Muvesz Kavehaz - Artist Coffee House, Budapest

• german_eagle's Profile Photo

Művész Kávéház

by german_eagle Written Mar 28, 2010

Műv��sz K��v��h��z

This is another one of the typical old coffeehouses. It is located almost vis-a-vis from the State Opera, thus it is only natural that it draws an artsy crowd. I had walked by in the afternoon and thought it looked charming (it was built 1884 in Neo-Renaissance style and properly restored in 2008).

I went in after the opera. It was not very busy but enough for some people watching and chilling.

Favorite Dish: I had a Long Island Iced Tea which was pretty good (and strong!). The check was HUF 1568. They had added a 12% service charge to the price of the cocktail so I rounded up to HUF 1600.

• m-joy's Profile Photo

Muvesz Kavehaz - Artist Coffee House: Cheese cakes!!!!!

by m-joy Written Jan 10, 2005

Müvesz Café
    Nomen est omen: this little, old fashioned, cosy café in Andrassy ut is called the artists café (or one of them). Marble, Wood, many small tables in a quiet small room with ancient decoration and above all: brilliant cakes and tarts and good coffee for reasonable prices, so all in all a very nice place for stopping by. Try the cheese cake!!

• caffelatte's Profile Photo

Muvesz Kavehaz: A real good coffeehouse

by caffelatte Written Jul 9, 2008

I am bit skeptical about the famous coffeeshops. Somehow, they tend to be very formal with waiters in uniforms and sometimes snobbish (because they are famous now). But Muvesz kavehaz was an exception. The capcuccino was good, price was reasonable (400ft), location is great (Andrasi ut), and above all the waitress was nice, always smiling. one of my favorite coffeeshops ever. It is a place where you can sit, sip coffee and watch the crowd on Andrasy ut.

• kadybay's Profile Photo

Muvesz Kavehaz - Artist Coffee House: Opulent Coffeehouse near Opera House

by kadybay Written Jun 9, 2005

The interior of this coffehouse is beautiful, lots of gold and red. Cappuccino was wonderfully strong, and the pastries looked delicious although I didn't sample one. Waitstaff were a bit surly. All in all it was a lovely place to pass an hour and forget about the rain and cold outside.

Muvesz Kavehaz - Artist Coffee House: Budapest: CafeCulture Pt 2

Chandelier and lighting

During my 10 weeks residency in Budapest I frequented this old coffee house on a daily basis. There I got to meet the locals and interesting passers by. Also I rediscovered my drawing talents with the use of those rather useless free post cards - thus using the back of them as my drawing pad. So during the last weeks in Budapest I made many drawings focussing entirely on the atmosphere of the Cafe Muvesz, while spending my time over a good cake and a coffee.

Favorite Dish: Most of the cake selection

Muvesz Kavehaz - Artist Coffee House: Budapest: Cafe Culture Pt 5

Sound Technician

During one of my frequencies to the Muvesz there was a film crew producing a TV doco interviewing some of the older regulars who were part of the Opera Company across the street. In other European cafes they would close the who place down for such an eleberate event, but in Budapest it was business as usual. For me yet another interesting subject to draw.

Muvesz Kavehaz - Artist Coffee House: Budapest: Cafe Culture Pt 7

Johnny - Long term local visitor to the Muvesz

One of my Hungarian friends I'd met at the Muvesz - Johnny, was there almost every day like myself. However recently another friend Frank, from the US, I'd met during my stint there says Johnny's not going any more. Sadly the Muvesz is becomming a bit of a tourist trap chassing off some of the locals. So if your one of those tourists - behave your self!

The Muvesz Coffee House: Budapest: Cafe Culture Pt 1

by Intrepidduck Updated Feb 2, 2006
    The moods of the cafe interior

This is one of the great unknown coffee houses of Europe, only recently discovered, but fortunately not on the tourist trail yet. It's slightly faded genteel atmosphere adds to the general character of the place. Little has changed since "The Muvesz" (the artist) opened it's doors in 1899, although during my 10 weeks of daily frequent to this establishment in 1998 they closed for 3 days. That was to change the wall paper. Here you will find several generations of the theatre community, generally senior, as it's just across the street from the Opera. Under the grand chandeliers, in a golden lit space, drink good coffee away from the hords of tourists and meet the locals.

Favorite Dish: In the true Hungarian sense a cake fetishist dream at a sensible price, infact the last time I was here they were under the coffee price.

Instant Answers: Budapest

Comments

Hotels Near Muvesz Kavehaz - Artist Coffee House
3.5 out of 5 stars