We were so fortunate that the evening of the day we arrived the Chain Bridge was closed to vehicular traffic and there was a Festival, complete with fireworks and the half moon was visible in the clear sky!
The bridges of Budapest connect the 2 parts of the city Buda and Pest. One of the bridges are particular nice, Szechenyi Chain Bridge. You will probably pass this bridge several times if you stay in the Buda side of the city and want to visit the Pest side. The bridge is busy, carrying a great deal of traffic. There are pedestrian lanes along both sides. Walking here gives a great view to the castle, and to the Pest side you'll see the city centre. Large boats are passing below the bridge on their route in Danube.
In 1832 , the earl Széchenyi started preparation to build this bridge. This is the oldest connection between the two old cities of Pest and Buda. The two famous builders of the
bridge over the Thames in London, Tierney William Clark and Adam Clark was awarded the assignment.
In 1849 the 375 meters long bridge was completed. today the bridge is a symbol for freedom.
The first idea of a bridge between Buda and Pest has an origin from King Sigismund of Luxemburg already in 1436. Also King Matthias Corvinus was pondering over the construction of a constant marble bridge, onto the sample of the Trojan bridge.
However, from the birth of the idea more than four-centuries were necessary, to open the first stone-bridge connecting Pest and Buda in 1849.
Count Széchenyi invited the English engineer Tierney Clark to design the bridge and the Scott Adam Clark was responsible for the construction.
The prototype was the nearly identical but smaller suspension bridge across the River Thames in Marlow on Thames/Buckinghamshire. A plaque commemorates the link with Marlow Suspension Bridge.
The new Chain Bridge, the first permanent bridge across the Danube below Vienna since Roman times was unveiled on 20 November 1849. Before this time in winter when the ice drift begann, it was possible to cross from Pest onto Buda via Vienna only. In 1898 was named after Count István Széchenyi.
By the way, on the reverse side of the new 200 forint medals the Chain Bridge is visible.
After completing the bridge, the Scott engineer Adam Clark went back to England, in order to visit his old parents; however, due to the ten years spent in Hungary, he became as much Hungarian, that he accepted no engineering jobs offered in London, but he returned into his new home land, in Hungary. The square, which can be found on the Buda side of the bridge has been named after him.
Several anecdota are connected with the bridge; the best-known is, that the lions decorating the bridgeheads do not have tongue; the lions have tongue of course, but from the street-level can not be seen.
The Chain Bridge is one of Budapest's most famous landmarks. The magnificent suspension bridge the river Danube between Pest and Buda, at the time still separate cities.
The first connection between Pest and Buda was made by the Chain Bridge or Széchenyi lánchíd, named after count Széchenyi, who took the initiative to build the bridge. In 1836 he gave the project to William Tierney Clark and Adam Clark. William Clark had already designed two suspension bridges over the Thames; the Hammersmith Bridge in London and the Marlow Bridge. The latter is a similar albeit smaller version of the bridge William Clark would design for Budapest. The construction of the Chain Bridge was supervised by the Scottish engineer Adam Clark (not related). The 375 meter (1230ft) long and 16 meter wide bridge, a superb engineering feat, was opened on November 20, 1849. In 1857 Adam Clark dug a 350 meter long tunnel through the Castle Hill to connect the bridge with the Buda hinterland. The bridge ignited the economic revival that would lead to Budapest's golden century and it was one of the factors that made the provincial towns of Pest and Buda into a fast-growing metropolitan. In 1989 people demonstrated on the chain bridge for freedom and independence. Since then, the bridge has become a symbol of Hungarian liberty
• This is really a must see thing! I would recommend you to start on the Buda side. Walk across the Chain Bridge on the right hand side, so that you will be able to look back to the Castle. The best time to do the walk is after down, when the lights are already turned up.
• The Tunnel under the Castle Hill is the home of Mr Janos Fazekas and his family, who is the master of the Chain Bridge. He lives in the apartment at the entrance of the Tunnel since 40 years. He still likes his job, even though he got lots of "funny" alarms from youngsters about the lions of the Bridge running away and so on. His duty is to keep the Bridge as it is, check the state of the chains and the structure and also to clean the Lions which occasionally "receive" hats and cigars in their mouth and other strange things.
The Széchenyi Chain Bridge or Széchenyi lánchíd in Hungarian is a massive suspension bridge that joins Buda and Pest in the most central of locations: from under Buda Castle to just in front of the Gresham Palace Hotel and the Academy of Sciences. That is, it goes from Roosevelt Square in Pest across to Adam Clark Square in Buda. The bridge was erected in 1849 and was named after its main supporter, Count István Széchenyi, in 1891. It was considered to be a wonder of the world when it was opened, and it still should awe you even today. There are some impressive lions, added in 1852, at either end of the bridge. Otherwise, it is really quite impressive thanks to its sheer size and span, and the grandiose architecture of the supports.
