Other restaurants, Budapest

4 out of 5 stars 33 Reviews

All over the city. Check tips for details.

• Other restaurants
    by tomerik
  • antistar's Profile Photo

Pata Negra: District IX: Spanish Tapas

by antistar Updated Feb 27, 2013

You're never going to find the best Spanish tapas in Budapest, but it's very good all the same. If you're tired of meat stew and potatoes, or want some vegetarian options, this is a good place to try. I found the tapas a bit hit and miss: some were great, some were good, some were ok, but none were awful. The lentil croquettes were particularly tasty.

There's a pleasant Spanish bar atmosphere, with everything from Gypsy Kings to Manu Chao on the speakers, and art house framed covers of bull fighting weekly. The wine list is good, and Spanish, and the service is also friendly and efficient. This place would make a fine start to a night out on the town.

Favorite Dish: Lentil croquettes.

• csordila's Profile Photo

Babel Delicate: Recommended by Michelin

by csordila Updated Dec 6, 2011

Babel

Not too far from Onyx this chic modern restaurant is often noted for its creative cuisine, small portions and high prices. It is one of the rare places where they focus not only on the taste of food but the sight, smell, and serving to create a truly memorable dining experience.

You can dine a la carte or choose from three menus:
    •Hungarian contemporary - costs: 18 000 HUF without drinks
    •Babel International - costs 16 800 HUf without drinks
    •Vegetarian - costs 14 500 without drinks

The wine list of Babel offers a wide choice of Hungarian wines quite a few of them can be ordered by the glass

• School Holidays
    • Seniors

• Shalimar Indian Restaurant: Fabulous Indian meal downtown

by cbarefoot Updated Apr 4, 2011

Shalimar Inside

Brace yourself for a truly royal feast in an authentic Indian setting hidden in downtown Budapest. You'll at once be transported to the Mughal Raj if you head down a couple of stairs at 50 Dob utca. The cooks have a rare flair for curries and tandoori dishes alike. Plus, an amazing variety of superb Indian food, would recommend it to anyone stopping over in Budapest. People seem to think likewise as the place was packed on a Wednesday evening. Will be back for their business special in a couple days for sure.

Favorite Dish: Well, on the first visit, I went in for the staple Mughlai dish "murg makhni", being as it is the test of an Indian restaurant - I wasn't disappointed. On the second, I felt an urge for trying "machli masala" and I had tandoori salad for entrée. If the tandoori salad was excellent, then the machli masala beggared description. Sabji raita is an excellent match for the machli masala. They are great at the naan-front as well.

• Auguszt Cukrászda, Coffee House: The best cakes in Budapest

by drpeter Written Aug 30, 2008

This place is absolutely fabulous! Cosy, has atmosphere, polite service and EXCELLENT cakes!
    If you want to relax and turn yourself off for a half an hour, visit this charming little cafe. You won't regret it!

Favorite Dish: They have traditional hungarian cakes and pastries (as well as little sandwiches), and excellent coffee. My personal favorite is XC which was made for the 90th birthday of the owners great grandfather, who was also a sweet-baker!

• tomerik's Profile Photo

Angelika: Local restaurant with nice terrace and view

by tomerik Written Jul 31, 2008

This local bar/cafe/restaurant located on the Buda side functions as a nice outdoor cafe during daytime and a restaurant in the evening. The location is great next to trams and the metro station Batthyany Ter and offers a superb view of the Parliament building which is just opposite. Seemed well frequented and a popular meeting spot by the locals who enjoyed some drinks after work.

Not the most attentive waiters even if they were numerous. Very good food with a wide selection of main courses. However only 5 different desserts on the menu.

Cheap and a very good quality/price ratio. Serves breakfast as well. Definitely a place to visit if not only to have a drink and to watch people spotting by.

Brasserie Henri: Belgian brasserie

Brasserie Henri

Located next to the Art'Otel on the Buda side this Belgian brasserie is a perfect place for a nice meal or just a couple of beers.
    Very friendly and attentive waiters. Delicious food at reasonable prices. Especially the desserts where something of it's own. Not too busy place with terrific view of the Parliament building. Small terrace outside.

Favorite Dish: Don't think you can go wrong here. See pic 3 for a view of the Belgian Chocolate Cake.

Tom George: Trendy restaurant in the inner city

by tomerik Written Jul 31, 2008

Chose this restaurant by it's nice decor and because it was one of the most visited and loudliest in the area. Got a table outside with a view of a beautiful enlighted church.

Staff was helpful and spoke good english but acted a bit cocky. However, food was good and we left satisfied. They've got quite an extensive cocktail menu as well. Food is oriented around Japan and indian dishes but you also find Duck, pasta and chicken. One of the most expensive restaurants we ate at but compared to western european prices it's still ridiculously inexpensive.

• balfor's Profile Photo

For the vegetarians out there...

by balfor Written May 27, 2008

If you are not amazingly hardcore about the facilities being Vegan with no meat products in the area, I would say that you will not have a difficult time in Budapest. Almost every restaurant I went into had some sort of main, side and appetizer dishes that would befit a vegetarian. I don't know how a Vegan would fare, but as I am a fan of pork, beef, etc. I did not pay THAT close of attention to the menu offerings from a vegetarian viewpoint.

But a vegetarian shouldn't have any problems finding good food without meat while there.

