaA Updated Mar 4, 2003

Larissa76 (at the right) and me :)

Don't take the restaurant's name wrong and don't try to take one syllable out, LOL

Yes!! It exists. Here in Budapest, in "Heart of Europe" :)
    I didn't suppose anything like that but recently my Moldavian classmate organised his b'day party there. It was great. The interiour is in Azerbaidjan village style, with carpets on the stone walls. Our party was in a cave built room, it was very romantic indeed.

btw, since my VT friends Larisa (Kitten_L) is a new VTer, I can even say we had a mini VT-meeting there :)

Favorite Dish: We had salads, Moldavian wine (Moldova b'day :), fried chicken wings, lobi and pasties with meet, potato & cabbage.
    And cakes of course but they were not "national" :)

• Study Abroad

• siwi's Profile Photo

Marquis de Salade: Marquis de Salade

by siwi Updated Jan 19, 2003

Although not a vegeterian restaurant, has the best variety in town for those who eschew meat. Huge menu with dishes from around the world, but as the proprietress is from Azerbaijan, we come for delicious Adzheri and Georgian food. Lamb dishes are especially good. The sweet abd savoury kidney bean purée is one of many delicious appetizer dips with pita bread. All in all, try and book the gorgeous Oriental carpet-lined cove in the cellar.

• Natalie77's Profile Photo

Marquis de Salade: Asian, Middle Eastern cuisine

by Natalie77 Written Jun 8, 2003

chicken is mine

Although this restaurant is known as one of the best vegetarian restaurants in the city, as you can see from the picture I had a pleasure to have a chicken with a Russian salad "Olivie".

• Study Abroad
    • Seniors

Instant Answers: Budapest

Comments

Hotels Near Marquis de Salade
5.0 out of 5 stars