The chain bridge is a suspension bridge. It crosses over the Danube river and connects Buda and Pest. The bridge was opened in 1849 but was damaged during WWII and was rebuilt.
I found the bridge interesting especially the Lions guarding the entrances to the bridge. It looked beautiful in the daytime but even more spectacular lit up at night.
Among Budapest’s best known sights, the Chain Bridge is surely among the top five. Széchenyi lánchíd, so ist hungarian name, connects the Buda and the Pest side at the height of Gellert Hill. As the oldest permanent bridge leading over the Danube in Budapest, it has since eveer been an important part of Budapest’s traffic system. In 1849 it was opened and named in1898 after its initiator, Count Széchenyi. However, its name chain bridge is much more popular. With a center span of 202 meters, it was one of the world’s largest bridges at the tiem of construction. At night, the bridge is one of the most illuminated places in Budapest and so becomes a popular photo motive. On special ocassions, the bridge is illumniated in a different colour, for example when Hungary enetred the EU it was covered in blue light. The bridge has its own guard which has his office at the entrance of the tunnel. He’s resposinble for the maintenance of the bridge, but also has an eye on other issues on the bridges. So, don’t try to “decorate” the lions – you’ll get into some trouble.
Many anecdotes have been told about the Chain Bridge. A popular one is about the lions, which were place in 1852 at both ends of the bridge. Although they have tongues (they are just not visible from the point where you will see the lions), people mocked the sculptor about the lions not having them. In shame, he jumped from the bridge into the Danube. Another says that the tunnel under castle hill, which is right in front of the bridge, was just built as a shelter for the Chain Bridge when it rains. But there is also one interesting fact worth to mention: Everybody, even aristocracy who was exempt from taxation, had to pay the bridge toll. Today, of course, the bridge is free for use.
This is of the famous bridge running over the Duna/DAnube River. The count Szenchenyi decided to build a bridge to connect Buda and Pest after he was stranded and unable to seeing his dying father on the other side. It took him 10 years to make up his mind, but in 1836, the decision was made to build the bridge. Then it took until 1849 to get completed. It is 1260 feet long and about 40 feet wide. The lions at either end depict the power
Chain Bridge (Szechenyi lanchíd in hungarian) is maybe the most famous bridge in Budapest and the oldest one (the first permanent bridge).
It connects Adam Clark square and the Buda castle on the Buda side and Roosvelt square with the greesham palace on the Pest side.
The bridge is 202 meters long , and was built between 1840-1849.
The Lions on each side of the bridge are very famous and there is an anecdote about the lions :
Because of the height of the lions , the people can't see their tongues so they thought the sculpture forgot them.
When the people mocked him he jumped into the Danube and died.
This is the first permanent bridge of Budapest. The count István Széchenyi initiated the construction, in 1839. Built on the plans of the english architect, William Thierney Clark, from 1842 to 1849. The 4 famous lion sculptures wich guard the bridge are Miklós Marschalkó`s works (1852).
The bridge was 2 times modified, and in 1945 the germans blew it up. Fortunatley it could be reconstructed in only 2 years, and it hasn`t been at all modified, mantaining it`s original beauty. Only the little houses (cashiers) on both sides of the bridge were pulled down, because crossing the bridge became free of charge for everyone.
At the Buda bridgehead you find the 0 km, from wich the distances on all the highways are counted.
Sculpted by Janos Marschalko there are two massive stone lion's guarding the bridgehead of Chain Bridge. It is said that Janos was "heartbroken" because while sculpting the lions he forgot to give them tongues, so he drowned himself in the river. In all fairness to Janos, he did give the lion's tongues but you have to really get close to see them...
The Chain Bridge in Budapest is a suspension bridge which crosses the Danube linking Buda and Pest. It was completed in 1849 and was Budapests first permanent bridge. The two lions at each end of the bridge were added in 1852.
There is a square at each side of the bridge. On the Pest side is the Roosevelt Square and on the Buda side is Adam Clarke Square which contains the funicular railway up to Buda Castle.
This bridge crosses the Danube and joins Buda to Pest. On the Buda side the bridge is located at the foot of Castle District, on the Pest side it is located at the foot of Gresham Palace. Chain Bridge was the city’s first bridge and is a historical monument. It attracts many visitors especially at night when the bridge is beautifully illuminated. It is flanked by lions on each side.
The Chain bridge took 7 years to build and was opened in 1849. The construction was undertaken by Count Szechenyi, hence the name, and was designed by Englishman, William Clark. The bridge was the first bridge connecting Buda and Pest, and the next bridge across the Danube was near Vienna. It was destroyed during WWII, along with all the other bridges across the Danube. It is a great bridge to take a stroll across and it has great views down the Danube.