• Auguszt Cukrászda, Coffee House: Best coffee and cake in Budapest

by drszasz Written May 16, 2008

I have found the most charming little coffee house! It is called: Auguszt Cukrászda. It is hidden away in a little court, but it is definitely worth to find. It is like an oasis in the busy downtown of Budapest. I felt as if stepping back in time. Old chandeliers, wooden carvings, little marble tables. Quite a lot of people were there at the time of my visit, they all seemed Hungarians. The lady, who served them seemed to know them each, and had a few words with all of them. To my inquiry she told me, that she was the fifth(!) generation, who is continuing the family business, almost everyone in her family is a pastry cook, they have been baking cakes, for a 130 years now. Impressive! I tasted the E-80 cake she recommended, which was delicious. She told me they first made it for her grandfathers 80th birthday! If you want to see tradition in the making or just have a half an hour to pass in the downtown of Budapest, don’t miss Auguszt!

Favorite Dish: Kremes! Its fresh, its delicious, its a dream!

Tarnok Kavehaz: Pizza & Wine

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 2, 2008

Exterior of the restaurant

Located in the Old Town section of the city, this restaurant was okay. I was looking to have a glass of wine and something light to eat. I decided to grab a pizza and a glass of wine. It was cozy and pretty crowded and the service was good.

The pizza wasn’t quite as good as I had hoped. The particularly didn’t like the sauce. I particularly do not like sweet sauce and this pizza had a sweet taste to it. I had a few bites and decided to just enjoy a few glasses of wine. The waiter realized I didn’t eat the pizza and asked me why, when I told him about the sauce he was apologetic and asked that I choose something else from the menu. At this point I had lost my appetite and decided to skip ordering anything else. They took the price of the pizza off the bill and sent me a free glass of wine.

I thought that was really nice of them.

Favorite Dish: A pizza and some really good wine.

Anna Cafe: Pasteries

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 28, 2008

My cafe latte and dessert

After having dinner I decided to take a walk and find a nice café for some dessert. I walked to Vaci Street and found myself here. This is a full service café serving meals, drinks and of course desserts. It had a warm open feeling to it with a large counter and a huge screen T.V. I needed to jot down some information on my journal and this was a perfect place to do it.

Prices were reasonable

Favorite Dish: I ordered something along the lines of a Neapolitan Layer Cake and of course a café latte.

Bonnie & Clyde: Bonnie & Clyde

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 28, 2008

Exterior of the restaurant

I stumbled upon Bonnie & Clyde during my last evening walk around Budapest. I was starting to feel hungry after so much shopping and walking on Vaci Utca and decided to take a look at their menu. They serve mostly "Italian" dishes, pastas, pizzas, and salads..

It seemed like a great place for a large group or a cozy meal. The restaurant/bar is conveniently located on a corner with other restaurant and pubs surrounding it, but I like the menu and decided I would have my dinner here.

The waitress was very friendly and chatted me up a bit, she promptly took my order and came back with my drink.

I didn't wait too long for my meal to arrive nice and hot...

Favorite Dish: I ordered the Penne Quatro Formaggio and a Bonnie Blonde Ale to wash it down...it was so delish...

Belgium Brasserie: Leffe Blonde and Pomme Frites

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 27, 2008

The exterior of the pub

This was the only restaurant/pub that I actively seeked out. While doing research on hotels, one of the reviews mentioned this pub and the large selection of Belgium Beers (is like heaven in a glass). I'm not a fanatic of beer and will occassionaly have one or two as my choice of libation is wine or that heavenly spirit, Champagne, but, I do have a weakness for Leffe Blonde or any Blonde Ale from Belgium.

There is a full menu of delicious meals, but I just wanted something light to go with the beer. The restaurant/pub was not crowded, just a bunch of girls hanging out at the table next to me.

It's located at the foot of Castle Hill overlooking the Danube and a stones throw from the Sicklo.

Favorite Dish: Leffe Blond (of course) and a side of pomme frites....so, so good.

For Sale: Country restaurant

by Gypsystravels Updated Feb 27, 2008

Exterior of the restaurant

I was on my way back to the hotel and decided I needed to get something to eat before it got too late. Just a few blocks from my hotel and across from Central Market was this restaurant/pub. I took a peek in and noticed that the place was crowded with what seemed like locals, the restaurant’s menu was quite extensive and there was a band playing some Jazz, so I decided to have dinner here.

The first thing about this restaurant that will strike you as strange are all the business cards, notes and pictures of the many patrons who have dined here and straw on the ground. There are two levels for dinning or drinking and I was seated upstairs. The waiter was quite friendly and very attentive. There was a large group of Brits sitting next to me and the rest of the restaurant was full of couples.

On the table was a candle and a basket of peanuts. I wasn’t quite sure what to do with the shells until I saw everyone tossing them on the ground. They replenish the peanuts quite often, but I wasn’t about to spoil my meal.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the grilled chicken with garlic mashed potatoes with a side garden salad along with a Hungarian beer.

• Juyish's Profile Photo

Other restaurants: Look for Specials

by Juyish Written Jun 25, 2007

Look for specials, also don't overlook the small cafe's that sell Turkish food, they can be very inexpensive. At night we would go to Vaci Street and try different resturants by looking to see who had a better deal such as the tourist specials. Ask in advance what it comes with and what is included in the meal. The majority of the folks at the restuarants basically all speak english so don't be discouraged.

Favorite Dish: The Hungarian Goulash is amazing it's pretty much like beef stew but more flavorful. Their Gypsy roast is also great so if you want to try local taste, try their staples.

Instant Answers: Budapest