New York Cafe House(under reconstruction), Budapest

5 out of 5 stars 5 Stars - 5 Reviews

1073 Budapest, Erzsebet korut 9-11. N/A

• New York Cafe House(under reconstruction)
    by URBANNO45
    Coffee service
    by URBANNO45
    Cappuccino
    by 1courage
  • hungariangirl896's Profile Photo

New York Coffeehouse: A Very Elegant Coffeehouse

by hungariangirl896 Written Aug 23, 2012

This coffeehouse has been open for over a century and of course has attracted many serious writers over the years. The interior is very extravagant, elegant, and beautiful. If you are in the area and have time, you should stop here for a coffee (at least) and see the inside of the New York Palace building. More than just coffee is served here...you can choose from a wide variety of breakfast dishes, goose liver, sandwiches, the New York burger, spaghetti with red wine and beef ragu, beef goulash with homeade soup noodles, and celery cream soup with smoked duck. The desserts include cheesecake with homeade jam, Dobos cake, Sacher cake, or a platter of Hungarian cake samples. You can also order ice cream or try one of the many different kinds of wine they have to offer. The food is very tasty, but if you don't have a lot of time, then at the minimum try one of their coffee drinks.

Favorite Dish: My favorite coffee drink here is the iced coffee with vanilla ice cream! If you want to eat something, I can recommend the New York burger with french fries and mixed salad or the caesar salad with anchovy and grilled chicken...they are equally delicious!! It's hard to choose because the burger is on a ciabbata bun, while the salad has a very tasty vinaigrette dressing. I guess you'll just have to try them both. :)

• Luxury Travel

• ozalp's Profile Photo

New York Cafe House: Breathtaking!

by ozalp Written Mar 3, 2008

Interior

After a foggy and gloomy day in Budapest, we headed to New York Café via Great Synagogue. Our guide recommended us to see this café and I think it was the only good advice he’d given.
    Travels into middle Europe in December are handicapped because of cold. We wanted to stroll more, but we always had to stop and drink something hot. Thanks to the cafés and mulled wines around.
    When we reached the New York Café, the devils holding torches welcomed us. We were really in need of hot drink. But we couldn’t order before we completely examine the ornaments around. Its interior is breath taking. It is just a café but seems like a palace or something. The interior was so bright, we even forget about the gloomy day.
    We all wanted hot chocolate. It is a winter classic for me and mom. (I consumed hot chocolate enough for 2 or 4 years in December 2007, because of my travels to cold climates.) The waitress brought 4 delicious hot chocolates in big glasses. Mine had cinnamon aroma.
    This café helped us gaining energy for a good night stroll in Budapest.

Favorite Dish: Hot chocolate

• 1courage's Profile Photo

New York Cafe House: Neobaroque wonder/The New York cafe

by 1courage Updated Feb 13, 2008

Cappuccino and dobos cake

(the NY cafe has been already reconstructed; it`s open again since 2 years)

Sincerely, I don`t like cafe or cappuccino at all.

Why did I rated the New York cafe a very good experience the same?

Well, for me sometimes in a restaurant/cafe not only the "what" is important. Often also the "where" and "how". I think that with these scenes even a not so good drink or food tastes superb.

About the Dobos cake, wich is a typical hungarian s sweet, undoubtly this was the best I have ever eaten, but also the most expensive one. It`s true that if you eat or drink anything here, the half price you must pay for the privilege to enter this exclusive neo-roccoco magic and only the other part for the food/drink. But who cares?

No matter wether you`re tourist or local, rich or poor, this cafe is something that you must not miss if you`re in Budapest!

• pecsihornet's Profile Photo

New York Cafe House: The most famous café in Budapest

by pecsihornet Updated Mar 23, 2007

The most famous café in Budapest is the Café New York. It is situated in a 19th century Art Nouveau townhouse of palatial proportions. The café's opulent interiors and literary associations have endowed it with near mythical status. Like other cafés, it was originally popular with writers for purely practical reasons: it offered a warm refuge from cold rented rooms that they could scarcely afford - and paper and ink were gratis. Though today you're likelier to rub shoulders with fellow tourists rather than struggling scribes, the New York still counts editors of literary magazines among its habitués.
    When the café first opened, one of Hungary's most famous playwrights of the last century, Ferenc Molnár, and his colleagues tossed its key into the Danube so that its doors might never shut. Which means you can still enjoy a steaming hot cappuccino accompanied by a plate of somlói galuska, a triad of creamy, chocolatey dessert dumplings, or a host of other luscious offerings.

• traveloturc's Profile Photo

New York Cafe House(under reconstruction): wait for the construction

by traveloturc Written Jun 15, 2006
    newyork restaurant in budapest

When I use to lives in this city my favorite restaurant was Newyork Newyork
    I dont know why they called like this because with his baroque palace apparence ( golden decoration,red marbles etc ) it has nothing to do with newyork ...Anyway It was a good restaurant with live tsigane music too.I am waiting impatiently the new opening

Instant Answers: Budapest