Kossuth Memorial, Budapest
Kossuth Square is the symbolic center of the Hungarian state it is surrounded by splendid buildings on all sides including the Hungarian Parliament. Other notable buildings are the Ministry of Agricuture and Museuem of Ethnography the area was developed at the end of the 19th century after the unification of Buda and Pest gave way to large scale construction projects beyond the old city walls
Walk around the square and admire the enormous Parliament building and the impressive neo-classical Museum of Ethnography
This square lies right behind the Parliament. It is named after Lajos Kossuth, a 19th century politician and freedom fighter often referred to as the Father of Hungarian Democracy. Some of the buildings that surround the square, including the Ministry of Agriculture and Ethnographical Museum, were originally part of the competition for the design of the parliament building. There are also numerous statues and monuments honouring some of the country's most important figures, including of course a monument dedicated to Lajos Kossuth, a statue of the Hungarian poet Attila Jozsef (next to the parliament), and a beautiful monument dedicated to Imre Nagy, a politician who acted as Minister of Agriculture during the Communist era. He was charged with treason and sentenced to death for the role he played in the 1956 Hungarian revolution when he decided to side against the communist party. His statue is located next to the Ministry of Agriculture. Although in 2006 and 2007 the square was the site of frequent protests, it is now a quiet, peaceful spot.
Lajos Kossuth was a great figure in the 1848 Revolution that, despite failing in its demands for Hungarian independence, was at least successful in leading to the Dual Monarchy in the 1860s and the elevation of the Hungarian language to some sort of official status within the Hapsburg Monarchy. In 1894, when Kossuth died, the Hungarian government decided to erect a monument to this statesman. The original plans were not liked by the people, by were adopted nonetheless, and construction went ahead until the First World War. When Hungary was occupied by neighbouring countries' troops after the war, the original monument was partially dismantled (it was not yet complete) and thus it was not until 1927 that the final monument was completed. This is not the monument that can be seen today - in the 1950s, the Stalinist dictator decreed that the statues were too pessimistic, so new ones were made that idealized Kossuth as an orator. Those are the statues that you can see today, in the square of the same name, just outside the Hungarian Parliament.
While the Hungarian Revolution of 1956 is still the most remarkable event in recent Hungarian History, also other periods should not be forgotten. In the late 19th century, Hungary had a breif period of prosperity. Although still part of the Habsburg Austro-Hungarian emprie, it gained some autonomy. This properity was expressed in form of architectural highlights of this time such as the Chain Bridge. Together with count Szechenyi (whose name is the official name of the Chain Bridge), Lajos Kussoth was one of the driving men in this time. He is displayed close to the parliament together with 7 figures representing the hungarian population. The square in front of the parliament is also named Kossuth square.
The Lajos Kossuth memorial is located very close to the parliament on Lajos Kossuth square in front of a nice and small garden with places to sit , trees and of course a lot of tourists taking pictures of the area or relaxing before or after visiting the parliament.
Lajos Kossuth is one of the leaders of the 1848 revolution.
The statue of Lajos Kossuth, the outstanding politician of the 1848-49 War of Independence, can be found in Kossuth Square close to the Parliament. The main figure of the composition seen today is the work of Zsigmond Kisfaludi Strobl. At its base the Balatonalmádi red stone pedestal is 15 metres long. The standing bronze figure of Lajos Kossuth is 5 metres tall. The other figures measure 4 metres and are the work of András Kocsis and Lajos Ungvári: peasant woman with child, peasant man with hat in hand, soldier, worker with rifle, student with sword, and armed horse herder in typical loose trousers. Today's monument stands at the place of a different composition. The assembly of the capital first suggested the erection of a Kossuth statue in Budapest on 21st March 1894, the day after Kossuth died. The original statue, made by János Horvay, was finally finished in 1927. The Carrara marble of the politician of the War of Independence stood on a wide limestone base; the surrounding figures were the eight ministers of the first responsible government. This monument was dismantled in 1952. The original marble composition by Horvay was first placed in the Mezo Imre Street Cemetery. It was later moved to Dombóvár, where it lay in pieces for a long time. In 1972 it was split into groups of one or two figures and, just as the relief, they were placed separately in the Peace Park.
Originally at the two sides of the Parliament where now you can see two statues, there were 2 nice wells.
Now on the right hand side (if you face the building from Kossuth square) you will find the statue of Lajos Kossuth (1802-1894). He was a great statesman, playing a key role in the liquidation of the feudal privileges.
He, together (sometimes disputing hard, but still...) with Szechenyi played a huge roll also in the great development of Hungary in that period.
Originally the statue reprsented Kossuth in the middle with 8 members of the first responsible ministry on the 2 sides. This staue (finished in 1927) was replaced in 1952 by the current one representing the 5 meter tall Kossuth together with characters representing the Hungarian people of the era: a peasant mother and father with her son, a horseherd, a soldier, a worker with a gun and a student with a sword.
Kossuth Lajos, 1802-1894, was Governor of Hungary during fight for independence and democracy.
He used to say: "All for the people and all by the people; nothing about the people without the people - that is democracy".
The monument is located in the park in between two parliament buildings.